Christ-like.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

martinlawrencescott

Servant Prince
Apr 6, 2011
Ventura, California
I don't understand the correlation we're lacking in Christ-like to Christians.

Netchaplain posted "It's not doing like Christ did. It's not us doing at all, but Christ doing everything in and by us!!"

As God's children, we are brothers of Christ and are held accountable to His ministry just as much as He was. I'm saying I'm agreeing with you on your point, Net.

The implications reach as far as the cross, but never exceed His glory. We sinned so we aren't risen again after death on our own merit, but His alone and by Him alone. How we got to the cross at the first place is because of Him. So when we get there again, and we're asked as Paul implied in Romans 9:3 For I could wish that myself were accursed from Christ for my brethren, my kinsmen according to the flesh...

You have to ask, "Would we do the same?"

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
Are you kidding me? Is this third grade or something? You highlighted a quote from PAUL and called it Gnostic. There is nothing to that action to point it back at me. Be an adult and admit to an error.

Xian doctrine can sound a lot like Gnosticism to the paranoid schizophrenic too.

When you make false rash statements that we as Christians can be "as perfect as Christ", THAT is saying we can be God, for Christ Jesus IS God The Saviour.

However, I wonder if you truly believe that Jesus of Nazareth The Christ is God? And if not, then that means you delegate Christ Jesus to the status of a prophet only, like Moses, Mohammed, Buddha, etc., which is a doctrine of Gnosticism.

Xian Pugilist

Aug 4, 2012
When you make false rash statements that we as Christians can be "as perfect as Christ", THAT is saying we can be God, for Christ Jesus IS God The Saviour.

You aren't listening. Will you sit down, shut up, let your mind stop and read what I'm typing... I didn't say it. PAUL SAID IT. I showed you the verse.

IF THAT IS GNOSTIC THEN PAUL TAUGHT GNOSTIC THEOLOGY.

If you are going to keep sticking your head in the sand and ignoring what is said, I will ignore you as not worth discussing with.

However, I wonder if you truly believe that Jesus of Nazareth The Christ is God? And if not, then that means you delegate Christ Jesus to the status of a prophet only, like Moses, Mohammed, Buddha, etc., which is a doctrine of Gnosticism.

I wonder if you should go get your omellette from a different diner in the morning. One that would use the right mushrooms and not the hand picked ones.

We have no need to discuss anything. You have been shown the error, you ignore it, won't refute it. You just sit there and scream "you are wrong" like a child throwing a temper tantrum, hands and feet on the ground "MINE MINE MINE MINE MINE".

Until you can discuss the points...... be silent.

[sup]12 [/sup]for the equipping of the [sup][d][/sup]saints for the work of service, to the building up of the body of Christ;
[sup]13 [/sup]until we all attain to the unity of the faith, and of the [sup][e][/sup]knowledge of the Son of God,

to a mature man, (This word is translated as PERFECT in many/most translations)
((How perfect?))

to the measure
{the cup is filled the same for us as it is for him.}

of the stature
[sup]{our cup is the same size as his}[/sup]

[sup][f][/sup]which belongs to the fullness of Christ.

{NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH BEING LIKE CHRIST< BUT BEING AS SPIRITUALLY PERFECT?MATURE AS HE WAS ON EARTH.}

It's PAUL'S WORDS NOT MINE.

martinlawrencescott

Servant Prince
Apr 6, 2011
Ventura, California
Don't worry about arguing. When it gets personal, it usually gets off topic. We can all agree to disagree once we have found common ground. Once you establish what's common, you can then establish the uncommonality, or difference in opinion. None of that requires personal remarks. It's the whole "Christians on a Christian forum" sort of thing. 'Nuff said.

Xian Pugilist

Aug 4, 2012
Don't worry about arguing. When it gets personal, it usually gets off topic. We can all agree to disagree once we have found common ground. Once you establish what's common, you can then establish the uncommonality, or difference in opinion. None of that requires personal remarks. It's the whole "Christians on a Christian forum" sort of thing. 'Nuff said.

Ok Stan Lee,

You can't establish common ground by ignoring anything said that disagrees with your preconceived notions and you are incapable of adjusting your views to match scripture.

