Charismatic Bible Studies #1

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This reminds me of Joseph and the coat of many colors. It wasn't Joseph's fault he was blessed of God, and chosen above his brethren. He just was, and there wasn't much he could do about it. But they were jealous and hated him for it. They even tried to kill him over it. Just human nature I guess. But the beautiful part is they maybe found out WHY he was chosen by the time the story ended. Maybe he was chosen because of his humility, and because when the day came that he could have ground them to a fine powder he instead chose to show them mercy, he instead embraced them again as their brother.

As they say, "That'll preach," LoL.
Yes, that'll preach! Have you ever considered the connection between the coat many colors of Joseph wore when he was thrown into the pit by his brothers [Gen 37:3, 21] and the garment which Tamar, the sister of Absalom wore, at the time her other brother, Amnon, raped her [I Sam 13:18]?

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Question for this study: How important is it to understand that the Holy Spirit is "God with us," and manifesting Himself in our personal lives?

I will go ahead and get the ball rolling here by answering the question first.

In my opinion it is VITALLY important that we understand He is God. If we know that God Himself is manifesting Himself in our lives, whether by revealing to us His word, or by operating through us in spiritual gifts, we KNOW He is with us and loves us. We KNOW that He is real, and that our Christianity is not just in our heads and not something we have to take solely "on faith."

Then, when hard times come to test our faith, we look back on the times God has made Himself REAL to us, and we are reminded again of why Jesus is indeed truly the Son of God, and our faith is not misplaced.

In the Old Testament there are many references to 'God's Spirit' which is the Spirit of God. In the New Testament He is referred to as the Holy Spirit. And without his presence in our lives we can't really function as God requires us to. The Holy Spirit is our power source, our guide, our encourager and our inspiration. He gives us all we need to live Godly, holy and righteous lives and it is sad that so many people aren't taught this by the ones who are supposed to lead them into all truth.

I have family who would call themselves Christian and yet have no knowledge of the fruit or the gifts of the Holy Spirit. We are meant to trust Him and to rely on Him in all areas of our lives instead of going it alone and trying to change ourselves.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, that'll preach! Have you ever considered the connection between the coat many colors of Joseph wore when he was thrown into the pit by his brothers [Gen 37:3, 21] and the garment which Tamar, the sister of Absalom wore, at the time her other brother, Amnon, raped her [I Sam 13:18]?

No, actually. Feel free to share your thoughts : )
In the Old Testament there are many references to 'God's Spirit' which is the Spirit of God. In the New Testament He is referred to as the Holy Spirit. And without his presence in our lives we can't really function as God requires us to. The Holy Spirit is our power source, our guide, our encourager and our inspiration. He gives us all we need to live Godly, holy and righteous lives and it is sad that so many people aren't taught this by the ones who are supposed to lead them into all truth.

I have family who would call themselves Christian and yet have no knowledge of the fruit or the gifts of the Holy Spirit. We are meant to trust Him and to rely on Him in all areas of our lives instead of going it alone and trying to change ourselves.

Amen. A Christianity without the power of God is not the same witness. We may testify to His love, to His grace, to His mercy. But do we truly testify before men of His Divinity if He doesn't manifest Himself supernaturally through us? It leaves it in the realm of feelings and opinions, and mere religious beliefs. I count all such people who don't feel the same way as I do as brothers and sisters in Christ, but I cannot endorse the idea of a powerless Christianity. I feel like I do even them a disservice, let alone God and everyone else.

Reactions: Pearl

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'll go ahead and include the heart of Study #2 here. It seems to go with the same subject matter anyway:

II. Scripture states that the Holy Spirit is a Person, not just a force or influence —

A. He has a will.

1 Corinthians 12:11, Amplified Version: "All these [spiritual gifts] are inspired and brought to pass by one and the same Spirit, Who apportions to each person individually as He chooses … (NASB reads "as He wills.")

• Thus, the Holy Spirit has a will. He makes choices. He determines courses of action. These are characteristics of a person. In this verse, we see Him deciding which spiritual gifts to give to which people.

B. He has a mind.

Romans 8:27 "And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for God’s people in accordance with the will of God."

• The Spirit has “a mind.” Intellectual capability is a trait that speaks clearly of personhood.

C. He has emotions.

Ephesians 4:30 "And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God…"

• The Holy Spirit has emotions. Here, we see that He can be grieved. In Hebrews 10:29 we see that He can be “insulted.” So we understand that the Spirit of God has a will, a mind, and emotions. He is said to dwell in believers. These are clear indications of personality.

