Christians are not under the New Covenant

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Baptism in the Holy Spirit as Saint Paul wrote in corinthians. Water baptism occurs once someone is a christian, that is if you believe the bible over the teachings of men.

not baptism in the HS but the Christian sacrament of baptism in the name of the father and of the son and of the Holy Spirit

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It's not my personal interpretation! There are Bible translations which translate it as 'in', so the scholars that produced those translations believed it should be translated as 'in'. The 'Cambridge Bible for Schools and Colleges' (to give it its full name) notes was written over 100 years ago (1882 - 1921), so this is not a new interpretation.

The Cambridge Bible for Schools and Colleges was the first ever complete commentary set to be published by Cambridge University Press. The more than thirty theologians and biblical scholars that contributed to this collection have illuminated the Scriptures for thousands of readers for nearly one hundred years, and continue to provide a fantastic, holistic look at the entirety of the Bible. Contributing authors include noted scholars Herbert Edward Ryle, S. R. Driver, J. Skinner, A. Plummer, F. W. Farrar, H. C. G. Moule, and W. H. Simcox. The original audience for this series was the English Bible student, and the commentaries continue to be an excellent resource for those in the scholastic arena. This set provides a comprehensive, holistic examination of the Bible, including history, original language analysis, outlines, literary analysis and verse by verse comments. The General Editor of the set was J. J. S. Perowne, Dean of Peterborough.​

Or, it's their educated, scholarly understanding.

So that is their opinion. ;)

So 50 out of 61 translators, or teams of translators, are wrong. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, because pouring water three times onto a person's head, and fasting, were not the original way of baptising, and were made up things, a falling away from following the original teachings (as was baptising "into the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit" - it should have just been in Jesus' name - see Matthew 28:19 – Trinity corrupted verse).

So now all the Bibles are wrong also - as well as 50 out of 61 translators. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is no verse 26 of Romans 16!

Romans 16:26
King James Version

26 But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith:

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Romans 16:26
King James Version

26 But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith:
Sorry, I should have investigated further. In the WEB and Websters verses 25 - 27 are missing. In ESV and TLV verse 24 is missing (and greyed out in ASV and LSV).

Barnes notes says of verses 25-27 that these "verses are found in many manuscripts at the close of the fourteenth chapter. Its proper place, however, is here". The WEB includes those verses at the end of chapter 14.

Sorry for the confusion.

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
So now all the Bibles are wrong also - as well as 50 out of 61 translators. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Mat 7:7 - “Ask, and it will be given you. Seek, and you will find." Seek the truth and you will find it! :)

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Mat 7:7 - “Ask, and it will be given you. Seek, and you will find." Seek the truth and you will find it! :)
I've given you the truth and you still can't find it when its given to you.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry, I should have investigated further. In the WEB and Websters verses 25 - 27 are missing. In ESV and TLV verse 24 is missing (and greyed out in ASV and LSV).

Barnes notes says of verses 25-27 that these "verses are found in many manuscripts at the close of the fourteenth chapter. Its proper place, however, is here". The WEB includes those verses at the end of chapter 14.

Sorry for the confusion.

it’s all good

Moriah's Song

Sep 6, 2021
Murphy
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
op: "Christians" not under the New Covenant

But, HEBREW "christians" ARE under the New Covenant? Confusion, imho.
Of course, that's the Implication Of the scholar who posted Many Scriptures
From "HEBREWS"
{hmm, for the "Jews"?}

And, then tries to add them TO/Mix them Up With Scriptures From
"ROMANS" {hmmm ..... For The Body Of CHRIST?}
, In order to
make us believe that WE, Today, Under GRACE, are under the NC.

The book of Hebrews is a General Epistle (Apostolic Letter) that was written in approximately 67 A.D. It was written mainly to the Hebrew believers. The author is anonymous, although either Paul or Barnabas was traditionally accepted as the author. Its purpose was to present the Lord Jesus Christ as perfect and superior in comparison to anything Judaism and the old covenant had to offer them. If the writer had intended to write to Jewish unbelievers he never would have written the first 2 verses that makes it clear that it was written to Jewish believers instead of non-believers.

1:1) In many and various ways God spoke of old to our fathers by the prophets; (meaning their Jewish ancestors)
1:2) but in these last days he has spoken to us by a Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, through whom also he created the world. (i.e. "he has spoken to us Jewish Christian by God's Son; Jesus)​

The author was writing to a group of newer Christians that seems to have been second generation believers who had received the gospel from those who had actually heard the Lord Jesus (2:3-4, 9)

2:3) "...how shall we escape if we neglect such a great salvation? [the gospel] was declared at first by the Lord, and it was attested to us by those who heard him,(that salvation was only for those who believe in Christ as their Savior)
2:4) "...while God also bore witness by signs and wonders and various miracles and by gifts of the Holy Spirit distributed according to his own will." (the gift of the Holy Spirit would never have been bestowed upon Jewish non-believers!)
2:9) "But we [Jewish Christians]see Jesus, who for a little while was made lower than the angels,..."​

