Does God create Evil?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amadeus what does that mean?
Break up your fallow ground? Have you ever farmed or planted a garden? I have never farmed but before my physical body weakened to where I could not, I planted a garden every spring.

You may be able to scatter good seed on untilled soil in a very few places and get some kind of a crop... that is some good fruit. But... there is a whole lot of land, soil that is, which will yield nothing at all from such careless planting. When I was very young and strong, I would turn over the soil with a shovel and then slice through the big clods of dirt until it was almost fine. [In later years I used a rototiller.]

Then depending on the richness of the soil some fertilizer might be mixed into it before actually planting anything. The best water for me was always that which fell directly from the sky but sometimes it would be too dry for too long and I would have to help things along with water from my garden hose.

Over the years I had some beautiful gardens, but what you start with does make a difference. In California in the Santa Clara valley the soil was fantastic and my first gardening efforts amazed me.

On the other hand, when my job took me to Wyoming, I discovered how bad the soil could be. Two years I was there, and my best efforts could not overcome that alkaline soil. Was it like that thorn filled soil where we are warned not to sow? While Wyoming may be great country for cattle and for mining, where I was in the Rock Springs-Green River area, forget gardening.

In the Bible they were supposed to leave the land alone in the 7th year. It is supposed to be good for the land to do that. Give it an opportunity to replenish itself as God intended. Then come that following year, break up that fallow ground and plant it again.

@MatthewG Are you getting an idea now what Jeremiah was talking about...?

"And he spake many things unto them in parables, saying, Behold, a sower went forth to sow;
And when he sowed, some seeds fell by the way side, and the fowls came and devoured them up:
Some fell upon stony places, where they had not much earth: and forthwith they sprung up, because they had no deepness of earth:
And when the sun was up, they were scorched; and because they had no root, they withered away.
And some fell among thorns; and the thorns sprung up, and choked them:
But other fell into good ground, and brought forth fruit, some an hundredfold, some sixtyfold, some thirtyfold.
Who hath ears to hear, let him hear" Matt 13:3-9

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Break up your fallow ground? Have you ever farmed or planted a garden? I have never farmed but before my physical body weakened to where I could not, I planted a garden every spring.

You may be able to scatter good seed on untilled soil in a very few places and get some kind of a crop... that is some good fruit. But... there is a whole lot of land, soil that is, which will yield nothing at all from such careless planting. When I was very young and strong, I would turn over the soil with a shovel and then slice through the big clods of dirt until it was almost fine. [In later years I used a rototiller.]

Then depending on the richness of the soil some fertilizer might be mixed into it before actually planting anything. The best water for me was always that which fell directly from the sky but sometimes it would be too dry for too long and I would have to help things along with water from my garden hose.

Over the years I had some beautiful gardens, but what you start with does make a difference. In California in the Santa Clara valley the soil was fantastic and my first gardening efforts amazed me.

On the other hand, when my job took me to Wyoming, I discovered how bad the soil could be. Two years I was there, and my best efforts could not overcome that alkaline soil. Was it like that thorn filled soil where we are warned not to sow? While Wyoming may be great country for cattle and for mining, where I was in the Rock Springs-Green River area, forget gardening.

In the Bible they were supposed to leave the land alone in the 7th year. It is supposed to be good for the land to do that. Give it an opportunity to replenish itself as God intended. Then come that following year, break up that fallow ground and plant it again.

@MatthewG Are you getting an idea now what Jeremiah was talking about...?

"And he spake many things unto them in parables, saying, Behold, a sower went forth to sow;
And when he sowed, some seeds fell by the way side, and the fowls came and devoured them up:
Some fell upon stony places, where they had not much earth: and forthwith they sprung up, because they had no deepness of earth:
And when the sun was up, they were scorched; and because they had no root, they withered away.
And some fell among thorns; and the thorns sprung up, and choked them:
But other fell into good ground, and brought forth fruit, some an hundredfold, some sixtyfold, some thirtyfold.
Who hath ears to hear, let him hear" Matt 13:3-9
This kind of stuff is great!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amadeus,

Thank you for taking time to explain this scripture. Though I have never planted a garden, you do remind me how the one we abide in is Jesus. And because of Him we are able to have peace with God being justified by faith. Jesus is the everlasting waters, everlasting bread. What an amazing support system you, me, and the world has that is freely give to all man kind. It’s important to be rooted in the vine of Christ, and remembering who you are and what you been given. Being a Child of God, and that the Holy Spirit that raised Christ up from the dead and the Spirit of Christ given by God indwells in us by faith in the written Gospel of Christ.

Reactions: amadeus

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God made evil possible by giving Adam and Eve one "no no".

"But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die." Gen 2:17

That was "free will", the ability to obey God or not! Before they disobeyed God evil was only a possibility. When they disobeyed Him, it became a reality! To choose to go our way instead of God's Way is evil when we do it.

Just like the Ten Commandments made sin come alive. Romans 7:9

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ohh, so those guys got drowned because the plumbing sprung a really bad leak?

It was a case of hybrids. Half demon, half human. God wiped them out. But it happened again - Goliath and his brothers, and their king and nation.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It was a case of hybrids. Half demon, half human. God wiped them out. But it happened again - Goliath and his brothers, and their king and nation.
do Demons have sex organs....what on earth for?.... to make baby demons?....I wonder if their women have breasts as well?

Reactions: Lambano

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does God create Evil?
OP ^

God DID create evil...WHY?

If a man does NOT know the concept OF EVIL, by what measure can a man know what IS the concept OF GOOD?

What REWARD is there IF a mans ONLY CHOICE IS Good?

IS God exalted when a mans CHOICE is limited TO ONLY knowing a GOOD God?....uh no.

Isa 45:
[2] I will go before thee, and make the crooked places straight: I will break in pieces the gates of brass, and cut in sunder the bars of iron:
[3] And I will give thee the treasures of darkness, and hidden riches of secret places, that thou mayest know that I, the LORD, which call thee by thy name, am the God of Israel.

[7] I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things. Isa 45:7

Forming light, and preparing darkness, Making peace, and preparing evil, I am Jehovah, doing all these things.' Isa 45:7 (YLT)

I form the light, and create darkness. I make peace, and create calamity. I am Yahweh, who does all these things. Isa 45:7 (WEB)

Hello to you,

Someone ask a good question Does God create evil?

This is my explanation of how it is a yes to the question. You may see differently, and please feel free to share why after considering my explanation.

Yes, by being who he is. People do not like that he is holy and righteous, thus He can create evil by his presence.

God being within the body of Jesus by the Holy Spirit of God created evil motives and agendas in how the people of that day would try to kill Jesus.

Also in absence of his presence for those who wander in darkness and where evil resides in the heart of the individual.

An example here; though Judas was around Jesus for 3 years and was very much part of the Gospel and leading to the turn over to Christ. It seems that the non desire to desire Christ and instead taken 30 silver instead sounded much better than being with and doing what he desired to be done. Lead to the man shrouded in darkness and guilt in which he decided to take his own life.

This is how I’ve been explained how to understand pertaining to does God create evil. He himself is not evil, nor darkness residing with him, nor does he sift a shadow. God is good, and God is love, God is spirit.

In Christ;

Matthew Gallagher

Please share your own thoughts, if you would like.

I believe similarly Matt, God is good, and He is Love. Certain phrases in the Bible does tend to make one think that Jehovah is evil. Many seem to overlook the appearing contrast between Jesus and Jehovah, thinking that Jesus is much different than Jehovah, but Jesus clearly stated that by observing him, you observe Jehovah as well, and that he was doing the Fathers will not his own. So anyone who is thinking Jehovah would have handled it differently had He came personally is simply lacking understanding.

That is where faith comes in, James says with evil things God cannot be tried, so while the Bible is far from being complete in full explanation, we have to take it on faith that God is good, and loving. The time to make the honest evaluation of course is not now, we have lived in satans world since the sin of Adam, and we will not see the contrast of God's rulership vs ours until the wicked are removed and the Kingdom comes. Then when satan is released, we will have seen the actual distinction between the two Gods, and make an educated choice with which one we will stand with. It would seem logical that no one would side with satan, but it is already prophesied that as many as the grains of sand will choose to stand with him
(Revelation 20:7, 8) . . .Now as soon as the 1,000 years have ended, Satan will be released from his prison, 8 and he will go out to mislead those nations in the four corners of the earth, Gog and Maʹgog, to gather them together for the war. The number of these is as the sand of the sea.

Great topic, but I am afraid that it is unanswerable at this time, other than opinion that is.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Secondary causation is the philosophical proposition that all material and corporeal objects, having been created by God with their own intrinsic potentialities, are subsequently empowered to evolve independently in accordance with natural law. (Wikipedia)

The philosophers talk about Primary Causes and Secondary Causes. God created everything there is and created the rules under which everything operates; that's Primary Cause. Evil is usually considered a "Secondary Cause". Is God morally responsible for Secondary Causes created by His creatures under the operating principles He created? I don't know. I dropped that Philosophy class, and the question is way above my paygrade. I do trust that God's plan takes Evil into account, so Evil must have its purpose.

Last edited:

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The NASB translators, being wary of making God responsible for Evil, translated that as "I create calamity".

Eh...don’t agree with that. That gives way to ooooh, God creates “calamity’...but hey, look at man...he paves the way for peace and safety...

The creation established a choice. The Knowledge created the consequences for each choice.

Reactions: amadeus

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Someone ask a good question Does God create evil?

Please share your own thoughts, if you would like.

The ultimate answer is NO.

But still, the atheists will still try to use that Isaiah 45:7 Scripture against God.

Apostle John said that the devil sinned from the beginning. Thus Satan is the creator of evil, because he was first that sinned against God in coveting His Throne. Per the parable in Ezekiel 28, God showed that He originally created Satan perfect in his ways as a covering cherub (to guard His Throne). When Satan coveted God's Throne, that is when sin and evil actually first entered in, even before Adam was formed.

Yet for this present world, God showed in Isaiah 10 using "the Assyrian" as a type, God showed that He uses Satan as a punishing rod upon the rebellious. In that sense, God 'uses'... evil for this present world time, but still He is not the original author of it; Satan is. This is also why in God's future Kingdom to come, after the future "lake of fire" destruction of Revelation 20, there will be no more sin, no more death, and thus no more evil, ever again.