To accuse me repeatedly of voicing Gnostic ideals when I'm quoting Paul is dishonest and offensive.

martinlawrencescott

Servant Prince
Apr 6, 2011
Ventura, California
Hey, I wasn't even the one disagreeing with you here. I don't think I even noticed who it was. I'm not even sure what you're disagreeing about with whomever you began disagreeing with in the first place. Just saying.

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
Hello XP and mls,

This answer may seem a little long, but it seemed easier to share my comments with both of you.

XP, when you said,

That's true but incomplete. Gentiles were never under the law. Christ has a church established under the order of MELCHIZEDEK. There was no law, no jew, no gentile in that Church. In Him there is no Jew or Gentile.

I know that the Gentiles were never under the law. I mentioned the law because mls did... Please read the whole paragraph properly in the light of

My point was that Christ's words exceeded our expectation and reach. His death on the cross covered a sin that no other sacrifice needs to atone for. That is the sin of ignorance. The sin of knowledge requires a choice in order to receive His forgiveness for wrongs we know we committed. For the most part we're covered until the point we've heard the gospel. That means we are held accountable to the knowledge we have received. There is still some accountability to the creation but that is individual and how much God reveals to each person about Himself. My point is there is one sin that doesn't fall into either category and that is referring to His death on the cross. A second sacrifice is needed to cover it. I don't wanna leave people hanging. I believe Christians are eligible to atone. I believe the heifer in Deuteronomy 21:1-9 refers to us, dying for the sake of those who didn't receive Christ.

I picked up on it because it is wholly unscriptural. Both of you have created separate false doctrines around the meanings of the death of Christ and the spiritual dynamics to which God was attending through it.

Here's the whole of Deu 21:1- 9

If [one] be found slain in the land which the LORD thy God gives thee to possess it, lying in the field, [and] it be not known who has slain him: 2 Then thy elders and thy judges shall come forth, and they shall measure unto the cities which [are] round about him that is slain: 3 And it shall be, [that] the city [which is] next to the slain man, even the elders of that city shall take an heifer, which has not been wrought with, [and] which has not drawn in the yoke; 4 And the elders of that city shall bring down the heifer to a rough valley, which is neither eared nor sown, and shall strike off the heifer's neck there in the valley: 5 And the priests the sons of Levi shall come near; for them the LORD thy God hath chosen to minister unto him, and to bless in the name of the LORD; and by their word shall every controversy and every stroke be [tried]: {word: Heb. mouth} 6 And all the elders of that city, [that are] next unto the slain [man], shall wash their hands over the heifer that is beheaded in the valley: 7 And they shall answer and say, Our hands have not shed this blood, neither have our eyes seen [it]. 8 Be merciful, O LORD, unto thy people Israel, whom thou hast redeemed, and lay not innocent blood to thy people of Israel's charge. And the blood shall be forgiven them. {unto thy people of: Heb. in the midst, etc} 9 So shalt thou put away the [guilt of] innocent blood from among you, when thou shalt do [that which is] right in the sight of the LORD.

In answer to the claim you're making, mls, I offer that Jesus Christ died just before the Day of Atonement that year, fulfilling everything which the Day of Atonement was intended to fulfil and more. It was an entirely intentional sacrifice by the Father of His Son who willingly laid down His life for us because He loved us of His own free will, John 10:17, 18 just as the Father loves us. John 3:16, 17.

Regarding atonement for sins of ignorance, see Numbers 15:22 - 31. Christ fulfilled this part of the law, too.

Christ didn't have to die for God to forgive our sins.

But I used the rainbow to help express how His death (which is what I meant by 'cross) didn't have some power over God, but merely was the fulfillment of a promise. The death was the SIGN of the event. Not the event. The event was merely God is going to forgive you. WHICH HE WOULD HAVE DONE ANYWAY but by the death on the cross we have a reason we can relate to to actually believe he will.

XP, your minisation of the events on the cross, the reasons for them and their import, is alarming! No, God would not have forgiven sins 'anyway'. Forgiveness of sins is not 'mere'. Christ's death on the cross was essential. All the forgiveness God had meted out in the OT depended entirely upon it.

Paul talks about our conscience being clean in a few places. We need a clear conscience to come home or we fear judgement and punishment. Reference ADAM. God stood in the presence of sin, he went and fixed Adam's sin. ADAM FLED GOD, not God fled Adam.

