Does a Christian sin

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think the seed is from God and the tree of life. The gift of the Holy Spirit brings life extending and healing benefits to a person as well as direction from God. And the Holy Spirit probably only remains in a person who doesn't sin. Sinning quenches the spirit and can grieve the spirit of God. So we must obey the spirit and learn to not quench or grieve the spirit. And sometimes that takes time.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 John 1:1 - That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, concerning the Word of life 2 the life was manifested, and we have seen, and bear witness, and declare to you that eternal life which was with the Father and was manifested to us 3 that which we have seen and heard we declare to you, that you also may have fellowship with us; and truly our fellowship is with the Father and with His Son Jesus Christ.

1 John 2:1 - My little children, these things I write to you, so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.

1 John 3:1 - Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God! Therefore the world does not know us, because it did not know Him. 2 Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is.

It clearly sounds like 1 John is written to Christians to me. I'm yet to find a NT book that is written directly to non-Christians, although just because a letter in the NT is written TO Christians does not means that everyone being discussed in the letter IS a genuine Christian.

It appears you are the only person on the planet who I have spoken to that realizes just because a book is written to Christians does not mean everyone being discussed in that letter is Christian. These guys were Prophet's and Apostle's and they were teaching to everybody all the time as I do. I'm writing to Christians here but every now and again I have stuff for those who are not yet Christian. Romans 10:9-10 is a good example: Is that something that is written to the Christian or those looking to become Christian?

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People say things like this on forums, and I have to ask: Is there some kind of switch we can throw to flip between “Flesh” and “Spirit”?

If we could do that, we’d be a lot better people than we are.

God flipped the switch when He raised Christ from the dead. Can we now recon the old man dead?

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then why aren't we better than we are?
Victory in the Christian life is as simple as renewing our minds to who we are and what we have already received in Christ. It’s not the struggle of two natures inside of us. We will continue to struggle with sin if we see ourselves as old sinners saved by grace. And so it's also true we will manifest the change that took place in our new nature when we understand we are not old sinners saved by grace. Thus, we act like being part of the senses world when we see ourselves as being part of the senses world. We act like being part of the Christian world when we see ourselves as being part of Christ—i.e., in our born-again spirits.

Last edited:

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think the seed is from God and the tree of life. The gift of the Holy Spirit brings life extending and healing benefits to a person as well as direction from God. And the Holy Spirit probably only remains in a person who doesn't sin. Sinning quenches the spirit and can grieve the spirit of God. So we must obey the spirit and learn to not quench or grieve the spirit. And sometimes that takes time.
Victory in the Christian life is as simple as renewing our minds to who we are and what we have already received in Christ. It’s not the struggle of two natures inside of us. We will continue to struggle with sin if we see ourselves as old sinners saved by grace. And so it's also true we will manifest the change that took place in our new nature when we understand we are not old sinners saved by grace. Thus, we act like being part of the senses world when we see ourselves as being part of the senses world. We act like being part of the Christian world when we see ourselves as being part of Christ—i.e., in our born-again spirits.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Apostles taught that once born again you will receive Christ within, the spirit, that becomes our new nature. They then walked in that new life and with it produced the power of that spirit which is the power of God. The church in the 4th and 5th century killed the idea of the spirit and the Christ by making them something that is not even real. And that left the world walking in their old sinful nature without knowing the Scriptures or the power of God.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I cannot sin because I'm born again.

So you do believe you are sinlessly perfect! Of course you are dead wrong but that is okay. As long as you live in your body of sin and death and have not had every thought brought into subjection, you will sin.

I find it ironic that In my years of teaching, I taught to live holy lives and avoid sin with a passion! but on this forum there are way too many people who think they have given up sinning and are now living spotless lives. So I remind them they still have their human nature and will fall sooner or later.

When we walk in the Spirit we never sin. but no one has been able to accomplish that 24/7 for a lifetime yet. And you will not be the first one to do it either.

Reactions: mailmandan

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you do believe you are sinlessly perfect! Of course you are dead wrong but that is okay. As long as you live in your body of sin and death and have not had every thought brought into subjection, you will sin.

I find it ironic that In my years of teaching, I taught to live holy lives and avoid sin with a passion! but on this forum there are way too many people who think they have given up sinning and are now living spotless lives. So I remind them they still have their human nature and will fall sooner or later.

When we walk in the Spirit we never sin. but no one has been able to accomplish that 24/7 for a lifetime yet. And you will not be the first one to do it either.

There has to be a reason why you add the word "perfect" because I don't see that word in the Scriptures.

The Bible says...

Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin, for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

The Bible does not say...

Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin and is perfect, for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin and therefore is perfect, because he is born of God.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There has to be a reason why you add the word "perfect" because I don't see that word in the Scriptures.

The Bible says...

Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin, for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

The Bible does not say...

Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin and is perfect, for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin and therefore is perfect, because he is born of God.
Now you are just being coy and trying to play word games- sinlessly perfect simply means you believe you do not sin any more! that is what you are saying- you no longer sin and that=sinlessly perfect or whatever other name you wish to label it.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now you are just being coy and trying to play word games- sinlessly perfect simply means you believe you do not sin any more! that is what you are saying- you no longer sin and that=sinlessly perfect or whatever other name you wish to label it.

I don't play games or word games. But if we are going to talk Bible. Let's use the words in the Bible. There is no place where it says "we cannot sin and or because we are perfect." But there are a number of places that say we "cannot sin or we are dead to sin."

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't play games or word games. But if we are going to talk Bible. Let's use the words in the Bible. There is no place where it says "we cannot sin and or because we are perfect." But there are a number of places that say we "cannot sin or we are dead to sin."

So have you ceased from sinning and because you cannot sin- do you no longer sin? You know what I am asking so stop dodging.

And sinlessly perfect is a perfect synonym for cannot sin any longer! You know that.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So have you ceased from sinning and because you cannot sin- do you no longer sin? You know what I am asking so stop dodging.

And sinlessly perfect is a perfect synonym for cannot sin any longer! You know that.

It's all over the Bible and I did not write the book. Just a few listed below and no place mentions the language you use such as sinlessly perfect.

In the book of Colossians, we read "putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:" We did not put it off. It was the circumcision of Christ. Two verses later we read "together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;..." Again, it's "in him" or "with him." I also want to get the book of Hebrews in here where we see Christ offered himself once "for this he did once" and not like the high priest who offered up the sacrifice daily. The Lord Christ "after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;..."

Peter has the same mindset as Paul when he writes in 1 Peter "that we, being dead to sins,..." Peter goes on to say that Christ suffered once for sins so as to bring us to God, and so this is why the Scripture reads "being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:" Again, the old man crucified and the new man put in its place. Peter again, "ceased from sin;..." Put that mindset on or as Peter writes "arm yourself likewise with the same mind:" Because he that has suffered in the flesh or was crucified in the flesh has put on the new man because the other one is dead. That new person "hath ceased from sin;..."

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's all over the Bible and I did not write the book. Just a few listed below and no place mentions the language you use such as sinlessly perfect.

In the book of Colossians, we read "putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:" We did not put it off. It was the circumcision of Christ. Two verses later we read "together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;..." Again, it's "in him" or "with him." I also want to get the book of Hebrews in here where we see Christ offered himself once "for this he did once" and not like the high priest who offered up the sacrifice daily. The Lord Christ "after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;..."

Peter has the same mindset as Paul when he writes in 1 Peter "that we, being dead to sins,..." Peter goes on to say that Christ suffered once for sins so as to bring us to God, and so this is why the Scripture reads "being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:" Again, the old man crucified and the new man put in its place. Peter again, "ceased from sin;..." Put that mindset on or as Peter writes "arm yourself likewise with the same mind:" Because he that has suffered in the flesh or was crucified in the flesh has put on the new man because the other one is dead. That new person "hath ceased from sin;..."

We are done. You know what I am asking and you are dodging answering the question. Have the last word. I find you disingenuous at best.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are done. You know what I am asking and you are dodging answering the question. Have the last word. I find you disingenuous at best.

There has to be a reason why you think I know what you are asking when I don't according to you... but I don't know what it is. Perhaps we are just not on the same page.

Gospel Believer

Aug 2, 2019
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I cannot sin because I'm born again.

Let me talk to your spouse for five minutes.....we’ll soon see how “ sinless” you are.....lol.....

If Believers do not sin, why does God say that he “ Chastises” His sons and all of those that He loves?
Does he Chastise those who do “not” commit sins?

God says that if we sin we are to go BOLDLY to His “ Throne Of Grace”....... why have that Throne if their is no need for it?

The Bible says that Jesus “ Lives” to be our Advocate ......kinda like our Heavenly Defense Attorney....Who needs an Advocate if they have somehow managed to “ live above sin?”

I can take the Bible and “ prove “ that we will continue to sin as Believers and I can take the Same Bible and “ prove” that you will never sin again now that you are Born Again.....

So what are we left to do?

How about using our God- Given brain and seeing and admitting that if we just look at reality, it’s obvious that if we are not sinning in deed, we are at least sinning in thought......we all at times and in times of weakness or foolishness , have secrets thoughts that would shame hell ......

Personally, when I sin , I do the same thing with it that God does —- I put it on the Cross! Then I thank Him for His Grace.....then I get on with my life and try to take any Chastisement due me like a man....The Chastisement is there to help me grow.....even though it is not pleasant .....our children do not always understand it when we punish them and they sure as heck don’t like it....but we all know that any Chastisement is for their own good....God is our “ Heavenly” Father and He deals with Bis Foolish and weak and errant Children in that same manner—— the Important thing is to make Certain that you are a “ Child” Of His.....do that by Resting in His Gospel Of Grace ( 1Cor15:1-4) .......

Last edited:

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There has to be a reason why you think I know what you are asking when I don't according to you... but I don't know what it is. Perhaps we are just not on the same page.

Well then I will give you one more shot and I will try to make my sords simple to understand.

Do you believe because you are in Christ and cannot sin, you no longer commit sin at any time?