Craving God but not experiencing Him or His power

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
For me the anwer is to live in the moment. Right now the only thing I need concern myself with is what is in front of me, and who is in front of me, and to answer these things according to God's loving ways as best I can, trusting in Jesus to enable me, and looking to Jesus to correct me, and continue to renew me.

I know just what you mean, things take so long, but that also means, nothing is actually happening to me right now, more just the threat of something. When something is actually happening, then in that moment, that's when I reach to God for help concerning that thing.

My supply seems short, but that's OK, God gives me what I need right now, so it must be enough. Time, money, strength, wisdom, God will give as I need.

And my sense of His presence, yes, there have been the times that I've been overwhelmed with His nearness, and His loving kindness, and it seems the greater the physical pain, the greater that sense. So I don't so much mind the times of great pain, He meets me there. But I'm not asking Him for more, only, whatever He sees fit for me.

My trust is that He is here with me, strenghening my heart for Him, and it's when I focus on that truth, I more readily feel Him near me.

I try to not get to focused on the circumstances, only, just this moment, and, communion with God, and, If you draw near to Him, He will draw near to you.

Much love!
@marks Like you say, the blessing is in trusting prayerfully in His Word, beyond one's mere circumstances.

Reactions: marks and Wynona

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For me the anwer is to live in the moment. Right now the only thing I need concern myself with is what is in front of me, and who is in front of me, and to answer these things according to God's loving ways as best I can, trusting in Jesus to enable me, and looking to Jesus to correct me, and continue to renew me.

I know just what you mean, things take so long, but that also means, nothing is actually happening to me right now, more just the threat of something. When something is actually happening, then in that moment, that's when I reach to God for help concerning that thing.

My supply seems short, but that's OK, God gives me what I need right now, so it must be enough. Time, money, strength, wisdom, God will give as I need.

And my sense of His presence, yes, there have been the times that I've been overwhelmed with His nearness, and His loving kindness, and it seems the greater the physical pain, the greater that sense. So I don't so much mind the times of great pain, He meets me there. But I'm not asking Him for more, only, whatever He sees fit for me.

My trust is that He is here with me, strenghening my heart for Him, and it's when I focus on that truth, I more readily feel Him near me.

I try to not get to focused on the circumstances, only, just this moment, and, communion with God, and, If you draw near to Him, He will draw near to you.

Much love!

Well marks, it would seem I am learning not to rely so much on feelings but trusting in God's goodness despite not feeling anything. He is teaching me to be a bit more patient.

Not me

May 8, 2019
California, Ca.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Wynona, your joy and your heart after Him is a blessing to feed upon….

@marks, your relationship with Him is strong, may God grant you all…..

Blessings to both and to all that are His…

A fellow learner of Him, Not me

Reactions: L.A.M.B. and Wynona

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well marks, it would seem I am learning not to rely so much on feelings but trusting in God's goodness despite not feeling anything. He is teaching me to be a bit more patient.
I think this decision to trust comes first and is most important, and the feelings may or may not follow. I'm praying for you!

Much love!

Reactions: Wynona

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I prayed with all my heart yesterday to experience God's manifest presence. I wanted an encounter like Moses. I want signs, miracles, and wonders to follow me like the Scripture promised. But I couldn't seem to get into God's presence.

My prayers just seemed to hit the ceiling and go no further. I was praising and worshipping and asking for God but nothing happened. I was so disappointed.

Maybe some of you can help me fully understand. Should I be seeking the Lord more dilligently? Waiting on Him?

If God gives us seasons where we can't feel His presence on purpose, then why?

Trust...what you ask shall be given you.
Know...your “timeframe” of “yesterday, today, tomorrow”, is of NO demand on God.
Lesson...patience

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dear sweet Wynona,
I love your zeal and the desire of more Lord more.
There are valleys of teaching and mountains of rejoicing, I know the one I like better [ smile]

There are times set as you've said seasons of the soul. Sometimes we have to put away before we can take on.

You have wisdom beyond your years and your insights are thoughtful. I don't know the pathway he has chosen for you but he does and he will equipt you accordingly.

