Difference between Catholic and Protestant.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I created a thread to discuss what sin is. And I found that my understanding of sin was vague. But now I have a clear understanding. With that I have grown beyond some churches. I watch Catholic mass online and sometimes attend the parish down the road. But they don't have married clergy so I find them not following biblical teachings.

That lead me to the protestants. But I'm wondering how they differ from the Catholics. I'm somewhat familiar with the Catholic denomination and don't accept all of it. Would I fit better in a protestant denomination?

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I watch Catholic mass online and sometimes attend the parish down the road. But they don't have married clergy so I find them not following biblical teachings.

While I think everyone, clergy and laity alike, should be permitted to marry -- and I disagree with Paul's suggestion in 1 Corinthians 7:32-35 that remaining unmarried is "better" -- I don't see that forbidding its clergy to marry renders Catholicism "not following biblical teachings." Is that the main reason you reject Catholicism?

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
While I think everyone, clergy and laity alike, should be permitted to marry -- and I disagree with Paul's suggestion in 1 Corinthians 7:32-35 that remaining unmarried is "better" -- I don't see that forbidding its clergy to marry renders Catholicism "not following biblical teachings." Is that the main reason you reject Catholicism?
Yes mainly. I read the bible on deacons and bishops and it clearly says that they should be married to one wife and be proved to run a good family. And that qualifies them for service. And I agree with that fact. (1 Timothy 3:2-13).

I believe remaining single can create problems in a person mentally and spiritually while on this earth. But that's my personal opinion.

But Catholics push that they have authority. And I kinda think the Romans took over the church in the early days of Christianity to be in concert with their Roman authority over the areas. And I don't see that as God's will really.

And I'm kinda distracted by all the virgin Mary devotion. While she was Jesus' mother and should be honored. They seem to push it too far.

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes mainly. I read the bible on deacons and bishops and it clearly says that they should be married to one wife and be proved to run a good family. And that qualifies them for service. And I agree with that fact. (1 Timothy 3:2-13).

I believe remaining single can create problems in a person mentally and spiritually while on this earth. But that's my personal opinion.

I think being married can aid one's clerical insights, and enhance rather than detract from clerical service. (As it happens, my wife is an ordained Episcopal priest. I'm pretty sure she would agree.) But I don't see marriage as a prequalification of being clergy. Among the myriad possible interpretations of 1 Timothy 3:2 -- including that bishops should not be (1) polygamous, (2) divorced and then remarried, (3) remarried after being widowed -- the essential message I distill from what Paul is telling Timothy is that a divorced bishop is a scandalous thing. I don't interpret Paul as telling Timothy that marriage is a requirement.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I created a thread to discuss what sin is. And I found that my understanding of sin was vague. But now I have a clear understanding. With that I have grown beyond some churches. I watch Catholic mass online and sometimes attend the parish down the road. But they don't have married clergy so I find them not following biblical teachings.

That lead me to the protestants. But I'm wondering how they differ from the Catholics. I'm somewhat familiar with the Catholic denomination and don't accept all of it. Would I fit better in a protestant denomination?
Don't take a side.

Instead, train your focus on God and His Christ. If you will begin alone, in time the sides and divisions will eventually be theirs and not yours--you will be free of them.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don't take a side.

Instead, train your focus on God and His Christ. If you will begin alone, in time the sides and divisions will eventually be theirs and not yours--you will be free of them.
Thanks @ScottA. That's kinda been my approach so far with legalistic churches verses the Catholic church. After reading more about Jesus commandments and what sin was, I grew past the legalistic churches and realized the Catholics were closer to the truth. So now I would like to investigate what protestant is.

I will take your advice and proceed with caution and stick to biblical teachings.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think being married can aid one's clerical insights, and enhance rather than detract from clerical service. (As it happens, my wife is an ordained Episcopal priest. I'm pretty sure she would agree.) But I don't see marriage as a prequalification of being clergy. Among the myriad possible interpretations of 1 Timothy 3:2 -- including that bishops should not be (1) polygamous, (2) divorced and then remarried, (3) remarried after being widowed -- the essential message I distill from what Paul is telling Timothy is that a divorced bishop is a scandalous thing. I don't interpret Paul as telling Timothy that marriage is a requirement.
Well I guess I see Paul as directing Timothy with advice about not being married. But I also find that less enlightened than Timothy's message. To promote non-family and non-marriage for clergy seems a little isolating and non-family oriented. And I see it better that church is family oriented like Timothy suggested. But I also see Paul's point that marriage distracts. But if the woman also helps with the Lord it can be a blessing instead of a distraction.

Reactions: Alfredthefifth

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There’s a mountain of differences between Catholics and Protestants, plus a mountain of similarities. The biggest are Catholic views on the importance of Church authority versus Protestant Sola Scripture tradition.

