Difference between Catholic and Protestant.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's easy..:)
When his disciples asked him how they should pray, he replied "Our Father which art in heaven..."
See, no mention of praying to his mum or to any other dead humans.
Be careful, the naughty step...
THANK YOU for exposing your ignorance.
Makes MY job easier . . .

Jesus is CLEARLY talking about prayer of PETITION here.
Matt. 6:8. The verse that precedes the Lord’s Prayer CLEARLY states:
“Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ASK him.”

As I educated you before – “Pray” simply means to “ASK”.
In fact, prayer as worship is a SECONDARY definition:

Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary:

Full Definition of pray
transitive verb
1: ENTREAT, IMPLORE —often used as a function word in introducing a question, REQUEST, or PLEA<pray be careful>
2: to get or bring by prayin

intransitive verb
1: to make a REQUEST in a humble manner
2: to address God or a god with adoration, confession, supplication, or thanksgiving

From YOUR Protestant KJV -
Acts 27:34 - KJV
"Wherefore I pray you to take some meat: for this is for your health: for there shall not an hair fall from the head of any of you".

Once again – you brought a pea-shooter top a GUNFIGHT . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You do know that the concept of spiritual life and " the old man" didn't exist in the Old Testament and there were no born again saints prior to the first Pentecost, right?
Jesus didn't preach to saints, but to Jews under the law, before the new covenant was instituted.

If you're unable to distinguish between covenants in your interpretation and consider context, there's absolutely no point in discussing scripture with you.
Look – if you CAN’T refute any of my Scriptural arguments – just admit it and move on.
You don’t need to set up Strawmen arguments to hide your ignorance.

EVERYTIME I stump one of you guys – you do the SAME thing:
You refuse to discuss the matter further, then you RIN . . .

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
..When his disciples asked him how they should pray, he replied "Our Father which art in heaven..."
See, no mention of praying to his mum or to any other dead humans.
Be careful, the naughty step...
THANK YOU for exposing your ignorance.
Makes MY job easier . . .

Jesus is CLEARLY talking about prayer of PETITION here.
Matt. 6:8. The verse that precedes the Lord’s Prayer CLEARLY states:
“Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ASK him.”

As I educated you before – “Pray” simply means to “ASK”.
In fact, prayer as worship is a SECONDARY definition:

Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary:

Full Definition of pray
transitive verb
1: ENTREAT, IMPLORE —often used as a function word in introducing a question, REQUEST, or PLEA<pray be careful>
2: to get or bring by prayin

intransitive verb
1: to make a REQUEST in a humble manner
2: to address God or a god with adoration, confession, supplication, or thanksgiving

From YOUR Protestant KJV -
Acts 27:34 - KJV
"Wherefore I pray you to take some meat: for this is for your health: for there shall not an hair fall from the head of any of you".

Once again – you brought a pea-shooter top a GUNFIGHT . . .

Right that's it, get on here this instant, I bet your nanny's furious with you..:)

the-naughty-step_small.jpg

As for gunfights, you fire off big big volleys of words as if from a blunderbuss-
blunderbuss-49.jpg

Whereas my own devastating style is to fire off single hard-hitting sniper shots..:)
As a great prophet once said-

"This is this"
this-is-this3.jpg

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting that the great love of John 3.16 includes the purpose of 'should not perish'...
Yeah it also includes those who BELIEVE IN JESUS CHRIST .
Look down farther . Those who beleive not will be damned . Point to CHRIST , cause there is no other name that can save a soul .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Right that's it, get on here this instant, I bet your nanny's furious with you..:)

View attachment 26181

As for gunfights, you fire off big big volleys of words as if from a blunderbuss-
View attachment 26182

Whereas my own devastating style is to fire off single hard-hitting sniper shots..:)
As a great prophet once said-

"This is this"
View attachment 26183
TRANSLATION:
“I have NO idea what I’m talking about . . .”

That’s what I thought . . .

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’m not accusing you of lying – but you obviously don’t understand Catholic doctrine.

Not only is it a basic teaching of the Church that we are redeemd by the finished work of Jesus on the cross – it was the Catholic Church who taught this to the WORLD. One of the reasons that Protestants believe otherwise is the doctrine of Final Purification of the Elect or “Purgatory”. It is BECAUSE of what Jesus did on the cross that Final Purification is made available to us.

Rev. 21:27 states emphatically that NOTHING impure or imperfect can enter into Heaven.
To get around Final Purification, Luther posited that we “sneak” into Heaven as “snow-covered dunghills” that are simply covered by the righteousness of Christ.
The Church teaches what the BIBLE teaches – that we are MADE righteous – not simply “covered”.

The Church doesn’t teach that we can “work” our way into Heaven.
HOWEVER, we acknowledge what the Bible says – that only true faith is a faith that WORKS in love (Matt. 28:31-45, Gal. 5:6, 1 Cor. 13:1-13, James 2:14-24).
This is great example of RCC distortion. Revelation 21:27 is a statement about the New Jerusalem. It's your assumption that the passage is about Heaven, but scripture teaches that Heaven is rolled up like a scroll to make way for a new Heaven and a new Earth. The "city" comes down to Earth.