I know well that burning desire for the fullness of God when I desired that I would receive the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. That power to be heard and it be effective, to stand and say thus saith the word and it is right and never fails.

With more from God comes also more responsibility of how he uses you. It takes putting something away sometimes to put on what God wants of you. As has been said quietness and stillness gives you peace in your spirit while you wait. Prayer on your behalf will be lifted.

Blessings Sister.

Last edited:

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am in this very long season sister, but then my faith tells me He is right by my side :) I will pray for a breakthrough for you.
In my experience, the "mountain-top" experiences are few and far between. My life seems to be lived down in the valleys. The upside is that the mountain-top experiences are all the more memorable.

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I found a great video that really helped me just now. The woman in it just explains that love is a choice and not a feeling and that as believers we choose to put God before ourselves whether we feel His presence or not. Very good stuff.

Thanks for sharing the video ,it’s been really helped me today xx

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In my experience, the "mountain-top" experiences are few and far between. My life seems to be lived down in the valleys. The upside is that the mountain-top experiences are all the more memorable.
nodding-ron.gif

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I prayed with all my heart yesterday to experience God's manifest presence. I wanted an encounter like Moses. I want signs, miracles, and wonders to follow me like the Scripture promised. But I couldn't seem to get into God's presence.

My prayers just seemed to hit the ceiling and go no further. I was praising and worshipping and asking for God but nothing happened. I was so disappointed.

Maybe some of you can help me fully understand. Should I be seeking the Lord more dilligently? Waiting on Him?

Paul told us to pray constantly (1 Thessalonians 5:17). That is what I would suggest - just walk with him.

Reactions: farouk and Wynona

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Thanks for sharing the video ,it’s been really helped me today xx
@Rita Yes, some of these young women in their video testimonies seem already to have developed Christian wisdom in life. So good for prayer and the Scriptures to inform one's thinking from an early age.

dhh712

Jun 12, 2022
Gettysburg
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I think the answer may be to wait on the Lord. His ways are not our ways. We can't understand why he wouldn't want us to see him more clearly, as clearly we can in this world. I imagine many of us would like to have the kind of walk with God as Moses did, but God may not have called us to that kind of purpose, to be that sort of follower who has experienced in a dramatic way his presence. Perhaps it may put more responsibilities on us that he knows we are not able to do. But likely there are other reasons known only to him.

Most of us are your "run-of-the-mill" Christians and most are not going to have miraculous encounters with God. We must be grateful to the Lord for what he has given us: to know Jesus as our Lord and Savior. We should be encouraged to know that by the gift of faith that we are serving our God in our mundane daily activities every day, just by walking close with him and adhering to his commandments. We often are not aware of the ways in which our Heavenly Father is using us.

I personally feel it will be such a joyous occasion once we reach our eternal home to know of the ways that our mundane, ordinary lives have had an effect in God's glorious plan of salvation. I think all of us will be surprised (I'm just about 100% sure that D.H. Hill would never have thought that his personal letters would have been used to convert someone to God like around 150-some years later).

Personally for me, though it would be an incredible experience, I'm actually glad most of the time that I haven't had that kind of thing happen to me. I think I would be like James and John responding to when Jesus asked, "Can you drink the cup which my Heavenly Father has prepared?" "Yes, we can." I may think I can respond appropriately if the Lord should visit me miraculously; but in truth I feel I would be too weak.

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have learned four things.

1. Feelings aren't everything. God's awesomeness and love doesnt change.

2. Keep the sails open. I cannot control the wind of God's Spirit but I can be ready for it.

3. "I need you God." is not as effective as ,"I praise you, God. Its all about you."

4. I will never give up hungering and thirsting after a deeper walk with the Lord. As painful as it was to feel that great disappointment, I still think God is more than capable of all the things that happened in the Bible happening today.

The Scripture says that those who would come to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who dilligently seek Him.

So while I must wait on God, I won't stop pressing Him for more. When its time to step out on the water, I want to be ready.

Reactions: Lambano and Nancy

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

Hi @Wynona It's interesting that "prayers" were one of the things that the early believers continued steadfastly in, as recorded in Acts 2.42, together with the Apostles' doctrine, fellowship and the breaking of bread.

