Celebrate Halloween?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
I see Christmas as something that can be subverted. The world uses it to celebrate this myth of Santa Claus, they use it to party, etc etc.

We can use it to talk about the birth of Christ, we can make it different. I am not saying we should, or need to. But I do understand how that can work. You celebrate at the same time, but something different. I am not saying it's the best way to go about Christmas, it's just one possibility.

But how can you subvert Halloween? Dress in an angel of light? Oh wait a minute... :lol:

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
A final question: What is Christian about sending your children around to threaten people and take their candy? In essence, that's what it is. It's as good as a thief coming into a store of a bank or something and telling the guy at the cash register: "Gimme the money, or I'll _____". While the threat may be idle, it's still an unloving, sinful attitude. So please, tell me your thoughts on that.
I personally have never seen or even heard of any children "threaten people and take their candy", but then I have heard of many people being robbed during Christmas holidays.

I see Christmas as something that can be subverted. The world uses it to celebrate this myth of Santa Claus, they use it to party, etc etc.

We can use it to talk about the birth of Christ, we can make it different. I am not saying we should, or need to. But I do understand how that can work. You celebrate at the same time, but something different. I am not saying it's the best way to go about Christmas, it's just one possibility.

But how can you subvert Halloween? Dress in an angel of light? Oh wait a minute... :lol:
Very true Pentise and considering that it really isn't Jesus' birth date which would make it untrue I wonder how many would say it is wrong too.

Halloween is a perversion from All Saints Day and much the same as many christian holidays such as Christmas and Easter.

Guess maybe that is why Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday.

Redeemed86

Oct 14, 2011
I would say if one wants to be consistent then a Christian would have the same reason to observe Halloween the same they observe Christmas. Because they both have their roots in paganism. Because how would one justify keeping Christmas and not Halloween?

1 Corinthians 10:31

31 "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."

Because we do it in the name of Jesus and are celebrating an actual event that involves Jesus himself. He may not have been born exactly on December 25th, but that is the day that was chosen to celebrate his coming into the world as a gift from God to all of us. We aren't celebrating the pagan winter solstice or the legend of St. Nicholas that both happen to be around the same time. The events really have nothing to do with one another besides sharing the same day. If I visit family and give them gifts (with limits, of course), it's in remembrance of the gift we were given. Since trees aren't inherently evil either, adopting them in the name of Christ isn't a big deal either, to me.

In other words, days in and of themselves, are neutral. It's what is done on that day that is good or evil. The enemy doesn't have the power to defame the birth of Christ. No matter what sins, rituals and/or false worship was being done by pagans on the ACTUAL day Christ was born, whatever day that happened to be, God came with a desire to save everyone and nothing on Earth is greater than God. I can't speak for everyone, but that is what my family is celebrating on Christmas.

Whereas, the activity of Halloween was of evil origin to begin with. The RCC created "All Saints Day" a day AFTER Halloween and I haven't read anything that mentioned they intended to include an evening before. I don't see the good in celebrating the "eve" before the actual day chosen to recognize fallen saints, other than for pagans to keep their tradition alive by renaming it. Reminds me of McDonald's and Burger King. They compete but never cancel each other out. If people did things on November 1st, I could see the reasoning there but most all people recognize the 31st as the official day, while giving "All Saints Day" honorable mention.

The only difference between "trick or treat" now and then is that they didn't have the processed candy and the words weren't meant to be "cute" then.

"All Saints Day" itself involves reference to purgatory and intercessory prayer of people no longer living, which is something I don't believe in, so I can't and won't use it to reconcile Halloween with my personal belief in Christ.

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
Halloween means "Hallow's Eve", which means "evening." Halloween is typically linked to the Celtic festival of Samhain (whose original spelling was Samiun). The name of the festival historically kept by the Gaels and the Celts in the British Isles is derived from an old Irish and means "Summer's End." According to the Oxford Dictionary of English folk lore: "Certainly Samhain was a time for festive gatherings, and medieval Irish texts and later Irish, Welsh, and Scottish folklore use it as a setting for supernatural encounters, but there is no evidence that it was connected with the dead in pre-Christian times, or that pagan religious ceremonies were held."

no evidence? i guess people will choose to believe the lie so they can continue to sin.

I don't get me information from movies or from fiction. Christmas was not always about the birth of Jesus.....they (Christians) just changed it and adopt it to honor the birth of Jesus. Because Jesus was not born of December the 25. Read the Bible and you will see that the shepherd were out tending their flocks when they got the word about where the baby Jesus was......they don't look after sheep in winter in Jerusalem. Do your research and see where Christmas came from......it came from pagans just as Halloween. Why is one pagan holiday was fine to be adopted for Christians and another is not?

Do you celebrate Christmas? Do you know where that celebration came from?

that wouldn't be a reason to celebrate halloween, but rather a reason to not have a christmas tree.

calbhach

Feb 16, 2011
I personally have never seen or even heard of any children "threaten people and take their candy", but then I have heard of many people being robbed during Christmas holidays.

"Trick or treat" is a threat. It means "Give me what I want, or I'm going to do something mean to you".

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
to say the least.

The Druids went from castle to castle doing exactly the same thing. They also demanded a ‘treat’, however, this demand was for a young woman who could be offered as a human sacrifice in a Satanic ritual. The Druids were known as men of Oak and they demanded blood sacrifices. These men were so controlled by Satanic forces that they had strange and frightening powers.
If the ‘treat’ (the young woman) pleased the Druids, they would light a candle made of human fat and insert it in a Jack-O-Lantern to protect those inside the castle from being killed by demons.
When some of the families could not meet the demands of the Druids then it was time for a ‘trick’. A hexagram was drawn on the front door of the dwelling, and it was said that Satan or his demons would kill someone in the household through fear that night.

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
no evidence? i guess people will choose to believe the lie so they can continue to sin.

There is no evidence and that came from the Oxford Dictionary of English Folklore. It was a group of scholars and researchers who wrote this dictionary, so I would tend to take their word more. There is no such thing as a god or goddess named "Halloween" or even "Hallow's Eve." If you look up the root word for it, Halloween simply means "evening." It's certainly is not anyone's fault that over the years someone else decided to turn it into something else.

As I said, I don't see anything wrong with mocking and making fun of the Devil. I certainly don't think "trick or treat" is meant as a threat, but as part of the "fun and games" attitude in the atmosphere. I go out and buy candy for the "trick or treaters" not because I don't want them to do any tricks (because I know they won't), but I do it to participate in the fun and games.

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
There is no evidence and that came from the Oxford Dictionary of English Folklore. It was a group of scholars and researchers who wrote this dictionary, so I would tend to take their word more. There is no such thing as a god or goddess named "Halloween" or even "Hallow's Eve." If you look up the root word for it, Halloween simply means "evening." It's certainly is not anyone's fault that over the years someone else decided to turn it into something else.

As I said, I don't see anything wrong with mocking and making fun of the Devil. I certainly don't think "trick or treat" is meant as a threat, but as part of the "fun and games" attitude in the atmosphere. I go out and buy candy for the "trick or treaters" not because I don't want them to do any tricks (because I know they won't), but I do it to participate in the fun and games.

the roots of halloween trace back to before the time of hallows eve, back to the time of Samhain . look at the links i provided on page 2. something is telling me that you are being deceptive.

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
the roots of halloween trace back to before the time of hallows eve, back to the time of Samhain . look at the links i provided on page 2. something is telling me that you are being deceptive.

If it goes back before the time of Hallow's Eve, then it has nothing to do with Halloween or even Samhain. Also, your websites are all religious websites. The information I gave you on "Halloween" is from a group of scholars and researchers who developed the Oxford Dictionary of English folklore.

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
it has to do with the roots that it traces back to. and what's wrong with christian websights and sources?

Buzzfruit

Aug 21, 2011
Bronx, New York, U.S.A

Well, it goes beyond that. There were pagan sex rites that were practice during the December 25 that have something to do with Nimrod and his mother

that wouldn't be a reason to celebrate halloween, but rather a reason to not have a christmas tree.

I am not suggesting that we should. I am saying the same reason that one would used to not celebrate Halloween, is the same reason one should not celebrate Christmas. If one is going to reject something because it is evil, then how come the new converts from paganism to Christianity decided to convert the pagan mother and child and apply it to the baby Jesus and His mother Mary?

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
it has to do with the roots that it traces back to. and what's wrong with christian websights and sources?

Anything that claims to go past their roots is not part of it. Hallow's Eve (which means "evening") has its roots in Samhain (which means "Summer's End). That is its origin and starting point. Hallow's Eve (October 31st) marks the end of the summer and the harvest to the Celts. November 1st is considered the beginning of the new year for them and even the beginning of the coming winter. It is like that in other cultures. China's new year is in February, and America celebrates January 1st as their new year. Those Christian websites did not look at the source and roots of Halloween.

Buzzfruit

Aug 21, 2011
Bronx, New York, U.S.A
1 Corinthians 10:31

31 "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."

Because we do it in the name of Jesus and are celebrating an actual event that involves Jesus himself. He may not have been born exactly on December 25th, but that is the day that was chosen to celebrate his coming into the world as a gift from God to all of us. We aren't celebrating the pagan winter solstice or the legend of St. Nicholas that both happen to be around the same time. The events really have nothing to do with one another besides sharing the same day. If I visit family and give them gifts (with limits, of course), it's in remembrance of the gift we were given. Since trees aren't inherently evil either, adopting them in the name of Christ isn't a big deal either, to me.

In other words, days in and of themselves, are neutral. It's what is done on that day that is good or evil. The enemy doesn't have the power to defame the birth of Christ. No matter what sins, rituals and/or false worship was being done by pagans on the ACTUAL day Christ was born, whatever day that happened to be, God came with a desire to save everyone and nothing on Earth is greater than God. I can't speak for everyone, but that is what my family is celebrating on Christmas.

Whereas, the activity of Halloween was of evil origin to begin with. The RCC created "All Saints Day" a day AFTER Halloween and I haven't read anything that mentioned they intended to include an evening before. I don't see the good in celebrating the "eve" before the actual day chosen to recognize fallen saints, other than for pagans to keep their tradition alive by renaming it. Reminds me of McDonald's and Burger King. They compete but never cancel each other out. If people did things on November 1st, I could see the reasoning there but most all people recognize the 31st as the official day, while giving "All Saints Day" honorable mention.

The only difference between "trick or treat" now and then is that they didn't have the processed candy and the words weren't meant to be "cute" then.

"All Saints Day" itself involves reference to purgatory and intercessory prayer of people no longer living, which is something I don't believe in, so I can't and won't use it to reconcile Halloween with my personal belief in Christ.

The same way new converts to Christianity were able to convert the pagan symbols and apply it to Jesus, why can't the same thing be done with Halloween? I mean, for example, instead of dressing up as witches and so on, how about dressing up as angels bring the treat of good news to all? I am sure if one use their imagination they could figure something out to adopt it to Christianity if they wanted to.

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
halloweens roots trace back to satanism. bottem line. and dark and light do not mix.

calbhach

Feb 16, 2011
Exactly!

1 John 1:5-7 - This is the message we have heard from him and proclaim to you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. If we say we have fellowship with him while we walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin.

John 11:10 - But if anyone walks in the night, he stumbles, because the light is not in him.”

Romans 13:12 - The night is far gone; the day is at hand. So then let us cast off the works of darkness and put on the armor of light.

2 Corinthians 6:14 - Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness?

Colossians 1:13 - He has delivered us from the domain of darkness and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son,

The question is this. Does God want us to be a part of this? If He doesn't, then we shouldn't.

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
halloweens roots trace back to satanism. bottem line. and dark and light do not mix.

No, it does not go back to Satanism. The Celts were pagans until the Christian missionaries came. HOW they celebrated the end of summer is in accordance to their pagan customs. So, what did you expect? Pagans are not Satanists who worship the devil. They're ignorant people who did not know the one true God yet.....until the Christian missionaries came. There is no scientific evidence that the Celts practiced human sacrifice. I would link Human sacrifice to Satanism. They do, however practice crop and animal sacrifice. Hallow's Eve is not even a name of a god or goddess. It simply means the end of the summer and harvest time.

In the same way, the Chinese also celebrated their new year sometime in February. February has nothing to do with Satanism. And HOW the Chinese celebrated their new year is up to them. In the same way, I know that Americans celebrate their new year with fireworks. Does fireworks have to do with Satan?

lawrance

Mar 30, 2011
I don't get me information from movies or from fiction. Christmas was not always about the birth of Jesus.....they (Christians) just changed it and adopt it to honor the birth of Jesus. Because Jesus was not born of December the 25. Read the Bible and you will see that the shepherd were out tending their flocks when they got the word about where the baby Jesus was......they don't look after sheep in winter in Jerusalem. Do your research and see where Christmas came from......it came from pagans just as Halloween. Why is one pagan holiday was fine to be adopted for Christians and another is not?

Do you celebrate Christmas? Do you know where that celebration came from?
What a load of rubbish. i get sick of hearing that stupid nonsense carrying on about dragging up some half baked excuse relating it to Jesus as in fact it has noting to do with that rubbish at all and anyone that says it is to do with it is just fooling themselves it's just like the JW that run around with that stupid totem pole with 3 faces claiming they found the trinity how foolish.
Ask any Christian that has Christmas why they are doing it and i am sure they are not into the rubbish you are dragging up.
Slander is it not.

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
No, it does not go back to Satanism. The Celts were pagans until the Christian missionaries came. How they celebrated the end of summer is in accordance to their pagan customs. So, what did you expect? Pagans are not Satanists who worship the devil. They're ignorant people who did not know the one true God yet.....until the Christian missionaries came. There is no scientific evidence that the Celts practiced human sacrifice. I would link Human sacrifice to Satanism. They do, however practice crop and animal sacrifice. Hallow's Eve is not even a name of a god or goddess. It simply means the end of the summer and harvest time.

and who do they offer these crop and animal sacrificies to? open your eyes. even that is satanic.