Drinking Alcohol, should a Christian do it?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Dan Clarkston if Jesus paid for sin, does God count the sins and trespasses of others against them?

Is God gonna be mad at a person from simply drinking, ? Does the person from the heart when they do these things start thinking about murdering people, or seeking revenge?

Its the heart God looks at not the outward appearance.

1 Samuel 16:7
7 But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The Lord does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.”

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Contrary verses from two different writers
Can lead into curses and riot inciters.
james nor paul contradicted each other . Yet many teachers so called try and tell us they did .
THERE are no contrary verses in their letters . THERE BE but a lack of understanding of men who loved
their own ideals , own teachings . BUT THERE IS NO CONTRADICTION . You would have learned this
IF ONLY ..............................IF ONLY ..................
Time to choose ye this day . are we gonna follow men and their doctrines , are we gonna follow
what seemth right and good , or are we GONNA FOLLOW THE LAMB and LEARN THAT BIBLE FOR OURSELVES .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Dan Clarkston if Jesus paid for sin, does God count the sins and trespasses of others against them?

Is God gonna be mad at a person from simply drinking, ? Does the person from the heart when they do these things start thinking about murdering people, or seeking revenge?

Its the heart God looks at not the outward appearance.

1 Samuel 16:7
7 But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The Lord does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.”
JESUS aint the ministir of sin . drunkeness is sin . moderation is not . though if one believes it to be sin then to them it is sin .
This pertains only to meats , drinks and days . NOT TO ACTUAL SIN .
NOW JESUS DID pay the price of our sins , BUT NEVER FORGET GOD WONT BE MOCKED .
Lets not fool ourselves into thinking We can do this or that and its all well GOD wont hold it against us .
CAUSE has it not been said , has it not been told , has it not be written
SHALL we continue in sin that grace may abound . GOD FORBID . WHO we serve BE WHOSE WE ARE .
OR GOD wont be mocked , dont be decieved churches , He who sows the the flesh shall of the flesh reap CORRUPTOIN
he who sows the SPIRIT shall of the SPIRIT reap EVER LASTING LIFE .
JESUS aint holding no diverse inclusive rainbows mathew , nor is he holding up hundred dollar bills yall and
heaping up that money . TOO many have come to another jesus , IT WONT , IT CANT , AND IT SHANT save them .
Too many are running into a sin accepting very broad inclusive pathway to GOD . AND BELIEVE YOU ME , IT WILL END
with their DESTRUCTION . ITS LOVE WONT BE SAVING ONE OF THEM . ITS LOVE COMETH OF THE WORLD , NOT GOD .
and that be a FACT .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is to be sober?
3525 nḗphō – properly, to be sober (not drunk), not intoxicated; (figuratively) free from illusion, i.e. from the intoxicating influences of sin (like the impact of selfish passion, greed, etc.).

3525 /nḗphō ("be sober, unintoxicated") refers to having presence of mind (clear judgment), enabling someone to be temperate (self-controlled). 3525 /nḗphō ("uninfluenced by intoxicants") means to have "one's wits (faculties) about them," which is the opposite of being irrational.

Reactions: amigo de christo

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The new standard on pretty...

Gets ya a big beer belly
Gets ya plenty of tattoos on the arms and legs

And... Woo Hoo! Don't we look nice!

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Gets ya a big beer belly

The old Pentecostal Holiness standard on pretty. Sorry guys! Won't find that look anymore!
392940272_10229639449473599_628872655332190200_n.jpg

Reactions: Lambano

bluedragon

Aug 7, 2021
Birmingham, Al
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I gamble a bit.

That's sinful behavior.

Where does it state that? other than in your mind because you can't resist?

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Gets ya a big beer belly

Maybe we can try some mascara and the Alice Cooper look with all of that! Gets ya a pitchfork and yer all set!
landscape-1455907122-elle-marc-jacobs-alice-cooper.jpg

Reactions: Lambano

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is strong drink?
What is drunkenness?
What is to be sober?

Most of this is obvious…..

Sober.....not drinking....but it does not always equate to good or smart conduct.

Drunkenness? What is a storm? An undefined level of intoxication and the affects of that level is dependant on the individual. The term is used in the Bible as a negative.... so I have to assume it is something you can see....staggering slurring acting stupid. But by no definition is drunkenness equated to just drinking or drinking in moderation just as having a normal meal is not gluttony.

