Celebrating Christmas ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

HolyMood

Aug 25, 2019
Cologne
Faith
Christian
Country
Germany
What do you think of celebrating Christmas, even Jesus was probably not born on December 25th?

And what do you think about celebrating Christmas like the world does (Christmas Tree, Presents, Santa...)

Let me know what you think.

Be blessed!

Reactions: Ziggy

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why not? You people act like have a merry time is some great sin. Honestly we give presents not because of some pagan thing but because the wise man did. The reason it is on Dec 25 is because a long time ago a Bishop calculated some dates and it out came out to December 25. Honestly you people and your "oh no this is pagan" crap. Get over yourselves already. You wanna act all Scrooge do it but let us who keep Christmas keep it

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What do you think of celebrating Christmas...
Focus on this:

Once in Royal David’s city
Stood a lowly cattle shed.
Where a mother laid her baby
In a manger for His bed.
Mary was that mother mild,
Jesus Christ that little child.

He came down to earth from Heaven,
Who is God and Lord of all.

And his shelter was a stable,
And his cradle was a stall.
With the poor and mean and lowly,
Lived on earth our Saviour Holy.

And our eyes at last shall see Him
Through His own redeeming love,
For that child so dear and gentle
Is our Lord in Heaven above;
And He leads His children on
To the place where He is gone.

Not in that poor, lowly stable,
With the oxen standing by,
We shall see Him; but in Heaven,
Set at God’s right hand on high,
When, like stars, His children crowned
All in white, shall wait around.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why not? You people act like have a merry time is some great sin. Honestly we give presents not because of some pagan thing but because the wise man did. The reason it is on Dec 25 is because a long time ago a Bishop calculated some dates and it out came out to December 25. Honestly you people and your "oh no this is pagan" crap. Get over yourselves already. You wanna act all Scrooge do it but let us who keep Christmas keep it

I'm guessing that "peace on Earth and good will toward men" means that we should put on sackcloth and ashes and begin mourning for Jesus' birthday party.

Just don't do it for my party.

Reactions: April_Rose

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm guessing that "peace on Earth and good will toward men" means that we should put on sackcloth and ashes and begin mourning for Jesus' birthday party.

Just don't do it for my party.

Don't sweat it. There are people on here that will whine and complain about every little thing. It's enough to make even God roll His eyes. :rolleyes:

Reactions: historyb and JohnDB

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He @HolyMood only showed one graphic and asked some questions. He gave no answers and expressed no opinion... You @historyb are the one who drew some conclusions attacking some unidentified group ["you people"]. Slow down a little bit before you go into an attack mode. What kind of a Christmas spirit should we have? Who is our neighbor or our enemy that we should love?

See a Christmas in 1914, World War I:

In the week leading up to 25 December, French, German, and British soldiers crossed trenches to exchange seasonal greetings and talk. In some areas, men from both sides ventured into no man's land on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day to mingle and exchange food and souvenirs. There were joint burial ceremonies and prisoner swaps, while several meetings ended in carol-singing. Men played games of football with one another, creating one of the most memorable images of the truce.

Reactions: BarneyFife

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He @HolyMood only showed one graphic and asked some questions. He gave no answers and expressed no opinion... You @historyb are the one who drew some conclusions attacking some unidentified group ["you people"]. Slow down a little bit before you go into an attack mode. What kind of a Christmas spirit should we have? Who is our neighbor or our enemy that we should love?

See a Christmas in 1914, World War I:

In the week leading up to 25 December, French, German, and British soldiers crossed trenches to exchange seasonal greetings and talk. In some areas, men from both sides ventured into no man's land on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day to mingle and exchange food and souvenirs. There were joint burial ceremonies and prisoner swaps, while several meetings ended in carol-singing. Men played games of football with one another, creating one of the most memorable images of the truce.

In his defense, I agree with him even though he could have said it in different nicer words,.. but then again I wasn't being too nice either because I'm annoyed. First it was Halloween, then it was Santa Claus himself, and now this. I'm sick of it and I know once Easter comes it's going to start all over again with the Easter Bunny. :rolleyes:

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In his defense, I agree with him even though he could have said it in different nicer words,.. but then again I wasn't being too nice either because I'm annoyed. First it was Halloween, then it was Santa Claus himself, and now this. I'm sick of it and I know once Easter comes it's going to start all over again with the Easter Bunny. :rolleyes:
I do understand your point, but our words are very important to each other as well as to God. The reason we are celebrating should include that we love Him and everyone else without regard for any non-Christian connections or origins anyone may want to point out.

Additionally this is his thread presented in the debate forum. With only 9 posts, he is a very new member and perhaps an attack so soon is not a good welcome to the forum.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What do you think of celebrating Christmas, even Jesus was probably not born on December 25th?

And what do you think about celebrating Christmas like the world does (Christmas Tree, Presents, Santa...)

Be blessed!
Welcome to the forum and may God richly bless you during your time here!

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do understand your point, but our words are very important to each other as well as to God. The reason we are celebrating should include that we love Him and everyone else without regard for any non-Christian connections or origins anyone may want to point out.

Additionally this is his thread presented in the debate forum. With only 9 posts, he is a very new member and perhaps an attack so soon is not a good welcome to the forum.

Yes good point but I forgot to add that around Saint Patrick's Day you can bet that we'll have to worry about the evilness of leprechauns as well. :rolleyes:

Reactions: amadeus

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes good point but I forgot to add that around Saint Patrick's Day you can bet that we'll have to worry about the evilness of leprechauns as well. :rolleyes:
Oh the evils of green beer, corned beef and cabbage, and even Shepherds pie...the horror of it all....

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh the evils of green beer, corned beef and cabbage, and even Shepherds pie...the horror of it all....

I don't do any of those things but I still had to do my famous dramatic reaction anyways. :D

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh yeah and I've heard it said that April Fool's Day is supposed to be evil as well,.. (the people that say that are the ones that are always getting fooled though in my honest opinion. :D)

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Pro 17:8 A gift is as a precious stone in the eyes of him that hath it: whithersoever it turneth, it prospereth.

Jhn 4:10 Jesus answered and said unto her, If thou knewest the gift of God, and who it is that saith to thee, Give me to drink; thou wouldest have asked of him, and he would have given thee living water.

2Co 9:15 Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.

1Pe 4:10 As every man hath received the gift, even so minister the same one to another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God.

Christmas isn't a day, it's the way life should be everyday.
Everyday Christ is born in a new born again believer.
Thus, Christmas is everyday.

Hugs

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh and let me add one more quick note here. I don't care what holidays you celebrate and what you don't, but when you make it about a person instead of the holiday itself that's when I get upset. It shouldn't really matter what we celebrate, as we're all (for the most part) Christians and love Jesus and we're all also (for the most part) regular people just like everybody else. The title of Christian shouldn't be a label that we can't enjoy the holidays like everybody else does if we choose to.

Reactions: historyb

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh and let me add one more quick note here. I don't care what holidays you celebrate and what you don't, but when you make it about a person instead of the holiday itself that's when I get upset. It shouldn't really matter what we celebrate, as we're all (for the most part) Christians and love Jesus and we're all also (for the most part) regular people just like everybody else. The title of Christian shouldn't be a label that we can't enjoy the holidays like everybody else does if we choose to.

As long as one isn't led away from the True God, to follow after "another" god.
This was what happened to Israel over and over and over again. They were led away into other pagan holidays that had nothing to do with
God Almighty.
And all there needs is one banana peel to cause you to slip into idolatry.
Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
Jesus is the door and the truth and the light.
It's not a tree with candles and pretty ribbons on packages.
I understand the "symbology" .
I don't judge others on what days they choose to keep or not to keep.
I myself do not "keep" Christmas. The Spirit of it yea, the commeciality of it nay.

But let us all have a wonderful and joyful day in the Lord celebrating His gift of Life to us.
May God Bless all of you and all of your families with a day of Joy and Peace for all mankind.

Hugs

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

the RCC adopted a gentile holiday to celebrate the birth of Christ, and the influence of that grew. it was a wise decision seeing it gives opportunity for unsaved to hear about the savior.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Be blessed!
No, I think that Christmas is an absolute insult to Christ. Christ was given gifts because he was just that inimitably special. Why in the world would we attempt to emulate the honour and worship that Christ received, between ourselves?
Christ said be always vigilante, do not be like the 5 virgins who were not prepared. Meaning, one day out of the year is not worthy of any more devotion and attention to Christ, than the rest of the year. Also, it seems that it is Saint Nicholas who is the one getting all the attention, or at least, an inordinate amount, often over-shadowing Christ.
For those who are serious, no, we don't revere any single or particular days over another, in honour of Christ. He is King of Kings and Lord of Lord, all has been put under his rule, as it pleased the Father to do so. Christ is king for eternity, to the point that a single day set aside to pay homage to him, is nothing but an utter insult.
Every day is Christ's day, as all who have ever walked the earth, including saints and demons alike, will find out!

Reactions: Freeborn