Perhaps spending time with the Lord in prayer in a steadfast way provides part of the key to what you were talking about.............

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I was thinking about this as I got ready this morning and a question arose in my mind ‘ why , in scripture were things manifested as they were. Why did Moses need to encounter God as he did,or any of those mentioned in scripture. There is always purpose and meaning behind ‘ how ‘ God works ……..
Look how Jesus dealt with the women at the well, through words, through knowledge of her. Just this simple act of understanding led to many in her community coming to faith.
Not sure if that helps, but Jesus was obedient to the leading of His father, and it wasn’t always through the amazing experiences that we read about……
@Rita Interesting how David in Psalm 73.17 said it was 'Until I went into the sanctuary of God' that proved to be how his viewpoint was altered.

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The Lord once told me "A mite is an animal that gets under the skin to get at the blood, but I want a more personal relationship than that."

Of course we depend on the power of God, or our existence, our needs, our battles with the dark spiritual forces of this world, and basically for our life period. Yet He created us to live in a relationship with Him. So what He wants is our attention and our company!! He doesn't need it to be God, but He created things for a purpose and He purpose of us is to live in communion with Him - which just means He likes talking to us.

He really wants to help us, but what does that help look like?

Is 9:6 For a child will be born to us, a son will be given to us;
And the government will rest on His shoulders;
And His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Eternal Father, Prince of Peace.

Look close at the order of the above verse. First comes Jesus Christ being given to us. That happens when we let God into our lives. And when He comes into our lives there should come the realization that He is King of kings, and Lord or lords. So we are under His authority. Yet "Mighty God" does not come next, "Wonderful Counselor" does!! So before we get to might God we need to start listening to Him as the "Wonderful Counselor" He is the King who we have to listen to before we start getting the Might of God! Oh maybe, to get our attention, He displays His might, but the purpose was to develop a personal relationship with Him!! Like a man looking for a bride, He comes knocking on our door with His words and inviting us to dine with Him, so we can get to know Him.

Rev 3:20 ‘Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and will dine with him, and he with Me.

So, are we letting Him into our lives first? He is the King and it is written to seek first the Kingdom of God (which is His), doesn't it. So the first thing we need to do is seek the voice of our Lord and listen to what He wants, isn't it. He wants to talk to us and that we would listen to Him.

So is that seen first in the OP???

If not we are looking for the power of God but not the person of God. We are like that animal that gets under His skin to get at the blood, instead of the bride who is looking for the relationship!

Ps 81:13 “Oh that My people would listen to Me, That Israel would walk in My ways!

Is 46:3 “Listen to Me, O house of Jacob,
And all the remnant of the house of Israel,
You who have been borne by Me from birth
And have been carried from the womb;

Is 48:12 “Listen to Me, O Jacob, even Israel whom I called;
I am He, I am the first, I am also the last.

Is 51:1 “Listen to me, you who pursue righteousness,
Who seek the LORD:
Look to the rock from which you were hewn
And to the [fn]quarry from which you were dug.

Luke 9:35 Then a voice came out of the cloud, saying, “This is My Son, My Chosen One; listen to Him!”

He will give you the power, as needed. But first we need to get to know Him. We need to listen to Him!!"

Jer 2:4 Hear the word of the LORD, O house of Jacob, and all the families of the house of Israel.

Mat 12:29 Jesus answered, “The foremost is, ‘HEAR, O ISRAEL! THE LORD OUR GOD IS ONE LORD;

Too often we all go about wanting things from Him, like power, but we don't first just seek Him and listen to what He says. He is mostly likely going to point that out to us at some point. So what happened in the OP? If a person is not sure, perhaps the go and reason with Him by listening to what He has to say?

Is 1:18 “Come now, and let us reason together,”
Says the LORD, ...

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

God has spoken to me on a couple occasions in my life with power of this Holy Spirit and spared me from some troubles. But that communication is not too often and something I wish was more often. But decades apart.

And it always comes with trials from Satan and they're terrible in my opinion.

Last edited: