Did Jesus die the Second Death?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now there is much in the Bible about going to the grave when you die, but this is just the death appointed to all.
Hebrews 9:27
And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:

But we have in the scripture what is the the second death which is the penalty for sin...
Revelation 20:6
Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.

Did Christ die the second death on the cross, and can you give Biblical backing for this.

• Love
Reactions: Cassandra

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Reader,

The "second death"..... is to die separated from God, not born again, and die.

How to understand this...

"in Adam, we all die"... = our body is "dead because of sin" and our spirit is separated from God because of sin.

God is Eternal LIFE, and when we are separated from this, then that is "death"...... "Spiritual separation from God'" or not having the Eternal LIFE that is found = "IN Christ'.

Jesus said..."""""All that believe in me, i give unto you... ETERNAL LIFE... and you shall never go to Hell, (perish)."""""

See that life?

= "ETERNAL LIFE"... is God's Spiritual LIFE<..... and when we are re-joined to God by being BORN AGAIN... = Spiritually, then we have left "spiritual death" and have entered into God's Eternal life, as a "new Creation", "born again"... "in Christ"...as "one with God".

So, the 2nd Death, is ... to remain in spiritual separation that is the 1st Death.......and this happens if you die, not born again.
You are now forever separated from God, spiritually, = and that is Eternal, or as the NT defines it... the "second death".

This is : Damnation.

Its this verse continuing on the UNBELIEVER after they die...., because they were never born again while they were alive.

John 3:36

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ignorant Bible question. Jesus is GOD. Every true Christian knows that. And the "second death" is ONLY for the wicked. Anyone who reads their New Testament knows that too.

Reactions: amigo de christo

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When Jesus had his victory all things where place beneath him; the last enemy being death. I equate it to Jesus overcoming physical death, and spiritual death.

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now there is much in the Bible about going to the grave when you die, but this is just the death appointed to all.

But we have in the scripture what is the the second death which is the penalty for sin...
Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.

Did Christ die the second death on the cross, and can you give Biblical backing for this.
Can God sin?

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Decent question. I think the answer is a no, for Yahshua on partaking of the 2nd death, for himself or for us.

Many gloss over the meaning of the 1st death and resurrection in scripture.

I believe the understanding of the '1st death and resurrection' is the important question for your thread. And those that disagree with my assessment will shout out loudly because it will upset their eschatology etc.

If one is truly converted, born again in (renewed with new spiritual seed) spirit into the Father and the Son, by one's faith, then we have already have been through the 1st death AND resurrection, WITH Yahshua the Christ, when he physically died and was resurrected to new life by his Father.

And so we are not subject to a 2nd death and resurrection, as Yahshua is not subject to of course.

We will die the 1st death (physical body and spirit separated), only once, as an unavoidable process for the end of this mortal life, and it is not meant to be a significant event, if we are in Christ. Although today whilst we live here on this earth, our spirit, because we have partaken of Christ's 1st and the last resurrection will instantly remain alive with Christ after we die. Although whether it, our spirit will inhabit a vessel or body designed for the heaven's domain, at the point of this death is yet unknown.

