Difference between Catholic and Protestant.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
KJV Romans 9:30-33
30 What shall we say then? That the Gentiles, which followed not after righteousness, have attained to righteousness, even the righteousness which is of faith.
31 But Israel, which followed after the law of righteousness, hath not attained to the law of righteousness.
32 Wherefore? Because they sought it not by faith, but as it were by the works of the law. For they stumbled at that stumblingstone;
33 As it is written, Behold, I lay in Sion a stumblingstone and rock of offence: and whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.
Who is this Rock of offense?

christ!

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually Moses wasn't a Jew, but a levite and a descendant of Heber. The word Jew refers to the descendants of the kingdom of Judah, the tribe of Judah, the Benjamites, and those levites that remained after the fall and deportation of the Northern Kingdom. So, you're not only a pagan, but unfamiliar with the historical records of scripture.
Thanks M. Pardo,

Moses was a Hebrew or Israelite from the tribe of Levi and the Jewish identity emerged later. That means he lived before the two historic kingdoms were formed and before the word “Jew” or “Judean” was invented. However, Moses was from the same family lines that were eventually recognized as the Jews. Moses is listed as one of the Prophets in Judaism. Moses transcribed the Torah which is the foundational text of Judaism. So, in a sense Mr. Pardo, you are right. Moses wasn't alive when the word or Jewish identity was first coined. In Scripture Christians weren't first called Christians until the book of Acts written around 60 AD which was about 30 years after the death of Christ.

Sooooo does that mean that those that followed Christ for the first 30 years after his death were not Christians? Can you not see the weakness in your semantic argument Mr. Pardo? Also, it was not a name we gave ourselves. It supposedly was meant to be derogatory!!

Do you consider it derogatory to call someone a pagan?

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Six percent, DB. Didn't you get the memo? The problem is NOT far worse in mainstream Protestantism which looks nothing like the CENTRALIZED GLOBAL CHILD RAPING COTTAGE INDUSTRY headquartered in the Vatican and overseen by the Pope.

Did you not get the memo featuring EMPIRICAL DATA showing that a full SIX PERCENT OF ALL PRIESTS HAVE ACTED OUT SEXUALLY WITH MINORS, which leaves an unnumbered percentage prone to such disgusting desires but are at least too victim conscious to act out on them???

Oh, yes, you got it...but it appears even the facts aren't enough to persuade you to give up your allegiance to the Whore of Babylon, DB.
Then somebody forgot top give that memo to the FBI and the Insurance industry, whose statistics are well-documented in the book, Pedophiles and Priests, by PROTESTANT author, Philip Jenkins.

As for your “empirical date” – as many as 6% of priests have been IMPLICATED, not PROVEN guilty.
There is also “empirical data” that DISPROVES many of the accusations as false.

The problem came about because of the perceived wealth of the Catholic Church. Catholic parishes are INSURED, so the lawyers went after them.
By contrast – many smaller Protestant sects are NOT insured – and were left alone because the lawyers saw NO MONEY in it.

So, this “cottage industry” of child rape and molestation is FAR MORE prevalent in your Protestant circles – including YOUR SDA sect.

If this statistic bothers you – take it up with the Insurance industry and the FBI.
You know what they say about people, in glass houses . . .

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks M. Pardo,

Moses was a Hebrew or Israelite from the tribe of Levi and the Jewish identity emerged later. That means he lived before the two historic kingdoms were formed and before the word “Jew” or “Judean” was invented. However, Moses was from the same family lines that were eventually recognized as the Jews. Moses is listed as one of the Prophets in Judaism. Moses transcribed the Torah which is the foundational text of Judaism. So, in a sense Mr. Pardo, you are right. Moses wasn't alive when the word or Jewish identity was first coined. In Scripture Christians weren't first called Christians until the book of Acts written around 60 AD which was about 30 years after the death of Christ.

Sooooo does that mean that those that followed Christ for the first 30 years after his death were not Christians? Can you not see the weakness in your semantic argument Mr. Pardo? Also, it was not a name we gave ourselves. It supposedly was meant to be derogatory!!

Do you consider it derogatory to call someone a pagan?
Not if you are, and Roman Catholicism is pagan, having incorporated pagan practice and belief, as well as Jewish tradition into what was once a Christian church.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
christ is the builder not the one being built on eph 2:20

Matt 16:17-19

did Christ give the keys of jurisdictional authority to govern his church and administer his kingdom to a confession? Or to the person of the apostle Peter?

Did Christ give the apostolic authority to bind and loose to a confession? Or to the apostle Peter?

did a confession miraculously catch a fish with a coin in its mouth to pay the temple tax for both Christ and Peter identifying them as one in Matt 17:27 Or did the person of the apostle Peter?

Did a confession stand up in acts 1 and quote the Old Testament and appoint Mathias as an apostle? Or did the person of the apostle Peter?

Did a confession give the first sermon in acts 2? Or did the person of the apostle Peter?

did a man in acts 3:6 receive a miracle thru a confession? Or did the person of the apostle Peter?

Did a man in acts 5:5 fall dead at the feet of a confession? Or to the person of the apostle Peter?

did a confession preach the necessity of baptismal regeneration in acts 2:38-39 and 1 pet 3:20-21?
Or did the person of the apostle Peter?

Did the Father send Christ or a confession of Christ?

Jesus Christ is the rock of salvation!

Peter is the rock that the church is built on by Christ alone!

Lk 22:32
Jesus prays for Peter alone

Jn 21:17 Peter entrusted with the flock or church

Only Peter and His successors have
Jurisdictional authority from Christ to govern the church!

Already acting in the person of Christ even acting as intermediary!

It is Jesus Christ who identifies peter with himself!

Matt 17:24 And when they were come to Capernaum, they that received tribute money came to Peter, and said, Doth not your master pay tribute?

25 He saith, Yes. And when he was come into the houser, Jesus prevented him, saying, What thinkest thou, Simon? of whom do the kings of the earth take custom or tribute? of their own children, or of strangers?

26 Peter saith unto him, Of strangers. Jesus saith unto him, Then are the children free.

27 Notwithstanding, lest we should offend them, go thou to the sea, and cast an hook, and take up the fish that first cometh up; and when thou hast opened his mouth, thou shalt find a piece of money: that take, and give unto them for me and thee.

It is Jesus Christ who identifies peter with himself! Matt 17:27

Jesus Christ gives the keys of the kingdom to peter matt 16:18-19 making him prime minister applying Isa 22:21-22 to peter

It’s Christ who does this

Why is the name of peter even mentioned?

Why does Christ change Peter’s name, God changing a persons name like Abram to Abraham or Jacob to Israel always signifies a mission or ministry!

Why does Christ give him the keys of jurisdictional authority that the prime minister holds under the king to administer the kingdom? Isa 22:21-22

How do you govern the church and administer the kingdom with a confession?

How do you give jurisdictional authority to a confession? (Keys of the kingdom)

How do you give a confession the power to bind and loose?

also have to explain
Isa 22:21-22 jurisdictional authority of the keys and called father
Matt 28:19 go teach baptize
Jn 20:21-23 same mission power and authority as christ
Eph 2:20 church built on the apostles
Matt 23 successors of Moses have the jurisdictional authority and the power to bind and loose which Christ says must be obeyed, then taken from them matt 21:43 given to Peter and the apostles and their successors

Lk 22:29 And I appoint unto you a kingdom, as my Father hath appointed unto me;
30 That ye may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom, and sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel.
31 And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat: (plural Peter and his successors)
32 But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren.

Applies only to Peter as “prince of the apostles”!

Peter and his successors are the Leader of the apostles and the head of the church until Christ returns!

First and chief apostle!

Matt 10:2 Now the names of the twelve apostles are these; The first, Simon, who is called Peter,

Lk 22:29 And I appoint unto you a kingdom, as my Father hath appointed unto me;
30 That ye may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom, and sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel.
31 And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat: (plural Peter and his successors)
32 But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren.

Lk 22:32 Christ prayed for Peter!

Peter is head of the church on earth in the place of Christ until His return!

Isa 22:21-22 21 And I will clothe him with thy robe, and strengthen him with thy girdle, and I will commit thy government into his hand: and he shall be a father to the inhabitants of Jerusalem, and to the house of Judah.

22 And the key of the house of David will I lay upon his shoulder; so he shall open, and none shall shut; and he shall shut, and none shall open.

Matt 16:19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

Matt 23:1 power and authority of the kingdom known in the keys and binding and loosing, Matt 21:43 kingdom shall be taken from you given to another who will bear fruit. (Peter the apostles in holy church Lk 22:29)

Matt 17:27 Jesus identified peter with himself.

Matt 16:17 Peter alone received revelation from the Father

Lk 22:32 Peter to strengthen his brethren (the apostles)

Jn 21:17 feed my sheep

Peter exercises his authority over the apostles and the church!

Acts 1:15
Acts 3:4
Acts 5:5 5:10
Acts 10:44
Acts 15:7

ONLY TO PETER CHRIST SAID: THOU ART PETER AND UPON THIS ROCK I WILL BUILT MY CHURCH, AND THE GATES OF HELL SHALL NOT PREVAIL AGAINST IT!Matt 16:18

Peter is the prime minister, father, and head of the church on earth until Christ returns Isa 22:21-22

Seat of peter remains Until Christ returns
Matt 28:19-20

Matthew 5:14
Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.

Rom 14:10 But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ.

4 important questions:

1) How do you govern the church and administer the kingdom with a confession?

2) How do you give jurisdictional authority to a confession? (Keys of the kingdom)

3) How do you give a confession the power to bind and loose?

4) why did Christ give the keys to Peter (and only to Peter) keys of jurisdictional authority. Isa 22:21-22 why even bother to mention Peter if he is not involved?

Explain Jn 20:21 Peter and the apostles and their successors have the same mission, ministry, power, and authority as Christ! “As the father sent me, so I send you”!

Matt 28:19 christ communicates his authority to peter and the apostles to teach all nations, baptize all disciples!
Jn 20:21-23 apostles even have authority to forgive sins
Eph 2:20 church built on the apostles
Matt 23 the authority and power of the successors of Moses required to be obeyed are taken from them and given to Peter and the apostles

Jn 21:17
Peter commanded to Feed my sheep:
Christ is BOTH the foundation and the house standing on it. Peter is dead and buried and can't hear a thing you say, nor is Christ's "successor".

I hope you someday understand the difference between "Peter the PETROS" and "Christ the PETRA".

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
you really believe sola scripture?
I have no choice but to...because Catholicism points to the Scriptures as the rock-solid authority from which they substantiate their claim that their authority supersedes it.

We call that "circular reasoning" - a poor excuse for exegesis, friend.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the scriptures are the possession of the church the communion of saints and not the camp of heretics

Truth must be revealed by God, and in its fullness in the sacred deposit of faith by Christ to his church! Eph 4:5 Jude 1:3 and must be taught by the church, or proposed for our belief by the apostles!
Matt 28:19-20 Lk 1:4 Jn 20:21 acts 8:31 Rom 1:5 col 2:7 1 Tim 3:15
matt 18:17

Christ and His church are one! acts 9:4 Acts 5:32 Jn 15:1-5

Truth is immutable! Cannot change!
Yes, they are one...but Catholicism is not that church because Christ's "remnant" church of the last days, by definition of "remnant", will be identical to the church in the beginning, keeping the same laws it did. Catholicism by its own admission disqualifies herself as that church, remember?

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then somebody forgot top give that memo to the FBI and the Insurance industry, whose statistics are well-documented in the book, Pedophiles and Priests, by PROTESTANT author, Philip Jenkins.

As for your “empirical date” – as many as 6% of priests have been IMPLICATED, not PROVEN guilty.
There is also “empirical data” that DISPROVES many of the accusations as false.

The problem came about because of the perceived wealth of the Catholic Church. Catholic parishes are INSURED, so the lawyers went after them.
By contrast – many smaller Protestant sects are NOT insured – and were left alone because the lawyers saw NO MONEY in it.

So, this “cottage industry” of child rape and molestation is FAR MORE prevalent in your Protestant circles – including YOUR SDA sect.

If this statistic bothers you – take it up with the Insurance industry and the FBI.
You know what they say about people, in glass houses . . .
Get it straight, DB - SIX PERCENT OF ALL CATHOLIC PRIESTS HAVE ACTED OUT SEXUALLY WITH MINORS...THAT'S A FLIPPIN EPIDEMIC AND THE ENTIRE GLOBAL CATHOLIC CHURCH SHOULD BE BANNED AND YOUR GUILTY PRIESTS ARRESTED AND EXECUTED FOR PREYING ON THE INNOCENT.

Don't try to lump in "protestant" mega churches and smaller scale "ministries" led by pedophile "pastors" who got their credentials from a Cracker Jack box and are about as Christian as the Roman Catholic church -- with genuine mainstream Protestantism, OK? That's bulldookey and you know it - like claiming Nazis showing up at a Trump rally represent the rest of the crowd.

Unlike mainstream Protestantism, your church operates a global network of pedophile child raping priests led by the Pedophile in Chief in Vatican city, and it actively condones, protects, and enables predatory priests. WATCH THE MOVIE SPOTLIGHT and see how deep the rot runs, DB! SIX PERCENT. Is that what the FBI concludes about mainstream Protestantism? You know full well they don't.

Reactions: Taken and L.A.M.B.

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Incidentally catholics say suicide is a sin that guarantees hell, but I can't find any scriptures that say that..:)

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Comedy hour continues.....
There is nothing amusing or comedic about the Catholic notion that a relationship with Christ means to eat a biscuit once a week. That is not relationship. That is deception and a counterfeit: a real relationship with Jesus is spiritual and through a daily constant communion with Him through the holy Spirit. The fruit of that relationship is righteousness, peace, and abundant living.
Today the invitation is given: "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls" (Matthew 11:28, 29). Christ has rest for all who will wear His yoke and learn His meekness and lowliness of heart. Here we are taught restraint and obedience, and in this we shall find rest. Thank God that in humility and obedience we shall find just that which we all need so much—the rest that is found in faith and confidence and perfect trust. We must not manufacture an oppressive yoke for our necks. Let us take the yoke of Christ and in entire obedience draw with Him....
"If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love" (John 15:10). This is the yoke which Christ invites us to wear—the yoke of obedience. Can we not say, "Lord, I take you at your word; I receive your promise. I come to you
because I need you as a personal Saviour. I must have an abiding Christ. I am dependent on you. You are mine, for you said, "without Me ye can do nothing." Christ says, "He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them"—not in pretense, but with the whole mind, heart, soul, and strength—"he it is that loveth me" (John 14:21). This is the true test of character. We must be doers of the Word. This is how we know Him. KJV 1 John 2:4
4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him .

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Incidentally catholics say suicide is a sin that guarantees hell, but I can't find any scriptures that say that..:)
Catholics say most suicide is the result of mental illness; people don't go to hell because they are sick. Suicide violates the commandment "You shall not kill" which includes oneself. There is no way around it. Killing is a mortal sin. Regarding the fate of a suicidal soul, we rely on the mercy of God the same as you do. How do you reconcile mercy with God's Justice? We don't have that problem.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Catholics say most suicide is the result of mental illness; people don't go to hell because they are sick. Suicide violates the commandment "You shall not kill" which includes oneself. There is no way around it. Killing is a mortal sin. Regarding the fate of a suicidal soul, we rely on the mercy of God the same as you do. How do you reconcile mercy with God's Justice? We don't have that problem.
I might add that suicide for many is an act of despair, desperation, hopelessness. Those sad mental states don't always represent mental illness, but can be the result of trauma and abuse. Yet ultimately we must believe God is merciful, not after the fact of death, but prior to any attempt at self harm by offering Himself personally to every person with ears to hear and a great to receive. Resisting and refusing the gospel reveals a faithlessness...and everything that is not of faith is sin...and sin is transgression against the law...self murder... And the wages of sin is eternal death.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What percentage of offenders are members of mainstream Protestantism and what percentage are non-denominational, non-credentialed, bulldookey "Protestant" con artists, huh? You know full well if we dispense with over-generalizations and critically examine the data, the fact is that if child raping by clergy were an Olympic event, the Catholic church would win gold, silver, and bronze before everybody else had finished lacing up their shoes.
As for your “empirical date” – as many as 6% of priests have been IMPLICATED, not PROVEN guilty. There is also “empirical data” that DISPROVES many of the accusations as false.
Who are the authors of your "empirical data" that supposedly "disproves" what I say? The Vatican Pedophile in Chief and his cohorts? The very people who direct the cover ups? Ever hear of Cardinal Law and what happened to him? Nobody is buying what your selling, DB, because everyone recognizes you scooped it off the top of the "Roman dunghill of decratals".
The problem came about because of the perceived wealth of the Catholic Church. Catholic parishes are INSURED, so the lawyers went after them. By contrast – many smaller Protestant sects are NOT insured – and were left alone because the lawyers saw NO MONEY in it.
It's neither a problem of perception or money, DB - except in the minds of child rapist/pedophile apologists. Some things, like priests sexually abusing other people's children, are just wrong, no matter how you look at them...and since when did the police start charging victims a fee to press charges against pedophiles/child rapists?
If this statistic bothers you – take it up with the Insurance industry and the FBI. You know what they say about people, in glass houses . . .
DB, those of us who aren't obsessed with protecting child rapist priests who deserve the death penalty are well able to see the difference between statistics which wrongly characterize as "Protestant churches" front organizations used by non-catholic pedophiles and child rapists to extort and exploit their non-catholics members and their children...and true statistics which shows that at the core of catholicism is a culture that actively condones, promotes, and protects their pedophile and child-raping clergy to the tune of a full SIX PERCENT - and epidemic which will hopefully soon result in the abolishment of catholicism and the prosecution and death sentence for any and all priests who hurt our children.

Reactions: Taken

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Difference between Catholic and Protestant.
OP^

One dines on catechism.
One dines on Scripture.

Reactions: Phoneman777

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who are the authors of your "empirical data" that supposedly "disproves" what I say? The Vatican Pedophile in Chief and his cohorts? The very people who direct the cover ups?

* Catholics are groomed to believe the ONLY Church IS the Catholic Church.
* Catholics are groomed to take complaints of “their” church, ‘to’ their church officials.
* The Vatican is a corrupt theocracy. <—— THE PROBLEM.
* The “church officials”; the “government officials”...lay blame, guilt, shame on the victims.
* The victims, struggle for years with their shame, AND can finally report to the government of “their” personal residence...too late, past the date to prosecute.
* The facts never changed, the charges are not recanted, but convictions are not possible.
* Documentation of charges are numerous, Documentation of prosecution is scant.

A Protestant’s governing authority IS NOT a theocracy. If a church official is discovered having engaged in immoral acts, the individual can renounce that official and or that church.
If the discovery of immoral acts, is pedophilia, the guardians of that child can make official governmental charges.
If an adult is a victim of a church officials immoral acts. The adult can make official governmental charges.

Immoral acts of church officials of a theocracy government, have a long history of covering up, hiding, denying, and getting away without punishment, horrendous atrocity’s. Pedophilia, Rape, Torture, Murder...

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christ is BOTH the foundation and the house standing on it. Peter is dead and buried and can't hear a thing you say, nor is Christ's "successor".

I hope you someday understand the difference between "Peter the PETROS" and "Christ the PETRA".
It is a weak argument but that's all the RCC has to justify their position.

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Prove it..:)
That's easy. First, you kill yourself and I can easily prove you are dead.
And do bugs count? Do catholics use bug spray?
What makes you think Catholics are so different from everybody else? Can you spot Catholics in a crowd? My preference is a fly swatter over bug spray. From that, you can conclude I am anti-bug spray. But I'm not. Exterminators need bug spray for infestations. This thread and others get infested with trolls who repeat over and over again the false, insulting charge of paganism. The Pagan Influence Fallacy is the standard anti-Catholic derailer that is employed when one is making a fool of themselves. Referring to post 1105.

Reactions: Philip James
Status
Not open for further replies.