Strong drink? Like I said it is not defined in the scriptures, so I am not going to say what they mean, other than it is not wine......“No one puts new wine into old wineskins; otherwise the wine will burst the skins, and the wine is lost and the skins as well; but one puts new wine into fresh wineskins.” The reason they will burst is that during the fermentation process the wine expands....if you are using old wineskins that have been already used to make wine they may not be able to expand again and will burst.

As I said Christ drank and wine was part of the examples He used in His teachings and one of His miracles because it was important to the festivities….wine….vineyards in His parables, the Last Supper. As He used the illustrations in the positive it would mean wine consumption was part of the norm.

And Just a couple more fun facts. The terms new wine and winepress.
The terms grape juice or grape drink does not appear in the scriptures because the main intent of the grape harvest was wine. There is a lot effort and time and talent in raising grapes and that all comes down to the intent of making wine. Just like the word wineskins appear in the scriptures and it denotes the intent for wine…. grapeskins? In fact wineskins and winepresses are actual words grapeskins or grapepresses are not….Who would want to carry around grapes in skins in the heat….grape juice would go bad in the heat.

Post 130 and 137 have more details..

Last edited:

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It has been rumored to have been said of many that, “Man's extremity is God's opportunity.”

But as far as I am concerned, “Man's extremity is God's big headache.”

Give the devil an inch and he will take a mile. Be careful that the little wine does not become something greater.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It has been rumored to have been said of many that, “Man's extremity is God's opportunity.”

But as far as I am concerned, “Man's extremity is God's big headache.”

Give the devil an inch and he will take a mile. Be careful that the little wine does not become something greater.

Good advise…..When Christ was having dinner and wine with people, He may have told them to be careful….But there is no indication that He associated it with giving the Devil an inch.

And it would not hurt for a preacher to tell people to be careful with alcohol.

And tell people to eat right but not too much.

And tell people to exercise.

And tell people to drive carefully.

Or not to leave their children home alone.

I know of people that smoked and died at 30 and one guy that smoked and chewed and died in his sleep in his 90’s. Some people are stone makers….kidney stones and some people are cancer makers….again modification is a good rule and look for indications that it is not agreeing with ya.

This is all good…..but it goes south when you try to insert it into the scriptures.

Last edited:

Dan Clarkston

Dec 16, 2023
Denver Colorado
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do not believe it is good to go plot murder.

Most churches today would say one doing this will still go to Heaven because all their future sins have already been forgiven.

All the so called "christian" rapists and child molesters really enjoy this doctrine because they can feel good about themselves thinking they are still saved as they continue to rape and molest.

This false teaching is a win win for the sinner that embraces once saved always saved which most churches preach now.

bluedragon

Aug 7, 2021
Birmingham, Al
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good excuse to continue in sinful behavior!

If you did not already know games of chance were sinful behavior you would not be asking about it.

Let's try this again........Where does the Bile say to avoid "Games of Chance?

(I'm already ahead) .......it doesn't

Because you made it up .......follow it .......Don't condemn others because your Bible has an extra page .......

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Most churches today would say one doing this will still go to Heaven because all their future sins have already been forgiven.

All the so called "christian" rapists and child molesters really enjoy this doctrine because they can feel good about themselves thinking they are still saved as they continue to rape and molest.

This false teaching is a win win for the sinner that embraces once saved always saved which most churches preach now.
It is amazing that Jesus does forgive those who end up harming children, and God is an avenger to those who do injustice. Surely there are some whom do repent and change their mind about their prior actions. To me, you continue to assert as though I say “go and sin so grace may abound.” I do believe that a person who is in Christ desires not to sin. Putting the old life into the grave and raising to newness of life in Christ.

Dan Clarkston

Dec 16, 2023
Denver Colorado
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One commonly referenced verse is found in 1 Timothy 6:10, which states, "For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil." This verse is often used to caution against the pursuit of wealth through activities like gambling, where the primary motivation can be monetary gain.

Bible Verses About Gambling

Proverbs 13:11: Wealth gained hastily will dwindle, but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.

Hebrews 13:5: Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”

Matthew 6:24: “No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money.

Ecclesiastes 5:10: He who loves money will not be satisfied with money, nor he who loves wealth with his income; this also is vanity.

1 Timothy 6:9-10: But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation, into a snare, into many senseless and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs.

Luke 12:15: And he said to them, “Take care, and be on your guard against all covetousness, for one's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.”

Ephesians 4:28: Let the thief no longer steal, but rather let him labor, doing honest work with his own hands, so that he may have something to share with anyone in need.

Proverbs 28:22: A stingy man hastens after wealth and does not know that poverty will come upon him.