Death penalty.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do you think there should be a death penalty?

• Yes

Votes: 31 62.0%
  • No

Votes: 16 32.0%
  • Unsure

Votes: 3 6.0%

• Total voters

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
YOU PEOPLE THAT DEMAND THE DEATH PENALTY ARE NOT CHILDREN OF CHRIST

IT MAKES U FEEL RIGHTEOUS TO POINT AND SAY "LOOK AT THE BAD GUY, I'M BETTER THAN HIM"

GOD FORGIVES BUT U GUYS THINK U ARE BETTER THAN GOD

Stop judging others. No one said that so stuff it. There is stil punishments for sins and if God disciplines His children why should a criminal who murder in heinous ways escape punishment and even if they repent the punishment must still be paid, period. You act like a hypocrite, thinking God changes so that now the DP is gone. God doesn't change and He gave man the DP weather we like it or not. Your as bad as the rioters going through the streets

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Stop judging others. No one said that so stuff it. There is stil punishments for sins and if God disciplines His children why should a criminal who murder in heinous ways escape punishment and even if they repent the punishment must still be paid, period. You act like a hypocrite, thinking God changes so that now the DP is gone. God doesn't change and He gave man the DP weather we like it or not. Your as bad as the rioters going through the streets
Yes, For the wages of sin is death....what was that husband and wife who lied about how much they gave? The husband fell over dead and then his wife?

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Acts 5
1. But a man named Ananias, with the consent of his wife Sapphira, sold a piece of property; 2with his wife’s knowledge, he kept back some of the proceeds, and brought only a part and laid it at the apostles’ feet. 3“Ananias,” Peter asked, “why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and to keep back part of the proceeds of the land? 4While it remained unsold, did it not remain your own? And after it was sold, were not the proceeds at your disposal? How is it that you have contrived this deed in your heart? You did not lie to us but to God!” 5Now when Ananias heard these words, he fell down and died. And great fear seized all who heard of it. 6The young men came and wrapped up his body, then carried him out and buried him. 7After an interval of about three hours his wife came in, not knowing what had happened. 8Peter said to her, “Tell me whether you and your husband sold the land for such and such a price.” And she said, “Yes, that was the price.” 9Then Peter said to her, “How is it that you have agreed together to put the Spirit of the Lord to the test? Look, the feet of those who have buried your husband are at the door, and they will carry you out.” 10Immediately she fell down at his feet and died. When the young men came in they found her dead, so they carried her out and buried her beside her husband. 11And great fear seized the whole church and all who heard of these things.

Reactions: Bobby Jo

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
That is unfortunate. The leaders need to lead, they may be deficient in that area.

This list is from 2018, I don't know if any other countries have got rid of the death penalty since then. Mapped: The 53 places that still have the death penalty – including Japan

The 53 countries that have the death penalty
  1. Afghanistan
  2. India
  3. Nigeria
  4. US
  5. Iran
  6. Japan
  7. Taiwan
  8. Kuwait
  9. Zimbabwe
  10. Libya
  11. Thailand
  12. Guyana
  13. Uganda
  14. Bangladesh
  15. Iraq
  16. Indonesia
  17. Botswana
  18. UAE
  19. Bahamas
  20. Cuba
  21. Belarus
  22. Yemen
  23. Saudi Arabia
  24. Vietnam
  25. Syria
  26. Egypt
  27. South Sudan
  28. DRC
  29. Ethiopia
  30. China
  31. Sudan
  32. Comoros
  33. Somalia
  34. Barbados
  35. Malaysia
  36. Chad
  37. Pakistan
  38. Oman
  39. Singapore
  40. St Kitts and Nevis
  41. St Lucia
  42. Bahrain
  43. North Korea
  44. Equatorial Guinea
  45. St Vincent and the Grenadines
  46. Palestinian territories
  47. Trinidad and Tobago
  48. Lesotho
  49. Antigua and Barbuda
  50. Belize
  51. Dominica
  52. Jamaica
  53. Jordan

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This list is from 2018, I don't know if any other countries have got rid of the death penalty since then. Mapped: The 53 places that still have the death penalty – including Japan

The 53 countries that have the death penalty
  1. Afghanistan
  2. India
  3. Nigeria
  4. US
  5. Iran
  6. Japan
  7. Taiwan
  8. Kuwait
  9. Zimbabwe
  10. Libya
  11. Thailand
  12. Guyana
  13. Uganda
  14. Bangladesh
  15. Iraq
  16. Indonesia
  17. Botswana
  18. UAE
  19. Bahamas
  20. Cuba
  21. Belarus
  22. Yemen
  23. Saudi Arabia
  24. Vietnam
  25. Syria
  26. Egypt
  27. South Sudan
  28. DRC
  29. Ethiopia
  30. China
  31. Sudan
  32. Comoros
  33. Somalia
  34. Barbados
  35. Malaysia
  36. Chad
  37. Pakistan
  38. Oman
  39. Singapore
  40. St Kitts and Nevis
  41. St Lucia
  42. Bahrain
  43. North Korea
  44. Equatorial Guinea
  45. St Vincent and the Grenadines
  46. Palestinian territories
  47. Trinidad and Tobago
  48. Lesotho
  49. Antigua and Barbuda
  50. Belize
  51. Dominica
  52. Jamaica
  53. Jordan
We do but only in some states...it's a state by state option.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Should there be a death penalty Yes or No?

As a son of a someone who used to work as a prison chaplain, I don't agree with the death penalty. I believe they too are human beings, they too can be saved, some are genuinely repentant in countries that still have the death penalty, and they are still put to death, the Bali 9 in Indonesia was a good example, Andrew Chan was a genuinely changed man, repentant, he turned to Jesus and deserved a second chance. But even though he significantly changed and was helping other prisoners, he still got put to death.

Found this arcticle.

https://www.christiantoday.com/arti....work.on.the.cross.shane.claiborne/134887.htm
Obviously the Bible does condone the death penalty....as was custom...criminals were hung on the cross to die.
It has always existed throughout history...hanging was the main method in the wild west days.

Last edited:

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I shouldn't have responded with that hostile post. Sadness turned into anger
Your as bad as the rioters going through the streets
That has nothing to do with the death penalty.
Stop judging others.
You were judging people with the death penalty.
I was judging ur judgement which I feel bad about now cos I do try not to judge.
why should a criminal who murder in heinous ways escape punishment and even if they repent the punishment must still be paid, period.
I never said there shouldn't be any punishment. Im just against the death penalty.
You act like a hypocrite
Do u even know what "hypocrite" means...
It's when you criticize someone for doing something that you do yourself
Eg - U told me not to judge people when in fact you are doing the same
thinking God changes so that now the DP is gone. God doesn't change and He gave man the DP weather we like it or not
But that is Jewish law. The NT doesn't tell us to use capital punishment.
Would Jesus approve of the death penalty? No way

1/ There is only justice for those that can afford it. Defence barristers are expensive
Heaps of innocent people are in prison simply because they couldn't afford the legal costs and heaps of guilty people walk free because they had money.

2/ U pay the barrister $30,000, he'll pass $10,000 to the prosecutor and/or judge and the problem disappears.
Iv seen identical cases with different outcomes cos of money.
M
y sisters ex partner was a defence barrister and he told me how it all works.

The justice system isn't regulated as it should be leaving the door wide open for corruption.

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Have you read the Bible?

We are Christians, we do not follow the Jewish law.
The new testament doesn't tell us to kill people who kill people.
What would Jesus want?

The teachers of the law and the Pharisees brought in a woman caught in adultery. They made her stand before the group and said to Jesus, “Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery. In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women.Now what do you say?” They were using this question as a trap,in order to have a basis for accusing him.
But Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger. When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, “Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.” John 8:3-7

Jesus, most of the Apostles, and most of the early martyrs of the faith were victims of inconsistent justice systems that allowed for capital punishment.

Do u trust our justice system to carry out capital punishment in a justified way, free of any bias and corruption?

Reactions: Josho

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What would Jesus want?

The teachers of the law and the Pharisees brought in a woman caught in adultery. They made her stand before the group and said to Jesus, “Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery. In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women.Now what do you say?” They were using this question as a trap,in order to have a basis for accusing him.
But Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger. When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, “Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.” John 8:3-7

Jesus, most of the Apostles, and most of the early martyrs of the faith were victims of inconsistent justice systems that allowed for capital punishment.

Do u trust our justice system to carry out capital punishment in a justified way, free of any bias and corruption?
I lost loved ones because of Timothy McVeigh....I am thankful he was given the death sentence.

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of course. "The law" is filled with lying, murdering lawyers that HATE Jesus.

Actually, the Church is filled with "lying, murdering*" members and leadership that hate Jesus. Afterall, who was it that ARRESTED JESUS, and so is it ANY SURPRISE that these same Sadducees and Pharisees run our "Religious" organizations and fellowships?

Yeah.

* Matt. 5:21 “You have heard that it was said to the men of old, ‘You shall not kill; and whoever kills shall be liable to judgment.’ 22 But I say to you that every one who is angry with his brother shall be liable to judgment ...

Randy Kluth said:
... nothing is clear ... speculation ... civil war... drama queen ... hatred ... cotton candy ...

Bobby Jo

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I lost loved ones because of Timothy McVeigh....I am thankful he was given the death sentence.

Sometimes people's emotions cloud their reasoning. It was true with the Captain of the U.S.S. Indianapolis, and it's still true with human nature. So where Timothy McVeigh was the fall guy who EVERYONE was told was the "mastermind" of the plot, NOBODY was told that the Government was setting him up while they planned, coordinated, and executed that destruction.

-- The CIA virtually never PERSONALLY executes an operation. Their modus operandi is to use others while they stand behind the scenes, scheming and conducting.

Welcome to the Real World.
Bobby Jo

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What would Jesus want?

We are taught to forgive in the NT.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sometimes people's emotions cloud their reasoning. It was true with the Captain of the U.S.S. Indianapolis, and it's still true with human nature. So where Timothy McVeigh was the fall guy who EVERYONE was told was the "mastermind" of the plot, NOBODY was told that the Government was setting him up while they planned, coordinated, and executed that destruction.

-- The CIA virtually never PERSONALLY executes an operation. Their modus operandi is to use others while they stand behind the scenes, scheming and conducting.

Welcome to the Real World.
I am not naive...but I was very young in my spiritual walk when it happened...so I am definitely guilty of being biased...based on my personal feelings.

Reactions: Bobby Jo

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are taught to forgive in the NT.

... the Government isn't in the "forgiveness business". And we're under the Government which GOD gave authority to. They're in the "best for society" business.

Bobby Jo