Crucified life

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have yet to find a verse that says we are to crucify yourselves. A popular saying at one time, if not still, was; we must die to some particular sin that beset us. As often as quoted I never found any verse that said we were to do such. Just wondering your thoughts and have you found anything about you having to crucify yourselves?

D

Dave L

I have yet to find a verse that says we are to crucify yourselves. A popular saying at one time, if not still, was; we must die to some particular sin that beset us. As often as quoted I never found any verse that said we were to do such. Just wondering your thoughts and have you found anything about you having to crucify yourselves?
“Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.” (Romans 6:11)???

Reactions: soul man

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Gal. 5:24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.

There is a problem with the translations in this verse. The Greek does not imply that we are to crucify ourselves

It goes like...."have had their flesh crucified"

One can only enter into Christ after the experience of the cross and the power that separates us from the things of this world and the old sin nature.

There is another level to this...like when Jesus said...

Mat. 16:24 Then Jesus told his disciples, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. 25 For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. 26 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what shall a man give in return for his soul?

This is our part of the covenant. The willingness to allow God to operate on us. As we are willing to forsake our own lives...God saves us and brings both the death and the life of Jesus to rest on us.

Reactions: Nancy and soul man

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

I think a more positive slant on this is the verse which says we ARE crucified with Christ suggesting that we are whether we like it or not.

Knowing that, we have to work out just what that means as in dead to self and alive unto God.

The answer to questions of this kind often only come by revelation through the Holy Spirit.

Reactions: soul man

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes that is my understanding as well! We were crucified with Christ on the cross. As far as sins of the flesh seems most on going believers will go through the kenosis of self emptying of: selfishness, self gratification, self esteem and so on. That is my understanding anyway and most of that will depend on the yielding of the believer to the HolySpirit. What I mean by that is if a believer is still locked into the world of these things they cannot go through the kenosis that is necessary to put away selffish things. Their mind is not for others, their mind is in self gratification. The world is a schoolhouse and teachs the believer it is no longer they that lives but Christ alive in them.