We are like Adam, we hide from our sins> God has called us home, and has given us a big symbol to help us feel comfortable that we can safely come home.

Dear brother, the judgment and punishment was poured out on Jesus Christ. THAT is why we do not fear. THAT is why we rejoice to come in faith and repentance to Him, for forgiveness of our sins (yes, but also), the washing in His blood of our souls (a new heart), the regeneration of the Holy Spirit (a new spirit) and power (grace) to be different - showing ourselves to be new creations - sons of God John 1:12, 13; Romans 8:14, 15, 16 able to walk worthy of the vocation wherewith we have been called, as children of light, walking in His light 1 John 1:7 and agape Eph 5:2.

If the blood FORCED GOD TO FORGIVE as many express it, that the blood has some supernatural ability to make God or that God couldn't do it without the blood, then the blood is more powerful than God and thus God isn't supernatural.

Brother, God REQUIRED the blood in order to permit Himself to forgive.

The blood of Christ has spiritual qualities: it is eternal, (therefore) it is always available, and

Genesis 9:4; Leviticus 17:14 For [it is] the life of all flesh; the blood of it [is] for the life thereof: therefore I said to the children of Israel, Ye shall eat the blood of no manner of flesh: for the life of all flesh [is] the blood thereof: whosoever eats it shall be cut off. So what change was about to happen when Jesus said: John 6:54?

Bearing in mind that God would cut off anyone eating blood, being sinners, we see that in our coming to Christ through His death and resurrection, we are freed from the power of sin, washed in His word (our bodies washed with pure water - symbolised by baptism), and instructed to partake of His flesh and His blood in remembrance of His death. If you were a new Jewish Christian you were not allowed to eat the fellowship meal (Passover) until you'd been baptised.

Paul's exhoration to the Ephesian church leaders, puts an overall perspective on the importance of the blood from God's point of view. It is HIS. Acts 20:28:Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost has made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he has purchased with his own blood.

The last seven words of Paul's statement is the basic definiton of Biblical redemption.

God could forgive without the blood.

I hope you are beginning to see how incorrect your hitherto apprehension has been.

The Day of Atonement settled any outstanding debts to God.

Leviticus 16:20 And when he hath made an end of reconciling the holy [place], and the tabernacle of the congregation, and the altar, he shall bring the live goat: 21 And Aaron shall lay both his hands upon the head of the live goat, and confess over him all the iniquities of the children of Israel, and all their transgressions in all their sins, putting them upon the head of the goat, and shall send [him] away by the hand of a fit man into the wilderness:

Jesus Christ was a 'fit man' when He was put on the cross for all our sins.

Ephesians 1:7
In whom we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace.

Beware of the pleasant view of the Fatherhood of God – God is so kind and loving that of course He will forgive us. That sentiment has no place whatever in the New Testament. The only ground on which God can forgive us is the tremendous tragedy of the Cross of Christ; to put forgiveness on any other ground is unconscious blasphemy. The only ground on which God can forgive sin and reinstate us in His favour is through the Cross of Christ, and in no other way. Forgiveness, which is so easy for us to accept, cost the agony of Calvary. It is possible to take the forgiveness of sin, the gift of the Holy Ghost, and our sanctification with the simplicity of faith, and to forget at what enormous cost to God it was all made ours.

Forgiveness is the divine miracle of grace; it cost God the Cross of Jesus Christ before He could forgive sin and remain a holy God. Never accept a view of the Fatherhood of God if it blots out the Atonement. The revelation of God is that He cannot forgive; He would contradict His nature if He did. The only way we can be forgiven is by being brought back to God by the Atonement. God’s forgiveness is only natural in the supernatural domain.

Compared with the miracle of the forgiveness of sin, the experience of sanctification is slight. Sanctification is simply the marvellous expression of the forgiveness of sins in a human life, but the thing that awakens the deepest well of gratitude in a human being is that God has forgiven sin. Paul never got away from this. When once you realize all that it cost God to forgive you, you will be held as in a vice, constrained by the love of God.

~~ Oswald Chambers ~~ My Utmost for His Highest ~~ 20th November ~~

Finally, mls, there is no NT scripture to support your reversion to 'the law' for atonement by Christians. That kind of idea is
promoted by the Catholic Church and other religious cults, which show their participants and teachers to not recognise the sacrifice of Jesus Christ is sufficient to take away the sin of the whole world. John 1:29, 1 John 2:2.

It is now up to world community members to come to Him individually, to be freed from their sin(s).

Xian Pugilist

Aug 4, 2012
Hello XP and mls,

This answer may seem a little long, but it seemed easier to share my comments with both of you.

XP, when you said,

I know that the Gentiles were never under the law. I mentioned the law because mls did... Please read the whole paragraph properly in the light of

Err it was more an aside, a factoid.

I picked up on it because it is wholly unscriptural. Both of you have created separate false doctrines around the meanings of the death of Christ and the spiritual dynamics to which God was attending through it.

In gentlemanly circles we prove such a comment before we make it. But Texas has a unique culture and I probably shouldn't hold the world to our standards.

In answer to the claim you're making, mls, I offer that Jesus Christ died just before the Day of Atonement that year, fulfilling everything which the Day of Atonement was intended to fulfil and more. It was an entirely intentional sacrifice by the Father of His Son who willingly laid down His life for us because He loved us of His own free will, John 10:17, 18 just as the Father loves us. John 3:16, 17.

So you find God incapable of forgiving sins on His own. That blood somehow holds power over Him and forces His hand. Interesting. I wonder who wins that fight, your God or Zeus? Since neither is omnipotent it could be a good show. Let's make an octagon.

XP, your minisation of the events on the cross, the reasons for them and their import, is alarming! No, God would not have forgiven sins 'anyway'.

Was He uncaring? Or incapable?
Forgiveness of sins is not 'mere'. Christ's death on the cross was essential. All the forgiveness God had meted out in the OT depended entirely upon it.

Why do you say that? YOu think God was incapable of forgiving sins without the Cross? Then God Himself is a liar. That isn't very refreshing.

Dear brother, the judgment and punishment was poured out on Jesus Christ. THAT is why we do not fear. THAT is why we rejoice to come in faith and repentance to Him, for forgiveness of our sins (yes, but also), the washing in His blood of our souls (a new heart), the regeneration of the Holy Spirit (a new spirit) and power (grace) to be different - showing ourselves to be new creations - sons of God John 1:12, 13; Romans 8:14, 15, 16 able to walk worthy of the vocation wherewith we have been called, as children of light, walking in His light 1 John 1:7 and agape Eph 5:2.

The cross is pointless, meaningless, and a sham without God's promise that after that event He'd forgive the sins of man. IT's God's promise that is relevant. Stop idolizing the cross, the blood and the Christ, and remember it's GOD who promised the forgiveness. Had he not promised it would be so much iron laced red liquid spilled.

Brother, God REQUIRED the blood in order to permit Himself to forgive.

Don't patronize me please. Your own words prove my point. God required, meaning it's HIS proclamation that gave the blood any power at all. HIS promise, not THE blood.

The blood of Christ has spiritual qualities: it is eternal, (therefore) it is always available, and

So, the blood of Christ has power over GOD himself. Incredible. I believe in an omnipotent God. You don't.

I don't think you have ANY right to say I'm creating doctrine or whatever that was up there when you remove God's omnipotency to make your arguments.

I hope you are beginning to see how incorrect your hitherto apprehension has been.

What I see is a person who reacts when anything is said that they haven't heard before. What I see is a person that will kill doctrine to say that I create a new doctrine. :| What I see is a person who can only parrot things, not reason them out.

Finally, mls, there is no NT scripture to support your reversion to 'the law' for atonement by Christians. That kind of idea is
promoted by the Catholic Church and other religious cults, which show their participants and teachers to not recognise the sacrifice of Jesus Christ is sufficient to take away the sin of the whole world. John 1:29, 1 John 2:2.

That is an untrue comment in reference to Catholic Church teaching. When I ran a board you'd be banned immediately for that. There is no place to repeating myths and making up facts to accuse a whole group. That's bigotry by definition. It has no place in a discussion forum.

It is now up to world community members to come to Him individually, to be freed from their sin(s).