Reactions: rwb

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe Jesus overcame the second death.
He did , he overcame. Now all who do believe IN HIM have overcome the second death . THEY have eternal life in JESUS CHRIST .
BUT WOE wail to those who DENY HIM as CHRIST , for they will indeed face the second death and much wailing will ensue .
The lake of great fire is prepared for all who loved a lie and rejected the love of the truth whereby they could have been saved .
ITS REAL . And its time we point to The DIRE NEED TO HAVE BELIEVED ON JESUS CHRIST .
ITS HIGH TIME we offer up the world the REAL HOPE and not rather a false hope that simply will not save them nor spare
them from the second death lake of fire . TIME to preach JESUS CHRIST for inclusivity shall save none and will damn
all who partook of its false love and false hope and thus preached a false love and offered up a false hope to the lost .
JESUS SAVES , all else GRAVES . And its about HIGH TIME WE GET BACK TO PREACHING on the DIRE NEED TO BELIEVE ON
JESUS CHRIST and be sure its not another jesus or other gospel we be hoping in and causing others to hope in it too .
Cause it wont bode well for those who did reject the love of the truth . Far worse will it be
for those who IN HIS NAME , they used HIS NAME to decieve others into the inclusive universal lie .
THERE are levels of damnation and the greatest level of damanation belongs to WOLVES IN WOOL
who used JESUS NAME TO DECIEVE . Phew wee , WE BESS GET BACK TO PREACHING JESUS CHRIST
and HIM CRUCIFIED . and fast too , while there still be time to do so .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He did , he overcame. Now all who do believe IN HIM have overcome the second death . THEY have eternal life in JESUS CHRIST .
BUT WOE wail to those who DENY HIM as CHRIST , for they will indeed face the second death and much wailing will ensue .
The lake of great fire is prepared for all who loved a lie and rejected the love of the truth whereby they could have been saved .
ITS REAL . And its time we point to The DIRE NEED TO HAVE BELIEVED ON JESUS CHRIST .
ITS HIGH TIME we offer up the world the REAL HOPE and not rather a false hope that simply will not save them nor spare
them from the second death lake of fire . TIME to preach JESUS CHRIST for inclusivity shall save none and will damn
all who partook of its false love and false hope and thus preached a false love and offered up a false hope to the lost .
JESUS SAVES , all else GRAVES . And its about HIGH TIME WE GET BACK TO PREACHING on the DIRE NEED TO BELIEVE ON
JESUS CHRIST and be sure its not another jesus or other gospel we be hoping in and causing others to hope in it too .
Cause it wont bode well for those who did reject the love of the truth . Far worse will it be
for those who IN HIS NAME , they used HIS NAME to decieve others into the inclusive universal lie .
THERE are levels of damnation and the greatest level of damanation belongs to WOLVES IN WOOL
who used JESUS NAME TO DECIEVE . Phew wee , WE BESS GET BACK TO PREACHING JESUS CHRIST
and HIM CRUCIFIED . and fast too , while there still be time to do so .
The question that was asked in the OP is:

"Did Christ die the second death on the cross, and can you give Biblical backing for this."

You said that Christ overcame the 2nd death, and of course he did. Did he then participate or experience the 2nd death on the Cross?! Absolutely not as he lives. If he did he would be 'dead.' never to arise...as we would be also the same

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe Jesus was spiritually separated from Yahava when Christ left within him. He died a sinners death for never sinning. Went to sheol and Yahava raised him back up from the dead three days later. Overcoming not only normal death, but also spiritual death, because normal death couldnt hold him. And neither could spiritual death hold him down, as Yahava brought him back up, and he was now the only begotten son of God.

My God, My God why have you forsaken me.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe Jesus was spiritually separated from Yahava when Christ left within him. He died a sinners death for never sinning. Went to sheol and Yahava raised him back up from the dead three days later. Overcoming not only normal death, but also spiritual death, because normal death couldnt hold him. And neither could spiritual death hold him down, as Yahava brought him back up, and he was now the only begotten son of God.

partially true . but remember this , Ye cannot seperate the SPIRIT OF GOD from GOD . its not like THE SPIRIT DIED .
the body did . not the SPIRIT . JESUS went to work in sheol . The body above ground was phyciall dead .
as JESUS WORKED below in prison . THEN Take note of this also .
IT is written that GOD RAISED HIM FROM THE DEAD . HE DID .
JESUS also said I HAVE THE POWER TO LAY IT DOWN and I HAVE THE POWER TO RAISE IT UP AGAIN .
PRETTY neat huh . kinda proves something dont it . and thomas learned real fast , AFTER SEEING HIM ALIVE AGAIN
what that was . As he fell to his knees and said the words that PISS THIS ALL INCLUISIVE GENERATION OFF ,
MY LORD AND MY GOD . YEAH . and ps , JESUS DIDNT REBUKE THOMAS BY SAYING HEY GET UP ON THY FEET
i am a man as ye are . TIME WE PREACH JESUS CHRIST and offer up NO OTHER HOPE to this ol world .
WHY , cause THERE IS NO OTHER HOPE BUT JESUS CHRIST .

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Jesus was God.

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And? The fleshly part of Jesus was not. There was something he didnt know only his Father to express in due time.
I have no idea what tradition you follow. Thinking Jesus being a divine man in flesh makes no difference is not consistent with scripture nor the power of God.

God begat himself upon Mary. Gods power manifest in flesh.

Reactions: Davy

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have no idea what tradition you follow. Thinking Jesus being a divine man in flesh makes no difference is not consistent with scripture nor the power of God.

God begat himself upon Mary. Gods power manifest in flesh.
And the fleshly part of Yeshua, was the fleshly part of Yeshua. It was the Holy Spirit that overshadowed Mary, in which she conceived.

Last edited:

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God is spirit. Yeshua said that his words are spirit and life. The spirit gives life, the flesh profits nothing. I would agree that today people by the holy spirit and the spirit of Christ within them all have attributes of the Spirit. However the flesh and the spirit wars against one another. Another reason why there is a need to point out the fleshly side of the Lord which does get swept under the rug a lot of the times. Just as Yeshua abided in his Father, and his Father in him, Yeshua told his chosen disciples to abide in him because for without him one can do nothing. Therefore the spirit is needed to overcome and override the fleshly desires - which can also be helped by renewing the mind and reading the scriptures which helps with the renewing of ones mind towards spiritual things rather than the flesh. Though everyone has their own lives to live, be it married, or single, some with big families, some with small families, some with no family at all, however there is the spiritual family that is of God, being adopted as his children by the spirit, given the power to become sons and or daughters of God, walking in faith, and walking in step with the spirit.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God is spirit. Yeshua said that his words are spirit and life. The spirit gives life, the flesh profits nothing. I would agree that today people by the holy spirit and the spirit of Christ within them all have attributes of the Spirit. However the flesh and the spirit wars against one another. Another reason why there is a need to point out the fleshly side of the Lord which does get swept under the rug a lot of the times. Just as Yeshua abided in his Father, and his Father in him, Yeshua told his chosen disciples to abide in him because for without him one can do nothing. Therefore the spirit is needed to overcome and override the fleshly desires - which can also be helped by renewing the mind and reading the scriptures which helps with the renewing of ones mind towards spiritual things rather than the flesh. Though everyone has their own lives to live, be it married, or single, some with big families, some with small families, some with no family at all, however there is the spiritual family that is of God, being adopted as his children by the spirit, given the power to become sons and or daughters of God, walking in faith, and walking in step with the spirit.
1698517529312.png
Remember this picture well the next time so called church members try and put the FOCUS on the rights of men TO DO SIN
Cause that aint gonna bode well either . Today many churches under guise of false love and tolerance
have become centered on teaching about OUR RIGHTS , and these rights sure seem to be HONORING SIN .
GUESS what , you think that child is in danger , THE SECOND DEATH IS FAR WORSE than the simple dying of the body .

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think you are to severe on your look about the Second death. Perhaps the second death is more like a dying to self, in the heavenly while going towards God who is a consuming fire, that just consumes the darkness out of those who are lost outside of the Kingdom. However, maybe I am wrong about it all together, @amigo de christo. And God will demolish and set people on fire and say bye bye as he closes their eyes one last time, with a smile on his face, all for his glory, not to say he did not already justifiably do this with the Roman army in 70AD. I don't think he was joyful about it however it was on the nation of Israel for their choice and thus the wrath of God was poured out among them, and 1,000,000 people of the Jewish nation died, and it ended them all together forever as a material nation. Establishing the new spiritual heavenly kingdom, for those who are faith to come to now, due to it being established because of the first church bride which was taken up then in that day. Praise be to Yahava, and the Son Yeshua.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I love how people love to harp and harp on sin. Sin was paid for, it's time to love God and love our neighbor as our self. When they suggest to go do something evil, we shun those things, in love and kindness, sometimes if your a dad or mom you gotta get serious with your kids. All I know that exists is sex, drugs, rock n roll, drink, food, and people of course. Gotta love our neighbor as ourself, to point them in a better direction but to put God first, in their life.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think you are to severe on your look about the Second death. Perhaps the second death is more like a dying to self, in the heavenly while going towards God who is a consuming fire, that just consumes the darkness out of those who are lost outside of the Kingdom. However, maybe I am wrong about it all together, @amigo de christo. And God will demolish and set people on fire and say bye bye as he closes their eyes one last time, with a smile on his face, all for his glory, not to say he did not already justifiably do this with the Roman army in 70AD. I don't think he was joyful about it however it was on the nation of Israel for their choice and thus the wrath of God was poured out among them, and 1,000,000 people of the Jewish nation died, and it ended them all together forever as a material nation. Establishing the new spiritual heavenly kingdom, for those who are faith to come to now, due to it being established because of the first church bride which was taken up then in that day. Praise be to Yahava, and the Son Yeshua.
It aint dying to self . The second death aint appointed UNTO BELIEVERS and BELIEVERS DIE TO SELF .
ITS APPOINTED unto those WHO BELIEVED NOT . your reasoning has led you far from the truth mathew .
You gotta flee this universal inclusive preterist mindset and fast . You are seeing things that are VERY CONTRARY TO SCRIPTURE my friend .
THE lake of fire is for those who REJECTED CHRIST JESUS , not for those who believed in HIM .
In this life we do experience fiery trials . BUT THAT IS NOT THE LAKE OF FIRE PREPARED FOR THE DEVIL and his angels
and all who rejected CHRIST . Yall are believing things VERY contrary to the simple and plain truth .