culling

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, is God just trying to cull humanity? Sorting out the losers from the winners......the righteous from the malicious, manical sinners........fans from the practitioners?

what i see is a constant drumbeat: a sort of call - a rally........a self righteous expectation that all people should be saved!!

Yet, i am failing to see what all the hoopla is really about.

I think Christianity is a call to love perfectly, like Christ, but this idea seems to be perceived as "fluffy". "ear tickling". "easy grace".

"easy grace" is a worse redundancy than the term "free gift"

God is not trying to keep us from Heaven; He is constantly showing us the enterance.

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
aspen said:
So, is God just trying to cull humanity? Sorting out the losers from the winners......the righteous from the malicious, manical sinners........fans from the practitioners?

what i see is a constant drumbeat: a sort of call - a rally........a self righteous expectation that all people should be saved!!

I think Christianity is a call to love perfectly, like Christ, but this idea seems to be perceived as "fluffy". "ear tickling". "easy grace".

God is not trying to keep us from Heaven; He is constantly showing us the enterance.
God has a plan, has from before creation. It will happen in HIS time frame, not ours and only He knows when the next age will happen or start.
God is not willing that ANY should perish, but that ALL should be saved, but that does not mean ALL will. God's desire as we know, is not always fulfilled in His creation and creatures.
Our call is to love and listen to Christ. That is the hardest thing in life to do. There is nothing easy about working out our salvation.
We are not going to spend eternity with God in heaven. The Kingdom of Heaven is within us and our future is Eternal Life in the New Earth.

This Vale Of Tears

Indian Papist
Jun 13, 2013
Idaho
aspen said:
God is not trying to keep us from Heaven; He is constantly showing us the entrance.
I absolutely agree and have made this argument repeatedly, how God is working in the lives of every person to bring them into a loving relationship with him that will extend into eternity. Debates over who's "saved" and who's not based on arbitrary standards and strainers of technicalities bypasses the truth about God, that he is "the Hound of Heaven", working passionately to woo people to him so that they too can be changed by his perfect love. Nobody is going to miss heaven because of a technicality, an error in belief, or a failure to conform to an expected format of conversion. Though to hear some Christians speak, you'd think God is a shrewd lawyer making inscrutable and inaccessible the path to salvation. It just isn't so.

Reactions: aspen

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, or a professor only interested in getting rid of the bottom 60%

Liquid Psalm

Jul 6, 2014
So, God plays favorites among the creation he knew before the womb?Having predestined our lives for his glory and according to his will, power, and authority to do so? As an omniscient, omnipresent, omnigenetic, omnibenevolent mono-deity?

And we're his favorites?
Is that it?
aspen said:

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Liquid Psalm said:
So, God plays favorites among the creation he knew before the womb?Having predestined our lives for his glory and according to his will, power, and authority to do so? As an omniscient, omnipresent, omnigenetic, omnibenevolent mono-deity?

And we're his favorites?
Is that it?
Every human is predestined. We are all His favorites.

This Vale Of Tears

Indian Papist
Jun 13, 2013
Idaho
StanJ said:
JUST noticed your signature....love Margaret Becker, or at least did when she was writing and releasing CD's
My love of Christian music goes way back to the days before it all became corporatized. Many of my favorite songs are at least 20 years old.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
This Vale Of Tears said:
My love of Christian music goes way back to the days before it all became corporatized. Many of my favorite songs are at least 20 years old.
LOL, hate to be the bearer of bad news, but ALL record producers are incorporated. No smart business person is going to put their own neck on the line.

Today all records companies are owned by big multinational conglomerates. I still buy what is good, regardless of who owns the company.
It's like people saying they won't buy a Bible because the publishers are owned by Fox Entertainment Group.

This Vale Of Tears

Indian Papist
Jun 13, 2013
Idaho
StanJ said:
LOL, hate to be the bearer of bad news, but ALL record producers are incorporated. No smart business person is going to put their own neck on the line.

Today all records companies are owned by big multinational conglomerates. I still buy what is good, regardless of who owns the company.
It's like people saying they won't buy a Bible because the publishers are owned by Fox Entertainment Group.
Yes, that's what I meant, the multinational conglomerates. Nowadays the walls are high for any new CCM artist. You ever wonder when you listen to Christian radio why some songs are played with nauseating repetition while others you rarely hear, or why songs disappear after a few years never to be heard of again? These decisions are made by corporations, not KLOVE, and we are ultimately spoon fed whatever they decide we can hear by contractual premeditation.

My playlists go WAY BACK to Keith Green, David Meece, Billy Sprague, and the early Michael W. Smith and Amy Grant albums, the late 80's and early 90's when I was a teenager getting into this kind of music. Ever hear Eric Champion's music on KLOVE? How about Out Of The Grey's? It's truly sad what CCM has become, so I hark back to the good old days.

RANDOR

Fishin Everyday
Apr 13, 2014
HEAVEN
This Vale Of Tears said:
Yes, that's what I meant, the multinational conglomerates. Nowadays the walls are high for any new CCM artist. You ever wonder when you listen to Christian radio why some songs are played with nauseating repetition while others you rarely hear, or why songs disappear after a few years never to be heard of again? These decisions are made by corporations, not KLOVE, and we are ultimately spoon fed whatever they decide we can hear by contractual premeditation.

My playlists go WAY BACK to Keith Green, David Meece, Billy Sprague, and the early Michael W. Smith and Amy Grant albums, the late 80's and early 90's when I was a teenager getting into this kind of music. Ever hear Eric Champion's music on KLOVE? How about Out Of The Grey's? It's truly sad what CCM has become, so I hark back to the good old days.
Yes, I remember those days......wow!!!!!!!!!!! what music. Hope ya don't mind.....but I copied and pasted a section of my book which came out in February....this was before I came to Christ.....this chapter was called "God Desperately Warning" this is in this chapter....

::::::::My crew was working in a neighboring town about an hour-and-a-half from where we lived. We were constructing new custom homes, and every afternoon at quitting time we entered into this ritual we had become accustomed to, rewarding ourselves for a good hard day’s work. The ritual? We purchased a case of beer and divided it up between the four of us for the long ride home. Even when we got home, we never called it a day. We headed straight to our preferred bar to shoot some pool and order more drinks until we found ourselves there until late into the evening. We repeated this the following day, day after day.
One day, however, when the foreman said “Roll it up--let’s get out of here,” this ritual took a different twist. We had our case of beer and were soaring down the road with the radio blasting. Within minutes, we would all be back into town. Just then, we all got quiet and focused our attention on the captivating music coming through our factory truck speakers. Our conversations had stopped and we were all at the same time caught up into this piece of music. We had front row seats at Beethoven’s Ninth Symphony!
“Turn that up!” someone yelled from the back. As we drove along and the music came to an end, we all looked at each other, shook our heads, and said, “What was that? That was something else!” More music came on the radio. We listened for a minute, and bam! Another great musical piece had us all going at it again. As we were getting closer to our city the radio signal started fading, and since we didn’t want to lose this song or the station, we all screamed at the driver, “Turn this truck around!” We headed back and kept partying to songs we had never heard before.
One guy asked, “Are we still on planet Earth? I mean, this music is fantastic.” This one-hour drive turned into three hours, and none of us realized we had bumped the radio to a Christian station playing Sheila Walsh’s greatest hits. Walsh is a Scottish-born Christian singer and songwriter, and I guess we had never heard anything like her before. Years later everyone remembered that night and the affect it had on us all. Today, some even know who Sheila Walsh is.::::::::

Oh..forgot to mention...it took me 7 months to complete the book...and i had to go online and go back into the eighties for the music to listen to, to get in the mood at that time of era :)

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
This Vale Of Tears said:

Seems EVERYTHING about you is stuck in that time warp. There is a lot of great CCM today, as my kids will attest to. It's not all for me but I sure don't discount it's effectiveness or usefulness. BTW, radio is still governed the way it has been for decades, what is listened to. It doesn't matter if it is Christian or non, the ratings are what count.

This Vale Of Tears

Indian Papist
Jun 13, 2013
Idaho
StanJ said:
Seems EVERYTHING about you is stuck in that time warp. There is a lot of great CCM today, as my kids will attest to. It's not all for me but I sure don't discount it's effectiveness or usefulness. BTW, radio is still governed the way it has been for decades, what is listened to. It doesn't matter if it is Christian or non, the ratings are what count.
I thought we were having a conversation, but you decided it was an opportunity for another insult. You really don't have an off switch, do you? Doesn't matter, I'm through discussing this with you.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
This Vale Of Tears said:
I thought we were having a conversation, but you decided it was an opportunity for another insult. You really don't have an off switch, do you? Doesn't matter, I'm through discussing this with you.
We were, until you had to make it all about your personal preferences.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
This Vale Of Tears said:
And that gave you the go ahead? You really can be a jerk sometimes, Stan.
I do have that effect on pious & self righteous people. You see I don't hide behind anonymous usernames and religious ikons.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think the Christian industry started making significant money in the seventies - Amy Grants first husband was a casualty of it. There was a time when authors and comedians were not even questioned as long as they could make the industry money - Mike Wernike, the late great planet earth guy, frank peretti were the products - poor quality and immorality were common place.