can i take notes when i study the bible

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's why I didn't say that in my post.
Actually, you kind of did...

I HONESTLY CAN'T STRESS IT ENOUGH.... I truly don't think anyone should begin reading the Bible in any sort of serious way UNTIL they have read the book: "How To Read The Bible For All Its Worth." It really is that important a book to have under your belt.

Anytime anyone reads the Bible, it should be in a serious way.

I haven't read your book and I know that God has given me great insight into what the Bible teaches as the result of prayer apart from the instructions in your book on How to Study the Bible. I'm not saying it's a bad book, just that if someone hasn't read it they aren't up a creek when it comes to understanding God's word.

If anything should be emphasized, it should be prayer for understanding.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You're just bound and determined to try and make your little desire become a self-fulfilling prophesy, aren't you?

TheHolyBookEnds

Jun 12, 2018
Neighbour
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i am thinking of studying ... the bible ... KJV.

But i don't know how to study. ...
For electronic help, download E-Sword (it comes with the KJB) - e-Sword: Free Bible Study for the PC | Downloads

You can also use Blue Letter Bible - Bible Search and Study Tools - Blue Letter Bible and other resources found here - Link

It (E-Sword) might also come with "Treasury of Scripture Knowledge" (TSK Cross References) already to go (I forget, but it is also free to Download also), which is a great resource tool, for linking to other related passages, and generally only lists other texts, not so much commentary. It isn't perfect, but really helpful. You can also download the maps, and other commentaries (sometimes helpful, sometimes not), and things.

Another useful thing is the King James Concordance, and the Strong's Concordance it comes with, again, not for definitional use per se, but to be able to locate a single word throughout the OT and NT to find how the Bible defines the words, as per Genesis 40:8; 2 Peter 1:20; Isaiah 28:10,13, and so on.

Always pray, asking for guidance from God and for truth (since it was inspired of the Holy Ghost, and He is the teacher) before beginning any study, and make sure to look at every word in its context from beginning to ending (Genesis to Revelation) to understand the sense of how the words are defined, used. For instance, when wanting to understand how the word "sword" is used, look up every single passage with that word, and any variations of it (swords) and get the whole picture. The English of the AV is enough, and you do not need to know Hebrew and Greek.

If you would like a great overall walkthrough of the scriptures from Genesis to Revelation, in combination as you read, then see the following books -

Bible Readings For The Home Circle (Topical) - Link

Patriarchs and Prophets - Link
Prophets and Kings - Link
Desire of Ages - Link
Acts of the Apostles - Link
The Great Controversy - Link

Steps To Christ - Link

There are then deeper ways to study, for instance:

Defining the words according to the scriptural method [Isaiah 28:9-10], even like a Thesaurus:

Isaiah 43:7 - Even every one that is called by my name: for I have created him for my glory, I have formed him; yea, I have made him.

[A.] I have created him,
[B.] I have formed him,
[C.] I have made him.

Thus we see that the Bible defines words for us, even after a manner of a Thesaurus, for “created”, means “formed”, and means “made”. Did not need another book, any look at the Hebrew or Greek, did we? The whole King James Bible is like this. It is the True Bible in English. Look at Genesis 1:26 and Genesis 1:27. Again, see the words “created” and “made”. Though they are two different Hebrew words, even as the English shows, they mean the same thing. God does this all of the time, since it is written, that it must be, in the mouth of two or three witnesses, let everything be established [2 Corinthians 13:1, etc]. Notice the immediate surrounding words that are same, or similar.

1 John 1:1 - That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life;

[A.] which we have seen with our eyes
[B.] which we have looked upon

Notice that the words which are being defined or given in similitude, have surrounding words which are normally, usually, the same, “I have … him” [Isaiah 43], and “which we have” [1 John 1:1], etc.

A different example, one about “meter”, a musical sound, or cadence, movement, accenting upon certain portions of words, which make for easier memorization:

Psalms 73:2 - But as for me, my feet were almost gone; my steps had well nigh slipped.

[A.] 'Iambic' meter [there are many types of 'meter', this is one example]

But as … … for me, … …
my feet … … were al … … most gone:
my steps … … had well … … nigh slipped.

The accent is on the second words. In fact, raise your hand in a chopping motion and follow along, raising the hand on the first word, lowering on the second word, and see how it 'bounces' along, making for easy memorization.

This works really well in the psalms, since they are written for music, but it is also found in many other places in scripture. Notice, also the syllable locations and notice their parallels:

[A.] my feet
[B.] my steps

[A.] were almost gone
[B.] had well nigh slipped.

Try some other ones, like Isaiah 14:12; 1 John 3:24; 1 John 2:22, etc. One will find Rhythm, Cadence, Meter, Parallels, Syllable matching, Repetition, etc.

