Christmas gifts that matter

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

cedarhart

When good men do nothing, evil will triumph.Take a
Nov 17, 2008
This year is an especially difficult Christmas Holiday for many; more so than in years past. Our country is in a difficult recession and no foreseeable relief in sight. A few years ago, we were quite desperate for funds and I was needing to be creative. As it turned out, it was the best gifting year that we had experienced in a very long time. So, I just wanted to mention what I did that meant so much to my daughters and became a family heirloom. It was very simple but from the heart, purely.I wrote them a poem each. Each took me weeks of hours and rough drafts. I used a rhyming book, dictionary, and especially a thesaurus. Each child had their own unique experiences during there childhood and very specific characteristics and behaviors. The hard part was deciding which events stood out the most and made the poem flow. I made a point to express my full felt love for them. I printed the poem out on nice paper that was very light pastel that went with the matte and a frame. The frames and mattes were taken from old pictures that were hanging around the house that wouldn’t be missed. The cheapest place to purchase these materials is Walmart. Mattes are around $2 and frames are as low as $5. I was really surprised as these items are expensive elsewhere. I decided to put 3D stickers inside the frames on the mattes and paper as a theme. One was a Princess theme and the other Angels.One example that I started with: So loved were you before you were born, A light so bright sent grace to adorn.You filled a space within my heart;My love for you will never part. Though you were a “funny little kid”, There was abundant love in all that you did.And it went on. They loved the poems and they brought tears to their eyes. When one of my daughters was married, her poem was read at the reception as a tribute to her. It was lovely. What we decided to do this year, is make raisin-cinnamon bread, cookies, and pumpkin bread. We’re going to put them into Ziplock Christmas bags or baskets that we have and pass them out to neighbors and some family. Another great place to shop for ornaments, decorations, gift bags, cards, or even some figurines and bath items, is at the Dollar Store. We found $4 to $8+ gifts bags that were Christmas decorated beautifully for only $1. They also had $25-$30 books for $1 that were best sellers! We bought 5 for an aunt which would have cost well over $125. We bought Christmas tissue there and a bag. The whole gift was about $6.50 and she’ll love it. The thing is, that’s what we wanted to give her anyway as she loves to read. We bought my son-n-law a singing Christmas music tie to wear on Christmas day for $1. We had a blast saving money!If you know how to knit or crochet, there you go! One year, my husband made our daughters wooden blocks that were all different shapes and sizes. He sanded each one carefully and made them out of scrap wood. They loved them. One time we bought my one daughter a 6 pack of SpaghettiOs for Christmas as I would not buy them otherwise and she loved them! LOL Also, I think we bought a box of Lucky Charms Cereal. It was cheap and fun. We could have paid more and bought the same exact things at a better community acceptable store, but why would you want to do that??? LOL So, I encourage all that need to watch a buck especially close this year, to get really creative as that’s much more personal of a gift than anything else. It’s easy to go and just pick something out and buy it just to give a gift. It means so much more if you put some personal effort into it.If you don’t know what to buy for someone, I have an idea that you might consider if you can afford it. World Vision has a catalogue of several donations that one can make to 3rd world countries for the poorest of the poor. For $25 you can purchase 2 chickens that will go to a family for extra food and income. It’s $75 for a goat or whatever amount one can offer towards any service for clean water wells and girls in slavery to be rehabilitated. They are on the Internet and will send you a gift card to give to one who you purchase an animal for in their name. Great gift and great cause. www.WorldVision.org/GiftCatalog God Bless and Merry Christmas to All of You! The best stress reliever is to simplify the holiday and remember what really matters is the life of our Christ and His love for us.Cedarhart

Lookin4wardtoHeaven

Jul 17, 2007
(((Cedarhart)))) , How sweet ...gifts from the heart .
smile.gif
God :blessyou: too

cedarhart

Nov 17, 2008
picture.php
__________________________________________________________________________ MERRY CHRISTMAS!__________________________________________________________________________

cedarhart

Nov 17, 2008
picture.php
Each of us are as this..........there's always so much more deep underneath that we hide. Share some of yourself with others this Christmas. It will mean so much more than what anyone can see.

cedarhart

Nov 17, 2008
picture.php
[Dave:] all right you Chipmunks! Ready to sing your song?-I'll say we are!-Yeah!-Let's sing it now![Dave:] Okay, Simon?-Okay![Dave:] Okay, Theodore?-Okay![Dave:] Okay, Alvin? Alvin? ALVIN!-OKAY!!!)Christmas, Christmas time is nearTime for toys and time for cheerWe've been good, but we can't lastHurry Christmas, hurry fastWant a plane that loops the loopMe, I want a hula hoopWe can hardly stand the waitPlease Christmas, don't be late.[Dave:] Okay fellas get ready.That was very good, Simon.-Naturally.[Dave:] Very good Theodore.-Ahhh.[Dave:] Ah, Alvin, you were a little flat, watch it.[Dave:] Ah, Alvin. Alvin. ALVIN!-OKAY.)Want a plane that loops the loopI still want a hula hoopWe can hardly stand the waitPlease Christmas, don't be late.We can hardly stand the waitPlease Christmas, don't be late.[Dave:] Very good, boys-Lets sing it again! Yeah, lets sing it again![Dave:] No, That's enough, lets not overdo it-What do you mean overdo it?-We want to sing it again![Dave:] Now wait a minute, boys-Why can't we sing it again?-[chipmunk chatter][Dave:] Alvin, cut that out..Theodore, just a minute.Simon will you cut that out? Boys...

cedarhart

Nov 17, 2008
[/FONT]
picture.php
*Thank You Father for the Birth of Our Savior*

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
(Christina;66329)
Here you go Tim http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dnrosVyamY
Yeah, those chipmunks bring back memories as a kid in the 60's. According to Wikipedia they were created in the late 50's and the earlier cartoons came out about 1961-62 (They made a reappearance about 20 years later). I thought that this song was done sometimes around '64 but I could have been wrong (hula-hoops that Alvin wanted were popular back then). In the mid sixties, my dad used to take me to a store called "Two Guys" in north Allentown PA where they had about everything back then---- they had lumber and hardware for the man of the house, but on the other end they had domestic stuff for the moms and records for kids like me. That was one of the earlier "superstores" as I remember it was a pretty large place compared to other stores back then. That's where I got the Alvin record to listen to.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(tim_from_pa;66345)
Yeah, those chipmunks bring back memories as a kid in the 60's. According to Wikipedia they were created in the late 50's and the earlier cartoons came out about 1961-62 (They made a reappearance about 20 years later). I thought that this song was done sometimes around '64 but I could have been wrong (hula-hoops that Alvin wanted were popular back then). In the mid sixties, my dad used to take me to a store called "Two Guys" in north Allentown PA where they had about everything back then---- they had lumber and hardware for the man of the house, but on the other end they had domestic stuff for the moms and records for kids like me. That was one of the earlier "superstores" as I remember it was a pretty large place compared to other stores back then. That's where I got the Alvin record to listen to.
Well I never got the record but I got the Hula hoop:)