Complaining vs Joy online

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When we are online, those outside the faith are watching and assessing the merit of our faith and the Lord Jesus through what we post.

Sometimes I wonder what they see. Are we joyful online? Or do we just love to complain? Did we become Christians only to get a sour face, disapprove of things, and just miserably endure life until we die and go to heaven?

Here are some verses about complaining.

There are plenty of sad and terrible things to complain about today. Legitimate complaints about the state of America or western Christianity in modern times abound on this thread. Many of the older members are understandably appalled at how times have changed.

But I just wanted to say that joy is still the stronger witness and even legitimate complaints are off-putting. I don't want the world to see us as the cranky old guard. I want them to see our joy.

This world is going crazy but we have a future and an unshakeable Kingdom awaiting us. We have the true treasure---Jesus the Lord, right now and access to the Father through Him. We have the solution to the aches and pains of the world and though we ache along with them, we have a reason to celebrate, give thanks, and rejoice at all times.

Can we post praises online? Can we share Phillipians 4:8 type things that are commendable? Absolutely. Can we give thanks online? Is there anything good that the Lord has done for us or is doing in our lives and in the lives of those around us?

Online, can we testify of God's goodness? Can we pray for people? Yes! And these things are definitely happening on this forum. Id just love to see more of that and encourage people to be self-aware if theology differences or current events have stolen their joy in posting online.

Joy in Christ is the stronger witness. It is not just for certain personalities or super Christians. It is a fruit of the Holy Spirit and our heritage as believers. If you don't have it or you lost it, ask God and He can absolutely restore it. In fact, I am willing to pray until you get it back just like I did for my husband.

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I was an unbeliever I had zero interest in visiting a Christian online discussion board.

And for most of my time as a Christian I avoided Christian discussion boards because of an early unsavory experience on a discussion board. My Bible knowledge was limited back then so I wasn’t prepared to challenge anyone.

But after about 10 years of non stop Bible reading I came back and now I’ve been here for a couple years.

You learn a lot about how and why people believe the things they believe despite the daggers and darts that are thrown around often.

Last edited:

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When we are online, those outside the faith are watching and assessing the merit of our faith and the Lord Jesus through what we post.

Sometimes I wonder what they see. Are we joyful online? Or do we just love to complain? Did we become Christians only to get a sour face, disapprove of things, and just miserably endure life until we die and go to heaven?

There are plenty of sad and terrible things to complain about today. Legitimate complaints about the state of America or western Christianity in modern times abound on this thread. Many of the older members are understandably appalled at how times have changed.

But I just wanted to say that joy is still the stronger witness and even legitimate complaints are off-putting. I don't want the world to see us as the cranky old guard. I want them to see our joy.

This world is going crazy but we have a future and an unshakeable Kingdom awaiting us. We have the true treasure---Jesus the Lord, right now and access to the Father through Him. We have the solution to the aches and pains of the world and though we ache along with them, we have a reason to celebrate, give thanks, and rejoice at all times.

Can we post praises online? Can we share Phillipians 4:8 type things that are commendable? Absolutely. Can we give thanks online? Is there anything good that the Lord has done for us or is doing in our lives and in the lives of those around us?

Online, can we testify of God's goodness? Can we pray for people? Yes! And these things are definitely happening on this forum. Id just love to see more of that and encourage people to be self-aware if theology differences or current events have stolen their joy in posting online.

Joy in Christ is the stronger witness. It is not just for certain personalities or super Christians. It is a fruit of the Holy Spirit and our heritage as believers. If you don't have it or you lost it, ask God and He can absolutely restore it. In fact, I am willing to pray until you get it back just like I did for my husband.
Both my family and friends and those who know me, know that my favorite word is Joy. There is a candy bar called "JOY" and I used to cut the wrapper and pin it to my bulletin board. :)

May the Heavenly Father bring you much Joy Wynona.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The Christian life is about a focus on Christ, not ourselves. When we look only to ourselves we tend to get bitter....and complaining as you say. We are insufficient of ourselves to do anything but receive what confronts us. When we do that without the comfort of God's presence, we will find ourselves being overmatched at times. If we wait for the Lord, he brings us that sufficiency. But we have to get our eyes off ourselves, and onto Him.

The more I learn of God the more I see how He is selfless, and desires us to be selfless to understand His ways.

Good post and thank you! :)

Peace

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“…this is a rebellious people, lying children, children that will not hear the law of the LORD: Which say to the seers, See not; and to the prophets, Prophesy not unto us right things, speak unto us smooth things, prophesy deceits:” (Isaiah 30:9-10)

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Great Post Sister, Love always, Walter and Debbie

Selah

May 15, 2023
heaven bound
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps if we can really take hold of this, we’ll stop complaining so much—We need to know in our ♥️ that we can trust God. We can trust that every single promise He has ever made to us He will faithfully keep. We who call ourselves Christian can be assured that all things will always work out for our good. and God also promises that He will carry us through every circumstance and every trial and that He will never ever leave us without a Comforter.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Even "legitimate complaints" demonstrate a lack of trust in God, that He has such a great love for us, and that He is all-wise and all-powerful.

When we can remain in His love, and are secure that whatever happens, no matter how difficult or painful, that this is ordained by God for my good, then we are always joyful knowing our Creator is not failing us for a single moment!

Oh how I need to hear this message!!

Much love!