2And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. 3And I heard a loud voice from the throne, saying, “Behold, the tabernacle of God is among the people, and He will dwell among them, and they shall be His People, and God Himself will be among them, 4and He will wipe away every tear from their eyes; and there will no longer be any death; there will no longer be any mourning, or crying, or pain; the first things have passed away.”
Revelation 21:2-4

And do you imagine that life is only a gift to those who enter the city? My translations of scripture all describe a river that flows from the throne of God and runs outside of the city so that all may freely drink.

1And he showed me a river of the water of life, clear as crystal, coming from the throne of God and of the Lamb, 2in the middle of its street. On either side of the river was the tree of life, bearing twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit every month; and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.
Revelation 22:1-2

This is parallel to Ezekiel 47:1-12 which gives a lengthier description of the river and its extents.

Neither passage is explicitly about Heaven.

Reactions: Taken

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interpetations may differ but personally I think that if Stalin or Hitler or Saddam will be let out of hell, I'm Mary Poppins..

The 'Purgatory' nonsense is a satanic notion that believes hell has a swing door where naughty people will be let out after serving their time.

Fact is there's zero chance of escaping from hell and they'd have a much better chance of getting out of Shawshank..
That’s because you are completely ignorant of the doctrine of Final Purification (Purgatory) - even after I explained it yo you in mu last post.

Now, pay attention:
According to 1 Cor. 3:10-15, which explains the process of Final Purification before entering Heaven – the person will SUFFER LOSS, but he WILL BE SAVED as one escaping through FIRE.
- This CAN’T be Heaven because the person SUFFERS – and there is NO suffering in Heaven.
- This CAN’T be Hell because the person WILL BEE SAVED – and there is NO salvation in Hell.
- This is describing a THIRD state – one of Final Purification before entering Heaven.

So, instead of making any further idiotic comments - do your homework . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus only gave the disciples the power to forgive, not any old Tom Dick or Harry..:)
Once again – your ignorance of Scripture clouds your opinion.

Pay attention:
Jesus
gave the power to forgive sins to His Disciples.

We read ibn Acts 1:20, when they were choosing a successor for Judas:
Acts 1:30

“Let another take his office

The Greek word used here for “office” is “Episkopay”, which means BISHORIC.
The Apostles were the first BISHOPS, and this verse shows that this is a successive office.

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Pay attention:
Jesus
gave the power to forgive sins to His Disciples.

We read ibn Acts 1:20, when they were choosing a successor for Judas:
Acts 1:30

“Let another take his office

The Greek word used here for “office” is “Episkopay”, which means BISHORIC.
The Apostles were the first BISHOPS, and this verse shows that this is a successive office.

The apostle James was killed in Acts 12, was he replaced? The Scripture doesn't say so!

Peter being called by the RCC the first Pope is not recorded in Scripture!

All "traditions of men."

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
show me these tablets with a list of numbers on them?
There is nothing in scripture that says the first commandment ends here and the second begins!

Christ is the founder of the church! Matt 16:18 and he cannot make mistakes or errors, true we are sinners but we are not the church only members and serious sin separates us from God, the church is one, holy, catholic, and apostolic! Holy mother church! The bride of Christ prepared out of heaven spotless by God who cannot err!
Isn't counting them enough for us? If you start at "I am the Lord thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage..." ("Egypt" being a "type" to its "antitype" which is the bondage of sin), you'll find a total of 10 which follow.

They are the "Law of Liberty" into which we look, as a mirror, to see if we're living according to them, and if not, we go to Christ for cleansing AND power, after which we continue looking into the mirror "not being a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work".

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
be specific
What commandments?
The Ten Commandments.

The Catholic church has REMOVED the 2nd commandment forbidding the bowing down to images, because they know millions of sincere Catholic faithful bow down and pray to them - the toes of Peter in St. Peter's Basilica have been totally kissed away after centuries of sincere Catholics being led to break the commandment which the NT forbids.

Last edited:

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
..you are completely ignorant of the doctrine of Final Purification (Purgatory) - even after I explained it yo you in my last post.
So, instead of making any further idiotic comments - do your homework . . .

Logic it out mate, Satan WANTS mugs to think they'll be let out of hell after serving their time..;)

shawshank-hadley2.jpg

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Pay attention:Jesus gave the power to forgive sins to His Disciples..

I know, but not to any Tom Dick Harry such as catholic priests..:)
For example an IRA bomb went off in my home city of Leicester (England) in 1990 but miraculously nobody was hurt, we lived three miles away and it rattled our windows and woke up our cat.
The bombers probably nipped straight round to their nearest cath church and confessed it to their priest who probably said "No problem, you're forgiven", then they probably went home and started making another bomb.
If ever I meet one of them I'll ask him what the hell our cat had done to upset the IRA..:)

IRA-Bomb_Feb-1990.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.