Christ preaching to spirits in days of Noah.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

joshhuntnm

Jul 1, 2012
Someone asked me to do a message on this passage. I haven't found anything in the commentaries that really makes a lot of sense. Any ideas?

1 Peter 3:18-22 (NIV)
[sup]18 [/sup] For Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive by the Spirit, [sup]19 [/sup] through whom also he went and preached to the spirits in prison [sup]20 [/sup] who disobeyed long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built. In it only a few people, eight in all, were saved through water, [sup]21 [/sup] and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also--not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a good conscience toward God. It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ, [sup]22 [/sup] who has gone into heaven and is at God's right hand--with angels, authorities and powers in submission to him.

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
I just read Matthew Henry's

I was struck by the outline of judgement, warned by those before the flood from Enoch to Noah then this whole world came under judgement.
Then it struck to me, I was just referencing a verse about the judgement of this world. And the whole concept took on a new meaning.
It's not simply a likeness unto baptism but unto judgement as well. At the time of Noah the world was judged, but it came under judgment again John 12:31 Will the world hear, from the Son, of the flood to come? Enoch If you will, has been taken up.

John 12:27-33
[sup]27 [/sup]“Now My soul is troubled, and what shall I say? ‘Father, save Me from this hour’? But for this purpose I came to this hour. [sup]28 [/sup]Father, glorify Your name.”
Then a voice came from heaven, saying, “I have both glorified it and will glorify it again.”
[sup]29 [/sup]Therefore the people who stood by and heard it said that it had thundered. Others said, “An angel has spoken to Him.”
[sup]30 [/sup]Jesus answered and said, “This voice did not come because of Me, but for your sake. [sup]31 [/sup]Now is the judgment of this world; now the ruler of this world will be cast out. [sup]32 [/sup]And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all peoples to Myself.” [sup]33 [/sup]This He said, signifying by what death He would die.

Just my thoughts but you did ask.
1 Corinthians 15:20
Psalm 68:18
Ephesians 4:7-9
Proverbs 30:4

I wanted to add that I believe Revelation 12:7-10 depict the judgement of the ruler of this world: John 12:31 at the time of the Lords ascension to heaven. There's a lot to speak to besides baptism. From this foundation its pretty easy to speak about " through whom also he went and preached to the spirits in prison" Both heaven and earth changed at the cross. But I believe the first thing He did was bar Satan the accuser from coming before the throne as he was doing in the book of Job.

I would close with a word from Hebrews 6:6
6 Therefore, leaving the discussion of the elementary principles of Christ, let us go on to perfection, not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God, [sup]2 [/sup]of the doctrine of baptisms, of laying on of hands, of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment. [sup]3 [/sup]And this we will[sup][a][/sup] do if God permits.

A small piece from Matthew Henery

He went, not by a local motion, but by special operation, as God is frequently said to move, Gen. 11:5 ; Hos. 5:15 ; Mic. 1:3 . He went and preached, by his Spirit striving with them, and inspiring and enabling Enoch and Noah to plead with them, and preach righteousness to them,as 2 Pt. 2:5 . (2.) The hearers. Because they were dead and disembodied when the apostle speaks of them, therefore he properly calls them spirits now in prison; not that they were in prison when Christ preached to them, as the vulgar Latin translation and the popish expositors pretend.

Adstar

Sep 17, 2009
Someone asked me to do a message on this passage. I haven't found anything in the commentaries that really makes a lot of sense. Any ideas?

[sup]18 [/sup] For Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive by the Spirit, [sup]19 [/sup] through whom also he went and preached to the spirits in prison [sup]20 [/sup] who disobeyed long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built. In it only a few people, eight in all, were saved through water, [sup]21 [/sup] and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also--not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a good conscience toward God. It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ, [sup]22 [/sup] who has gone into heaven and is at God's right hand--with angels, authorities and powers in submission to him.

When Jesus was dead for 3 Days and Nights He when in Spirit to the Spirits who where held in Hell, to preach to them the Gospel. These where the ones who died and did not have the opportunity to repent and accept the Atonement of the Messiah Jesus. The scriptures talks about those who where rebellious in the Days of Noah, these died in the flood and their Spirits where held in Hell.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Endtime

Oct 18, 2012

It was by the holy Spirit that The Lord went and preached to Noah to save him and his family. Like Christ said the flesh profits nothing It is the Spirit that creates and sustains life.

