• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Apostle Paul says when a Jew trusts in Christ Jesus, he is exempted from his obligation to serve God by the Law. His argument is that the Torah is binding only on the living Jew, and that when anyone comes to faith in Christ they share in Christ's death ("I have been crucified with Christ")... but since we are "alive from the dead" Romans 6:13, naturally, since we still need to serve God, we should have questions as to how that is to be done. According to Paul, we are "under Grace" as the new means of service to God.

Objections:
1. "Oh yeah? Does that mean you can murder? Does that mean you can commit idolatry?"
A: "Not under Law but under Grace" doesn't mean "we can sin", it means "there's a new way to serve". The result is we fulfill the righteous requirement of the Law--He writes His Law on our hearts and minds Jeremiah 31:31-34, Romans 2:13-15 Romans 2:26-27, Romans 3:31, Romans 8:4, Romans 13:8-10. Those who serve by following the laws He writes in their hearts are qualified as "doers of the Law who will be justified".
2. "'Not under Law' doesn't mean 'you don't have to obey Law', it means 'not condemned by Law--because of Jesus's sacrifice--but we still have to live by the Law."
A: Really?
i. If "not under Law" means "not condemned by Law", then what does "under Grace" mean--"condemned by Grace"? How is that a means of service?
ii. No, the Greek for "under" means "under the jurisdiction of"--in other words, we are under Grace's authority, and we obey Grace as the new means of serving God.

Paul was a Pharisee. Death exempting the Jew from service to God through the Torah was a normative Pharisaic doctrine, and it was later codified in the Talmud:

Niddah 61b
Our Rabbis taught: A garment in which kil'ayim4 was lost5 may not be sold to an idolater,6 nor may one make of it a packsaddle for an ass, but it may be made into7 a shroud for a corpse. R. Joseph observed: This8 implies that the commandments will be abolished in the Hereafter.9 Said Abaye (or as some say R. Dimi) to him: But did not R. Manni10 in the name of R. Jannai state, 'This8 was learnt only in regard to the time of the lamentations11 but for burial12 this is forbidden'?13 — The other replied: But was it not stated in connection with it, 'R. Johanan ruled: Even for burial'? And thereby R. Johanan followed his previously expressed view, for R. Johanan stated: 'What is the purport of the Scriptural text, Free14 among the dead?15 As soon as a man dies he is free from the commandments'.

A brief discussion on the matter:

In other words, even Orthodox Jews would largely agree with Paul on this point--the issue is only the understanding of Messiah, qualifying as having "died" through faith in Him, and perhaps what the means of service might be afterward.

Many more things could be said, but I'm sure this is plenty to start the conversation.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Apostle Paul says when a Jew trusts in Christ Jesus, he is exempted from his obligation to serve God by the Law. His argument is that the Torah is binding only on the living Jew, and that when anyone comes to faith in Christ they share in Christ's death ("I have been crucified with Christ")... but since we are "alive from the dead" Romans 6:13, naturally, since we still need to serve God, we should have questions as to how that is to be done. According to Paul, we are "under Grace" as the new means of service to God.

Objections:
1. "Oh yeah? Does that mean you can murder? Does that mean you can commit idolatry?"
A: "Not under Law but under Grace" doesn't mean "we can sin", it means "there's a new way to serve". The result is we fulfill the righteous requirement of the Law--He writes His Law on our hearts and minds Jeremiah 31:31-34, Romans 2:13-15 Romans 2:26-27, Romans 3:31, Romans 8:4, Romans 13:8-10. Those who serve by following the laws He writes in their hearts are qualified as "doers of the Law who will be justified".
2. "'Not under Law' doesn't mean 'you don't have to obey Law', it means 'not condemned by Law--because of Jesus's sacrifice--but we still have to live by the Law."
A: Really?
i. If "not under Law" means "not condemned by Law", then what does "under Grace" mean--"condemned by Grace"? How is that a means of service?
ii. No, the Greek for "under" means "under the jurisdiction of"--in other words, we are under Grace's authority, and we obey Grace as the new means of serving God.

Paul was a Pharisee. Death exempting the Jew from service to God through the Torah was a normative Pharisaic doctrine, and it was later codified in the Talmud:

Niddah 61b
Our Rabbis taught: A garment in which kil'ayim4 was lost5 may not be sold to an idolater,6 nor may one make of it a packsaddle for an ass, but it may be made into7 a shroud for a corpse. R. Joseph observed: This8 implies that the commandments will be abolished in the Hereafter.9 Said Abaye (or as some say R. Dimi) to him: But did not R. Manni10 in the name of R. Jannai state, 'This8 was learnt only in regard to the time of the lamentations11 but for burial12 this is forbidden'?13 — The other replied: But was it not stated in connection with it, 'R. Johanan ruled: Even for burial'? And thereby R. Johanan followed his previously expressed view, for R. Johanan stated: 'What is the purport of the Scriptural text, Free14 among the dead?15 As soon as a man dies he is free from the commandments'.

A brief discussion on the matter:

In other words, even Orthodox Jews would largely agree with Paul on this point--the issue is only the understanding of Messiah, qualifying as having "died" through faith in Him, and perhaps what the means of service might be afterward.

Many more things could be said, but I'm sure this is plenty to start the conversation.

This is so wrong, I don't know where to start! You or anybody it applies to, whatever.
First off, if you want to be a Jew, you can still be a Jew. It is not against the law...LOL
Categorically, there is nothing in the Old Testament that has authority over the New Testament.
All authority has been given to Christ....His teachings supersede everything in the Old Testament.
His moral teachings surpass anything that the Old Testament has to offer, including wisdom.
The Mosaic Law is only for the Jews. They do not apply to Christians in anyway.
To get technical, lets say you post what people call the Ten Commandments in your house. If they mean anything to you, then posting them means something....if you look to observe one of the Commandments, you are obliged to keep all 613 Mosaic Laws, if you break one, you break them all. Two edged sword, you have broken all the commandments, and your are now severed from Christ and have fallen from Grace....You are in a virtual no man's land.
If you want to be a Jew...it is just best to be a Jew. Don't try to mix Judaism and Christianity....Christ and the Apostle Paul warned against that.

Reactions: kcnalp

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is so wrong...
Let's see...

Categorically, there is nothing in the Old Testament that has authority over the New Testament
All authority has been given to Christ....His teachings supersede everything in the Old Testament.
His moral teachings surpass anything that the Old Testament has to offer, including wisdom.
The Mosaic Law is only for the Jews. They do not apply to Christians in anyway.
To get technical, lets say you post what people call the Ten Commandments in your house. If they mean anything to you, then posting them means something....if you look to observe one of the Commandments, you are obliged to keep all 613 Mosaic Laws, if you break one, you break them all. Two edged sword, you have broken all the commandments, and your are now severed from Christ and have fallen from Grace....You are in a virtual no man's land.
If you want to be a Jew...it is just best to be a Jew. Don't try to mix Judaism and Christianity....Christ and the Apostle Paul warned against that.
Oops, you didn't even read the OP.

Proverb 18
13He who answers a matter before he hears it—
this is folly and disgrace to him.

Before I only suspected you did this--ie, didn't even bother reading, exposing yourself to information--now I know for certain you're not interested in truth only in expressing your opinions (for fun? for attention? for praise? who knows?).

Proverb 18
2A fool does not delight in understanding,
But in revealing his own opinion.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let's see...

Proverb 18

Before I only suspected you did this--ie, didn't even bother reading, exposing yourself to information--now I know for certain you're not interested in truth only in expressing your opinions (for fun? for attention? for praise? who knows?).

Proverb 18

I am Grailhunter, and Grailhunter is a Christian. I am not a Jew. Now if you think I missed something let me know. I don't think I missed anything. You have to pick whether you want to be a Jew or a Christian....cannot be both...period....end of story.

I will exchange scriptures with you if you wish, but if you start quoting Old Testament scriptures to prove why Judaism is part of Christianity, I will introduce you to the term Judaizer.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Christians Must Serve by the Law
You will not find this in Scripture. What you will find is this:

I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God. (Rom 12:1,2)

Reactions: mailmandan

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You will not find this in Scripture. What you will find is this:

I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God. (Rom 12:1,2)

Proverb 18

Proverb 18

You're all the same--here to reveal your opinions, not to seek truth.

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am Grailhunter, and Grailhunter is a Christian. I am not a Jew. Now if you think I missed something let me know. I don't think I missed anything. You have to pick whether you want to be a Jew or a Christian....cannot be both...period....end of story.