They seem to have been Jewish Christians who were in danger of abandoning their faith and lapsing back into Judaism due to intense persecution; so the writer exhorts them to hold fast to their confession in Christ Jesus as Savior and Lord (3:1)

3:1) "Therefore, holy brethren, who share in a heavenly call, consider Jesus, the apostle and high priest of our confession." (holy brethren could only be Jewish believers who share in a heavenly call..)
In Hebrews 3:6 he refers to the "house over which Christ now presides over and in which he officiates," is the Christian Church; which as Paul says in his Epistle to the Ephesians (2:20-22), is a holy temple, fitly framed together, and designed as a habitation or dwelling - place of God through the Spirit....

Heb 3:6..."but Christ was faithful over God's house [church] as a son. And we are his house [church] if we hold fast our confidence and pride in our hope."

He admonished them not to turn away from their only hope of salvation.

10:23) "Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful;"

The writer assures the Jewish Christians that the New Covenant is better than the Old Covenants:

12:24 "...and to Jesus, the mediator of a New Covenant, and to the sprinkled blood that speaks more graciously than the blood of Abel."
The book of Hebrews is an amazing book that serves Christians of all times as it is the bedrock truth of the all-sufficiency of Jesus Christ who is the same "yesterday, today and forever."

Last edited:

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The writer assures the Jewish Christians that the New Covenant is better than the Old Covenants:

12:24 "...and to Jesus, the mediator of a New Covenant, and to the sprinkled blood that speaks more graciously than the blood of Abel."
Gal 3:26-27,29 (WEB):
(26) For you are all children of God, through faith in Christ Jesus.
(27) For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
(29) If you are Christ’s, then you are Abraham’s offspring and heirs according to promise.

2Co 5:17 (WEB):
(17) Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old things have passed away. Behold, all things have become new.

Heb 12:22-24 (WEB):
(22) But you have come to Mount Zion, and to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to innumerable multitudes of angels,
(23) to the festal gathering and assembly of the firstborn who are enrolled in heaven, to God the Judge of all, to the spirits of just men made perfect,
(24) to Jesus, the mediator of a new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling that speaks better than that of Abel.

Yes, Christians have a heavenly calling and have come to the heavenly Jersualem, they have been enrolled in heaven, and they have come to God and to Jesus, and Jesus is the mediator of a new covenant - but they are not under that new covenant, they are joint heirs with Jesus and rule with him and share in his priestly duties, as his bride and brethren. They are a new creation, children (or sons) of God, and are not under the new covenant, which is for mankind. As members of the body of Christ, they are members of the mediator of the new covenant.

Moriah's Song

Sep 6, 2021
Murphy
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
but they are not under that new covenant
~ Who are the "they" that you refer to?
~ Are you one of those "they" New Covenant people now?
~ What about those 3,000 Jewish Christian believers in Acts 2:41 that were the first members of the Body of Christ - his church?

"So those who received his word were baptized, and there were added that day about 3,000 souls.

1 Cor 12:13...For in one Spirit we were all baptized into one body. Whether Jews or Greeks or slaves or free, we were all made to drink of the one Spirit.

Last edited:

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
~ Who are the "they" that you refer to?
I thought I was quite clear. I had written, "Yes, Christians ... - but they are not under that new covenant". So I referring to all true Christians.

~ Are you one of those "they" New Covenant people now?
I consider myself a Christian, and therefore not under the New Covenant - so, no (although you're not clear what you mean by "New Covenant people").

~ What about those 3,000 Jewish Christian believers in Acts 2:41 that were the first members of the Body of Christ - his church?
Well, as they "gladly received his [Peter's] word [and] were baptized", then they became Christians, and therefore they were not under the New Covenant.

1 Cor 12:13...For in one Spirit we were all baptized into one body. Whether Jews or Greeks or slaves or free, we were all made to drink of the one Spirit.
Yes, all Christians are/will become members of the body of Christ. But that says nothing about whether or not they are under the New Covenant, so I'm not sure why you quoted it.

Moriah's Song

Sep 6, 2021
Murphy
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, as they "gladly received his [Peter's] word [and] were baptized", then they became Christians, and therefore they were not under the New Covenant.
???

The OT prophecy #1:
Jer 31:31 - "Behold, the days are coming, says the LORD, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah,
OT prophecy #2 concerning the NC being an everlasting covenant:
Jer 50:5 - "They shall ask the way to Zion, with faces turned toward it, saying, 'Come, let us join ourselves to the LORD in an everlasting covenant which will never be forgotten.'

The OT Prophecy fulfilled and the New Covenant instituted at the Passover meal:
Luk 22:20 - And likewise the cup after supper, saying, "This cup which is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood.

The command to take part in remembering the Lords sacrifice in blood that fulfilled the OT prophecy.
1Co 11:25 - In the same way also the cup, after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me."

He has made us "servants" of the New Covenant which means we are to spread the good news of what the New Covenant means.
2 Co 3:6 - "...who has made us competent to be ministers [servants] of a new covenant, not in a written code but in the Spirit; for the written code kills, but the Spirit gives life.​

Q- If you are not under the New Covenant, what covenant are you under may I ask?

Last edited:

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The OT prophecy #1:
Jer 31:31 - "Behold, the days are coming, says the LORD, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah,

And that new covenant is still yet to come into force (at the start of the Millennial Age). Clearly Jews/Israelites have not come under that covenant yet. That covenant says, "I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people", but Christians are to become the sons of God, part of His household/family, not just "a people".

Romans 8:29 (WEB):
For whom he foreknew, he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers.​

The OT Prophecy fulfilled and the New Covenant instituted at the Passover meal:
Luk 22:20 - And likewise the cup after supper, saying, "This cup which is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood.
Mark 14:24 - He said to them, “This is my blood of the new covenant, which is poured out for many.​

The new covenant is indeed for many people - the majority of mankind. But it is not for Christians, as I've already mentioned. Paul said (1 Corinthians 12:27), "Now you are the body of Christ, and members individually". We are part of Christ - is Christ under the New Covenant?

He has made us "servants" of the New Covenant which means we are to spread the good news of what the New Covenant means.
2 Co 3:6 - "...who has made us competent to be ministers [servants] of a new covenant, not in a written code but in the Spirit; for the written code kills, but the Spirit gives life.​
Jesus was also a minister of the New Covenant, but he too, like us, will not be under the New Covenant.

Q- If you are not under the New Covenant, what covenant are you under may I ask?
See my opening two posts. Christians are not under the Sinaitic Law but under grace, and the law of love; and we are under a covenant of sacrifice.

Romans 8:17 (WEB): and if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint heirs with Christ; if indeed we suffer with him, that we may also be glorified with him.
Romans 12:1 (WEB): Therefore I urge you, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service.
Psalms 50:5 (WEB): “Gather my saints together to me, those who have made a covenant with me by sacrifice.”

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gal 3:26-27,29 (WEB):
(26) For you are all children of God, through faith in Christ Jesus.
(27) For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
(29) If you are Christ’s, then you are Abraham’s offspring and heirs according to promise.

2Co 5:17 (WEB):
(17) Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old things have passed away. Behold, all things have become new.

Heb 12:22-24 (WEB):
(22) But you have come to Mount Zion, and to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to innumerable multitudes of angels,
(23) to the festal gathering and assembly of the firstborn who are enrolled in heaven, to God the Judge of all, to the spirits of just men made perfect,
(24) to Jesus, the mediator of a new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling that speaks better than that of Abel.

Yes, Christians have a heavenly calling and have come to the heavenly Jersualem, they have been enrolled in heaven, and they have come to God and to Jesus, and Jesus is the mediator of a new covenant - but they are not under that new covenant, they are joint heirs with Jesus and rule with him and share in his priestly duties, as his bride and brethren. They are a new creation, children (or sons) of God, and are not under the new covenant, which is for mankind. As members of the body of Christ, they are members of the mediator of the new covenant.

that’s what it means to be in covenant
United to the mediator

Moriah's Song

Sep 6, 2021
Murphy
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
covenant of sacrifice
I am unable to find a verse that uses the term "covenant of sacrifice" that was prophesied in the Old Testament and inaugurated by Jesus in the New Testament.

As I understand it, the Old Testament Covenants of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob found their fulfillment in the reality of the New Covenant of this present age, having been instituted at the Last Supper, and is an "everlasting covenant" of which there will be none hereafter. The Book is closed.

Also, sacrifices are not covenants in themselves. Sacrifices are things we give up for the privilege of being able to call ourselves Christians...like stealing, drinking to excess, adultery, sodomy etc.

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Sacrifices are things we give up for the privilege of being able to call ourselves Christians...like stealing, drinking to excess, adultery, sodomy etc.
We follow in Jesus' footsteps and likewise have to sacrifice our human lives. As I wrote in post #3:

The whole merit of Jesus’ sacrifice was applied to the Church, so the Church must sacrifice their lives in order that the merit may be returned and then applied to the rest of mankind. This is an ongoing process during the Gospel Age. At the end of the Gospel Age all of the merit of Jesus’ sacrifice will have been returned so that it can then be applied to the rest of mankind. The merit of Jesus’ sacrifice is appropriated to the Church, the elect, in order that we can have the privilege of joining our Lord Jesus as his “members”, to “become the sons of God” (John 1:12) and so that we will be entitled to be sharers in Jesus’ inheritance. As sharers of his sacrifice we enable his merit to be passed on to natural Israel and the world through the New Covenant.