Did people receive the Holy Spirit and speak in tongues? Or did they speak in tongues ....?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GTW27

Dec 6, 2018
wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I began AOG then went independent charismatic.
Blessings in Christ Jesus. It matters not where you have been, but where you stand today. When reading the words that I have read on this thread, it reminds me of a man, standing out side the walls of the city of The Great King. Day and night he talks about The King inside the great city. Before this man, is The Door to the city of The Great King. This door, draws all men to the city, and has been drawing this man for years to enter in. To enter the city is free, and yet it will him cost everything. Inside this city, there is no denomination, for those who have entered in are called"His'. And these all agree, for they are one. They are one with each other, and one with The Great King. This is how they understand The Great King, in all that He has said and all That He has written. And on the inside of The Door of The Great City, It is written; Jesus, Lord of Lords, and King of Kings.

Reactions: Helen and amadeus

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
That I have experience behind my claims.

But it seems that “the experience” of people like @amadeus and myself...and the preacher I mentioned and the guy who got saved via hearing a tongue uttered in his langue etc etc...are not valid...just “your experience”..:rolleyes: o_O

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But it seems that “the experience” of people like @amadeus and myself...and the preacher I mentioned and the guy who got saved via hearing a tongue uttered in his langue etc etc...are not valid...just “your experience”..:rolleyes: o_O
And herein, as I see it, lies the problem when we decide that we have it all right while the other guy who differs in one thing is most definitely in error:

"For the body is not one member, but many.
If the foot shall say, Because I am not the hand, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body?
And if the ear shall say, Because I am not the eye, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body?
If the whole body were an eye, where were the hearing? If the whole were hearing, where were the smelling?
But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him." I Cor 12:14-19

Only the Head understands every part of the Body and all of that part's functions. There is only one Head and that is Jesus:

"For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.
Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing" Eph 5:23-24

People who speak in absolutes without knowledge will get into trouble every time.

"Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding
Who is this that darkeneth counsel by words without knowledge?
Gird up now thy loins like a man; for I will demand of thee, and answer thou me.
Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding." Job 38:1-4

Reactions: Helen
D

Dave L

Scripture says your experience is not the same as the gifts in the first century. No Apostles = no tongues or prophecy. Also you do not know what you are saying when you speak in tongues. First century Christians understood what they were saying when speaking in tongues. Plus more in scripture shows the "experience" today is not genuine.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Dave L

Blessings in Christ Jesus. It matters not where you have been, but where you stand today. When reading the words that I have read on this thread, it reminds me of a man, standing out side the walls of the city of The Great King. Day and night he talks about The King inside the great city. Before this man, is The Door to the city of The Great King. This door, draws all men to the city, and has been drawing this man for years to enter in. To enter the city is free, and yet it will him cost everything. Inside this city, there is no denomination, for those who have entered in are called"His'. And these all agree, for they are one. They are one with each other, and one with The Great King. This is how they understand The Great King, in all that He has said and all That He has written. And on the inside of The Door of The Great City, It is written; Jesus, Lord of Lords, and King of Kings.
Pentecostals divided the body of Christ in the early 1900s. And the Charismatics are the same schismatics dividing the body of Christ today. So consider this along with your sentiments.

D

Dave L

Based on what? Did you actually speak in tongues, or were you doing what you were teaching others to do - fake it, till you make it.
I was a dyed in the wool Charismatic until I began spending time in the bible. I spoke in "tongues" and taught others the basics. But none of it passes the test of scripture.

I'll say this, I have more joy and peace of mind getting away from charismatic beliefs than I ever had while holding them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Waiting on him

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was a dyed in the wool Charismatic until I began spending time in the bible. I spoke in "tongues" and taught others the basics. But none of it passes the test of scripture.

I'll say this, I have more joy and peace of mind getting away from charismatic beliefs than I ever had while holding them.

I've read your interpretation of scripture, and it is mind boggling why you can't understand what is written, but make it say the exact opposite! Who does that!?!

You and I have agreed on other subjects, but your inability to understand the gifts and our covenant puts you in a class by yourself. Not even Cessationists have come up with some of your interpretations.

Reactions: amadeus and Helen

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Scripture says your experience is not the same as the gifts in the first century. No Apostles = no tongues or prophecy. Also you do not know what you are saying when you speak in tongues. First century Christians understood what they were saying when speaking in tongues. Plus more in scripture shows the "experience" today is not genuine.
I won't argue with you again on this point as we did it once before on this forum on another thread. I do disagree with what you see in the scriptures and with your opinion about tongue talking today. For my understanding search for that other thread. On this I have not changed since then. Believe me, the experience is genuine in spite of your misgivings.

Last edited:
Reactions: Helen

GTW27

Dec 6, 2018
wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Pentecostals divided the body of Christ in the early 1900s. And the Charismatics are the same schismatics dividing the body of Christ today. So consider this along with your sentiments.
Dave, Dave, Dave I do not come under the name of Charismatic or Pentecostal or any other name. If you need a name, "His" would be correct or if you need more, than part of "The Way" also sounds correct. As the ones before us were part of "The Way". Same Lord(Jesus is Lord), same baptisms(water and Fire or Holy Spirit), same Power, same Authority, and same Gifts. My concern is where you are standing. Time is moving quickly, and what is about to begin, will no longer be delayed. Many, many, many will be caught unaware because they have followed the doctrines of man or worse. To whom will be the wise servant who built his house upon The Rock?

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

And praise God they did! The Church was dead as Sardis is the church age just before it. Philadelphia is the Church that began the Charismatics and the Church started keeping the whole word of God, unlike Cessationist's Bible that doesn't believe half of of our new covenant.

D

Dave L

And praise God they did! The Church was dead as Sardis is the church age just before it. Philadelphia is the Church that began the Charismatics and the Church started keeping the whole word of God, unlike Cessationist's Bible that doesn't believe half of of our new covenant.
The thing is, they divide themselves off from the body, thinking they have something special the rest do not have. And spiritual pride dogs every one I've encountered. But statistically, as a group they have the highest amount of mental illness and depression. This is understandable if you can break away and look back on it all as I did.

D

Dave L

Dave, Dave, Dave I do not come under the name of Charismatic or Pentecostal or any other name. If you need a name, "His" would be correct or if you need more, than part of "The Way" also sounds correct. As the ones before us were part of "The Way". Same Lord(Jesus is Lord), same baptisms(water and Fire or Holy Spirit), same Power, same Authority, and same Gifts. My concern is where you are standing. Time is moving quickly, and what is about to begin, will no longer be delayed. Many, many, many will be caught unaware because they have followed the doctrines of man or worse. To whom will be the wise servant who built his house upon The Rock?
Pentecostals and Charismatics divided themselves off from the body of Christ as did the Catholics, or any other elitists group calling itself Christian. They do not share the same gifts the early New Covenant believers shared.

D

Dave L

I won't argue with you again on this point as we did it once before on this forum on another thread. I do disagree with what you see in the scriptures and with your opinion about tongue talking today. For my understanding search for that other thread. On this I have not changed since then. Believe me, the experience is genuine in spite of your misgivings.
It is a genuine experience. I used to speak in tongues too. But it is not biblical tongues in the least. It is something many different non christian groups do as well.

D

Dave L

I've read your interpretation of scripture, and it is mind boggling why you can't understand what is written, but make it say the exact opposite! Who does that!?!

You and I have agreed on other subjects, but your inability to understand the gifts and our covenant puts you in a class by yourself. Not even Cessationists have come up with some of your interpretations.
I ran in your circles and know what they teach inside out. And it is not biblical in the least. They use scripture but they cannot support their divisive doctrines from it.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I ran in your circles and know what they teach inside out. And it is not biblical in the least. They use scripture but they cannot support their divisive doctrines from it.

Your opinion which is based on the twisting of scripture into something unrecognizable will never bring you to truth. I doubt that even another Cessationist would agree with you. And I certainly couldn't.

D

Dave L

Your opinion which is based on the twisting of scripture into something unrecognizable will never bring you to truth. I doubt that even another Cessationist would agree with you. And I certainly couldn't.
All I'm saying, there is a great freedom and peace of mind derived from the scriptures that I never knew until I got away from the charismatic churches I frequented.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is a genuine experience. I used to speak in tongues too. But it is not biblical tongues in the least. It is something many different non christian groups do as well.
Of course I disagree. I have grown much over the years I have included tongues as a part of my prayer life with God. I have no doubt about that.

D

Dave L

Of course I disagree. I have grown much over the years I have included tongues as a part of my prayer life with God. I have no doubt about that.
This is understandable. But if you compare your experience to the original, they are not the same.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is understandable. But if you compare your experience to the original, they are not the same.
"For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves are not wise." II Cor 10:12

The only one we should compare ourselves with is Jesus. All the rest of us fall short of Him so who among us is fit to judge another? We, neither your nor I, were there with those of which you speak so we do not know more than what is in the scriptures. Then again, I have never walked in your shoes nor you in mine.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All I'm saying, there is a great freedom and peace of mind derived from the scriptures that I never knew until I got away from the charismatic churches I frequented.

What is the old saying? "Ignorance is bliss." LOL

Last edited: