Critical thinking and education is linked to loss of faith

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Romanov2488

Jul 20, 2022
Charlotte
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Hey Wrangler, you have one coin with a heads and a tails. How many coins do you have?

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Generally, the more religious one is, the less educated they are. Those who happen to be both educated and religious such as theologians, are largely disingenuous and intellectually dishonest-victims of cognitive dissonance and mental gymnastics. They can easily apply their critical thinking skills to all other forms of magical thinking and religious beliefs separate from their own, but fail to apply the same reasoning to their own beliefs. Now of course religious zealots will mention the commonly over-used and stale argument of the Catholic Church being behind most of the world’s scientific advancements and education, but that in itself is a form of post hoc fallacy. Deconstructing is by no means easy, but this lady has done it here after many years of being a Christian:

I recently came across a Facebook post that one of my cousins had made in response to some other post she had read...

Kind of a long way around, to explain, but she had responded to a post that was inviting those interested in combatting the "Deconstruction Movement." -- Personally, I didn't even know that there was such a thing as a deconstruction movement, but apparently it is very concerning and threatening to the church et. al. who feel they must "combat" it. In other words, there are some in the church who think it is there mission to prevent people from thinking.... or from 'wrong-thinking' which they define as thinking 'out loud' about things that make one question the orthodox Christian doctrine and dogma. It's quite paranoid, and quite-telling. Almost like they recognize that many 'beliefs' simply cannot stand up to honest scrutiny.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then why do majority of believers lose their faith as they step into higher levels of education?

Often as simply as peer pressure within these institutions of higher learning. To oppose the group-think within these schools of thought is to face ridicule, scorn, down-grading, -even persecution. You have to go along, to get along. It's essentially intellectual grooming that goes on in such places-- often from kindergarten to college infinity and beyond.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
you think that just because something was your experience, that it must also be the experience of everyone else so long as they are not blind to it.
No. Rather I suggest what I experienced is what billions also have and that is available to you IF you repent.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
I too, have gotten the vibe that he struggles with it. When confronted about it, he defaults to “but epistemology” as a means of moving the goal post. If he were to truly believe that this is purely an epistemic issue, then he would end up with more questions and more uncertainty, but he doesn’t due to his bias.

He says there is no such thing as one that manifesting as two, and that it’s two things instead. If you take a coin with heads and tails, you still have one coin.
I said "you are Elohim"

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Faith and critical thinking don’t mix
i would argue that belief and critical thinking dont, but faith might be a diff story?
Faith is driving down a two lane highway with another coming at you at 65, with only a dbl yellow line to separate you
perhaps

my beliefs are pretty much all crap imo; but my faith is a diff thing
as support i would ref the five diff kinds of belief (OT) but only one kind of faith

Romanov2488

Jul 20, 2022
Charlotte
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
lol..... is that your belief? Have you thought it through? :tearsofjoy:

Romanov2488

Jul 20, 2022
Charlotte
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
No. Rather I suggest what I experienced is what billions also have and that is available to you IF you repent.
And what about the billion others who have experienced totally different? Buddha experienced nirvana by letting go of desire. If you can let go of your desires, you too can experience nirvana.

My experience is that I reached enlightenment after letting go of all my preconceived notions of anything, including enlightenment. Enlightenment is available to you IF you let go.

Why would your experience be more valid than mine and why would mine be more valid than yours?

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Did you actually read the study, or just the headline?

Contrary to what is generally believed, these Christians are just as likely to be religious when they are highly educated as they would be even if they have studied only up to high school. Shockingly, it is the highly educated Christians who are more likely to attend regular church services than Christians with less education.

Did you read that? ^^^^ Do you understand it?

However, it is also true that college graduates are more likely to say they are atheists than those who are not when the population as a whole is considered. This once again brings us back to the basic premise that the higher the education level, the lower the adherence to religion. 11 percent of college graduates identify themselves as non-believers whereas only 4 percent of Americans with only a high-school education say so.

Did you do the math here? ^^^^ That is saying that (according to the study) fully 89% would identify as "believers."

Your study is encouraging.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don’t believe in anything. I don’t believe in God, I don’t believe in science.
It is not possible to not believe in something. You believe there is nothing to believe in.

Most atheists are nihilists as you are. This explains why so many atheists are depressed.

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
Then why do majority of believers lose their faith as they step into higher levels of education?
Why. Because knowledge (Accurate compression) quells the war of belief's they have been using to understand reality.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Are you instincts correct 100% of the time? If not, why think that your instinct of there being a God must be 100% right?
My statement is definitive. It's not up for debate :)
....an addition for its support; all cultures throughout time have understood this even though their imagination of God was/ is portrayed in the image of the deceiver.

Romanov2488

Jul 20, 2022
Charlotte
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
My statement is definitive. It's not up for debate :)
....an addition for its support; all cultures throughout time have understood this even though their imagination of God was/ is portrayed in the image of the deceiver.

If you’re not willing to debate about your statements, how will you ever grow wiser and learn?

Isn’t it a sign of humility when one is willing to debate their own beliefs?

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
If you’re not willing to debate about your statements, how will you ever grow wiser and learn?

Isn’t it a sign of humility when one is willing to debate their own beliefs?
so, one cannot be humble unless one is willing debate?
It is pertinent to recognise when a given is not up for debate.......that is wisdom

Reactions: Wrangler

whitemorning

Nov 18, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In my opinion, education and religion are closely related things. Educated people should know more about religion and vice versa. There are moments when you don't really want to study. Then you should use support original essay help httрs://essayshark.com/ and devote your free time to spiritual development. Going to church or to the pool is very useful for the body and health.

Last edited:

brendagray

May 4, 2023
Atlanta
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
I think that the relationship between critical thinking and faith is a complex and multifaceted issue. On one hand, critical thinking can help individuals question and challenge their beliefs, which can lead to a deeper and more authentic understanding of their faith.

However, I can also see how an overemphasis on critical thinking and rationality can sometimes lead to a loss of faith. In today's society, there is often a tendency to prioritize scientific and empirical evidence over religious or spiritual beliefs, which can create a perceived conflict between faith and reason.

I believe that it's important to strike a balance between critical thinking and faith, and to recognize that both have a place in our lives. Rather than viewing critical thinking as a threat to faith, we can see it as a valuable tool for exploring and deepening our beliefs.

At the same time, we should also acknowledge the limitations of rationality and recognize that faith involves more than just intellectual understanding. Ultimately, I think that finding a healthy and balanced relationship between critical thinking and faith requires openness, humility, and a willingness to engage in thoughtful and respectful dialogue with others.