I hope you lemmings choose a cliff I can't see to run off into the Ocean from. I'll cry if I see it.

martinlawrencescott

Servant Prince
Apr 6, 2011
Ventura, California
Actually Xian, I guess I was disagreeing with you up there at some point, I just didn't notice that at the time I wrote that statement. I think you were arguing with Veteran at the time, anyway...

to Dragonfly-

The sin regarding the death of Christ has to fall under one of the two sacrifices concerning sin. It cannot, legally, fall under both. So according to the fact that Jesus was a Jew in accordance to Old Testament law, he couldn't die for his own death. That's about as scriptural as it gets. No where in the verses you quoted did I read Christ died for every sin ever committed. I see he died completely for everyone, for the sins he was meant to die for, and for the whole world. I can't get any more specific than that.

If Christ did die for His own death, he would have broken the law, making him guilty and he would have to die again. If I could show a drawing it would be something like this.

Sin that killed Jesus -> Jesus' death on the cross_________
.......................................Sin of ignorance and sin of knowledge

That shows the sacrifice Jesus made, and you would think it's that simple and that no other sin could fall outside those 2 categories. Except the one that points to Jesus' death on the cross.

So what I'm saying is we need to eat an atonement sandwich (bare with me) for sin to be truly covered.

It would look like...

Jesus' sacrifice____________________
Sin of ignorance and sin of knowledge
Christians atone for sin like Jesus did
Sin that killed Jesus -> Jesus' sacrifice
Sin of ignorance and sin of knowledge

So our sacrifice would fall under his. It doesn't really take away from what Jesus did, but explains it and glorifies it in a way most people haven't thought of before. That's a less specific and more rational way of looking at it. If you're trying to look at things from my point of view, I hope this helps. Also, I'm not aware of cults that believe in this.

Go ahead and make your own chart of how you think atonement should look. In the end, everything should be covered.

Xian Pugilist

Aug 4, 2012
Hey, I wasn't even the one disagreeing with you here. I don't think I even noticed who it was. I'm not even sure what you're disagreeing about with whomever you began disagreeing with in the first place. Just saying.

You are fine.

You can and do disagree just fine.

If you took off and called me an idiot, liar, moron, and more, you have proven to have reasoned thoughts behind your comments, so I'd have to stop and consider, "maybe I missed something, is he right?"

Of course then I'd realize how preposterous and come back with even MORE fun names to rib you back. But, it's my competitive nature.

martinlawrencescott

Servant Prince
Apr 6, 2011
Ventura, California
Wow, I've never felt the liberty to make a personal attack on the forums. However, everything might be permissible, but not everything is beneficial... so... I won't. (I didn't have an attack anyway, wait, here's my attack.) -> :angry: ... that doesn't even feel right. :wacko:

Xian Pugilist

Aug 4, 2012
Wow, I've never felt the liberty to make a personal attack on the forums. However, everything might be permissible, but not everything is beneficial... so... I won't. (I didn't have an attack anyway, wait, here's my attack.) -> :angry: ... that doesn't even feel right. :wacko:

Heheeh tell me, if your friend is being stupid and it's going to kill him, is telling him he is stupid to make him face it, worse than avoiding the word and him not "getting it" and dying?

Words have meaning. The only time names are bad are if they are pejorative only, or an ad homminem. To be ad homminem they are used to AVOID the arguments. If you call a person who repeatedly tells lies a liar there is no offense in logic, nor the faith to that. In fact if you don't note it publicly you violate all sorts of verses AND do a disservice to the people reading them that may not have noticed the offense and thus the lack of character.

If I"m being stupid, you probably have to tell me I'm being stupid for me to realize it. I'd prefer it clear and to the point.

If like Strat does, you call me names, OR EVEN IF YOU DO NOT USE NAMES, but you describe me as something I'm not, and use that to divert from having to answer the arguments, then you are errant.

Some places are so touchy on "name calling" that if you called a catholic a catholic it violates their terms. It's Colossians 2 all over. Just plain silliness at a point.

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
Hi mls,

I don't understand why you think Jesus died 'for His own death'.

The only people that have a death sentence hanging over them, are those who sin.

1 Peter 2:22 [Jesus] did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth: 23 Who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed [himself] to him that judges righteously: 24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live to righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

25 For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned to the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls.

In Acts 2:24, Peter points out that 'it was not possible that death should hold Him'.

Whom God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it.

It was not possible, because Jesus Christ had never committed any sins.

Because Jesus Christ had never committed any sins, He had no reason to die except His loving choice to die for us.

