Critical thinking and education is linked to loss of faith

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
what movie is that? I hear there is a new left behind movie.
huh? did i wander into that movie thread?..no, that movie is prolly a description of "reality," at least after one is "raised to new life in Him," and as for that "left behind" jazz, yeh, dont get me started. "Death, more abundantly" it seems to me anyway

• Love
Reactions: The Learner

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
huh? did i wander into that movie thread?..no, that movie is prolly a description of "reality," at least after one is "raised to new life in Him," and as for that "left behind" jazz, yeh, dont get me started. "Death, more abundantly" it seems to me anyway
Brother, I was trying to make a joke on the 1,000 years word.

Reactions: bbyrd009

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
well, dunno about imaginary, i would understand the intent in The fool has said in his heart "There is no God," which may just mean "you are assuming something as fact that you cannot prove," but yeh religious ppl (which Jesus even clowned) are like the last ones on earth i would goto for Bible understanding
So you think that irreligious people are the experts on religion?

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
not sure religion has much to do with the Bible
What is the Bible about, if not religion?

James 1:27, "Religion that is pure and undefiled before God the Father is this: to care for orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself unstained by the world."

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
What is the Bible about, if not religion?
well, i would ask how much our practical definition of religion has to do with the below, which strikes me as a commentary on it
James 1:27, "Religion that is pure and undefiled before God the Father is this: to care for orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself unstained by the world."
but to respond to your q, i am more interested in the life, more abundantly and the keys to the kingdom part than i am about any possible "death, more abundantly"

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
well, i would ask how much our practical definition of religion has to do with the below, which strikes me as a commentary on it

but to respond to your q, i am more interested in the life, more abundantly and the keys to the kingdom part than i am about any possible "death, more abundantly"
I agree.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then why do majority of believers lose their faith as they step into higher levels of education?
Your basis for saying this is..? Do you really think that the majority of believers lose their faith as they step into higher levels of education? Most Christians that I know have at least a Bachelor's degree; many have post-graduate degrees.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Generally, the more religious one is, the less educated they are. Those who happen to be both educated and religious such as theologians, are largely disingenuous and intellectually dishonest-victims of cognitive dissonance and mental gymnastics. They can easily apply their critical thinking skills to all other forms of magical thinking and religious beliefs separate from their own, but fail to apply the same reasoning to their own beliefs. Now of course religious zealots will mention the commonly over-used and stale argument of the Catholic Church being behind most of the world’s scientific advancements and education, but that in itself is a form of post hoc fallacy. Deconstructing is by no means easy, but this lady has done it here after many years of being a Christian:

See my post #50.

Your statement that "generally, the more religious one is, the less educated they are. Those who happen to be both educated and religious such as theologians, are largely disingenuous and intellectually dishonest-victims of cognitive dissonance and mental gymnastics" to both cynical and untrue.

Why are you so judgmental and negative? Have you been hurt or are you jealous of educated people or ..?

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
LOL. This is nonsense.
oh, i dunno...seems like a whole lotta Jesus literally coming and maybe going, taking some ppl somewhere (a la Apollo, Mercury), stuff like that. 2 Milleniums, Animal Sacrifices reinstated, a literal Third Temple, i mean ive read all of this...stuff on this board, recently

Last edited:

BeyondET

Jul 9, 2022
Hampton Roads
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Theres a tendency to become more conservative with age and more likely to believe in God as a result. For me it’s the opposite, I used to be extremely conservative and I only become more liberal with age. There’s also many people who make it through the hospital without attributing it to God. I get that there’s many things even doctors can’t explain-at least yet but that doesn’t mean it’s automatically God.

Even though this is a Christian forum, it is the non-Christian section.

And I don’t wish that God is not real, nor do I claim that he isn’t. I am only saying that there’s no evidence of one. To steelman your argument, we didn’t have evidence of black holes 2,000 years ago but that doesn’t mean they weren’t there, we eventually found out.

My ultimate position on the existence of God is: I don’t know. How many Christians can you find saying that they don’t know? It takes humility to admit that you don’t know.
You don't have 2,000 years to find out. Don't sit on the fence to long.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
oh, i dunno...seems like a whole lotta Jesus literally coming and maybe going, taking some ppl somewhere (a la Apollo, Mercury), stuff like that. 2 Milleniums, Animal Sacrifices, a literal Third Temple, i mean ive read all of this...stuff on this board, recently
You "dunno" is correct. Christians know.

Hebrews 11:1, "Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen."

Romanov2488

Jul 20, 2022
Charlotte
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
You don't have 2,000 years to find out. Don't sit on the fence to long.
There’s just some things I’ll never know such as what happens after death. No reason to pretend that I do.

Religion is nothing but a coping mechanism to deal with the fear of the unknown.

Last edited:

Romanov2488

Jul 20, 2022
Charlotte
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States

Hebrews 11:1, "Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen."
They don’t know though, they pretend that they know. It’s arrogance. They don’t know what will happen the next hour yet they know what happens after death? How does that make any sense? It doesn’t, because it’s obnoxious.

Romanov2488

Jul 20, 2022
Charlotte
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
See my post #50.

Your statement that "generally, the more religious one is, the less educated they are. Those who happen to be both educated and religious such as theologians, are largely disingenuous and intellectually dishonest-victims of cognitive dissonance and mental gymnastics" to both cynical and untrue.

Why are you so judgmental and negative? Have you been hurt or are you jealous of educated people or ..?
Those are your feelings, not the facts. The facts point to belief in God linked to less education. The statistics/numbers don’t lie. Study after study has been showing this.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country

Christians know…what exactly? While i can agree that there is a thing one might be assured of, it seems to me that most believers are fond of “knowing” things about the future, that they cant possibly really know?

And regardless your inferences, i am nominally a “Christian,” and i dont know

Reactions: amadeus