Reactions: Pearl

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He is very sensitive. We hurt His feelings and then wonder where He is.
Forgive me, Lord. I ask that You come in power...now!

Amen, and Amen. I think I would be too grieved to know I had hurt Him or let Him down, but it definitely ministers to those who love Him if we can bear it.

I went ahead and posted Study #2 in the series, but feel free to continue commenting here should the Spirit lead you.

God bless,
- H

Charismatic Bible Studies #2

Reactions: Truman

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, actually. Feel free to share your thoughts : )

Your mention of it brought it to my mind one more time. I won't derail this thread with it, but will initiate another thread on it and see what happens.

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is the name of the holy spirit sir? I know the name of God is Jehovah, and the name of His son is Jesus, but have yet to learn the name of the holy spirit. Hope you can help
Exodus 18:4 KJV
[4] And the name of the other was Eliezer; for the God of my father, said he, was mine help, and delivered me from the sword of Pharaoh:

for what it’s worth.

the name means help of my God.
In the Greek it is pronounced Lazarus.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The name Lazarus has its roots in the Hebrew name Eleazar, which translates to “God will help.” Lazarus is the Greek version of the name that appeared in The New Testament.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God who has no form unlike mankind He does not have a name to distinguish him from another form .

All of the names speak of immutible atributes . Like Jeusvah the powerfull one who has become our savaor . It is power performed by the unseen Holy Spirt as God with us (Emanuael) many names one God .

Yet God does have a name Gary, and true to what Ex 9:16 says it has been declared in all the earth. We know that name in English as Jehovah. The question was, what is the name of the holy spirit?

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exodus 18:4 KJV
[4] And the name of the other was Eliezer; for the God of my father, said he, was mine help, and delivered me from the sword of Pharaoh:

for what it’s worth.

the name means help of my God.
In the Greek it is pronounced Lazarus.

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I think I have always believed and trusted in the Holy Spirit, but didn’t really consider the gifts until The Lord challenged me about them some years after I came to faith. I was part of a church that didn’t ‘ use ‘ the gifts, or teach on them. The Lord actually used ‘ The alpha Course ‘ ( not sure it is in the USA ) my church frowned the course because it mentioned the gifts. The Holy Spirit prompted me to go through the course with my husband, but week after week he showed no real interest. We reached the session on The Holy Spirit, I always watch the video before going through the the sessions together. Every time I put the tape on something would happen,the door knocks, the phone rang ect ect. So I just ignored the interruptions and listened to the session, I realised I agreed with everything the session was teaching. Then it clicked, The Holy Spirit was showing me a truth by instigating the alpha course, it wasn’t for my husband. My Christian journey altered and I started to understand what people meant by ‘ a word from the Lord ‘ ..........I left my first church about a year afterwards, I simply wasn’t able to grow as a Christian in an environment that suppressed The Holy Spirit. .......
I would not have come to faith without the Holy Spirit speaking into my heart.......He is a valued part of the Trinity.
Rita

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I really appreciate your answer sir, you have put some thought into this, and I commend you for that. I also see how you could apply that through reasoning to being the name of the holy spirit.

I will have to say that I have to disagree, in that I believe that Eliezer was simply Moses' son and that the God of his Father (which was what Eliezer said) was his helper was referring to Jehovah, Moses' God.

But I definitely commend you for your research and thought about the subject.

Gary Urban

Apr 20, 2021
Milwaukee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yet God does have a name Gary, and true to what Ex 9:16 says it has been declared in all the earth. We know that name in English as Jehovah. The question was, what is the name of the holy spirit?

Jehovah is a attribute of God . Names in the bible speak of characteristics. The unbeleiving Jews turned it into something sacred or secret. . .as if any of the attributes of God were not sacred as set apart for a certain purpose. Jehovah the mighty one that has become our salavtion . Prior to that devilerance from Egypt . El Shaddai the Lord Almighty

Exodus the first time he was caled a savior of the perople

Exodus 6:2-4 King James Version (KJV)
And God spake unto Moses, and said unto him, I am the Lord:
And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my name Jehovah was I not known to them.

Isaiah 12:2 Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the Lord Jehovah is my strength and my song; he also is become my salvation

The name of the Holy Spirit is Holy Spirit if it is teaching then its called Christ the anointing teacher master .If it comforting its called the comforter etc..