Another example, a more mixed version of syllabication:

John 16:29 - His disciples said unto him, Lo, now speakest thou plainly, and speakest no proverb.

[1.] 3 sets of 4, single syllables:

[A.] His … di … sci … ples
[B.] said … un … to … him
[C.] Lo … now … speak … est

[2.] 3 sets of 3, single syllables:

[A.] thou … plain … ly
[B.] and … speak … est
[C.] no … pro ...verb.

Many more examples could be given:

For instance, see Judges 9:2,4,5,18,24,56:

[A.] threescore and ten sons
[B.] his sons, threescore and ten persons
[C.] threescore and ten sons
[D.] seventy brethren

With this, we can even see how the Bible defines “score”, as twenty. Consider:

threescore and ten = seventy

subtract, “take away” [Proverbs 25:4], “ten” from both sides; for the “ways of the LORD are equal” [Ezekiel 18:25] and “my [the LORD's] ways equal” [Ezekiel 18:29].

threescore and ten “take away” ten = seventy “take away” ten

threescore = sixty

then “rightly divide” [2 Timothy 2:15] both sides by “three”, keeping them in equality.

three
score divided by three = sixty divided by three

score = twenty

Didn't even need a dictionary, nor Abraham Lincoln [fourscore and seven years ago...]

[A.] slew his brethren
[B.] slain his sons
[C.] the cruelty done to … sons
[D.] slew them … in the killing of his brethren
[E.] the wickedness … in slaying … brethren

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Well, I am sure that Sean is all good and well confused now.

Reactions: Jane_Doe22

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
do i have to read the bible.

I won't speak for Helen, but my answer is this:

1. Don't make it a law for yourself, such as "I have to read so many verses of scripture every day or I am not being pleasing to God," but
2. Reading God's word is the primary means He uses to speak to you and cause you to grow spiritually. So yes, in that sense you definitely do need to read your Bible.

Understand what I mean?

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i don't get what you're saying
She is trying to say there isn't going to be any quiz to see who did and who didn't get certain things right. I can tell you very truthfully that in all my 73 years, I have never met even one person who actually knows just what "The Trinity" is. Besides that, not a soul who has ever lived understands all of the Bible. Anyone who says they do is delusional.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
She is trying to say there isn't going to be any quiz to see who did and who didn't get certain things right. I can tell you very truthfully that in all my 73 years, I have never met even one person who actually knows just what "The Trinity" is. Besides that, not a soul who has ever lived understands all of the Bible. Anyone who says they do is delusional.
I'll totally second this.

Having a relationship is not about *having* to do this or that. Or about passing some theology quiz. Having a relationship is about love.

Mister Michael

Sep 13, 2018
Florida
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
I won't speak for Helen, but my answer is this:

1. Don't make it a law for yourself, such as "I have to read so many verses of scripture every day or I am not being pleasing to God," but
2. Reading God's word is the primary means He uses to speak to you and cause you to grow spiritually. So yes, in that sense you definitely do need to read your Bible.

Understand what I mean?
no not really

Reactions: Willie T

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
no not really

Well that's an honest answer, LoL.

When I say don't make it a law, what I mean is, God loves you through His grace. He will not stop loving you if you break a bunch of self-imposed rules you decided you had to follow to be obedient to Him. But at the same time, what He wants is for you to spend time with Him; to be in a close relationship with Him. It's like Triumph said (in another thread), Keep it simple, like a child to a father. Don't turn it into a slave and a slave driver.

Reactions: Helen and Willie T

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Thumb.gif

Agree. The Father wants us to 'want' a relationship...He is not demanding that we understand things.
Heck, some of us have been christians for 50 years , and we still don't know our elbow from our knee!!! :)

Reactions: amadeus

TheHolyBookEnds

Jun 12, 2018
Neighbour
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
so i can throw away the trinity and the bible?
Depends on what definition you carry in regards the word 'trinity'. The standard WTS definition is generally concerned with the Roman Catholic definition, which indeed is an incorrect theology.

If you mean definitionally three persons/beings working together for the salvation of mankind, then nothing wrong with that definition. Others may use words like Godhead, as the King James does.

If you do not like the word 'trinity' in general, then do not use it (as I generally do not), and stick to scriptural phraseology, Father, Son, Holy Ghost/Spirit, &c.

No, you ought not throw out the Bible (KJB). It is God's word to you in promises. It is the roadmap to home.

If you want to throw out the NWT or KIT, that's up to you. I personally keep a NWT (green hardcover) around for several uses, especially when speaking to JW. It can be used against their own theology. I also have several other of their materials, such as PATDP, and WDTBRT? (also used to demonstrate inconsistencies).