Christ only died for past sins...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did Christ's sacrifice only count for past sins?

• Only past sins are forgiven. We must maintain our salvation by not sinning.

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Christ's sacrifice was all sufficient for all of the believers sins.

Votes: 17 89.5%

• Total voters

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let's say, hypothetically, that Jesus' crucifixion only covers people's sins up
to the point where they come to faith in Christ.

It wouldn't matter because at that point their lives on earth terminated.
Pretty solid point!

Reactions: Taken and marks

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You sin everyday, in thought word and deed.rom7.14-25

LOL ~ Psychic on board...

Do tell...an example you can prove a though I had today that was a SIN...LOL

Do tell...an example you can prove of a deed I did today that was a SIN...LOL

Are you a Psychic and a catholic?

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
Northern British Columbia, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

------------------------------------------------------------------

The Bible says we are all sinners.
'There is none without sin.
(Except one)
No need to be a "psychic and a catholic" or being sarcastic about it Taken.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
------------------------------------------------------------------

The Bible says we are all sinners.
'There is none without sin.
(Except one)
No need to be a "psychic and a catholic" or being sarcastic about it Taken.

Ya well, when an other, I DO NOT KNOW, can dictate what applies to me, I find that Laughable.

And when one claims they KNOW MY THOUGHTS, I also find that Laughable.

I KNOW WHAT SCRIPTURE SAYS....
And KNOW WHAT IT MEANS!

The QUESTION I posed was NOT ABOUT what Scripture says.
The QUESTION I posed was precisely for them to PROVE what they claimed with THEIR OWN WORDS.

If that is not to your liking, for me to request proof of a persons outlandish accusation AGAINST ME....too bad.

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
FAQ: The Bible says that if we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to
forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness (1John 1:8
10). What happens to Christians when they die with sins left unconfessed?

A: The purpose of confession and forgiveness per that passage is fellowship;
which is quite a bit different than confession and forgiveness for the
purposes of salvation.

Now it may seem contradictory, but God isn't preparing an indictment for
the sins of Christ's followers (2Cor 5:19) and that's because their sins are no
longer criminal matters like before they came to faith in Christ-- now their
sins are family matters. (1John 3:1-2)

Were they permitted to examine the books being kept per Rev 20:11-15,
Christians would not see any entries in it pertaining to their lives on earth
because as far as God is concerned, their lives on earth terminated the day
they came to faith in Christ.

Col 3:3 . . For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. (cf.
Rom 6:3-7 and Gal 2:20)
_

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
The position that Jesus died for past sins is a biblical one.

Romans 3:25
King James Version

25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;

2 Peter 1:9
King James Version

9 But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.

I think that asking about technicalities is not the right attitude when the Bible clearly says that we should strive against sin and resist it.

But no, one unrepentant of sin does not send you to hell. A heart of unbelief does, however. And Hebrews talks about sin leading to unbelief.

I don't think one unrepentant sin does it. But a lifestyle of sin is clearly shown in the Bible to be a product of unbelief.

Why not just heed the warnings of Scripture rather than looking for reasons why we can't avoid sin?

1 John 3:8
King James Version

8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

Lets not water this down. Lets just let this sink in, stop making excuses, and resist sin like Jesus did.
Is He going to throw you into hell over a single sin? No. But a lifestyle of sin leads to unbelief. So every sin must go.

If you realize you sin, confess it, repenting to the Lord. And keep on going.

None of this, oh this shifts the focus onto us and not God business. The appropriate response to God is obedience. I can find that position in Scripture.

I challenge those who disagree to find it in Scripture.

<<<But no, one unrepentant of sin does not send you to hell……..

Is He going to throw you into hell over a single sin? No.>>>

Why do you think that? Can you kindly tell us why you say and believe that? Citing scripture references would really be great and much appreciated.

And a related question to that is, would two, three, ten, perhaps 25, 50, a hundred sins throw one to hell, but one does not?

Tong
R3904

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
I believe you may be misunderstanding the issue. The penalty for all sins was paid at Calvary. Those who believe are forgiven of all their past sins. But they must still address their present sins, since the remission of sins is based upon repentance (Acts 3:19). This does not mean that all sins were not covered at Calvary. But God expects us to deal with our present sins.
That sounds reasonable. However, may I ask, what present sins are you referring to that one should deal with? Are these present sins different from the sins one had committed in the past and repented of that were forgiven? Or are they the same sins one says he have repented of which he had been forgiven of?

Tong
R3905

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Tong2020 said:
Are these present sins different from the sins one had committed in the past and repented of that were forgiven?
Hopefully that is the case. Each person has to address this personally.
But I was referring to your statement.

“But God expects us to deal with our present sins.”

So, I was asking about the present sins you refer to there that I may understand what you are actually telling us by your statement there.

Tong
R3906

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Are you aware of the “ sins of omission?” How many strangers did you invite into your home today to feed and clothe.....people are out there suffering and you full well know it.... yet, you do nothing for them while you sit on your couch watching television or whatever else it is you do everyday.....you could have been helping out at the hospital or food line.....

Sin isn't just about what you * DO*——- it’s also about what you * DON’T * do......I am probably much worse than you are at these types of sins.....All I can do is thank God for His Grace....

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
In reference to the actual poll at the beginning of this thread, I couldn't vote because both options are unrelated.
The first option refers to forgiveness.
The second option refers to justification.
The cross enables forgiveness, but one must repent and believe in the efficacy of the atonement first. In other words, repent and believe the gospel.
The death of Christ however on the cross makes it possible for all men of all ages to avail themselves of the precious gift offered them.
Forgiveness refers only to the past. You can't ask forgiveness for something you are about to do tomorrow.
The justification that Christ accomplished for all men however was for all of time. That does not mean however that all men are forgiven for all time.

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
I would say his atonement is applied without repentance and without faith.....and I would also say, you would put me into the category of Universalist, which, as a matter of fact, I am not. The question is, can you understand that?
I’d say, Jesus’ sacrifice as spoken of in the scriptures, is a matter between Him and the Father, and not really between Him and man. So that, everything that were meant to be accomplished through that sacrifice, was accomplished apart from anything else, as the Father was well pleased with and by it, and had accepted it.

What were accomplished is the next beautiful thing we can talk about. For from the time that Jesus Christ had risen from the dead, what had been accomplished by Jesus through that, unfolds and is unfolding.

Tong
R3907

Reactions: marks

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you aware of the “ sins of omission?” How many strangers did you invite into your home today to feed and clothe.....

You ask me a question.

people are out there suffering and you full well know it....

You TELL me what I know.

yet, you do nothing for them while you sit on your couch watching television or whatever else it is you do everyday.....you could have been helping out at the hospital or food line.....

You DICTATE your ANSWER for me.

Sin isn't just about what you * DO*——- it’s also about what you * DON’T * do......I am probably much worse than you are at these types of sins.....All I can do is thank God for His Grace....

You give a completely make up scenario.
And I am somehow required to make a defense for myself?

Get real.
Sin of omission isn't hunting down strangers and deciding they are hungry or deciding their clothing is insufficient.

Sin of omission isn't you making up a False scenario and Dictating what you determine is "good" for me to do.

Sin of omission IS; noticing a person, an animal in need of assistance and FAILING to offer assistance or render aid.

You neither KNOW me nor KNOW what I do, nor are my Judge.

OUT of line, as was Iconoclast who also made up a False scenario.

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You ask me a question.

You TELL me what I know.

You DICTATE your ANSWER for me.

You give a completely make up scenario.
And I am somehow required to make a defense for myself?

Get real.
Sin of omission isn't hunting down strangers and deciding they are hungry or deciding their clothing is insufficient.

Sin of omission isn't you making up a False scenario and Dictating what you determine is "good" for me to do.

Sin of omission IS; noticing a person, an animal in need of assistance and FAILING to offer assistance or render aid.

You neither KNOW me nor KNOW what I do, nor are my Judge.

OUT of line, as was Iconoclast who also made up a False scenario.

All of this “made up stuff” just happens to be true though.....doesn't it? I am speaking in generalities about the short- comings of ALL of us....I am doing it to make a point.....you are smart enough to know what I am doing.....I am smart enough to know what YOU are doing....
Creating a diversion when you know I speak the truth....nice try.....

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I’d say, Jesus’ sacrifice as spoken of in the scriptures, is a matter between Him and the Father, and not really between Him and man. So that, everything that were meant to be accomplished through that sacrifice, was accomplished apart from anything else, as the Father was well pleased with and by it, and had accepted it.

What were accomplished is the next beautiful thing we can talk about. For from the time that Jesus Christ had risen from the dead, what had been accomplished by Jesus through that, unfolds and is unfolding.

Tong
R3907
I think the beautiful thing is we have life given us yet seeing God is not into coercion, forcing it doesn't apply. That puts paid to frying forever in hell for those who reject it. If what God is offering doesn't appeal then you are left to your choices which as promised is death.......and for those who are grateful in their helpless situation, faith is the means of grasping it.

Reactions: Brakelite

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christ only died for past sins...
OP ^

IN CONTEXT;
* The WORD OF GOD, was MURDERED Before mankind was created.
(John 8: 44)

* The MURDERER?
Lucifer.
(Isa; 14;12)

* The CONSEQUENCE?
Banishment from FROM his Estate, (Heaven)
Banishment TO Earth.
(Isa: 14:12

Change of NAME. (Satan, Devil)
Change of DESCRIPTION.
~ FROM holy (spirit) servant serving good
~ TO unholy (spirit) servant serving evil
~ great dragon, old serpent, Satan, Devil
(Rev 12:9)

* New Testament (Better Testament)
(Heb 7:22)
* A new, Covenant.
(Heb 8:6)
* The New Covenant, expressly OFFERED Israel
(Heb 8:10)
* The New Covenant, Everlasting
(Heb 13:20)
* Appointed MEDIATOR of The NEW Covenant;
JESUS; (Heb 12:24)
* Gentiles, expressly OFFERED INCLUSION in the
New Covenant.
(Acts 15:14 - Acts 1:47 - Acts 14:27)

* OT Laws applied exclusively TO Israel
* OT Covenant applied exclusively TO Israel
* Israel - has OPTION
...Remain under OT Law and Way to receive Salvation (at physical bodily Death)
...Accept NEW Covenant and Way to receive
Salvation (Before physical bodily Death)...
BY and Through MEDIATOR Jesus the Christ.

***THE CHURCH -
Established by JESUS, the JEW.
Established FOR Jews & Israel.
JESUS established:
~ Chief cornerstone of Church foundation
~ Head Authority of His Church.
Later Offered Inclusion TO Gentiles.

***DIVISION:
~ Jew & Israel..."with and without Jesus"
~ Gentiles..."with and without Jesus".

***Further DIVISION:
~ BAPTISM of the HOLY SPIRIT...ie;
~ Jew & Israel..."with AND IN Christ".
~ Gentiles..."with AND IN Christ".

***CONSEQUENCE of "FURTHER DIVISION"
(Baptism of the Holy Spirit)

~ FORGIVENESS OF "ALL SIN" Against God.
~ Receiving the Holy Spirit INTERNALLY.
~
INABILITY:
TO EVER AGAIN SIN.

1 John 3:
[9] Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

LIARS, FALSE ACCUSERS:

Liars, False Accusers...
* Claim they ARE born again..."AND" CONTINUE to "commit" SIN.
* Repeatedly Falsely Claim "OTHERS" who are born again..."Continue to commit Sin".
* Repeatedly Falsely Claim "OTHERS" have "committed" SIN Against "THEM".
* Demand "their ACCUSED" ASK THEM for FORGIVENESS "of their accused SIN".
* DUCK (offer Scripture that DOES NOT APPLY to A Born Again person)

* HIDE (never Offer ONE Applicable Scripture of a Born Again person committing a SIN.)

There ARE the Divided...
* SINNERS...who DO COMMIT SIN.
* FORGIVEN SINNERS...who DO NOT COMMIT SIN.

Liars, False Accusers...
Are people who claim to BE Forgiven, claim to BE born again. AND claim they and other born again persons, COMMIT SIN.

"IF" a man HAS accepted Christ Jesus' Offering of Forgiveness and Salvation and Quickening ....
THAT MAN CAN NOT COMMIT SIN EVER AGAIN!
And BTW...men IN CHRIST, are NOT UNDER the LAW and DO NOT FORGIVE SIN!!
FORGIVENESS OF SIN, IS Forgiven BY God, through Chirst, ONCE and Forever.

Glory to God,

Taken

Last edited:

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All of this “made up stuff” just happens to be true though.....doesn't it? I am speaking in generalities about the short- comings of ALL of us....I am doing it to make a point.....you are smart enough to know what I am doing.....I am smart enough to know what YOU are doing....
Creating a diversion when you know I speak the truth....nice try.....

You were NOT speaking in generalities.
You spoke making a Specific False Claim Against me.
Further your claim, even IF was a true scenario, IS not Scriptural.

Nothing says it is a "good" works to go seeking out strangers and that I should "decide" what they "need".

Read the Scriptures~
~ should strangers ask you for assistance...help them
~ leave some of your field void of being reap a second time so that strangers passing by may take your left overs from your fields
~ offer assistance should you OBSERVE a person or animal in distress.

Today are fewer farmers, yet people set their left overs, food, junk, things they no longer need or want to the roadside edge of their property for any strange to freely take.

Today you can Observe an auto with persons stranded, an auto accident, a person drowning, a person having falling off a ladder, a person having fallen down, a person being purse snatched, a person looking for their auto in a parking lot, a person struggling to put store purchases in their vehicle, a person struggling to reach an item on a shelf in a store, a person searching for their child or pet, a begger standing on a corner asking for handouts of money or food, a person trying to hitch a ride, a kid having fallen off his bicycle, smoke and fire in a building....

* YOU HAVE ZERO knowledge of what I personally do or do not do in the public domain.
* YOU HAVE ZERO knowledge of what I personally do or do not do in my private domain.

I am fully aware of what Scripture describes "as GOOD WORKS"...and fully aware "GOOD WORKS" a person "IN CHRIST" (already having RECEIVED SALVATION) additionally receives for his "GOOD WORKS"...(FROM GOD) which that ARE NOT "rewarded" BY MEN!

Your implication that, men must stop doing what he does at his private property and instead run about seeking strangers to give them food and clothing is ricidulous.

The Scriptures teach when you Observe a stranger in distress OFFER assistance.

The Scriptures teach, when you Encounter a stranger SHARE the WORD of God with them.

The Scriptures teach, God is ALL knowing, not men.

The Scriptures teach, the Lord is the Judge, not men.

You want to expressly ACCUSE ME...do it on FACTS, not made up scenarios.