Here are more verses about His sinlessness:

Hebrews 7:26 For such an high priest became us, [who is] holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners, and made higher than the heavens; [See Philippians 2:9, 10, 11]

27 Who needs not daily, as those high priests, to offer up sacrifice, first for his own sins, and then for the people's: for this he did once, when he offered up himself.

14 For [it is] evident that our Lord sprang out of Juda; of which tribe Moses spake nothing concerning priesthood. 15 And it is yet far more evident: for that after the similitude of Melchisedec there arises another priest, 16 Who is made, not after the law of a carnal commandment, but after the power of an endless life. 17 For he testifies, Thou [art] a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.

(Psalm 110)

25 Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come to God by him, seeing he ever lives to make intercession for them.

1 John 2:1 My little children, these things write I to you, that ye sin not.

And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

2 Corinthians 5:21 For he hath made him [to be] sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

martinlawrencescott

Servant Prince
Apr 6, 2011
Ventura, California
Xian- "Heheeh tell me, if your friend is being stupid and it's going to kill him, is telling him he is stupid to make him face it, worse than avoiding the word and him not "getting it" and dying?"

That's a good point, but what if your friend is imagining himself about to die a horrible death, and says, "There's a stampede of horses about to run me over!" When there is none? I'm not making a huge point, but that's an interesting analogy, eh?

To Dragonfly- mostly because Jesus became sin, so he would, by default, be held accountable to his own death, because sin put him on the cross, and sin had to die. So He would be guilty by association, even when no sin can be found in Him, just as he was held guilty for our sin on the cross, when He was actually innocent.

Jesus dies for all sin, if/when we atone for the sin of his death, or refer to the, dum dum dum, atonement sandwich. Don't use the word sandwich if that hurts the point. I guess I'm saying that to myself, so, um, an atonement pyramid? And Christ covers both ends.

-Last edit...?-

Atonement tabernacle! That sounds the coolest.

Axehead

May 9, 2012
Sin did not put Him on the Cross. God sent His Son and Jesus became obedient unto death. His will agreed with His Father's will ("not my will but thine be done")

John 10:17 Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again.
John 10:18 No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.

John 10:17 Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again.

Tit 2:14 Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Axehead

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
Hi mls,

To Dragonfly- mostly because Jesus became sin, so he would, by default, be held accountable to his own death, because sin put him on the cross, and sin had to die. So He would be guilty by association, even when no sin can be found in Him, just as he was held guilty for our sin on the cross, when He was actually innocent.

Jesus dies for all sin, if/when we atone for the sin of his death, or refer to the, dum dum dum, atonement sandwich. Don't use the word sandwich if that hurts the point. I guess I'm saying that to myself, so, um, an atonement pyramid? And Christ covers both ends.

-Last edit...?-

Atonement tabernacle! That sounds the coolest.

Jesus did not become guilty of sin in the way you suggest. He remained the spotless Lamb of God, throughout.

If bearing our sin would have damaged His spotlessness, He would have ceased to be a satisfactory substitutionary sacrifice. That's the picture in scripture - that perfect animals shed their blood and died - to atone for sins. But from the writer to the Hebrews we learn this:

Hebrews 10:4 For [it is] not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins.

So we see that the spotlessness of the animals was not tainted by the sins for which their lives (blood) atoned, either.

Hebrews 10:5 Wherefore when he comes into the world, he says, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me: 6 In burnt offerings and [sacrifices] for sin thou hast had no pleasure. 7 Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God.

There were other things going on, on the cross, which we see in Psalm 22, before He cried 'It is finished'. Hebrews 2 tells us:

9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.

The Hebrew use of the word 'taste' actually means He drank it all. (He died immediately after he'd taken the vinegar from the sponge.)

14 Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil; 15 And deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage. 16 For verily he took not on [him the nature of] angels; but he took on [him] the seed of Abraham.

2 Timothy 1:'... the gospel according to the power of God; 9 Who hath saved us, and called [us] with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began, 10 But is now made manifest by the appearing of our Saviour Jesus Christ, who hath abolished death, and hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel.

Another verse which verifies the pureness of Christ despite death, is

Romans 1:3 Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh; 4 And declared [to be] the Son of God with power, according to the spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead.

