Critical thinking and education is linked to loss of faith

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
oh, i dunno...seems like a whole lotta Jesus literally coming and maybe going, taking some ppl somewhere (a la Apollo, Mercury), stuff like that. 2 Milleniums, Animal Sacrifices reinstated, a literal Third Temple, i mean ive read all of this...stuff on this board, recently
some others,
“The kingdom of God needs money to advance”
“Its ok if we trash this earth bc Jesus is going to build us a new one”

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Theres a tendency to become more conservative with age and more likely to believe in God as a result. For me it’s the opposite, I used to be extremely conservative and I only become more liberal with age. There’s also many people who make it through the hospital without attributing it to God. I get that there’s many things even doctors can’t explain-at least yet but that doesn’t mean it’s automatically God.

Even though this is a Christian forum, it is the non-Christian section.

And I don’t wish that God is not real, nor do I claim that he isn’t. I am only saying that there’s no evidence of one. To steelman your argument, we didn’t have evidence of black holes 2,000 years ago but that doesn’t mean they weren’t there, we eventually found out.

My ultimate position on the existence of God is: I don’t know. How many Christians can you find saying that they don’t know? It takes humility to admit that you don’t know.
He who says that he knows anything does not yet know it as he ought

most believers die as Esau i think, and few ever get to Jacob’s wrestling with God, let alone discovering what manna (What is it?) really is, or The Pearl, (as you have done), or Israel
21And the twelve gates were twelve pearls, with each gate consisting of a single pearl. The main street of the city was pure gold, as clear as glass.
22But I saw no temple in the city, because the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are its temple.
23And the city has no need of sun or moon to shine on it, because the glory of God illuminates the city, and the Lamb is its lamp.
24By its light the nations will walk, and into it the kings of the earth will bring their glory.f
25Its gates will never be shut at the end of the day, because there will be no night there

so while i can pretty confidently say that Yah does not exist, since that requires “objective evidence,” who can say that He is nonetheless not “real?”

and while i dont know, i suggest that those who goto ppl with snakes on their lapels and give them money for symptom relief have made their spiritual choice, and that they will also goto a religious leader and give them money (that does not go into any storehouse) for their spiritual relief

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
These words clearly state that Christians do know. Being sure of what we hope for. The assurance of things hoped for. The evidence of things not seen.

This has nothing to do with the humility of not knowing. The fact is that Christians do know
well, but how easily does that become a license to hope for things that cannot possibly come to pass?
we do, after all, also have passages that qualify that one, do we not
“your prayers are not answered bc you seek to fulfill your lusts,” etc

Romanov2488

Jul 20, 2022
Charlotte
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
See my post #50.

Your statement that "generally, the more religious one is, the less educated they are. Those who happen to be both educated and religious such as theologians, are largely disingenuous and intellectually dishonest-victims of cognitive dissonance and mental gymnastics" to both cynical and untrue.

Why are you so judgmental and negative? Have you been hurt or are you jealous of educated people or ..?
1675097725741.jpeg

Reactions: bbyrd009

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
I said in July that I do not need a coat. Do you think what I said still applies in January?
then a Quote to that effect should be easy to find, right? In fact, on such a pivotal matter, i would suggest that at least three should be no problem?

but i would settle for one, single Quote to the effect “Yah required a (perfect) sacrifice to make humans acceptable to Him”

Last edited:

Romanov2488

Jul 20, 2022
Charlotte
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
True enough. What do Atheists stand for again?
Critical thinking, skepticism. Do you really think many atheists weren’t devoted Christians at one point, even more so than yourself?

There is such a thing as reasonable disbelief.

Last edited:
Reactions: bbyrd009

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Critical thinking, skepticism.
A vid in the thread I started about the words of Satan was keen to differentiate MEANS from ENDS.

You don’t know what you stand FOR. That is why you frequent a Christian forum.

After all this wonderful Critical thinking and skepticism, where do you END; what do you STAND for?

Reactions: RLT63

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
and wait til they discover that Yah did not need any Sacrifice to make us acceptable to Him!

“Yah required a (perfect) sacrifice to make humans acceptable to Him”
Moving the goalposts from requiring a sacrifice to requiring a perfect sacrifice, eh Waldo?

Regarding the sacrifice needed, Romans 6:23 says it very well. It is a principle throughout the Bible. Consider when Adam and Eve sinned, they famously covered themselves with a fig leaf. However, God himself covered them in animal skin. GE 3:21. It means God himself made the sacrifice for our sins on our behalf from the beginning. Tremendous foreshadowing.

Samaritans were considered atheists to the Hebrews, lets not forget
Not sure where you get that from.

Gottservant

Oct 19, 2022
Greensborough
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Dead concepts, you mean logic and reason? Concepts are tools that help us survive. Dead concepts have done more for us than empty beliefs have.

Science has flown us to the moon, religion has flown us into buildings.

That's harsh. Why make other people's faith, my responsibility?

Science gave us lobotomies and ethnic cleansing.

Reactions: Wrangler

Gottservant

Oct 19, 2022
Greensborough
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Science is a tool that can be used to help or destroy, doesn’t mean it’s inherently bad.
Yes but take Deconstructionism, for example: how can something's meaning be it's opposite? That's what they tried to teach me at uni!

Deconstructionism is a dead concept and there are many like it. Hegel's dialectic, Utilitarianism, Descartes, the Romantic period, the Enlightenment, Marxism, Humanism - all dead, the entire history dead.

Reactions: Wrangler

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They don’t know though, they pretend that they know. It’s arrogance. They don’t know what will happen the next hour yet they know what happens after death? How does that make any sense? It doesn’t, because it’s obnoxious.
You're wrong. Your unbelief is blinding you as it did me -- once.

Christians know, as the verse I posted from Hebrews clearly shows you. We know, you don't. It's as simple as that.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christians know…what exactly? While i can agree that there is a thing one might be assured of, it seems to me that most believers are fond of “knowing” things about the future, that they cant possibly really know?

And regardless your inferences, i am nominally a “Christian,” and i dont know
If you don't know that God is real, Jesus is real, the Holy Spirit is real, faith is real, the Bible is the words of God, that you are saved and have eternal life and other facts, then IMHO you're not really a Christian.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dead concepts, you mean logic and reason?
Atheism is a dead concept that abandon's logic and reason to explain the world around us. The atheist explanations for the origins of the universe, life, and the informational content encoded in DNA are absurd. Something from nothing! I is a atheist and go by reason and evidence (except for when I don't).