John 6
63 It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life.

In essence by the Spirit He was brought back to life from death and by the Spirit he preached to Noah. God is Spirit.

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

What may be throwing your for a loop is verse 19. Permit me to give you a (C-word) perspective.

Compare Luke 16:19-31 with Luke 23:43. In Luke 16, Jesus speaks of the poor man Lazarus being taken up to the "Bosom of Abraham." However, despite what is commonly presumed, this cannot be Heaven, since souls did not enter Heaven at this time (not even according to Jewish theology), but awaited Jesus' death, Resurrection, and Ascension for this. Until the Lord opens the gates of Heaven ("I go to prepare a place for you"), it was not possible for humanity to enter into the Presence of God. Rather, the God-man needed to do this first in order to make a place for humanity before the Throne of the Father. Rather, this "Bosom of Abraham" in Luke 16 is what Jewish oral tradition refers to as "the Paradise of the Fathers" --the Garden of Eden, which was withdrawn from the earth; the Jewish equivalent to the Greco-Roman/pagan idea of the "Ellesian Fields" --a pleasant place, but part of Sheol/Hades/Death nonetheless.

Now, ... To show that this is the case, one only need to look at Luke 23:43, where Jesus tells the Good Thief, " **This day** you will be with me **in Paradise.** " Notice, here, that Jesus does not say, " ...in Heaven." ...And this is because, as we all know, Jesus did NOT go to Heaven THAT DAY. Rather, Jesus spent 3 days in the tomb! ...Not rising until Sunday morning. ...And we know from Scripture (e.g. 1 Peter 3:19 & 4:6) that Jesus' soul spent **that day** AMONG THE DEAD in Sheol. ...And, as John 20:17 hammers home for us, EVEN ON SUNDAY MORNING, Jesus had STILL "not yet ascended to the Father." So, the "Paradise" Jesus is talking about in Luke 23 is **absolutely** not Heaven itself. Rather, He is talking about the Paradise of the Fathers, and he is promising the Good Thief (a justly-condemned Jewish criminal) that, far from being condemned to Gehenna, he will be with Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and all the righteous patriarchs (models of Judaism) in the Paradise of the Fathers. And this would have been enough for this Jew to die in peace --saved from hell, yet not fully-sanctified so as to immediately enter Heaven.

[sup]19 [/sup] through whom also he went and preached to the spirits in prison

1 Peter 3:21 clearly and explicitly states that baptism is salvific, not just symbolic, contrary to most of (P-word).

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
Very nice kepha, I won't bother bother to ask by what authority you speak. I know the shepherds voice
All but the bottom line,

I almost thought you were speaking from your own heart and spirit as I wrote the first line, then I found this is a C/P but just the same,
God Bless and thank you

Dan57

Sep 25, 2012
Illinois
Faith
Country
United States
As mentioned in the parable of Lazarus and the rich man (Luke 16:19-31), I believe the spirits in prison are the ones in Hades, on the other side of paradise. These lost souls (spirits in prison) were the disobedient from the beginning until the time of Christ, they never knew or had an opportunity to repent in the flesh. Christ preached to them offering the same opportunity as we have today, which is to accept salvation through Christ who paid the price for the remission of sin. Jesus became the Savior in the same sense that Noah's ark was salvation to those prior to the flood.

http://www.amazingfacts.org/media-library/media/e/1205/t/what-does-it-mean-in-1-peter-3-when-it-says-jesus-preached-to-the-spirits-in-prison.aspx

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
Then me also know that Paul spoke of those from Adam to Mosses. These also being those (spirits in prison) the Lord Christ preached to.

Romans 5
[sup]12 [/sup]Therefore, just as through one man sin entered the world, and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men, because all sinned— [sup]13 [/sup](For until the law sin was in the world, but sin is not imputed when there is no law. [sup]14 [/sup]Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over those who had not sinned according to the likeness of the transgression of Adam, who is a type of Him who was to come.

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This passage involves caution as to a conclusion concerning the type of preaching; salvation or judgement. I'm in favor of the latter for multiple reasons. These were "disobedient" (v 20) whoever they were (probably those alive during the flood) and the "preaching" wasn't to any OT saints because they went to Heaven, which has always also been known as Abraham's bosom and Paradise (Luke 23:43; 2 Cor 12:4; Rev 2:7).

It's also very possible that the phrase "By which also He went went" may apply in the capacity of a vicarious act for Christ; that "by the Spirit" He went, thus the Spirit went in His stead, because it doesn't actually say that Christ personally went, but that He went by the Spirit, carried over from the preceding verse 18.

This is certain, that Christ took a thief to Paradise when He died on the Cross (Luke 23:43), so when this event occurred is also interesting; which might be related to when "He also descended first into the lower parts of the earth" (Eph 4:9); but this is highly unlikely and if anyone wants me to follow this up with commentation on Eph 4:9, just mention it in this thread.

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because my reply in post #10 seems to me to have the appearance of haughtiness, I want to apologize for including "if anyone wants me to follow this up with commentation on Eph 4:9, just mention it in this thread."

God Be Blessed

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Spurgeon.orgoffers this explanation of that one line in the Apostles Creed:

* was crucified, dead, and buried; he descended into Hades.

Here the creed hammers home the point that he was really dead. He was not an illusion. He was nailed to a post. He died. He had a real body, a corpse, that was placed in a tomb. He was not merely unconscious — his spirit left his body and went to the realm of the dead. It is a common belief among Christians that on this occasion he took the souls of those who had died trusting in the promises made under the Old Covenant — Abraham, Moses, David, Elijah, Isaiah, and many others — and brought them out of the realm of the dead and into heavenly glory. But the creed is not concerned with this point. The reference to the descent into Hades (or Hell, or Sheol) is here to make it clear that the death of Jesus was not just a swoon or a coma, but death in every sense of the word.

Another source says pretty much the same thing:

"HE DESCENDED INTO HELL. ON THE THIRD DAY HE ROSE AGAIN"
631 Jesus "descended into the lower parts of the earth. He who descended is he who also ascended far above all the heavens."[sup]476[/sup] The Apostles' Creed confesses in the same article Christ's descent into hell and his Resurrection from the dead on the third day, because in his Passover it was precisely out of the depths of death that he made life spring forth:
Christ, that Morning Star, who came back from the dead, and shed his peaceful light on all mankind, your Son who lives and reigns for ever and ever. Amen.[sup]47[/sup]
632 The frequent New Testament affirmations that Jesus was "raised from the dead" presuppose that the crucified one sojourned in the realm of the dead prior to his resurrection.[sup]478[/sup] This was the first meaning given in the apostolic preaching to Christ's descent into hell: that Jesus, like all men, experienced death and in his soul joined the others in the realm of the dead. But he descended there as Savior, proclaiming the Good News to the spirits imprisoned there.[sup]479[/sup]

634 "The gospel was preached even to the dead."[sup]484[/sup] The descent into hell brings the Gospel message of salvation to complete fulfilment. This is the last phase of Jesus' messianic mission, a phase which is condensed in time but vast in its real significance: the spread of Christ's redemptive work to all men of all times and all places, for all who are saved have been made sharers in the redemption.

635 Christ went down into the depths of death so that "the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God, and those who hear will live."[sup]485[/sup] Jesus, "the Author of life", by dying destroyed "him who has the power of death, that is, the devil, and [delivered] all those who through fear of death were subject to lifelong bondage."[sup]486[/sup] Henceforth the risen Christ holds "the keys of Death and Hades", so that "at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth."[sup]487[/sup]
Today a great silence reigns on earth, a great silence and a great stillness. A great silence because the King is asleep. The earth trembled and is still because God has fallen asleep in the flesh and he has raised up all who have slept ever since the world began. . . He has gone to search for Adam, our first father, as for a lost sheep. Greatly desiring to visit those who live in darkness and in the shadow of death, he has gone to free from sorrow Adam in his bonds and Eve, captive with him - He who is both their God and the son of Eve. . . "I am your God, who for your sake have become your son. . . I order you, O sleeper, to awake. I did not create you to be a prisoner in hell. Rise from the dead, for I am the life of the dead."[sup]488[/sup]

[sup]In brief:[/sup]

636 By the expression "He descended into hell", the Apostles' Creed confesses that Jesus did really die and through his death for us conquered death and the devil "who has the power of death" (Heb 2:14).

637 In his human soul united to his divine person, the dead Christ went down to the realm of the dead. He opened heaven's gates for the just who had gone before him.

Footnotes:

476 Eph 4:9-10.
477 Roman Missal, Easter Vigil 18, Exsultet.
478 Acts 3:15; Rom 8:11; 1 Cor 15:20; cf. Heb 13:20.
479 Cf. 1 Pet 3:18-19.
480 Cf. Phil 2:10; Acts 2:24; Rev 1:18; Eph 4:9; Psalm 6:6; 88:11-13.
481 Cf. Psalm 89:49; 1 Sam 28:19; Ezek 32:17-32; Lk 16:22-26.
482 Roman Catechism I, 6, 3.
483 Cf. Council of Rome (745): DS 587; Benedict XII, Cum dudum (1341): DS 1011; Clement VI, Super quibusdam (1351): DS 1077; Council of Toledo IV (625): DS 485; Mt 27:52-53.
484 1 Pet 4:6.
485 John 5:25; cf. Mt 12:40; Rom 10:7; Eph 4:9.
486 Heb 2:14-15; cf. Acts 3:15.
487 Rev 1:18; Phil 2:10.
488 Ancient Homily for Holy Saturday: PG 43, 440A, 452C; LH, Holy Saturday, OR.

source

Alanforchrist

Dec 25, 2007
It was by the holy Spirit that The Lord went and preached to Noah to save him and his family. Like Christ said the flesh profits nothing It is the Spirit that creates and sustains life.

John 6
63 It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life.

In essence by the Spirit He was brought back to life from death and by the Spirit he preached to Noah. God is Spirit.

Jesus didn't preach the gospel to Noah, The Greek word isn't, "Euangelizo", [To preach the good news],
It's, "Kerusso", [To proclaim the victory], Jesus proclaimed the victory over the devil.

Noah wasn't in hell, He was in paradise, Abraham's bosom.

But Christ did not die spiritually. He only died, physically.

Jesus did die Spiritually and physiclly, If He wasn't dead in His Spirit, How could He be made alive in His Spirit??

What may be throwing your for a loop is verse 19. Permit me to give you a (C-word) perspective.

Compare Luke 16:19-31 with Luke 23:43. In Luke 16, Jesus speaks of the poor man Lazarus being taken up to the "Bosom of Abraham." However, despite what is commonly presumed, this cannot be Heaven, since souls did not enter Heaven at this time (not even according to Jewish theology), but awaited Jesus' death, Resurrection, and Ascension for this. Until the Lord opens the gates of Heaven ("I go to prepare a place for you"), it was not possible for humanity to enter into the Presence of God. Rather, the God-man needed to do this first in order to make a place for humanity before the Throne of the Father. Rather, this "Bosom of Abraham" in Luke 16 is what Jewish oral tradition refers to as "the Paradise of the Fathers" --the Garden of Eden, which was withdrawn from the earth; the Jewish equivalent to the Greco-Roman/pagan idea of the "Ellesian Fields" --a pleasant place, but part of Sheol/Hades/Death nonetheless.

Now, ... To show that this is the case, one only need to look at Luke 23:43, where Jesus tells the Good Thief, " **This day** you will be with me **in Paradise.** " Notice, here, that Jesus does not say, " ...in Heaven." ...And this is because, as we all know, Jesus did NOT go to Heaven THAT DAY. Rather, Jesus spent 3 days in the tomb! ...Not rising until Sunday morning. ...And we know from Scripture (e.g. 1 Peter 3:19 & 4:6) that Jesus' soul spent **that day** AMONG THE DEAD in Sheol. ...And, as John 20:17 hammers home for us, EVEN ON SUNDAY MORNING, Jesus had STILL "not yet ascended to the Father." So, the "Paradise" Jesus is talking about in Luke 23 is **absolutely** not Heaven itself. Rather, He is talking about the Paradise of the Fathers, and he is promising the Good Thief (a justly-condemned Jewish criminal) that, far from being condemned to Gehenna, he will be with Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and all the righteous patriarchs (models of Judaism) in the Paradise of the Fathers. And this would have been enough for this Jew to die in peace --saved from hell, yet not fully-sanctified so as to immediately enter Heaven.