But for real focus OP: did you know that some branches of Catholicism do have married priests? Check out Byzantium Catholicism.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well I guess I see Paul as directing Timothy with advice about not being married. But I also find that less enlightened than Timothy's message. To promote non-family and non-marriage for clergy seems a little isolating and non-family oriented. And I see it better that church is family oriented like Timothy suggested. But I also see Paul's point that marriage distracts. But if the woman also helps with the Lord it can be a blessing instead of a distraction.
Paul's advise comes at the core and the beginning of church building where the focus is that the church (portrayed as a bride, as a woman) should have but One husband. Timothy then putting it into practice, advises the practice. Practice is good.

Reactions: dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There’s a mountain of differences between Catholics and Protestants, plus a mountain of similarities. The biggest are Catholic views on the importance of Church authority versus Protestant Sola Scripture tradition.

But for real focus OP: did you know that some branches of Catholicism do have married priests? Check out Byzantium Catholicism.
Yes I had read that. Thanks for the info. I'll have to weigh that difference carefully. I think I need to investigate a little deeper then.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey Devin,

What did Timothy write? I am not familiar with his writings!

Curious Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hey Devin,

Fyi...The Catholic Church does have "married clergy".

Reactions: dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey Devin,

What did Timothy write? I am not familiar with his writings!

Curious Mary
Yep you covered that in another thread. It really shows my limited understanding of the scriptures in that case. I'm versed much better than I used to be but just assumed Timothy wrote Timothy. Thanks for pointing that out, I will error no more :)

Reactions: Marymog

Alfredthefifth

Jul 19, 2022
Greater Tucson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Devin,

The one thing that I found, is to come as you are, in entering a new to you church. That doesn't mean crawling out from under a car covered in grease but rather don't try to hide any blemishes that people will freely judge you by.

There are many beautiful buildings that have gatekeepers to make sure that only someone that is perfect enough can be welcomed in.
Not all are welcome in many churches.
"So you have (name anything), come let us study God's word together!" Churches just like men talk the walk but do not walk the talk.

Then study the scriptures trying to let the HOLY SPIRIT, enter and guide you. There are very welcoming churches that the Holy Spirit guided me away from. Yes they were welcoming but the message wasn't there, the Holy Spirit in on my heart said not here.

And then churches change, a new pastor, a new elder, someone whose bank account controls the church. All these things by themselves are tripping points that effect the church. Not always negatively but they effect the church and its message to its core.

I will not claim anyone denomination of church above another. You can very literally drive down the same road or highway to get from one church of an denomination to another church of the same denomination and find that the next church is one hundred and eighty degrees apart from it's sister church. Whether it is the message, attitude or personal strivings and resulting conflicts the results are very startling.

Let the Holy Spirit in love guide you.

Alfredthefifth

Reactions: Nancy and dev553344

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

First of all, it’s important to understand that the Catholic Church is comprised of about 20 Lirutrgical Rites. These are largely cultural in difference and NOT in doctrine. We are all in full communion with each other as the Catholic Church.

That being said - Priestly celibacy is a disciplinary matter in the Western Church (Latin Rite) and is largely based on Paul’s advice in 1 Cor. 7 that an unmarried man can give his FULL self to the Lord without having to worry about taking care of his wife’s needs.
In the Eastern Rites (Byzantine, Melkite, Maronite, Coptic, etc.) married clergy is allowed.

No, because this is a discipline and NOT a doctrinal matter – it COULD change, theoretically.
Personally, I’ve spoken to and read the writings of MANY priests who, like Paul, believe that this has enhanced their life of service to God.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
A body bitterly divided against itself. United we stand, divided we fall.
Divisions arise for two reasons: (1) saved vs unsaved and (2) true doctrines vs false doctrines. And as both Jesus and Paul said, divisions are unavoidable. The Catholic church went off the rails a long time ago. And later on the Protestant mainline denominations also went off the rails. So every person must study the Scriptures and see what the various denominations believe and practice.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Divisions arise for two reasons: (1) saved vs unsaved and (2) true doctrines vs false doctrines. And as both Jesus and Paul said, divisions are unavoidable. The Catholic church went off the rails a long time ago. And later on the Protestant mainline denominations also went off the rails. So every person must study the Scriptures and see what the various denominations believe and practice.
I agree that we must find the truth for ourselves. I often think divisions and some of the denominations have arose from the same thing that plagued Jesus. And that is attempting to claim authority and deny others authority. And it's clear that Jesus gave his apostles authority over the church. So it's difficult to really tell what's what these days as far as authority.

Reactions: Alfredthefifth

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What a bleak and hopeless view of the Gospel.
Thank GOD that Jesus gives us more hope than that.

He said that His Church is a VISIBLE entity – “the light of the world” and “a city on a hill that cannot be hidden”(Matt. 5:14). It’s NOT something that we all have to “figure out” on our own because men have failed over the centuries. It's NOT some "secret" club that we have to go searching for. It's been right here for 2000 years.

MEN fail – the Holy Spirit does NOT. Jesus guaranteed that HIS Church would endure and would NOT succumb to darkness (Matt. 16:18).

He DIDN’T promise that there wouldn’t be bad people within that Church along the way.
In fact – He WARNED about that (Matt. 7:15-19).

Status
Not open for further replies.