If Jesus had been 'guilty by association' with sin, then He could not have been resurrected from the dead. This is what I was explaining in an earlier post from Peter's sermon in Acts 2:24. And Paul uses a prophecy in Psalm 2, to make the same point in Acts 13:33 God hath fulfilled the same to us their children, in that he has raised up Jesus again; as it is also written in the second psalm, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee.

So... it seems that the way you reasoned out your concerns about the death of Jesus Christ, is not shared by God Himself. I would say this means you should simply believe the scripture, and study the way atonement worked in the OT a bit more.

There is another point I'd like to mention in passing, which is that in the NT there is not one reference to the blood of Jesus Christ 'covering' our sins. On the cross He both broke the power of sin (Romans 6:6) and as our Redeemer, He shed blood to purchase us back from sin's grip.

In sacrificing Himself for our sins, our debt for sins was fully met, and this is the basis of our peace with God - that God's divine justice had been satisfied when He poured out His wrath for sin, upon His only beloved Son. 1 Tim 2:5,

2 Corinthians 5:'... God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, not imputing their trespasses to them; and has committed to us the word of reconciliation. 20 Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech [you] by us: we pray [you] in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God. 21 For he hath made him [to be] sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:
25 Whom God has set forth [to be] a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness
for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;
26 To declare, [I say], at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believes in Jesus.

Jesus retained His righteousness all the way through His time on the cross. He died a righteous man, having never sinned.

Xian Pugilist

Aug 4, 2012
I think I figured out the quote thing. If I edit and cut it in half, and repost it, she publishes without the error, but isn't pretty because it adds it on top of the other......

This is a separate post immediately after the last.... bet it posts in the one I just posted....

Yup it did. For the record u guys are on a tangent of a tangent.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
You aren't listening. Will you sit down, shut up, let your mind stop and read what I'm typing... I didn't say it. PAUL SAID IT. I showed you the verse.

IF THAT IS GNOSTIC THEN PAUL TAUGHT GNOSTIC THEOLOGY.

If you are going to keep sticking your head in the sand and ignoring what is said, I will ignore you as not worth discussing with.

I wonder if you should go get your omellette from a different diner in the morning. One that would use the right mushrooms and not the hand picked ones.

We have no need to discuss anything. You have been shown the error, you ignore it, won't refute it. You just sit there and scream "you are wrong" like a child throwing a temper tantrum, hands and feet on the ground "MINE MINE MINE MINE MINE".

Until you can discuss the points...... be silent.

[sup]12 [/sup]for the equipping of the [sup][d][/sup]saints for the work of service, to the building up of the body of Christ;
[sup]13 [/sup]until we all attain to the unity of the faith, and of the [sup][e][/sup]knowledge of the Son of God,

to a mature man, (This word is translated as PERFECT in many/most translations)
((How perfect?))

to the measure
{the cup is filled the same for us as it is for him.}

of the stature
[sup]{our cup is the same size as his}[/sup]

[sup][f][/sup]which belongs to the fullness of Christ.

{NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH BEING LIKE CHRIST< BUT BEING AS SPIRITUALLY PERFECT?MATURE AS HE WAS ON EARTH.}

It's PAUL'S WORDS NOT MINE.

So, you DO NOT believe that Jesus of Nazareth is God The Saviour?

Since you think you can become your 'own' Christ, being as perfect as Christ like you said in vain, it's understandable why you would have hard time admitting that Jesus of Nazareth is part of The Godhead, God The Saviour.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Lets make this plain and simple. so even a child could understand. If you wore a white suit and jumped into a vat of red paint, it wil become red, if you jumped into blue paint it will become blue, it can do nothing else, and so it is with Jesus, if you go to a protestant church, you will become a protestant, if you go to a Jehovas Witness church you will become a Jw, if you go to any church you will become just like that church, it is just the way it is,

Gen 1:25 And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle their kind, and everything that creepeth upon the earh after his kind: and God saw that it was good. Cattle cannot produce sheep. a fish cannot produce a bird, a rock cannot turn into an animal ( evolution),

and so to become like Jesus we must spend time with Him, there is no othere possible way to become like Him, then to let Him change you, no one else, no church no man can do it , only Jesus.

In all His Love

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
TEXT without CONTEXT is a PRETEXT.
The BIBLE without the CHURCH is just an EXCUSE.