Can you repent without works?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Daniel L.

Feb 25, 2022
Lisboa
Faith
Christian
Country
Portugal
"Righteousness" does not come by the law and commandments, as if they did, then Christ died for NOTHING.

1 John 3:7 Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.

Luke 5:32 I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

repent of UNBELIEF

You are right they dont believe, they have "dead faith"

Matthew 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

1 John 2:3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

1 John 3:6 Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.

1 John 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

Matthew 7:12 Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.

Look closely at the verse.
You are reading it, but not discerning it.

Look at what it says.....>" he that doeth righteousness, is righteous"...

"doing righteousness", is to do good works....yet, good works are not "righteous"., nor can they make you righteous.

Listen..

A righteous work would be to give to the poor. So, did that make you righteous, if you gave them money?
See, an unbeliever can do that..... also...... are they made righteous by that work?

Let me show you the "work of righteousness" that Is God's Work, that is the "HE is righteous", in your verse, Daniel

Look at this WORK.

Jesus said : = "the work of GOD....is that YOU believe on Jesus, whom God SENT".

John 6:29

See that WORK? that work is SPIRITUAL, ... it is to BELIEVE......
So, if you Believe in Jesus, by FAITH = then God will give you the new birth...born again, and you become "the righteousness of GOD..... 'IN" "Christ".

See that?
A born again person, has become "the righteousness of GOD". "in Christ"... because they did the "WORK OF GOD".

That is the only WORK you can do that God accepts, to accept you.

"the WORK of GOD,.... is that YOU.. BELIEVE.. ON.. JESUS.. Whom.. God ..SENT".

Do that work if you want to go to heaven.
If you want to go to hell then do this one... John 3:36

Bob Carabbio

Aug 3, 2016
Dallas, TX
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is the fix.

The works mentioned in the NT that don't save us are the works of the OT Law.

Spirit led works save us.

That's the fix.
So salvation is BY WORKS, and not by faith.

Thanks for clearing that up (chuckle!)

Bob Carabbio

Aug 3, 2016
Dallas, TX
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 John 5:9 If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater: for this is the witness of God which he hath testified of his Son.
10 He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son.

And the Son said:

Luke 13:5 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

John 14:21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

Matthew 7:12 Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.

Joshua 24:15 And if it seem evil unto you to serve the Lord, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.

So you're teaching that Being Born Again is BY WORKS, and "FAITH" is insufficient.

How do you handle Eph 2:8,9 ???

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luke 10:27 And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.
28 And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live.

The good news is that if we do these, we shall live! The bad news is that nobody really does these things. NOBODY “ Loves God” with ALL of their heart, with ALL of their soul and with ALL of their mind, unless your name is Jesus....if you loved your neighbor like you love yourself, how can you go out and buy a new shirt and neglect to buy him one too?

I don’t do either Of theses things...neither do you ....neither does anybody else....Thank God that He threw us a “ life- line” .....its called the Gospel .....simply Believe it and you will be imputed with the Righteousness of the One that “ did” accomplish all of these things....

Reactions: GRACE ambassador

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You skipped Acts 2:38 and took yourself to the letters(epistles) written to the saints that obeyed Acts 2:38?

No wonder you don't understand Spirit led works.

You think Acts 2:38 is NOT a Spirit led work, but a fleshly situation that God did not "set up", correct?
No. No one repents of sin without the conviction of the Holy Spirit. We are by nature at enmity with God. No one at enmity with God seeks Him or His forgiveness. Repentance remains the work of the Holy Spirit. Do a word search for "heart" in the old testament and read all the passages of God's work on the heart, then you can see that He changes us, we don't change ourselves.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
James is correct.

"can faith save you"?

No it can not.
See, God is the Savior, not faith.
God saves you through your faith..

Many, who are heretics, teach that Faith is the savior, but its not.
God is the savior, and these Cross denying Heretics, try to replace the Cross of Christ with..

1.) Faith saves you
2.) Keeping Commandments
3. ) Water Baptism
4.) The Catholic Church.
5.) The gospel of works and self effort

Here is an update from Heaven.

"God came to earth, Virgin born, and died on the Cross.
If you want to go to heaven, then Go to the Cross, and receive Christ.""

If you dont want to go to heaven, then try to keep commandments, and be water baptized 12 or 15 times, and go a church a lot, and trust that your Faith saves you.....and dont forget to try to endure to the end of your life in the Grt Trib, as that's were you are headed, if the Rapture happens today".
You only need to be baptized per Acts 2:38 for the remission of your sins one time.

Not invoking the name of Jesus during baptism drives folks into multi-baptisms, seeking to rid themselves of guilt that God has put in their hearts.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not when Abraham is mentioned, since there was no OT Law during his time.

Romans 4:2 For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory; but not before God.

We have went over this already in the thread "JUSTIFICATION" to say the "works" of Abraham was the OT Law is saying that Paul, a hebrew of hebrews is actually considering binding the OT Law on Abraham, which is impossible and absurd. Not only that, but he is telling this to Jews, who knew very well this was impossible, and in order to convince them of the contrary: he appeals to his "no man can boast" argument, instead of stating the obvious: "The OT Law was not yet given".

Where do you get this ideas from? You speak a lot of opinion, not bible. The exact opposite is true:

John 14:21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

Luke 10:27 And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.
28 And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live.

1 John 2:3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

1 John 3:24 And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

1 John 5:3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

Since you bank everything on His physical red blood, answer me this:

How can the conscience be purged from sin, by the shedding of Innocent Blood ?
Nay, It will increase the condemnation.

The blood of Jesus is drink for the spirit, nor physical red blood as the carnally minded think:

John 6:54 Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.
55 For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed.

So, physical red blood can not take away sin, that is why you still need to repent, and keep his commandments.
And try reading the rest of the bible, I dont know if you noticed but you only quoted Paul, try getting a 2nd witness.

Sacrifice ?

1 Samuel 15:22 And Samuel said, Hath the Lord as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the Lord? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams.

Isaiah 1:11 To what purpose is the multitude of your sacrifices unto me? saith the Lord: I am full of the burnt offerings of rams, and the fat of fed beasts; and I delight not in the blood of bullocks, or of lambs, or of he goats.
12 When ye come to appear before me, who hath required this at your hand, to tread my courts?
13 Bring no more vain oblations; incense is an abomination unto me; the new moons and sabbaths, the calling of assemblies, I cannot away with; it is iniquity, even the solemn meeting.
14 Your new moons and your appointed feasts my soul hateth: they are a trouble unto me; I am weary to bear them.
15 And when ye spread forth your hands, I will hide mine eyes from you: yea, when ye make many prayers, I will not hear: your hands are full of blood.

Jeremiah 7:22 For I spake not unto your fathers, nor commanded them in the day that I brought them out of the land of Egypt, concerning burnt offerings or sacrifices:

Ecclesiastes 5:1 Keep thy foot when thou goest to the house of God, and be more ready to hear, than to give the sacrifice of fools: for they consider not that they do evil.
Everything you posted proves my point.

The works we are not saved by per NT scripture are speaking of the keeping of the Law of the OT.

Spirit led works save us.

This distorted view of "works" we are seeing today is demon inspired.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So salvation is BY WORKS, and not by faith.

Thanks for clearing that up (chuckle!)
Salvation is by Spirit led works...believing, repenting and being baptized per Acts 2:38 for the remission of sins.

There is no such thing in scripture as "deciding" for remission of sins.

The death of Christ is not accessible by a cheap trick by modernists.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No. No one repents of sin without the conviction of the Holy Spirit. We are by nature at enmity with God. No one at enmity with God seeks Him or His forgiveness. Repentance remains the work of the Holy Spirit. Do a word search for "heart" in the old testament and read all the passages of God's work on the heart, then you can see that He changes us, we don't change ourselves.
Repentance is work..hard work.

If you cannot comprehend that, then you have not experienced repentance.

It requires a 180 degree change to us, physically ridding ourselves of our sinful vices.

These are AKA, works meet for repentance.

Repentance is a work, as much as the rest of Acts 2:38(baptism in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins).

The Holy Ghost leads us to these salvation based, Spirit led works.

If we do not obey or if we resist Acts 2:38, we are not Spirit led at all.

Daniel L.

Feb 25, 2022
Lisboa
Faith
Christian
Country
Portugal
The works we are not saved by per NT scripture are speaking of the keeping of the Law of the OT.

There can be no change:

Malachi 3:6 For I am the Lord, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.

The Law is always the same, that is why I assumed you were refering to the law of Moses, in which case is absurd in Romans 4:2, since it is impossible to bind the law of Moses on Abraham, and what about when Jesus says you have to keep the Law?

Luke 10:25 And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted him, saying, Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?
26 He said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou?
27 And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.

So if the Word says we must keep the Law to be saved, and you say we don't, the witness of the Word is greater than your own.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Repentance is work..hard work.

If you cannot comprehend that, then you have not experienced repentance.

It requires a 180 degree change to us, physically ridding ourselves of our sinful vices.

These are AKA, works meet for repentance.

Repentance is a work, as much as the rest of Acts 2:38(baptism in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins).

The Holy Ghost leads us to these salvation based, Spirit led works.

If we do not obey or if we resist Acts 2:38, we are not Spirit led at all.
Repentance is God's work and it took nothing for me to turn from sin to believing Christ other than His Spirit. If you're working for salvation, you've fallen from grace.

Daniel L.

Feb 25, 2022
Lisboa
Faith
Christian
Country
Portugal
Jonah 3:9 Who can tell if God will turn and repent, and turn away from his fierce anger, that we perish not?

The wicked turns, not "is turned":

Ezekiel 18:21 But if the wicked will turn from all his sins that he hath committed, and keep all my statutes, and do that which is lawful and right, he shall surely live, he shall not die.
27 Again, when the wicked man turneth away from his wickedness that he hath committed, and doeth that which is lawful and right, he shall save his soul alive.

Turn ye!

Ezekiel 33:11 Say unto them, As I live, saith the Lord God, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die, O house of Israel?

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you stole your neighbor's horse and then later desire to repent of that sin, then repentance requires a work of reparation in you taking the horse back to your neighbor. You cannot repent AND keep the stolen horse...that is not repentance.
Paul said owe no man anything (Romans 13:8). I believe what Paul is saying here is not to bring harm to another person without making amends. Not making amends leaves you in "debt" to that person. If I caused an automobile wreck that is my fault, then I bring harm to another person and must make amends. I must restore that person's property back to where it was before I caused damage. This is why the state I live in requires liability insurance to make people accountable for the harm they cause to others. Stealing the horse brought harm to your neighbor and repentance requires you make amends by giving the horse back restoring your neighbor to where he was at before you stole his horse. If you killed that stolen horse, then you must make amends by buying your neighbor another horse or give him money for the horse you killed.
OSAS claims a Christian can steal a horse, keep it bringing harm to another person and be saved anyway while remaining impenitent throughout. But repentance is an obedient work required of the Christian, it is not a work of merit, but is a necessary prerequisite that must be met to receive God's free gift of forgiveness. Therefore the promise of eternal life is CONDITIONAL upon the Christian repenting of his sins.
What if a man steals a $10,000 horse, the horse is lost, and the man has no horse-stealer's insurance or other means to restore the horse? Must his forgiveness from God be delayed indefinitely?

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Ernest T. Bass

By the way, you do realize that I'm going to stalk you forever now that I've found you, right? :p

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There can be no change:

Malachi 3:6 For I am the Lord, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.

The Law is always the same, that is why I assumed you were refering to the law of Moses, in which case is absurd in Romans 4:2, since it is impossible to bind the law of Moses on Abraham, and what about when Jesus says you have to keep the Law?

Luke 10:25 And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted him, saying, Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?
26 He said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou?
27 And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.

So if the Word says we must keep the Law to be saved, and you say we don't, the witness of the Word is greater than your own.
You are a person that is under the Law in the OT, unless you have not obeyed Acts 2:38 to get out from under the Law.

We are led by the Holy Ghost(Spirit), not the letter(Law).

Jesus was primarily speaking to OT Law keepers, even telling them they must self amputate to purify themselves.

Do you obey Jesus in that command or dismiss it as too extreme?

Reactions: BloodBought 1953

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Repentance is God's work and it took nothing for me to turn from sin to believing Christ other than His Spirit. If you're working for salvation, you've fallen from grace.
Does God repent for you or do you use his gift to allow you to repent?