Celebrate Halloween?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
HammerStone, my point is not that we should not participate in something because it isn't Christian. Did I say we shouldn't use costumes? That any costumes are wrong even if some kids did a play about say, the Egyptians in the desert? No. Then how does that mean I say we shouldn't use the internet? It doesn't. :)

See, I don't judge anyone for participating. I know many nice people who do it just for the fun of it, and that's fine. It's innocent and does no harm in this way.

But we are called to be peculiar and set apart. How do I see this relating? The world has it's feasts and it's days, we have been given different ones by the Lord. This in itself is a testimony... People ask, 'why are you different?'

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure everyone realizes that Halloween's roots are in the occult and even Satan worshipping. I just want to know if and when it changed. Is it different now that it's viewed as "fun" for the children? And do you believe its only just for children? It seems many adults with or without children enjoy it as well.

To me, its roots are in evil and so its still evil. If you aren't celebrating something evil, what are you celebrating? Jesus? I know what some may ask, and yes.... I do plenty of things that have nothing to do with Jesus too. I like football for one. It has nothing to do with Jesus no matter how many Tim Tebows come on the scene or how many times Plaxico Burress thanks God for a touchdown! -wink! However, it certainly doesn't have its roots in the occult like Halloween.

As for All Saints Day.... Aspen (I think) had it right.... It was an attempt to blend Celtic paganism with Catholicism. I find the whole idea of trying to "Chrisitanize" pagan practices offensive. Shall we also Christianize a pentogram or play Ozzy Osbourne in Churches to draw more to Christ? God told the Hebrews to tear down the pagan alters and groves, not convert them.

Anyway, here's a link, and that's my take..

http://www.history.com/topics/halloween

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
reclaiming creation for God is not wrong. Paul did it in the NT - the statue to the UNKNOWN GOD was Christianized by him to make a point and to build a bridge between the Greeks and Christianity

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
looking back at the history of halloween is enough to prove it wrong.
i looked back to when it was called all hallows eve and that should be enough for you.
if it isn't, look back to when it was called soween. the further back you trace the history the more evil it is.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
nothing in creation 'belongs' to evil. God created everything - we are the ones who twist His creation - what is wrong with untwisting it?

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
nothing in creation 'belongs' to evil. God created everything - we are the ones who twist His creation - what is wrong with untwisting it?
God created evil too. So it's ok to be evil?

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God created evil too. So it's ok to be evil?

Evil is a lack of good - it is not a force. Evil is like cold, which is a lack of heat. God created the capacity for evil, but He could not have created evil - it is not in His nature.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Evil is a lack of good - it is not a force. Evil is like cold, which is a lack of heat. God created the capacity for evil, but He could not have created evil - it is not in His nature.

sa 45:7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011

evil is not a force?? you need to read the bible.

Ephesians 6:12

New International Version (NIV)

[sup]12[/sup] For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
evil is not a force?? you need to read the bible.

Ephesians 6:12

New International Version (NIV)

[sup]12[/sup] For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.

Ah....of course......I must just not be reading the Bible!

I guess someone should have given Augustine and the rest of the early church fathers the same advice - it would have saved them so much time.....

brionne

May 31, 2010
Australia
if we are ever in doubt about something, its always good to ask 'would Jesus do this' or 'did jesus do that'

Can you imaging Jesus putting on a scull mask and threatening to cast an evil spell on someone if they dont give them candy?

Also, look at the roots of any celebration to see where it originates...you might just find that the very thing you think is harmless, is actually rooted in human sacrifices and pagan ceremonies....both of which are abhorrent practices in the eyes of our God.

THE Gypsy

Jul 27, 2011
Earth
Very interesting topic. One year when my son was young, at the end of a Christian Women's Bible study, I brought this up for discussion. Hands down, the unanimous opinion was hide in a back room with the lights off and wait until it's over.

Sorry I just don't believe Believers should "hide" from anything. What kind of witness is that?

My son had broken his foot just before Halloween so he dressed up as an accident victim...Complete with bruises and crutches! He was asked if the crutches and cast were real at virtually every house he went too...When he said yes...Everyone gave him extra candy.
ja2.gif

At home, we bought a bunch of candy and those little snack size baggies. Mr. Gypsy is a graphic designer so he made some tracks and we put one of those, and 3 pieces of candy in each baggie. The three pieces of candy represented the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

I believe with everything in me that God blessed those tracks along the way.

You don't have to glorify evil to be a witness in the midst of it.
Oh yeah...BTW...I was kicked out of the Bible study for challenging the opinion of the mob rule.
smilie_girl_303.gif

calbhach

Feb 16, 2011
I personally feel that Christians should not participate in Halloween. Its origins are dark and Satanic, first of all. When I was a kid, I never thought about these types of things, but I certainly do now. Halloween is no holiday...a holiday is a "holy day". Halloween is NOT Holy. :\

First of all, what are we essentially teaching children by allowing them to do this? They can disguise themselves and go threatening people for candy, lest they do something mean to get vengeance? That doesn't sound like anything I'd want my kids participating in (not that I have any), but I wouldn't teach them to do such things if I did.

Ephesians 5:11 - Take no part in the unfruitful works of darkness, but instead expose them.
On the outside, Halloween seems like a innocent game for kids...but is it? Please take a look at this -

http://www.history.com/topics/halloween

I feel as though our senses, as humans, have become numbed to things such as this. We don't really think about it because it has become a normal yearly activity. However, how would God feel about this? Don't we know that because we're celebrating and event in which the Celts would cause so much trouble, burn crops, sacrifice to their deities, and attempt to tell fortunes...don't we realize just how sad and angry that must make God? We are CELEBRATING this, whether we knew its origins or not?

Romans 1:18 - For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth.

I feel that as Christians, we need to be growing in God, and pushing these worldly events behind us so that we can come closer to God. Small things like this place so much clutter between us and Him...how can we see Him through such a mess?

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
I personally feel that Christians should not participate in Halloween. Its origins are dark and Satanic, first of all. When I was a kid, I never thought about these types of things, but I certainly do now. Halloween is no holiday...a holiday is a "holy day". Halloween is NOT Holy. :\

First of all, what are we essentially teaching children by allowing them to do this? They can disguise themselves and go threatening people for candy, lest they do something mean to get vengeance? That doesn't sound like anything I'd want my kids participating in (not that I have any), but I wouldn't teach them to do such things if I did.

Ephesians 5:11 - Take no part in the unfruitful works of darkness, but instead expose them.
On the outside, Halloween seems like a innocent game for kids...but is it? Please take a look at this -

http://www.history.c...opics/halloween

I feel as though our senses, as humans, have become numbed to things such as this. We don't really think about it because it has become a normal yearly activity. However, how would God feel about this? Don't we know that because we're celebrating and event in which the Celts would cause so much trouble, burn crops, sacrifice to their deities, and attempt to tell fortunes...don't we realize just how sad and angry that must make God? We are CELEBRATING this, whether we knew its origins or not?

Romans 1:18 - For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth.

I feel that as Christians, we need to be growing in God, and pushing these worldly events behind us so that we can come closer to God. Small things like this place so much clutter between us and Him...how can we see Him through such a mess?
Do you feel the same about "All Saints Day"?

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
here's a couple of links that reveal just how horrid the roots of halloween truly are.

http://www.jeremiahproject.com/culture/halloween.html

http://libertytothecaptives.net/why_fake_christians_push_trick-or-treat_ritual.html