[sup]19 [/sup]through whom also he went and preached to the spirits in prison

1 Peter 3:21 clearly and explicitly states that baptism is salvific, not just symbolic, contrary to most of (P-word).

[1]Jesus never said He was going to paradice, "Paradeisos" that day, As he went to hell, "Hades". Then after He was made alive in His Spirit He went into paradice.

[2]The Original Greek text says, Quote, " Water baptisn is the expression, not the medium, The symbol, Not the cause".

There is NO salvation through water baptism.
The Greek epmphesis for, "Saved" In Mk 16: 16, Is on the, "Believing", Not baptism.
The Greek ephesis for, "Remission", Acts 2: 38, Is on the "Repentance", Not baptism.

SO, The Bible and the original Greek texts prove that water baptism doesn't save.

1 Pet 3: 21 says baptism is onl;y a figure, A type, NOT THE THING THAT SAVES.

Water baptism is an "Outward sign of an ALREADY inward experience", In other words, You have to be saved first, Then you can be baptised in water.

Water baptism is, One's identification with the death burial and resurrection of Jesus., It is an outward sign the you belong to Jesus.

The Bible teaches that we must,
[A]Hear the gospel and believe it.
Repent and get born again.
[C]Then And then only can we be baptised in water.

As mentioned in the parable of Lazarus and the rich man (Luke 16:19-31), I believe the spirits in prison are the ones in Hades, on the other side of paradise. These lost souls (spirits in prison) were the disobedient from the beginning until the time of Christ, they never knew or had an opportunity to repent in the flesh. Christ preached to them offering the same opportunity as we have today, which is to accept salvation through Christ who paid the price for the remission of sin. Jesus became the Savior in the same sense that Noah's ark was salvation to those prior to the flood.

http://www.amazingfacts.org/media-library/media/e/1205/t/what-does-it-mean-in-1-peter-3-when-it-says-jesus-preached-to-the-spirits-in-prison.aspx

You are part right, Jesus did go to Hell,"Hades", But He didn't preach, "Euangelizo" The gospel.
He "Kerusso", Proclaimes the victory over the devil.

This passage involves caution as to a conclusion concerning the type of preaching; salvation or judgement. I'm in favor of the latter for multiple reasons. These were "disobedient" (v 20) whoever they were (probably those alive during the flood) and the "preaching" wasn't to any OT saints because they went to Heaven, which has always also been known as Abraham's bosom and Paradise (Luke 23:43; 2 Cor 12:4; Rev 2:7).

It's also very possible that the phrase "By which also He went went" may apply in the capacity of a vicarious act for Christ; that "by the Spirit" He went, thus the Spirit went in His stead, because it doesn't actually say that Christ personally went, but that He went by the Spirit, carried over from the preceding verse 18.

This is certain, that Christ took a thief to Paradise when He died on the Cross (Luke 23:43), so when this event occurred is also interesting; which might be related to when "He also descended first into the lower parts of the earth" (Eph 4:9); but this is highly unlikely and if anyone wants me to follow this up with commentation on Eph 4:9, just mention it in this thread.

[1]Jesus neither Preached the gospel or preached judgment, The Greek word is, "Kerusso", To proclaim the victory,
Jesus was in hell proclaiming His victory over the devil.

The Greek word for preaching the gospel, Is, "Euangalizo". So Jesus didn't preach the gospel in 1 Pet 3: 19--20.

[2]Jesus didn't go staight into paradise, "Paradeisos", He went to hell "Hades", Acts 2: 27--31.

Dan57

Sep 25, 2012
Illinois
Faith
Country
United States
You are part right, Jesus did go to Hell,"Hades", But He didn't preach, "Euangelizo" The gospel.
He "Kerusso", Proclaimes the victory over the devil.

But doesn't his victory over the devil entail saving grace? If the spirits in prison were lost, why would Christ proclaim his victory over sin to them unless he had a specific purpose? I suspect it involved more than bragging, I think these 'disobedient' were presented an opportunity that wasn't available until Christ paid the price for sin.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
By what Peter said in 1 Peter 3, we can be sure that Christ meant the malefactor crucified with Him would literally be in Paradise with Him that day. It was after 3 days and nights that Christ's flesh body was transfigured, not His Spirit. The idea of the quickening is related to what Apostle Paul explaned about the 'resurrection' in 1 Cor.15, i.e., about corruption putting on incorruption and this mortal putting on immortality. For those alive on earth at Christ's coming, that's to occur with a change at a twinkling of an eye to the "spiritual body" type. And what it actually is about is about the putting off of our earthly shell with our spiritual body revealed instead, the body Paul taught in 2 Cor.5 that is from God, eternal in the heavens not made with hands (i.e., not made of flesh).

1 Pet 3:18-20
18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that He might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:
19 By which also He went and preached unto the spirits in prison;
20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.
(KJV)

The subject? Bringing those who once suffered for sins to God by His death and resurrection. If that is not The Gospel then I don't know what is. That subject is then continued... into the next verse about His going to the "spirits in prison". That was actually a prophecy first written in Isaiah 42:7.

Peter does not end that subject there in the last part of 1 Peter 3; he continues it into the next chapter...

1 Pet 4:1-6
1 Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin;
2 That he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God.
3 For the time past of our life may suffice us to have wrought the will of the Gentiles, when we walked in lasciviousness, lusts, excess of wine, revellings, banquetings, and abominable idolatries:
4 Wherein they think it strange that ye run not with them to the same excess of riot, speaking evil of you:

Peter applies the fact that Christ suffered in His flesh and died so as to bring us to God to the rest of our days in the flesh upon this earth, so that we are no longer live according to the ways of our flesh, but by The Spirit by Which He also went and preached to spirits in the heavenly prison.

5 Who shall give account to Him That is ready to judge the quick and the dead.

Who can give account (or a reckoning) to Christ Who has been raised from the dead and is now prepared to judge the quick (those still alive, us) and the dead (spirits in prison idea)?

6 For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.
(KJV)

There it is. That's the same subject of the end of 1 Peter 3 about Christ going to the "spirits in prison" and preaching The Gospel to them, meaning our Lord Jesus during the 3 days and 3 nights period that His flesh body was still yet in the tomb, He went to hades and preached The Gospel to the "dead" (Greek 'nekros', literally those who had died).

Reactions: dragonfly

Alanforchrist

Dec 25, 2007
But doesn't his victory over the devil entail saving grace? If the spirits in prison were lost, why would Christ proclaim his victory over sin to them unless he had a specific purpose? I suspect it involved more than bragging, I think these 'disobedient' were presented an opportunity that wasn't available until Christ paid the price for sin.

The spirits in prison were lost, And Jesus didn't preach the victory over sin to them.
He proclaimed the victory over the devil and the demons.
REmember, Jesus had just won a great victory over the devil, Who thought he had beaten the Son af God, But Jesus came alive Spiritually and triumphed over death,

By what Peter said in 1 Peter 3, we can be sure that Christ meant the malefactor crucified with Him would literally be in Paradise with Him that day. It was after 3 days and nights that Christ's flesh body was transfigured, not His Spirit. The idea of the quickening is related to what Apostle Paul explaned about the 'resurrection' in 1 Cor.15, i.e., about corruption putting on incorruption and this mortal putting on immortality. For those alive on earth at Christ's coming, that's to occur with a change at a twinkling of an eye to the "spiritual body" type. And what it actually is about is about the putting off of our earthly shell with our spiritual body revealed instead, the body Paul taught in 2 Cor.5 that is from God, eternal in the heavens not made with hands (i.e., not made of flesh).

1 Pet 3:18-20
18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that He might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:
19 By which also He went and preached unto the spirits in prison;
20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.
(KJV)

The subject? Bringing those who once suffered for sins to God by His death and resurrection. If that is not The Gospel then I don't know what is. That subject is then continued... into the next verse about His going to the "spirits in prison". That was actually a prophecy first written in Isaiah 42:7.

Peter does not end that subject there in the last part of 1 Peter 3; he continues it into the next chapter...

