Do Not Use the Word FATHER??

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In Mathew 23:9 Jesus tells us not to call anyone by the name Father...

9“Do not call anyone on earth your father; for One is your Father, He who is in heaven."

How can this be understood if the 5th commandment states:

Honor Your Mother and Your Father

Catholics call priests Father.
If we notice what Jesus was telling the crowd around Him, we might understand why this practice does not oppose what Jesus was saying.

1Then Jesus spoke to the crowds and to His disciples, 2saying: “The scribes and the Pharisees have seated themselves in the chair of Moses;3therefore all that they tell you, do and observe, but do not do according to their deeds; for they say things and do not do them. 4“They tie up heavy burdens and lay them on men’s shoulders, but they themselves are unwilling to move them with so much as a finger. 5“But they do all their deeds to be noticed by men; for they broaden their phylacteries and lengthen the tassels of their garments. 6“They love the place of honor at banquets and the chief seats in the synagogues, 7and respectful greetings in the market places, and being called Rabbi by men. 8“But do not be called Rabbi; for One is your Teacher, and you are all brothers. 9“Do not call anyone on earth your father; for One is your Father, He who is in heaven. 10“Do not be called leaders; for One is your Leader, that is, Christ. 11“But the greatest among you shall be your servant. 12“Whoever exalts himself shall be humbled; and whoever humbles himself shall be exalted.

If we cannot call anyone father,,,according to the above we also cannot call anyone:
Rabbi
Father
Leader

Are we also ready to give up those titles?
What is the difference? Jesus put all three titles in the same concept.

Jesus meant that we should not give undue respect and honor to these men, but only to God.

Scripture does not say to not use the word "Father".

Scripture is specific, to not CALL any man ON Earth, "Father".

Anyone can say....Many OT men are Historical "fathers"; I would like to introduce you to "my father, my dad"; My "father is married to my mother"; My "father works at this place";
Etc. Etc.

I am specifically speaking, AS a "FIRST" person, to a "SECOND" person.....
ABOUT" a "THIRD" person....

I have not "CALLED" TO the "THIRD" person, "calling the Him", "Father".

Catholics Teach, Their "clerics", "ARE" Titled with the Title "FATHER", and it is "perfectly ACCEPTABLE" for men....
TO CALL Men, "Father".....that their Church has Titled as "FATHER'.

I disagree with "their Church Doctrine", regarding this point.

God Bless,
Taken

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, Matthew 18:17-18 is about the disciples exercising judicial authority. This again sets them on a different level of leadership, but doesn't go so far as to make them what I was referring to as middlemen, such that the rest of the church need not go to God themselves but merely go to them. See, I had a friend who is a pastor and unfortunately went off the deep end on this very thing. He started becoming very controlling, and developed as his motto for ministry "Walking with God, walking with you." I didn't fully realize it at the time, but what he meant was, "I will walk with God, hear what He needs me to tell you to do, and then I will walk with you and explain whatever you need to know. You don't have to go to God yourself, all you have to do is listen to me." It's a dangerous thing to do such a thing in my opinion. He was replacing the role of the Holy Spirit in other people's lives, which is a damnable thing to do, IMO.
THank you.

It sounds as if you believe that the exercising of judicial authority ended when the last Apostle died?

Mary

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
THank you.

It sounds as if you believe that the exercising of judicial authority ended when the last Apostle died?

Mary

Oh heaven's no, LoL. I'm just saying that authority ought to be exercised by the whole body corporately more than just by a select few.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Scripture does not say to not use the word "Father".

Scripture is specific, to not CALL any man ON Earth, "Father".

Anyone can say....Many OT men are Historical "fathers"; I would like to introduce you to "my father, my dad"; My "father is married to my mother"; My "father works at this place";
Etc. Etc.

I am specifically speaking, AS a "FIRST" person, to a "SECOND" person.....
ABOUT" a "THIRD" person....

I have not "CALLED" TO the "THIRD" person, "calling the Him", "Father".

Catholics Teach, Their "clerics", "ARE" Titled with the Title "FATHER", and it is "perfectly ACCEPTABLE" for men....
TO CALL Men, "Father".....that their Church has Titled as "FATHER'.

I disagree with "their Church Doctrine", regarding this point.

God Bless,
Taken
You are allowed to disagree...

BUT...the cc also is allowed to call their clerics Father, based on how they understand the reasoning behind this.

They believe a priest has the responsibility to his congregation as does a father to a family. He is the head of the congregation and Jesus is the head of the church.

Many times you used to hear a priest say...my child, OR....my son, as a father would say. This is not used so much today anymore.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh heaven's no, LoL. I'm just saying that authority ought to be exercised by the whole body corporately more than just by a select few.
Very well. Using your scenario if there are 1,000 members of a church and a vote is put to the people of that church on a doctrinal issue....let’s say the church is voting on allowing gay marriage......and 500 church members vote for it and 500 against it. Or 501 to 499? What does the church do?

Mary

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Very well. Using your scenario if there are 1,000 members of a church and a vote is put to the people of that church on a doctrinal issue....let’s say the church is voting on allowing gay marriage......and 500 church members vote for it and 500 against it. Or 501 to 499? What does the church do?
Call on Marymog, arbitrator. ;)