Canada and the Catholic Church

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Over 1000 unmarked graves of indigenous children have been found in the span of a few weeks... all at the sites of residential schools run by the Catholic church. The pope refuses to apologize for yet another unveiling of horrific monstrosities perpetrated upon the people.

HOWEVER... people continue to DEFEND this institution. It's mind boggling to me. I tremble at what this mother of churches will have to answer for on Judgement Day. The evil that occurs behind closed doors at the Vatican is unimaginable. It's like a store front mafia enterprise.

I pray that God continues to turn over the rocks of darkness that dwell within these places.

Not too much for us to celebrate on July 1st... I think this year... I will skip the party. Canada does not have much to be PROUD of right now.

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@Venksta ... I see you are from Vancouver... I hope all is well with you.... and that you were able to keep cool through the awful heatwave that was reported...

Reactions: Azim

Azim

Sep 25, 2020
Vancouver
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
A third unmarked grave site found at another catholic school in Canada this week:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-remains-residential-school-interior-1.6085990

@Venksta ... I see you are from Vancouver... I hope all is well with you.... and that you were able to keep cool through the awful heatwave that was reported...

Things are ok. The heatwave was very awful. Last I read in the local news, close to 500 people have been found dead since the heatwave started on Friday. :(

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@Venksta ... Thank you for including the third site... There has also been 6 Catholic churches that have burned to the ground since these discoveries have been made.

I am so sorry for what you have been through... I don't think "awful" quite covers how difficult this time has been for you... and to add to this tragedy.... the entire town of Lytton is basically gone from a wildfire.

My heart goes out to our brothers and sisters who are suffering out west.

Reactions: Azim

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
A recent homily by the head of Canadian Catholic bishops is sparking anger, after he implied that the church is being persecuted amid widespread attention to gravesite discoveries at residential schools.

On Sunday, three days after an announcement that a preliminary search with ground-penetrating radar had found 751 unmarked graves at the site of a former Catholic-run residential school in Saskatchewan, Archbishop Richard Gagnon delivered a homily in Brandon, Man. He said in his address that residential schools are “a big thing right now in Canada and I know that we Catholics, we’re troubled, we’re hurt by this a lot in our hearts.”

Archbishop Gagnon is the president of the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops, and the archbishop of Winnipeg. He said that in his role he is getting “bombarded a lot,” and that in dealing with the media, he’s noticing “a lot of blame, a lot of accusations, a lot of exaggerations, a lot of false ideas.”

“And so I say in my heart,” he said. “You know something? There’s a persecution happening here. There’s a persecution happening here.”
(source: The Globe and Mail ).

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Not wanting to lead you back into topics formerly abandoned, but over the years the incumbent Catholics on this forum have suggested similar regarding the corrections to Catholic doctrine and historical practice suggested by Protestants. After the millions murdered by Rome, the wars instigated at her request, the cultural genocide perpetrated by her representatives, it is a little bemusing... One might even suggest hypocrisy.

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
  • If you would all take a moment to DIGEST the reality that Canada is facing at the moment...

We have discovered 1000's of unmarked graves of indigenous children... Children who were tormented and severely punished for simply speaking their own native tongue. These children were considered to be wretched and without souls. They went missing and never returned to their families.

These children died in the hands of the nuns and priests who ran and operated these "residential schools".

The Pope refuses to take responsibility for this REALITY and further refuses to make a public apology for these horrific crimes.

In light of this thread... I am wondering... WHY anyone would consider becoming a member of this church whose past is filled with such horrific and heinous crimes against humanity?

The church's duty is to PROTECT the flock. I don't see that this Catholic Church has done anything but protect it's own reputation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@Josho ... with regards to this thread.

If you would all take a moment to DIGEST the reality that Canada is facing at the moment...

We have discovered 1000's of unmarked graves of indigenous children... Children who were tormented and severely punished for simply speaking their own native tongue. These children were considered to be wretched and without souls. They went missing and never returned to their families.

These children died in the hands of the nuns and priests who ran and operated these "residential schools".

The Pope refuses to take responsibility for this REALITY and further refuses to make a public apology for these horrific crimes.

In light of this thread... I am wondering... WHY anyone would consider becoming a member of this church whose past is filled with such horrific and heinous crimes against humanity?

The church's duty is to PROTECT the flock. I don't see that this Catholic Church has done anything but protect it's own reputation.

I haven't really followed this story much, but just saw a shocking post about people burning Churches in Canada in an act of anger.

Addy as sad as it is, there is disturbing history from other Christian denominations too doing un-Christian things, remembering people who were took into slavery in the USA and Australia...

Of course when things like this happen we would have to question "were those people who committed these acts really genuine Christians?" Because the actions would say otherwise.

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@Josho ... I put a period on OP because I did not create it... I already started a post called Canada and the Catholic Church a while back.
In that post I made reference to the burning of the churches... I believe at present... there are now 6 churches that have been burned down.

Anyways... I am sorry you found the need to move my post on your thread to another one.

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Not wanting to lead you back into topics formerly abandoned, but over the years the incumbent Catholics on this forum have suggested similar regarding the corrections to Catholic doctrine and historical practice suggested by Protestants. After the millions murdered by Rome, the wars instigated at her request, the cultural genocide perpetrated by her representatives, it is a little bemusing... One might even suggest hypocrisy.
I really regret having responded to your posts regarding Catholicism... It has brought back much agony for me... and therefore... I have decided NOT to make anymore statements about my beliefs on these forums.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I haven't really followed this story much, but just saw a shocking post about people burning Churches in Canada in an act of anger.

Addy as sad as it is, there is disturbing history from other Christian denominations too doing un-Christian things, remembering people who were took into slavery in the USA and Australia...

Of course when things like this happen we would have to question "were those people who committed these acts really genuine Christians?" Because the actions would say otherwise.
What happened in the past in Canada and only recently coming to light, was well known to the tribes and people's descended from those earlier generations. They have been pleading for justice and investigation for decades, to no avail. Just as the aborigine folk in Australia have been doing, for the history here is shameful. Did you know that aborigine men fought for the right to represent Australia to fight in the Boer wars in South Africa, but were refused entry back into Australia on account they "weren't Australian"!!! I don't know if this attitude was a reflection of the church here in the day. But those church crimes in Canada are but a drop in the proverbial bucket. Just the ones we know about down the globe and cover centuries. God knows all about the rest. That there are 6 churches burnt down doesn't bother me one bit.
Rome had best get used to it. There more to come...
KJV Revelation 17:16-18
16 And the ten horns which thou sawest upon the beast, these shall hate the whore, and shall make her desolate and naked, and shall eat her flesh, and burn her with fire.
17 For God hath put in their hearts to fulfil his will, and to agree, and give their kingdom unto the beast, until the words of God shall be fulfilled.
18 And the woman which thou sawest is that great city, which reigneth over the kings of the earth.

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I am dealing with some family stuff at the moment... and therefore I have been on low profile this week...

However.. since this thread has re-ignited due to a post placed here by Josho... I feel the need to make a public statement with reference to the words I have spoken about the Catholic Church.

When I say... I hate the Catholic Church... what I mean by this is the INSTITUTION of.... I do NOT hate Catholics... the two are very different.
My landlords are Catholic... I have lived here 6 years... and they do NOT have a clue of what I think of their church. I take responsibility for my feelings and beliefs...

When I say I believe that the Catholic church is the mother church... I believe this is true... and I also believe she will be judged by EVERYTHING she has done... in the same way that the protestant churches will be judged. Therefore my little thoughts on the matter are absolutely NOT important.

I speak as a former Catholic who has undergone SEVERE abuse by this institution... and my entire family was destroyed because of it.
Therefore I stepped out of her after my mother passed away in 2007.

I am now free to live my life in peace and with great joy.

I have learned my lesson about responding to certain people in the forums... It really is NOT worth my energy...effort or time.

Addy

Last edited:

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I really regret having responded to your posts regarding Catholicism... It has brought back much agony for me... and therefore... I have decided NOT to make anymore statements about my beliefs on these forums.
I believe I have somewhat of an understanding of where you are coming from. My older sister was educated in a boarding school for Catholic girls. She is 18 years older than me, so left home for marriage long before i ever had the opportunity to get to know her. I was only 5 when her children began to arrive into the world, and she and her husband lived 300 miles away.
As an adult, I did manage to spend some time with her, but never had an opportunity to really talk. Then we lost contact for 20 years.
Over time in the last 20 we have had regular contact. But she refuses to speak of her time in school, she refuses to even discuss religion of any sort, and has no time for Christianity. I cannot help but suspect that her antipathy to spiritual matters and her reluctance to explain why can only be sourced back to her time at school and get experience with the priests and nuns responsible for her "education". My personal experience with Catholic education 20 year s later as a day student at a boys school, was devoid of any controversy. My sister I believe came away with some great pain that she doesn't seem to be ready to share.
And that's okay. My wife has PTSD from an abomination of a childhood, so I understand the wounds that can persist.
You need to protect yourself, so absolutely, don't dive into discussions that raise memories that awaken emotions you aren't ready to allow to surface.

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What happened in the past in Canada and only recently coming to light, was well known to the tribes and people's descended from those earlier generations. They have been pleading for justice and investigation for decades, to no avail. Just as the aborigine folk in Australia have been doing, for the history here is shameful. Did you know that aborigine men fought for the right to represent Australia to fight in the Boer wars in South Africa, but were refused entry back into Australia on account they "weren't Australian"!!! I don't know if this attitude was a reflection of the church here in the day. But those church crimes in Canada are but a drop in the proverbial bucket. Just the ones we know about down the globe and cover centuries. God knows all about the rest. That there are 6 churches burnt down doesn't bother me one bit.
Rome had best get used to it. There more to come...
KJV Revelation 17:16-18
16 And the ten horns which thou sawest upon the beast, these shall hate the whore, and shall make her desolate and naked, and shall eat her flesh, and burn her with fire.
17 For God hath put in their hearts to fulfil his will, and to agree, and give their kingdom unto the beast, until the words of God shall be fulfilled.
18 And the woman which thou sawest is that great city, which reigneth over the kings of the earth.

Hmmmm, it's sad what has happened throughout history in Western nations towards indigenous people, history can be shocking, USA, Australia and Canada, it's crazy only now they had just discovered these graves in Canada, I don't know whether if stuff happened to the indigenous in New Zealand also, but you would know.

Reactions: Pathfinder7

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
update on the issue with the church burnings

At least nine Catholic and Anglican churches across Canada have gone up in flames amid a backlash over the country's use of church-run residential schools to forcibly assimilate indigenous children from the late 19th century until the 1970s.

The majority of the church fires occurred on indigenous First Nations land. The recent discoveries of hundreds of unmarked graves at former residential schools within the last month appear to have made churches a target.

Historically, more than 150,000 First Nations children were required to attend state-funded Christian schools as part of a program to assimilate them into Canadian society. They were forced to convert to Christianity and not allowed to speak their native languages. Many were beaten and verbally abused, and up to 6,000 are said to have died.

While it's unclear how the children buried in the unmarked graves died, the discovery of their remains has ignited anger among First Nations communities across the country.

The majority of the church fires have targeted Catholic churches. (source:At least 9 Canadian churches set ablaze amid indigenous anger over residential schools)

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
update on the issue with the church burnings

At least nine Catholic and Anglican churches across Canada have gone up in flames amid a backlash over the country's use of church-run residential schools to forcibly assimilate indigenous children from the late 19th century until the 1970s.

The majority of the church fires occurred on indigenous First Nations land. The recent discoveries of hundreds of unmarked graves at former residential schools within the last month appear to have made churches a target.

Historically, more than 150,000 First Nations children were required to attend state-funded Christian schools as part of a program to assimilate them into Canadian society. They were forced to convert to Christianity and not allowed to speak their native languages. Many were beaten and verbally abused, and up to 6,000 are said to have died.

While it's unclear how the children buried in the unmarked graves died, the discovery of their remains has ignited anger among First Nations communities across the country.

The majority of the church fires have targeted Catholic churches. (source:At least 9 Canadian churches set ablaze amid indigenous anger over residential schools)

It's so sad how some forced others in the past to convert to Christianity, forcing others never was the right way, God gives everyone a choice.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's so sad how some forced others in the past to convert to Christianity, forcing others never was the right way, God gives everyone a choice.
There are a lot of guilt to pass around here in both the Roman and England church, even the church I grew up in did some questionable stuff. I just wrote it off to these are my leaders and they know more then me so I just looked away

I think we get brainwashed by leaders and blindly follow them, thinking it is what God wants, it’s sad

Reactions: amadeus and Josho
Status
Not open for further replies.