1 Pet 4:1-6
1 Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin;
2 That he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God.
3 For the time past of our life may suffice us to have wrought the will of the Gentiles, when we walked in lasciviousness, lusts, excess of wine, revellings, banquetings, and abominable idolatries:
4 Wherein they think it strange that ye run not with them to the same excess of riot, speaking evil of you:

Peter applies the fact that Christ suffered in His flesh and died so as to bring us to God to the rest of our days in the flesh upon this earth, so that we are no longer live according to the ways of our flesh, but by The Spirit by Which He also went and preached to spirits in the heavenly prison.

5 Who shall give account to Him That is ready to judge the quick and the dead.

Who can give account (or a reckoning) to Christ Who has been raised from the dead and is now prepared to judge the quick (those still alive, us) and the dead (spirits in prison idea)?

6 For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.
(KJV)

There it is. That's the same subject of the end of 1 Peter 3 about Christ going to the "spirits in prison" and preaching The Gospel to them, meaning our Lord Jesus during the 3 days and 3 nights period that His flesh body was still yet in the tomb, He went to hades and preached The Gospel to the "dead" (Greek 'nekros', literally those who had died).

[1]Jesus didn't go straight to paradise, [Greek, Paradeisos], He went the hell,[Hades], Acts 2: 27--31.

[2]Jesus Spirit was made alive, [Reborn, Born again] in hell, He Preached, " Kerusso" proclaimed the victory that He had won over the devil.
Then He went into Paradise and preach, [Euangelizo] the gospel to the old testament saints.
Then He rose from the underword to collect His body.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
The spirits in prison were lost, And Jesus didn't preach the victory over sin to them.
REmember, Jesus had just won a great victory over the devil, Who thought he had beaten the Son af God, But Jesus came alive Spiritually and triumphed over death,

[1]Jesus didn't go straight to paradise, [Greek, Paradeisos], He went the hell,[Hades], Acts 2: 27--31.

[2]Jesus Spirit was made alive, [Reborn, Born again] in hell, He Preached, " Kerusso" proclaimed the victory that He had won over the devil.
Then He went into Paradise and preach, [Euangelizo] the gospel to the old testament saints.
Then He rose from the underword to collect His body.

Paradise has two sides, as Jesus showed in Luke 16. There's a great fixed gulf between the two sides, and one side is hell per Luke 16. There's a place of separation in the heavenly between the wicked profane and the just like Abraham (Abraham's bosom). Hades is used in the NT as the place of the 'dead', and it is not specific to where the abyss is (except for 2 Pet.2:4). The Isaiah 42:7 prophecy reveals it as a place of darkness with a prison, and some inside and others outside the prison house but still in darkness.

Isa 42:6-7
6 I the LORD have called thee in righteousness, and will hold thine hand, and will keep thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, for a light of the Gentiles;
7 To open the blind eyes, to bring out the prisoners from the prison, and them that sit in darkness out of the prison house.
(KJV)

Peter's Message in the first part of the 1 Peter 4 chapter shows Christ preached The Gospel to the "dead", and that Isaiah 42 prophecy reveals what the result was for at least some of the "spirits in prison". He led those who believed on Him out of that heavenly prison. This is why The Gospel had to be preached to them also, because Christ had not come yet to die on the cross in their days.

Those who would rather believe that Christ went and only proclaimed His Victory to demons as those "spirits in prison" simply desire to hold to a tradition of men they've believed that people that have died are still laying in the casket in the ground. That's an old traditional Jewish belief, and it is not Biblical.

Dan57

Sep 25, 2012
Illinois
Faith
Country
United States
6 For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.(KJV)

Thanks, that makes sense and is how I understood it. Some think the spirits in prison were fallen angels, but it doesn't make sense that he would waste time proclaiming victory to those who have already been condemned to perish. That verse in 1 Peter 4:6 seems to cement what was being addressed.

Isn't Satan the father of sin? A victory over him seems tantamount to a victory over sin. Proclaiming what had happened and what it meant would seem like preaching in a past tense. Essentially, the previously unforgiven and disobedience could have redemption through the sacrifice of Christ, as he officially became their redeemer as well as ours.The spirits imprisoned who had remorse and accepted Christ could then be freed. It would therefore be the gospel message being proclaimed for a purpose. Otherwise, there's no relevance in Christ proclaiming victory over demons.

Where does it say that? Why would the saints need to be preached too, assuming they're already saved?