Cremation

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
So it hangs on what the Living does with the with the body? Not the dead body itself?
Dead bodies are as dead as a doornail. It is the living who either make the right decisions or the wrong ones. Cremation is connected to the Hindu and Buddhist belief in the transmigration of souls.

"Hinduism is unique among the world's major religions in mandating cremation, called antim-sanskar ("last rite") or antiesthi ("last sacrifice"), as one of the 16 life rituals. Cremation is believed not only to dispose of the body in this life but also to usher the soul into the next world or its rebirth into the next life. Followers of Jainism and Sikhism also strongly prefer cremation, although the doctrines do not strictly require it...

...Orthodox and Conservative Jews adamantly oppose cremation on grounds of biblical and Talmudic rulings...

..Eastern Orthodox Church prohibits cremation because it as a departure from the belief in resurrection...

...The importance and sacrament of the body, as well as the fact that groups that opposed the church advocated cremation, led to the Roman Catholic Church's long-time opposition to cremation, although it wasn't technically against church dogma...

How Cremation Works

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Sheffield, Yorkshire, home of Robin Hood.
robinhood-loxley.weebly.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
So it hangs on what the Living does with the with the body? Not the dead body itself?
I have made my will with strict instruction and bought a grave plot in the local cemetery about 100 yards from where I live.

It takes four people should other members of the family like to avail themselves of it. I will be a short distance away from my parents and paternal grandparents.

Last edited:
Reactions: Taken

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Sheffield, Yorkshire, home of Robin Hood.
robinhood-loxley.weebly.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Dead bodies are as dead as a doornail. It is the living who either make the right decisions or the wrong ones. Cremation is connected to the Hindu and Buddhist belief in the transmigration of souls.

"Hinduism is unique among the world's major religions in mandating cremation, called antim-sanskar ("last rite") or antiesthi ("last sacrifice"), as one of the 16 life rituals. Cremation is believed not only to dispose of the body in this life but also to usher the soul into the next world or its rebirth into the next life. Followers of Jainism and Sikhism also strongly prefer cremation, although the doctrines do not strictly require it...

...Orthodox and Conservative Jews adamantly oppose cremation on grounds of biblical and Talmudic rulings...

..Eastern Orthodox Church prohibits cremation because it as a departure from the belief in resurrection...

...The importance and sacrament of the body, as well as the fact that groups that opposed the church advocated cremation, led to the Roman Catholic Church's long-time opposition to cremation, although it wasn't technically against church dogma...

How Cremation Works
Cremation reminds me of pagan sacrifice, and I do not want to be associated with anything like that in any way shape or form. Thank you very much.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Right. Dust returns to dust. Ashes return to the DUSTBIN.

what of Isaiah 61:3 To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that he might be glorified.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
what of Isaiah 61:3 To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that he might be glorified.
@VictoryinJesus I had never thought of that. Interesting. Although I do appreciate the idea of sowing inherent in burial (1 Cor. 15), the 'ashes' reference there - though probably not about cremation in its primary reference - is interesting. I suppose there is a whole area of thoughts around the idea of various kinds of ashes; cremation ashes, cigarette ash, etc.

My wife's favorite hymn is: "I have been to the altar and witness the Lamb, burned wholly to ashes for me". (I should dig up the whole lyrics.)

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

LC627

May 11, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God can re-create the individual that has been cremated and all that remains is ashes - Just add water, lol. :D:D Ok, I have to stop the cremation jokes lol.

This is just my own personal feelings on the subject - I choose not to be cremated because the idea of my body being burned to nothing but ashes and kept in a jar is kind of weird to me. I don't want to set up on the mantle at home, it's strange. Nor do I want to be spread somewhere. I desire to be buried 6 feet under, just my own preference.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since I see no direct instruction in The Word about cremation...why would a Christian think it is wrong? Look at all those who have died in fires (many Christians as well)...nothing to bury ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. So, if a Christian chooses for various reasons to be cremated rather than buried or placed into a crypt does that suddenly void out their salvation? Flesh and blood will not inherit the Kingdom, but our glorified NEW bodies will, I don't think God needs our rotted corpse to give us new bodies.

"But someone may ask, ‘How are the dead raised? With what kind of body will they come"?

If we sow, we don't plant the body that will be, but just a seed, perhaps of wheat or of something else...So it's supposed to be with the resurrection of the dead. The body that is sown is perishable, it is raised imperishable; it is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory; it is sown in weakness, it is raised in power; it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body." 1 Corinthians 15:35, 37, 42-44

Our bodies will slowly decay and the Resurrection bodies are NOT what we were buried in anyhow. So, since I do plan on cremation, I'd love to hear other's take on this subject.
Thank you and God Bless
nancy
I know many a fine Christian person who has been cremated; some as a matter of ecological concerns. I would definitely consider it. I think the family's wishes should be considered since, as they say, "funerals are for the living."

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I don't see "ashes" here. Just "dust". BIG DIFFERENCE. But then people can find any excuse to justify cremation.

Enoch,

I think you are being picky. In the last Australian summer, large parts of the country were ravaged by bush fires. I dare you to differentiate ashes from dust.

In Eccl 12:7, in the Hebrew 'dust' refers to: Strong's Hebrew 6083: Dust, clay, earth, mud

In John Gill's commentary, he explains:

Ecclesiastes 12:7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was
The body, which is made of dust, and is no other in its present state than dust refined and enlivened; and when the above things take place, mentioned in ( Ecclesiastes 12:6 ) , or at death, it returns to its original earth; it becomes immediately a clod of earth, a lifeless lump of clay, and is then buried in the earth, where it rots, corrupts, and turns into it; which shows the frailty of man, and may serve to humble his pride, as well as proves that death is not an annihilation even of the body.

Oz

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Nancy
So then let us all replace the precise laws of the OT [613?] with the precise laws of the NT. Is that really what the scripture teaches us? Is that what God teaches us?

"He that hath ears to hear, let him hear." Matt 11:15

When we lived out in the country and our beloved pets died I would take my shovel and dig a hole and bury them right on our own land. If we owned our own land any more, would it be a bad thing be buried there like I buried our pets? There are legal requirements involved to establish your own private cemetery, but if you owned the land it might be an alternative to the high prices charged in most places.

I guess a person is not allowed to die these days without that it costs somebody something out of someone's pocketbook. Cremation and burial at sea may be a good alternative to the private cemetery at home. I remember one brother in thee church many years ago had his wife cremated and kept the urn containing her ashes in his bedroom until he died. I don't know what was done with his remains.

My sister's ashes are in my garage! How do you like that?

Her remains were cremated per her wishes, to be buried in the family plot, which we're still waiting for to be able to do.

Good thing I didn't try storing her intact body in my garage!

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
3. "Till thou return to the ground" speaks of burial, and the subsequent break down of the human body into into its chemical components -- carbon, oxygen, hydrogen, nitrogen, sulfur, and all the minor minerals. The gases all disappear, and the chemicals and minerals remain as dust.
Bury, don't bury, the body will eventually return to the ground. For each of my family that their bodies were cremated, all but one have already been returned to the ground, and that one will be soon enough, I imagine!

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
no comment on the subject here, sorry, but i would say that flesh and blood will not inherit the kingdom might also be a clever way to say "it is your spirit that must inherit, preferably today" rather than "our glorified bodies will" I came that you might have life, more abundantly

Aren't both possible? Or more likely probable?

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
why not just say that you are Yah and get it over with?
Where is your temple, that we may come and worship you?
Howbout my garage?

We can go ride dirt bikes afterward.