Should The Church Keep Secrets From People... Biblically Speaking?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

KAM

Jul 9, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
DISCLAIMER: This is not a thread to vilify or otherwise defame the Vatican as I have the utmost fear of the Lord and respect all churches established to worship him. Moreover, I was raised mostly going to Catholic churches, so I have no particular disposition against any the Catholic church or any religious organization that faithfully worships Jesus Christ. This is strictly a question in regard to biblical references. I do not intend to create controversy or offend any Catholics. I just want to understand more about what the bible teaches.

Now that I've gotten that out of the way, there are many things I've read and watched about the Vatican since it's inception. I'm familiar with what has been written about the underground structures, vast secret vaults, sordid historical controversies, etc. Furthermore, there are some peculiarities about the Vatican that make me question just what they know and what they do. For example, the Vatican apparently owns some of the worlds most sophisticated observatories and advanced scientific labs. The Pope and the Vatican have made statements in the past regarding the existence of extraterrestrial or alien life.

Aside from all the conspiracy theories, which I really don't care to hear much about, there seems to be plenty of evidence to indicate that the Vatican has held, continues to hold, and continues to discover profound secrets and relics. Whether these things are really true or whatever, I don't know because I'm not an expert. I've never been to the Vatican. All I'm saying is that all indication points to it being a keeper of secrets possibly even more profound or significant than any government.

I don't want to pick on the Vatican either. There are apparently many churches around the world which supposedly hold authentic religious relics and secrets. There are mysteries such as the 7 churches in Ethiopia built 1000 years ago, recessed into the ground in solid rock, and with a precision and design barely possible today. There's the Rosslyn Chapel, etc., so this is not just about the Vatican even though they're evidently the most vast and powerful keeper of holy secrets.

What I want to know is what the bible says about how the church and religions should operate, and whether secrets should be kept or freely given. I'm still a novice in biblical study, but what I've come across the most in the bible seems to convey that secrets should not be kept and knowledge should be freely given... No, in fact, my impression is that the church should go to great pain to ensure that they continually minister all their knowledge to the world.

Has anyone studied this subject? If so, what is said about it? I've contemplated the question why would the church possibly need to conceal or hide things from people. The way I see it is that the only plausible reason would be to protect something against falling into the hands of evil forces. However, that just doesn't seem to make sense in the end unless there are things in the bible which says that the church has been entrusted with sacred things that are never to or not yet to be revealed to anyone but a select few or something.

Last edited:

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The question that comes to my mind is, if the church, set up by humanity, is keeping secrets from me, "How is the church doing it?"

Are they overloading us with to many factual truths in what they are teaching us?

Are they omitting from teaching us many factual truths that we should know?

Are they confusing the factual truths, as they are teaching us?

Or is it all of the above and many other techniques as well?

Shalom

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The question that comes to my mind is, if the church, set up by humanity, is keeping secrets from me, "How is the church doing it?"

Are they overloading us with to many factual truths in what they are teaching us?
Nonsense. Everybody can only take in only what they are capable and willing to learn.

Are they omitting from teaching us many factual truths that we should know?
More nonsense. Everything the Church "knows" is available to anyone who wants it. Every council, every encyclical, every apostolic letter is available on line for the whole world to read. A summary of teachings is also available, called the catechism.

Are they confusing the factual truths, as they are teaching us?
That is IMPOSSIBLE.

Or is it all of the above and many other techniques as well?

Shalom
That anti-Catholic venom you have been mainlining will rot your mind.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
In my experience, the best kept secrets are to do with finances!!

How much the pastor really gets paid...paid holidays for the pastor, even though he gets paid a good working wage.

Maintaining the pastors car ...and even not allowing the people to know where or how much ( if any) really went out to "Missions"...
These are all things we found out in one church...I am sure it happens elsewhere...Yep..finances is the biggest behind closed doors secret.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
...Edit ......and after that...if a church did not have an "open book" policy I would not go there...it means someone is back handing someone.

( This is by experience, not hearsay)

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
DISCLAIMER: This is not a thread to vilify or otherwise defame the Vatican as I have the utmost fear of the Lord and respect all churches established to worship him. Moreover, I was raised mostly going to Catholic churches, so I have no particular disposition against any the Catholic church or any religious organization that faithfully worships Jesus Christ. This is strictly a question in regard to biblical references. I do not intend to create controversy or offend any Catholics. I just want to understand more about what the bible teaches.

Now that I've gotten that out of the way, there are many things I've read and watched about the Vatican since it's inception. I'm familiar with what has been written about the underground structures, vast secret vaults, sordid historical controversies, etc.
There are no vast underground structures, unless you mean the catacombs where they hid from Roman persecution and buried the martyrs? Anti-Catholics don't like the solid physical evidence what the catacombs prove: that the early Christians of the 1st three centuries were Catholic.
Furthermore, there are some peculiarities about the Vatican that make me question just what they know and what they do. For example, the Vatican apparently owns some of the worlds most sophisticated observatories and advanced scientific labs.
Oh pleeeze!
http://www.pas.va/content/accademia/en.html
The Pope and the Vatican have made statements in the past regarding the existence of extraterrestrial or alien life.
No, they haven't. That's media hype and its false. An astrophysicist who is a member of the Academy speculated on the POSSIBILITY of alien life, given the billions X billions of galaxies. If aliens showed up at your church wanting to know more about Jesus, you would probably invite them in. But if the Pope asks a rhetorical question, the Christian Taliban accuses him of being a UFO nut. Please, get the text of the controversial homily and avoid cheap tabloids.
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/deacon...martians-arrived-tomorrow-and-wanted-baptism/
Aside from all the conspiracy theories, which I really don't care to hear much about, there seems to be plenty of evidence to indicate that the Vatican has held, continues to hold, and continues to discover profound secrets and relics. Whether these things are really true or whatever, I don't know because I'm not an expert. I've never been to the Vatican. All I'm saying is that all indication points to it being a keeper of secrets possibly even more profound or significant than any government.
This is paranoid fundamentalist nonsense. Relics are always in display and often rotate to various churches. The Church has no profound secrets, and if they are any, how do you know they exist?
I don't want to pick on the Vatican either. There are apparently many churches around the world which supposedly hold authentic religious relics and secrets. There are mysteries such as the 7 churches in Ethiopia built 1000 years ago, recessed into the ground in solid rock, and with a precision and design barely possible today. There's the Rosslyn Chapel, etc., so this is not just about the Vatican even though they're evidently the most vast and powerful keeper of holy secrets.
The Ethiopian Orthodox church is not Catholic. The Rosslyn Chapel is a family owned church and tourist attraction funded by the Scottish government.
What I want to know is what the bible says about how the church and religions should operate, and whether secrets should be kept or freely given. I'm still a novice in biblical study, but what I've come across the most in the bible seems to convey that secrets should not be kept and knowledge should be freely given... No, in fact, my impression is that the church should go to great pain to ensure that they continually minister all their knowledge to the world.
Again, there are no secrets. What has been known as the Secret Archives is called "secret" because before, only trained archivists could access centuries old documents. Now they are working to digitize millions of documents.
Has anyone studied this subject? If so, what is said about it? I've contemplated the question why would the church possibly need to conceal or hide things from people. The way I see it is that the only plausible reason would be to protect something against falling into the hands of evil forces. However, that just doesn't seem to make sense in the end unless there are things in the bible which says that the church has been entrusted with sacred things that are never to or not yet to be revealed to anyone but a select few or something.
Who is feeding you this crap?

archives.jpg

The Not-so-Secret Archives accessible to scholars and historians. This is how it was discovered that most of what is popularly known about the Inquisition is fiction. Catholic and non-Catholic scholars have poured over the original court proceedings. That's why Protestant Bible college professors no longer teach the old propaganda and exaggerated horror stories.

Last edited:
Reactions: Truth

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Nonsense. Everybody can only take in only what they are capable and willing to learn.

More nonsense. Everything the Church "knows" is available to anyone who wants it. Every council, every encyclical, every apostolic letter is available on line for the whole world to read. A summary of teachings is also available, called the catechism.

That is IMPOSSIBLE.

I am sorry that you cannot see that what I had posted is applicable to all churches and that I was deliberately not pointing my finger at the RC Church. In fact what I had written in my post above was directed at all churches, mine included.

KAM

Jul 9, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are no vast underground structures, unless you mean the catacombs where they hid from Roman persecution and buried the martyrs? Anti-Catholics don't like the solid physical evidence what the catacombs prove: that the early Christians of the 1st three centuries were Catholic. Oh pleeeze!
http://www.pas.va/content/accademia/en.html No, they haven't. That's media hype and its false. An astrophysicist who is a member of the Academy speculated on the POSSIBILITY of alien life, given the billions X billions of galaxies. If aliens showed up at your church wanting to know more about Jesus, you would probably invite them in. But if the Pope asks a rhetorical question, the Christian Taliban accuses him of being a UFO nut. Please, get the facts from a reliable source.
This is paranoid fundamentalist nonsense. Relics are always in display and often rotate to various churches. The Church has no profound secrets, and if they are any, how do you know they exist?
The Ethiopian Orthodox church is not Catholic. The Rosslyn Chapel is a family owned church and tourist attraction funded by the Scottish government.
Again, there are no secrets. What has been known as the Secret Archives is called "secret" because before, only trained archivists could access centuries old documents. Now they are working to digitize millions of documents.

View attachment 3094

The Not-so-Secret Archives accessible to scholars and historians.

I don't like your rude, condescending tone. You haughtily assume that I'm not smart or educated enough to know things. People don't feed me "crap." By the way, you can address me as Dr. Kam. I've earned that title through years of study. Perhaps next time you should make no assumptions and begin with a sincere willingness to gain knowledge through discussion and exchange of ideas. That's what educated people do, just so you know.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What I want to know is what the bible says about how the church and religions should operate, and whether secrets should be kept or freely given.

The short answer is “No secrets to be kept in churches”.

And here’s the Scripture to back that up: The secret things belong unto the LORD our God: but those things which are revealed belong unto us and to our children for ever, that we may do all the words of this law. (Deut 29:29)

So what are “the things which are revealed”? Everything that has been revealed from Genesis to Revelation, particularly the doctrine of Christ, the Gospel of Christ, and the teachings of Christ and His apostles. That does not exclude Bible prophecy.

The true Church (which only God sees) is regarded by God as His own family, and ideally there should be no secrets within families: Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God (Eph 2:19).

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

KAM

Jul 9, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The short answer is “No secrets to be kept in churches”.

And here’s the Scripture to back that up: The secret things belong unto the LORD our God: but those things which are revealed belong unto us and to our children for ever, that we may do all the words of this law. (Deut 29:29)

So what are “the things which are revealed”? Everything that has been revealed from Genesis to Revelation, particularly the doctrine of Christ, the Gospel of Christ, and the teachings of Christ and His apostles. That does not exclude Bible prophecy.

The true Church (which only God sees) is regarded by God as His own family, and ideally there should be no secrets within families: Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God (Eph 2:19).

Those are some good examples. I'm going to read up on them. Thank you for that.

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I don't like your rude, condescending tone. You haughtily assume that I'm not smart or educated enough to know things. People don't feed me "crap." By the way, you can address me as Dr. Kam. I've earned that title through years of study. Perhaps next time you should make no assumptions and begin with a sincere willingness to gain knowledge through discussion and exchange of ideas. That's what educated people do, just so you know.
If you are not an anti-Catholic, you are anti-church, and/or anti-institutional, and/or anti-authority, and for holding a Ph.D. claiming to know relics and alleged secrets, you aren't very smart. Catholics and Orthodox are the only churches that have relics, so if you are including yours.....
Don't be afraid to step on toes and point fingers, most people in here do that anyway. You should research relics and secrets so you can make an informed OP, and specify the name of the churches that have relics and secrets. That's what educated people do, just so you know.

before you could insult me.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Helen

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
There are no vast underground structures, unless you mean the catacombs where they hid from Roman persecution and buried the martyrs? Anti-Catholics don't like the solid physical evidence what the catacombs prove: that the early Christians of the 1st three centuries were Catholic. Oh pleeeze!
http://www.pas.va/content/accademia/en.html No, they haven't. That's media hype and its false. An astrophysicist who is a member of the Academy speculated on the POSSIBILITY of alien life, given the billions X billions of galaxies. If aliens showed up at your church wanting to know more about Jesus, you would probably invite them in. But if the Pope asks a rhetorical question, the Christian Taliban accuses him of being a UFO nut. Please, get the text of the controversial homily and avoid cheap tabloids.
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/deacon...martians-arrived-tomorrow-and-wanted-baptism/

View attachment 3094

The Not-so-Secret Archives accessible to scholars and historians. This is how it was discovered that most of what is popularly known about the Inquisition is fiction. Catholic and non-Catholic scholars have poured over the original court proceedings. That's why Protestant Bible college professors no longer teach the old propaganda and exaggerated horror stories.
I guess you forgot to read that masterpiece:
The DaVinci Code
LOL

Reactions: Helen

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy

Now that I've gotten that out of the way, there are many things I've read and watched about the Vatican since it's inception. I'm familiar with what has been written about the underground structures, vast secret vaults, sordid historical controversies, etc. Furthermore, there are some peculiarities about the Vatican that make me question just what they know and what they do. For example, the Vatican apparently owns some of the worlds most sophisticated observatories and advanced scientific labs. The Pope and the Vatican have made statements in the past regarding the existence of extraterrestrial or alien life.

Most persons here are interested in Jesus, the bible, what it teaches, etc.
We're not too interested in churches since churches don't save us but only attempt to guide us.

Most posts opposing a church are against the CC. I still don't know why, but it doesn't matter.

I say this to say that it doesn't matter what secrets are kept, IF there are any.
For instance, nobody knows for sure how much the Vatican State is worth. Do we really care? Will it get us closer to God? I don't think so, so I don't think about it too much.

We're all just trying to do our best.

If I do learn of a secret, I'll remember to post it so it's not a secret anymore.

Reactions: Truth and Helen

KAM

Jul 9, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you are not an anti-Catholic, you are anti-church, and/or anti-institutional, and/or anti-authority, and for holding a Ph.D. claiming to know relics and alleged secrets, you aren't very smart. Catholics and Orthodox are the only churches that have relics, so if you are including yours.....
Don't be afraid to step on toes and point fingers, most people in here do that anyway. You should research relics and secrets so you can make an informed OP, and specify the name of the churches that have relics and secrets. That's what educated people do, just so you know.

Pfft. I guess that I should have expected this typical human nature even on a supposedly Christian forum. My bad I guess. How Christian of you to insult me, by the way. First of all, my doctorate isn't in theology. Second, I didn't claim to know any of these things as facts, and I think I made it pretty clear that it was an inquiry and not any form of authoritative commentary. As far as pointing fingers and stepping on toes, well I try to avoid that because I have mannners, but do not mistake it for weakness because I hit back. It's pretty evident that you did not read my posts entirely, were reactionary and thoughtless, were offended that anyone would probe this area of study, or just had a very hard time understanding what I wrote. I'm not entirely sure what combination of reasons, but I'm pretty sure that if I posted something shorter and simpler, I wouldn't have received this kind of reply from you.

Whatever the case, I don't need to prove a thing to you. Who do you think you are to question my qualifications? The very fact that you remonstrate shows that you haven't done your research. Your response shows that you lack exposure, open-mindedness, a willingness to learn, and ignorance of all the information that's been out there for a long time.

Let me put it this way, you obviously have no knowledge on the subject. If you were aware of all the information, archaeological studies, anthropological studies, journalism, and historical research on the subject, then you wouldn't have demanded that I specify it. Rather, specifications would be made along in the process of discussion. However, you didn't reply to discuss anything. You shut down any earnest discussion with you by your reproach and insults.

Therefore, if you don't know something about a subject, don't post on the topic unless you have a sincere inquiry. Instead of insulting the OP and making an outrageous rebuke, elect to participate in a thread which you have a genuine interest. You ignored the fact that I was humble enough to make an effort not to offend, and clear enough to convey that I'm no authority on the subject, so I think that's petty behavior.

Don't drag this needless drama on or escalate your apparent animosity, so be on your merry little way and spare me your reply. If you apologize and return with a kindness and sincerity, then perhaps I'll engage you in a sensible debate. Otherwise, know that I'm not a liberal and have zero interest in mingling with one.

I guess you forgot to read that masterpiece:
The DaVinci Code
LOL

The real LOL is how foolish you make yourself look in your jest. I never mentioned the Da Vinci Code (correct spelling), nor do I care at all for Tom Hanks or that movie, but I am open-minded to knowledge. You see, you wouldn't have made that joke if you understood the research that goes into making films, had knowledge of Leonardo Da Vinci's work, or knew all the plausible theories connected to Da Vinci.

Indeed, I would agree with the equally conspiratorial idea that Hollywood is a big liberal cesspool of demonic people who spread the devil's disease. However, regardless of what I think about Hollywood liberals, I cannot completely discredit some of the research done in certain works - nor can I assume that everything they produce is demonic and therefore avoid it entirely. When you cut yourself off from trying to look at things from different perspectives, or considering the theoretical and experimental values of inquiry, then you're left with a very narrow approach to gaining wisdom.

You can mock my posts all you want, but you might as well mock all the scientific research put into the Shroud of Turin, the Holy Chalice of Valencia, and Juan Diego's Tilma. Yeah, OK, let's all be like you and epostle1 over there and insult and mock anyone who asks questions or wants to explore ideas outside of your own. Good luck with that kind of thinking.

We're not too interested in churches since churches don't save us but only attempt to guide us.

Most posts opposing a church are against the CC. I still don't know why, but it doesn't matter.

I say this to say that it doesn't matter what secrets are kept, IF there are any.
For instance, nobody knows for sure how much the Vatican State is worth. Do we really care? Will it get us closer to God? I don't think so, so I don't think about it too much.

If I do learn of a secret, I'll remember to post it so it's not a secret anymore.

Sorry, but it's not about what you think "most people here" are interested in. It has everything to do with Jesus and the bible. Speak for yourself, especially when you say things like "We're not interested in churches since churches don't save us...." To YOU it doesn't matter what secrets are kept, but maybe the inspiration to find out lost secrets are God's will. Maybe the devil has hidden things from mankind in order to keep evidence from our eyes. You don't know that, but go ahead and convince everyone here in scripture that we shouldn't be vigilant in guarding against Satan's insidious nature.

Don't tell me that you're trying to do your best. Doing your best is putting in effort to understand things beyond your current understanding, not mocking people who want to go beyond trite recitals of cliche bible stories and singing in church so you can go around like a spokesperson for all Christians. By the way, you should ask yourself if your own behavior gets you closer to God - like mocking and insulting me.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
@KAM

I don't know what I wrote to cause such a reaction.
The dumb book spoke of secrets. I think I'm allowed to joke with other posters that know me.
When one posts an OP the reactions will be what they are. My reaction was what it was.
It was not meant to be insulting to you. If you believe there are secrets,,,just say what they are.
My point was that I don't really care. Why should I care?

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Good one...well said. Glad that you posted that. :D

Reactions: GodsGrace

KAM

Jul 9, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well if you are the kind of people who act this way, then innocently claim you were "just joking," then I've made a foolish decision to join this forum. This is the first Christian/religious forum I ever joined, and I joined this forum particularly for the bible study sub-forum. However, in the span of days that I've been a member, and in the only two threads I started and participated in, I've been mocked and insulted several times.

Even though I always post to set the tone with a cautious and cordial approach to my inquiries, I'm repeatedly met with the same typical people that troll every other non-Christian discussion board on the Internet. I cannot stand liberals because they intolerant of other opinions and inherently wicked, yet that's what I've apparently found here (not everyone of course, but already too many for me to care about). How foolish of me to think that I would be among people who show kindness, consideration, benevolence, or even common decorum just because this is a religious forum.

In fact, your hypocrisy reminds me of why I stopped going to churches for the past 18 years. Ironically, however, you've helped me confirm a conclusion I came to long ago - that Christianity is between a man and God alone. I will never again seek wisdom from anyone who is not profoundly knowledgeable in the bible and more humble than myself. From now on, I'll buy the resources I need and figure things out on my own. This is a waste of time.

I'm going to go ahead and bid you farewell. Perhaps you got what you wanted, so now you can go back to your prosaic discussions and share in the bromide of your little online Christian clique without someone like me to come along and inconvenience you with questions that you aren't interested in exploring. I'm sure that all you do here will bring you closer to God, as you say. Nevertheless, I forgive you for you don not know what you do.

Good one...well said. Glad that you posted that. :D

"Good one," pfft. Oh please, how corny. You remind me of someone like that kooky Elizabeth Warren. Jeez, I'm so outta here.

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

That is IMPOSSIBLE.

This is True, as of recent times the Vatican has placed plenty of the material Archived within their Vaults on line, Here is the problem, one must have good knowledge to be able to access, Manuscripts, weather in Latin, Greek ,or Hebrew, they are there and there for anyone, that Has the ability to know what they are looking for, and then able to read different Languages. Just being able to find what you might want, takes Scholarly Ability. A Jew I follow has been able to find some great stuff! so do not discount what epostle1 has said! There are plenty of religious Manuscripts, books, and even children book from times past. As I believe this Jew with utmost regard, He is Quit a Scholar!