Covid . . Are Americans totally stoopid??

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Published 1995. People realized that globalization was likely to make such pandemics much more frequent.
I read a magazine articles years and years ago on the topic. It was interesting but also a wee bit frightening. It discussed the case of a remote village in the jungles of South America where a virus hit and wiped out the entire village in about a week. It was pure chance that no one from that village had gone to a major city. Had that happened, odds are some people would have been getting on planes and spreading it around the world. It spread easily and quickly, and the mortality rate (judging from that village) was 100%.

The article also discussed how someone with a virus was on a ship going from South America to Europe. The ship stopped at an island and someone on the island got infected. I can't remember all the details; but almost everyone on that island died. I don't recall if the infected passenger wasn't contagious for the first part of the voyage and maybe he got off on that island; but it was pure luck the virus never made it to Europe.

The article was written at a time when the federal government was cutting spending on research on tropical diseases. Politicians and bureaucrats figured they had better things to spend their money on. Why bother with tropical diseases when the USA has so little territory that could be considered tropical? Of course, a policy of neglect and indifference is misguided. A disease can start out as a tropical disease and spread around the world. The USA has no automatic immunity.

Covid-19 is bad, but it could have been worse, far worse; and we are still not prepared.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He didn't. He wasn't talking about COVID-19; he was talking about how foolish it was to shut down our pandemic response team.
LOL!!!!!!!!!! You have no idea what he had in mind when he tweeted about a "pandemic" last October. Or are you actually Joe Biden posting from the basement??

Last edited:

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why compare Canada with Florida, a republican run state? Why not compare it with Democrat run new York, whose covid death rates are five times worse than Florida with smaller population?
Good point! About 1/3 of the confirmed cases in the entire U.S. have occurred in the Northeast, mostly in New York City. The Northeast is pretty much Democrat Country.

Last edited:

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From all accounts, it's because Trump is seeking to erase as much of Obama's legacy as he can.
I agree with this statement 100%, and I THANK GOD Trump is doing this! No other president in U.S. history has done more harm to our nation than Obama. Before you play the race card, I voted for Alan Keyes in the primaries when he ran for president! He attended a meeting of parents in my state concerned about radical education reforms. He and I had a discussion about it, and I was very impressed with him. Also, I would have loved to see Herman Cain as president!

Last edited:
Reactions: marks and Stan B

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why compare Canada with Florida, a republican run state? Why not compare it with Democrat run new York, whose covid death rates are five times worse than Florida with smaller population?
Several factors need to be considered. New York was hit by surprise. Florida had more time to prepare. It's also possible that people being outdoors a lot in Florida helped. Being cooped up in cold weather was probably a factor in spreading it so quickly in New York, overwhelming the health care system. So far, Florida's hospitals haven't reached a breaking point; but if they do, expect the mortality rate to rise.

I'm also thinking how old people are dealing with it is better in Florida than in New York where inept handling led to a lot of deaths in nursing homes. My guess is the retired people in Florida are less exposed to the virus by staying home a lot. The following statistics interest me more:

Big drop in Florida COVID-19 cases Monday may reflect tropical storm, but two-week trend is favorable

The U.S. has 4.3% of the world’s population, but nearly 26% of the world’s cases and 22% of the world’s deaths.

Those numbers will change, of course, when the virus hits poor areas more. Lack of testing, facilities and protective equipment will doubtlessly change those numbers. Some countries are also too poor to be able to pay people for not working; and where people are forced to work in order to eat, we may also see bigger numbers.

Yehren

Sep 12, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree with this statement 100%, and I THANK GOD Trump is doing this! No other president in U.S. history has done more harm to our nation than Obama.

Americans disagree with you. For many good reasons. Normally, the "most admired man" in America is the president. In Obama's case, he continued to be the most admired man in America for two years after he left office. And he left office with a 58 percent approval rate, and continues to be widely admired by Americans. Partially, it's because he succeeded a less-than-average president, and was succeeded by a complete disaster of a president. But it's also because he made a huge step forward in solving our medical care issues, made America respected again in the world, and pulled us out of an economic tailspin, leading the longest economic expansion in U.S. history.