I will exchange scriptures with you if you wish, but if you start quoting Old Testament scriptures to prove why Judaism is part of Christianity, I will introduce you to the term Judaizer.
In New Testament Scriptures, "Jew" can be an ethnicity--the religion (Torah) was given to a family (12 tribes of Israel)--so, yes, a "Jew" can also be a "Christian".

Case in point:

Romans 2
28For no one is a Jew who is merely one outwardly, nor is circumcision outward and physical. 29But a Jew is one inwardly, and circumcision is a matter of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the letter. His praise is not from man but from God.

Edit : So, a Jew is "truly Jewish" when their heart is circumcised by the Spirit, so, in context, this refers to believing Jews.

Last edited:

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In New Testament Scriptures, "Jew" can be an ethnicity--the religion (Torah) was given to a family (12 tribes of Israel)--so, yes, a "Jew" can also be a "Christian".

Case in point:

Romans 2
28For no one is a Jew who is merely one outwardly, nor is circumcision outward and physical. 29But a Jew is one inwardly, and circumcision is a matter of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the letter. His praise is not from man but from God.

So, someone who is "truly Jewish" is someone whose heart is circumcised by the Spirit. In context, this refers to believers.

Just NOPE!

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christians are certainly not under the Law of Moses!

Galatians 3:24-25 (NKJV)
24 Therefore the law was our tutor to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
25 But after faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Which part did you disagree with, and based on what?
yes, a "Jew" can also be a "Christian". No a Jew cannot be a Christian.....A Jew can convert to be a Christian....Must leave the Old Covenant and the Mosaic Law....Join the New Covenant and believe in Christ and the Christian ways.

Most people that like to play this game of "I am a Jew" usually do not even know the 613 Mosaic Laws. What is the intent of your heart to want to hang on to the Law? Why isn't Christianity enough for you? Human nature, what is it that you want? Don't try to beat around the bush with me. You have an intent. You have a want. What is it?

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
yes, a "Jew" can also be a "Christian". No a Jew cannot be a Christian.....A Jew can convert to be a Christian....Must leave the Old Covenant and the Mosaic Law....Join the New Covenant and believe in Christ and the Christian ways.

Most people that like to play this game of "I am a Jew" usually do not even know the 613 Mosaic Laws. What is the intent of your heart to want to hang on to the Law? Why isn't Christianity enough for you? Human nature, what is it that you want? Don't try to beat around the bush with me. You have an intent. You have a want. What is it?
1. Already addressed when I cited Romans 2:29. What is your response to Romans 2:29?
2. Wow, not only did you not read the OP, you apparently didn't even read my responses. Shame. Proverbs 18:2, Proverbs 18:13

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christians are certainly not under the Law of Moses!

Galatians 3:24-25 (NKJV)
24 Therefore the law was our tutor to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
25 But after faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor.

Proverb 18

Proverb 18
Another one bites the dust.
Shameful.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You have to pick whether you want to be a Jew or a Christian....cannot be both...period....end of story.

You can be a Messianic Jew - a Jew who has come to Jesus and been born again - so both Christian and Jew, keeping the Jewish festivals, as were the disciples. Jesus didn't abandon his Jewishness and he also kept the Passover etc.

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You can be a Messianic Jew - a Jew who has come to Jesus and been born again - so both Christian and Jew, keeping the Jewish festivals, as were the disciples. Jesus didn't abandon his Jewishness and he also kept the Passover etc.
Please feel free to respond to the OP.

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Niddah 61b
As the footnote mentions, the reason this ruling leads unavoidably (for the Pharisee) to the conclusion that the Commands will be abolished in the "Hereafter" is as follows :
i. The ruling is authoritative (cannot be wrong, and cannot be broken), and
ii. When the men who were buried according to this ruling resurrect, they will be transgressing Torah if Torah is still in force.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1. Already addressed when I cited Romans 2:29. What is your response to Romans 2:29?
2. Wow, not only did you not read the OP, you apparently didn't even read my responses. Shame. Proverbs 18:2, Proverbs 18:13

but he is a Jew who is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.

Still not a Jew.

Oh ya Proverbs....again not a Jew....

What is it that the Old Testament has that you want.....you want to sell your daughter as a sex slave....have multiple wives....think people should separate their livestock by color....what?