Can the Soul Die?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

LTJMP14

Aug 25, 2021
Southeastern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Scripturally, I tend to look at Adam's creation with question of what exactly was it that God breathed into the nostrils of Adam.
Since it was Moses who wrote the book of Genesis, all should agree that he had NO knowledge of what the Periodic Table of the Elements was, so that he could discern what Atoms were, and what it was exactly that they do. Being void of all that factual knowledge, the only thing that he observed was, without the "breath of life", human and animal life cannot exist.
In the following verses, lets see if all here for once and for all, conclude exactly what the "breath of life" is: KJV- Genesis 2:7, 6:17, 7:22.
Here is a clue: its a gaseous element of God's creation.
I don't think you can know, even though we have access to the periodic table and more, of which Moses had no access.

I think it's safe to say that when God told Moses to write that God breathed into Adam causing Adam to become a living soul, that it was sufficient for all generations that followed to know that God's power to create life is beyond our comprehension.

I don't need to know what that chemical formula was that God breathed into Adam. I'm satisfied knowing God is able because God is omnipotent.

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think you can know, even though we have access to the periodic table and more, of which Moses had no access.

I think it's safe to say that when God told Moses to write that God breathed into Adam causing Adam to become a living soul, that it was sufficient for all generations that followed to know that God's power to create life is beyond our comprehension.

I don't need to know what that chemical formula was that God breathed into Adam. I'm satisfied knowing God is able because God is omnipotent.
Well it appears that you want to desparately hold onto your religious reasoning.
What is so hard to understand that God breathed into Adam Oxygenated air, of which all the living cells in Adam's flesh was screaming for!

LTJMP14

Aug 25, 2021
Southeastern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well it appears that you want to desparately hold onto your religious reasoning.
What is so hard to understand that God breathed into Adam Oxygenated air, of which all the living cells in Adam's flesh was screaming for!
God had already created everything else that required oxygenated air as well as everything that produced oxygenated air. What God breathed into Adam was the breath of life that made Adam a living soul. Curiously, the Bible does not mention God breathing life into any other living creature.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I am with you on this. The first time I heard of this was probably in the late 1980's shorting after moving to Oklahoma. My then pastor taught a Bible study on that very subject, that is about those phrases Not meaning 'eternity'. Unfortunately not many people are able to believe that. His study worked well with what I reading in my German and Spanish Bibles, which were Not translated from English but from original languages. What do we hear and what do we understand?
Love having an older brother on here to encourage and support... And keep little brother in check from time to time:)
Our little sister @Addy I think needs some lovin' too bro. ;)

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Love having an older brother on here to encourage and support... And keep little brother in check from time to time:)
Our little sister @Addy I think needs some lovin' too bro. ;)
Oh I know a bit about our little sister @Addy . Yes, she is sweetheart, but let the enemy who opposes her beware!
Give God the glory!

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God had already created everything else that required oxygenated air as well as everything that produced oxygenated air. What God breathed into Adam was the breath of life that made Adam a living soul. Curiously, the Bible does not mention God breathing life into any other living creature.
And the "breath of life", by Mose's ignorance, is oxygenated air.

"Curiously" you do not comprehend
Genesis 6[17] And, behold, I, even I, do bring a flood of waters upon the earth, to destroy all flesh, wherein is the breath of life, from under heaven; and every thing that is in the earth shall die.

Genesis 7[15] And they went in unto Noah into the ark, two and two of all flesh, wherein is the breath of life
[22] All in whose nostrils was the breath of life, of all that was in the dry land, died.

So, if you do NOT conclude the same that I have shown, then you shall and must conclude the "religious" theory, that God "breathed" the "breath of life" into the nostrils of all animals also, and therefore the animals became eternal living souls too.

So my question remains, WHAT was it that made Adam to be a living soul, equal to animals?
Was it Oxygenated air, or was it God's own eternal Spirit, or maybe a disembodied spirit, waiting to enter into Adam's newly created flesh by God's command?

LTJMP14

Aug 25, 2021
Southeastern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And the "breath of life", by Mose's ignorance, is oxygenated air.

"Curiously" you do not comprehend
Genesis 6[17] And, behold, I, even I, do bring a flood of waters upon the earth, to destroy all flesh, wherein is the breath of life, from under heaven; and every thing that is in the earth shall die.

Genesis 7[15] And they went in unto Noah into the ark, two and two of all flesh, wherein is the breath of life
[22] All in whose nostrils was the breath of life, of all that was in the dry land, died.

So, if you do NOT conclude the same that I have shown, then you shall and must conclude the "religious" theory, that God "breathed" the "breath of life" into the nostrils of all animals also, and therefore the animals became eternal living souls too.

So my question remains, WHAT was it that made Adam to be a living soul, equal to animals?
Was it Oxygenated air, or was it God's own eternal Spirit, or maybe a disembodied spirit, waiting to enter into Adam's newly created flesh by God's command?
The Bible does not say that God breathed the breath of life into the animals. You'll never know what the chemical content of God's breath of life HE breathed into Adam was. If God chose not to reveal that chemical compound in HIS Word, I certainly don't need to know.

You're free to go on speculating as to what the chemical compound of God's breath was. If you think you know, and have a formula to prove what you think you know, publish your findings for the world to see.

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The truth is well known of what was necessary for Adam, immediately after God created all the living cells in Adam's flesh.
They NEEDED Oxygen.

Try not to go into denial over this, because if you do, it's only for the reason of you hanging on to your religious theory, to prove that the unsaved will burn in hell for all eternity.
You believe it was a "soul" .
I know that it was Oxygenated air.

LTJMP14

Aug 25, 2021
Southeastern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The truth is well known of what was necessary for Adam, immediately after God created all the living cells in Adam's flesh.
They NEEDED Oxygen.

Try not to go into denial over this, because if you do, it's only for the reason of you hanging on to your religious theory, to prove that the unsaved will burn in hell for all eternity.
You believe it was a "soul" .
I know that it was Oxygenated air.
Oxygenated air already existed by virtue of the God created process of photosynthesis. It's not a religious view that I have, it's the truth.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks, but you have a wrong interpretation, and I agree with the Bible for it is God's word:
This is the kind of expression that really needs to stop around here. It implies implies very strongly that the other person has made a conscious decision to oppose the teachings of the Bible, perhaps even after many years of prayer and study. Not singling anyone out, because most of us have done it, but how are we ever going to fulfill Christ's command to love one another if we continue to use this kind of insulting tone within the body of believers? Meanwhile, folks drop by, witness our conduct, and decide: "Naah. None of that Christianity stuff for me. I don't want to end up like that."

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is the kind of expression that really needs to stop around here. It implies implies very strongly that the other person has made a conscious decision to oppose the teachings of the Bible, perhaps even after many years of prayer and study. Not singling anyone out, because most of us have done it, but how are we ever going to fulfill Christ's command to love one another if we continue to use this kind of insulting tone within the body of believers? Meanwhile, folks drop by, witness our conduct, and decide: "Naah. None of that Christianity stuff for me. I don't want to end up like that."
I think we all do well to carefully inspect our own posts, keeping in mind, Out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks. I think we do well to look at our words to find out what is in our hearts, so we can do better.

Much love!

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think we all do well to carefully inspect our own posts, keeping in mind, Out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks. I think we do well to look at our words to find out what is in our hearts, so we can do better.

Much love!
Nobody needs to hear that message more than I.

This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am chief.
(1 Timothy 1:15)

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nobody needs to hear that message more than I.

This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am chief.
(1 Timothy 1:15)
I delete a significant number of posts I write before I click submit. With cause! And I'm thinking I don't delete enough!

Much love!

Reactions: BarneyFife

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I delete a significant number of posts I write before I click submit. With cause! And I'm thinking I don't delete enough!

Much love!
I do the exact same thing, except I think I'm more high-strung than you and I definitely don't delete enough. :D

Reactions: marks

jessiblue

Aug 21, 2021
a Heavenly place
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, and even new members will find it difficult to stay around. It’s truly sad. jb

Reactions: BarneyFife

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oxygenated air already existed by virtue of the God created process of photosynthesis. It's not a religious view that I have, it's the truth.
You are correct, oxygenated air is a Creation of God. All the Atoms are of God's Creation. They are the building blocks in everything that God created, as well as everything that we make by His creation of the Atoms.
Now that we have that simple truth established, we can move onto the actual Creation of Adam.

When Adam was created by God, and laid there on the ground, without consciousness or "breath", were the millions of living cells within him alive and thriving in that instance, prior to God breathing into him?
Before you answer, consider the state of a full term baby, just before birth. Though the baby is not yet born, it is ALIVE through oxygenated blood from the mother.
Though the baby before birth is alive, it is not yet "a living soul", simply because it is not breathing oxygenated air on its own.
Therefore, when it does, THEN and only then does it "become a living soul".
Can we agree that Adam was in a similar state, just before God breathed into him?

As was the case for Adam, Eve also had a similar experience, but not exactly. Using today's understanding, we might say that she was "cloned" from Adam. However, because they breathed oxygen, they each
"became a living soul", as is also the case for all animal life. They also are "living souls".

The Hebrew word for "soul" is nephesh, meaning "animal life", which is the exact word used in Genesis 2:7, as well as throughout the Old Testament, being approximately 435 times.
Throughout the New Testament, the Greek word for "soul" is psuche, also meaning "animal life". It's used there approximately 55 times.
So in conclusion, all of humankind and that of the animal kingdom are EQUAL as "living souls", all having "animal life".