Do Men Have Authority Over Women?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you're a man, but are not my God (which is a given), my husband, my pastor, or my boss in a workplace ....you have absolutely ZERO authority over me.

I agree with the additional exception of civil authorities, e.g., police, judge, etc, also having authority over both, men and women.

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Calling someone lord, or master, denoted submission or reverence toward someone who was in authority.

Many Women today are like Michal:

“And as the ark of the LORD came into the city of David, Michal Saul's daughter looked through a window, and saw king David leaping and dancing before the LORD; and she despised him in her heart.” (2 Samuel 6:16)

“Then David returned to bless his household. And Michal the daughter of Saul came out to meet David, and said, How glorious was the king of Israel to day, who uncovered himself to day in the eyes of the handmaids of his servants, as one of the vain fellows shamelessly uncovereth himself!” (2 Samuel 6:20)

No address as “lord” to King David nor any respectful greeting.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What do you make of this:
You (because of your ego) did not answer my question. Here are a few examples of men addressing other men as "my lord."

Genesis 23:5-6
[5]And the children of Heth answered Abraham, saying unto him,
[6]Hear us, my lord: thou art a mighty prince among us: in the choice of our sepulchres bury thy dead; none of us shall withhold from thee his sepulchre, but that thou mayest bury thy dead.

Genesis 32:3-4
[3]And Jacob sent messengers before him to Esau his brother unto the land of Seir, the country of Edom.
[4]And he commanded them, saying, Thus shall ye speak unto my lord Esau; Thy servant Jacob saith thus, I have sojourned with Laban, and stayed there until now:

1 Samuel 25:14
[14]But one of the young men told Abigail, Nabal's wife, saying, Behold, David sent messengers out of the wilderness to salute our master; and he railed on them.

Genesis 33:8-11
[8]And he said, What meanest thou by all this drove which I met? And he said, These are to find grace in the sight of my lord.
[9]And Esau said, I have enough, my brother; keep that thou hast unto thyself.
[10]And Jacob said, Nay, I pray thee, if now I have found grace in thy sight, then receive my present at my hand: for therefore I have seen thy face, as though I had seen the face of God, and thou wast pleased with me.
[11]Take, I pray thee, my blessing that is brought to thee; because God hath dealt graciously with me, and because I have enough. And he urged him, and he took it.

Genesis 42:8-10
[8]And Joseph knew his brethren, but they knew not him.
[9]And Joseph remembered the dreams which he dreamed of them, and said unto them, Ye are spies; to see the nakedness of the land ye are come.
[10]And they said unto him, Nay, my lord, but to buy food are thy servants come.

Numbers 12:11
[11]And Aaron said unto Moses, Alas, my lord, I beseech thee, lay not the sin upon us, wherein we have done foolishly, and wherein we have sinned.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many Women today are like Michal:

“And as the ark of the LORD came into the city of David, Michal Saul's daughter looked through a window, and saw king David leaping and dancing before the LORD; and she despised him in her heart.” (2 Samuel 6:16)

“Then David returned to bless his household. And Michal the daughter of Saul came out to meet David, and said, How glorious was the king of Israel to day, who uncovered himself to day in the eyes of the handmaids of his servants, as one of the vain fellows shamelessly uncovereth himself!” (2 Samuel 6:20)

No address as “lord” to King David nor any respectful greeting.
You are not my king. You're just a man. God has not given you authority over me.

On the other hand, Michal was in the wrong in how she behaved toward David who was her husband.

Lol ...this is ridiculous. Keep begging for respect and honor you've not earned and authority you've not been given by God. Keep begging.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So what.

Are you going to ignore Peter?

1 Peter 3:5
1 Peter 3:6

This isn’t personal. Why do you keep making it personal?
You seem to be blind to the fact that YOU ARE NOT MY HUSBAND. lol
Your ego has blinded you!
Bye.

Reactions: Jim B

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have to wonder where bob and the ladies responding to this what they thought of paul saying that not only should women not be over men in leadership roles, but also that women should wear headdress to church?

even if not a requirement these days at an OPC church, i can tell you that if a woman does come in wearing one, its because she listened to her husband. A woman will get a lot of respect if she does wear a headdress to church.

Reactions: Michiah-Imla

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You've got this slate of rules worked out . . . but they are not in the Bible.

For instance . . . where does it say women can teach "young men"?

You are the calling Paul's statement a command, now you offer "a rule", I'm the one saying he wrote about himself. You are the one turning that into a command/rule/maxim/pickyourword, Again, whatever our conclusions, we need to be able to read the Bible for what it says, and to recognize what it isn't saying.

And to realize . . . "It's OK for women to teach men until the 5th grade" that this is arbitrarily made up, and is NOT based in the Bible. Nothing tells us that.

And you realize both Aquilla and Priscilla taught Appolos, right?

Much love!
Don't know anyone remembers Dr. LAURA Schlessinger on the radio. She gave good advice, family stuff, not Bible stuff, but she was Jewish. She counseled couples and made a lot of sense. She said once that "A woman cannot teach a boy to be a man!" I never forgot that. I think it is true.
In the Jewish religion a boy had his Bar Mitzvah at 12 or 13 years old. His body changes @ puberty, his voice, and now he becomes a young man and must take resonsibility for his actions. (I think kids need to be responsible before that btw.) I would think just prior to that time he should be taught about life by a man. 5th grade is 10 years, I guess that's a resonable age to start. I actually remember that I had female teachers up to grade 5, then in 6th grade, started getting male teachers back in the 60's. I liked my ninth grade female teacher - all the boys did, don't quite remember her teachings though?;)

Last edited:
Reactions: marks

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I was taking Paul literally without reading my own beliefs into what he said.
Yes, keep doing that, it is good. A woman has no teaching authority over a man. This is also shown in all the scriptures by the things that were done and happened. This does not mean they could not prophecy or be spiritually gifted in certain ways.

The 'a woman is not allowed to speak in church, but to be quiet', mean not to speak in church services, as in not have teaching authority in the church to speak during the service in a ministerial capacity with men present, as in be a pastor, apostle office of a prophet, in a teaching ministry is what to speak in church means. But they can talk to other people.

Last edited:

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was taking Paul literally without reading my own beliefs into what he said.
I'm taking Paul literally as well within the historical context that he lived. That's the part you fail to do. You see do not speak in church, ignore the rest of the context of the passage and historical context, and say "PAUL SAYS WOMEN CANNOT SPEAK IN A CHURCH BUILDING AT ALL!" That's not exegesis, that is stupidity.

Reactions: Wrangler

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let's move on to Paul's assertion men have authority over women. Quietthinker pointed out men don't have authority over themselves. That would be the Lord's job. How, then, can a man have authority over a woman, usurping God?
How on earth is that usurping God because he put men in authority over women in the church and in the home? You really have no idea what you are talking about.

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"PAUL SAYS WOMEN CANNOT SPEAK IN A CHURCH BUILDING AT ALL!" That's not exegesis, that is stupidity.

If “exegesis” and “historical context” (great swelling words of vanity - 2 Peter 2:18) leads you to contradict scripture, then the stupidity is in following heretical tools like “exegesis” and “historical context”.

“…if thou lift up thy tool upon it, thou hast polluted it.” (Exodus 20:25)

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If “exegesis” and “historical context” (great swelling words of vanity - 2 Peter 2:18) leads you to contradict scripture, then the stupidity is in following heretical tools like “exegesis” and “historical context”.

“…if thou lift up thy tool upon it, thou hast polluted it.” (Exodus 20:25)
Um, who said anything about contradicting Scripture? Nobody. We are talking about rightly dividing the word of truth.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don't know anyone remembers Dr. LAURA Schlessinger on the radio. She gave good advice, family stuff, not Bible stuff, but she was Jewish. She counseled couples and made a lot of sense. She said once that "A woman cannot teach a boy to be a man!" I never forgot that. I think it is true.
In the Jewish religion a boy had his Bar Mitzvah at 12 or 13 years old. His body changes @ puberty, his voice, and now he becomes a young man and must take resonsibility for his actions. (I think kids need to be responsible before that btw.) I would think just prior to that time he should be taught about life by a man. 5th grade is 10 years, I guess that's a resonable age to start. I actually remember that I had female teachers up to grade 5, then in 6th grade, started getting male teachers back in the 60's. I liked my ninth grade female teacher - all the boys did, don't quite remember her teachings though?;)
I remember Dr. Laura, I used to listen to her radio call in show. That was one of the best things she said I thought! Another was, When someone tells you who they are, believe them!

Much love!

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree. @Michiah-Imla is self-glory seeking by taking Scripture out of context. What a shame.

I seek to glorify God by magnifying His word! I have not spoken of myself in this thread! I have spoken of the word of God!

He that speaketh of himself seeketh his own glory: but he that seeketh his glory that sent him, the same is true, and no unrighteousness is in him.” (John 7:18)

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Reactions: TLHKAJ