Most Americans think these are good things.

Before you play the race card

Why is it always about race for you people? Why would you even bring race up?

If you were less obsessed with race, I think you could be more objective about things here.

Also, I would have loved to see Herman Cain as president!

That won't happen. He unwisely let himself be persuaded to attend the Tulsa rally, sat in the closely-packed area where they made everyone sit, didn't wear a mask, and got COVID-19. And he just died.

Yehren

Sep 12, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He didn't. He wasn't talking about COVID-19; he was talking about how foolish it was to shut down our pandemic response team.

LOL!!!!!!!!!! You have no idea what he had in mind when he tweeted about a "pandemic" last October.

I'm merely noting what he said:
10716_82cd1288368b95e0877b8ff52ed1795f.png

Nothing at all about COVID-19. He was just commenting on the stupidity of shutting down the pandemic task force, when the likelihood of serious disease outbreaks was higher than ever. It was stupid, and it was mostly because Trump's irrational hatred for Obama made him try to erase anything Obama did.

And in this case, his stupidity killed tens of thousands of Americans.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I read a magazine articles years and years ago on the topic. It was interesting but also a wee bit frightening. It discussed the case of a remote village in the jungles of South America where a virus hit and wiped out the entire village in about a week. It was pure chance that no one from that village had gone to a major city. Had that happened, odds are some people would have been getting on planes and spreading it around the world. It spread easily and quickly, and the mortality rate (judging from that village) was 100%.

The article also discussed how someone with a virus was on a ship going from South America to Europe. The ship stopped at an island and someone on the island got infected. I can't remember all the details; but almost everyone on that island died. I don't recall if the infected passenger wasn't contagious for the first part of the voyage and maybe he got off on that island; but it was pure luck the virus never made it to Europe.

The article was written at a time when the federal government was cutting spending on research on tropical diseases. Politicians and bureaucrats figured they had better things to spend their money on. Why bother with tropical diseases when the USA has so little territory that could be considered tropical? Of course, a policy of neglect and indifference is misguided. A disease can start out as a tropical disease and spread around the world. The USA has no automatic immunity.

Covid-19 is bad, but it could have been worse, far worse; and we are still not prepared.
Hopefully the virus wasn't carried in by a missionary. When Americans first came to this continent disease was the primary killer of native Americans the way I understand it.

Reactions: Giuliano

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Our whole house has came down with something, it hit me yesterday evening like a truck. Sore throat headache, stuffy nose and congestion. Oldest granddaughter has a fever. The position we've taken is we would rather face it than to live in fear.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scoot

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

I have been following Florida because my family has a winter home there. Doesn't look like they will be going south this year.

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hopefully the virus wasn't carried in by a missionary. When Americans first came to this continent disease was the primary killer of native Americans the way I understand it.
Syphilis was brought back to Europe by Columbus' crew. It only took 20 years for Henry VIII, king of England to contract the disease!

Last edited:

Yehren

Sep 12, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Yes, that's a fact. Entire civlizations fell because of the new diseases. The Mound Builder civilization had collapsed before Europeans ever reached the Ohio valley. It wasn't intentional, but it was a huge disaster for American populations.

Syphilis was brought back to Europe by his crew.

There is good evidence to support that hypothesis.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, that's a fact. Entire civlizations fell because of the new diseases. The Mound Builder civilization had collapsed before Europeans ever reached the Ohio valley. It wasn't intentional, but it was a huge disaster for American populations.

There is good evidence to support that hypothesis.
So what do we do live in fear or embrace, because the way I see it is it's here?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
and it was mostly because Trump's irrational hatred for Obama made him try to erase anything Obama did.
Actually, that was why we elected him. To try to recover from the damage done by Obama, the Clintons, and the Bushes.

Did you like the Clintons? Good Administration?

Wondering . . .

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If they can get people to worry, they can sell you papers tomorrow or get you to tune into their television station.
Just so.

And the entire population is manipulated by toothpaste vendors.

Last edited: