1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Convince me of Annihilationism

Discussion in 'Christian Theology Forum' started by friend of, May 14, 2019.

1. bbyrd009

bbyrd009 Groper

Faith:
    Christian
    United States Minor Outlying Islands
    ya, i guess i knew that. Imo that makes it worse, not better tho, k
    guess i'm neglecting irl or something now, have a good evening CI

the Xmas "spirit" is manifested by mom, on purpose
    :D

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  2. amadeus

amadeus Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Well work on getting some real sleep my friend. I, who have had lots of trouble [and still do have], getting enough sleep can relate to this.

3. amadeus

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    I most certainly do hear what you are saying here. Give God the glory!

bbyrd009 likes this.
  4. CoreIssue

CoreIssue Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    A problem with those who believe in annihilation is that their arguments also say God is not eternal.

5. amadeus

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    I am afraid that your words make no sense at all. Nothing and no one is like God. Those walking with Him may be on the approach, but those not with Him will eventually lose all hope and therefore everything:

"And he is before all things, and by him all things consist." Col 1:17

6. CoreIssue

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    And that is where your failure to do Bible study comes in.

Those who are not saved do not cease their rebellion in the lake of fire. So you cannot speak of them as having hope.

7. CoreIssue

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Those who are not saved look to themselves, other people and other gods for hope.

Only those seeking God or who have God look to the one true God for hope.

That hope is in the resurrection of Christ.

8. amadeus

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Those without hope may simply be out of time and have no hope and also nothing else. Another possibility is that they have truly blasphemed against the Holy Ghost:

"Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men." Matt 12:31

9. marks

marks Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Hi Amadeus,

I think what CI is referring to is the fact that the Bible uses the exact same terminology when it speaks of the eternal life of the redeemed, and the eternal torment of the unredeemed.

If the one is forever, according to the text, then if we are to be consistent, we should see the other as forever also.

Much love!

10. amadeus

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    I understand the question and the basis for it, but what no one has clarified is how those who never acknowledged the Master [Jesus] and never accepted the Life that He brought for them can be said by anyone to Live in pain and suffering without end? I may not have an easy answer that everyone here would readily accept, but to accept this idea that those who died in sin will live on in any state of perception simply goes against too many verses of scriptures in any reasonable translation and interpretation used by men.

To me, Jesus recognized that there were dead men walking around and the scripture make it clear, to me, that dead men know and perceive nothing. This is seen in both the OT and the NT and many more verses than what I have quoted on this thread. Why teach something as absolute which is brought into question repeatedly by the very scriptures written by men as they were inspired by God?

I do live for God by faith rather than by knowledge so why are people surprised when I do not embrace a doctrine or belief which is as clear as mud?

bbyrd009 likes this.
  11. marks

marks Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    I've not read this entire thread, just the same, Jesus taught about those who had died as though still possessing a sense of self and their environment, and an ability to interact with it.

There is the example of King Saul and the medium of Endor, and Samuel, who came from the place of the dead and spoke with Saul, prophesying the outcome of the battle.

This is very plain Scripture. Perhaps you have addressed your POV of this passage elsewhere, I don't know.

Much love!
    mark

12. marks

marks Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    How then do you account for this use of the language?

Much love!

13. amadeus

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Start by reading the verses I quoted in post #6...

14. amadeus

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    I have explained why my position is what it is already on this thread. [You may wish to read my posts before continuing.] I am not going to change simply because the majority may disagree. The majority of the leadership in Jerusalem were opposed to Jesus, but he was always willing to stand alone. My belief may not be equal to the knowledge that He had, but as they were most certainly wrong to oppose him in spite of their numbers, until a better explanation or clear revelation from God to me to the contrary is expressed, I won't switch sides simply to appease or agree with any majority. The best I can do is return to the "lowest room" and leave it in the hands of God.

15. bbyrd009

bbyrd009 Groper

Faith:
    Christian
    you're a pebble on the edge of a cliff, and you're looking up?

16. bbyrd009

bbyrd009 Groper

Faith:
    Christian
    A, what is the verse that says "we don't write the way you read?" Bc reading...that is not going to work for him right now I guess.
    The v maybe has the word language in it, not sure. Wanna say in Corinthians somewhere maybe

17. bbyrd009

bbyrd009 Groper

Faith:
    Christian
    ah, sorry about that. I usually sleep pretty good, but i'm on walkabout and made a major move, so some adjustment period is normal I guess.
    Rhode Island is not an island, who knew? Softest muni water I ever felt though, man, ima go take a shower right now! lol. I just got some goat soap too; feels like ten virgins giving a massage :D

are you exhausting yourself at least once twice a day? It even sounds...cleansing, huh? Exhaust
    fwiw swimming and yoga, senior yoga (youtube) might serve you. See how long you can dog paddle in a pool without stopping lol, pretty sure you'll be wanting a little lie-down right after :)

you aren't supping melatonin, are you?

Hisman and amadeus like this.
  18. bbyrd009

bbyrd009 Groper

Faith:
    Christian
    it's patently easy to reveal literalism as hypocrisy; to everyone else but the literalist

Hisman and amadeus like this.
  19. bbyrd009

bbyrd009 Groper

Faith:
    Christian
    yet you do not buy you and your sons will be here with me
    hmm

20. bbyrd009

bbyrd009 Groper

Faith:
    Christian
    I have spoken these things to you in figures of speech.

Why don't you understand the language I use?

If, however, I do not know the meaning of the particular language, I shall seem
    to the speaker of it, and he to me, to be merely talking some foreign tongue

hmm, might be a variant of one of the first two maybe. But bam go read "literally" now :rolleyes: