Eternal Security

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
of in scripture using loose analogies, like sonship and marriage,
Loose analogies? I don't think so. That again goes towards the fundamental difference in how we read and present Scripture.

Ephesians 5:25-33 KJV
25) Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
26) That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
27) That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.
28) So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself.
29) For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church:
30) For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.
31) For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.
32) This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.
33) Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself; and the wife see that she reverence her husband.

but I speak concerning Christ and the church = primary topic

For this cause = the reason God instituted marriage

For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones = This is a great mystery

Paul here reveals a mystery - something hidden until now - that we are members of Christ's body, of His flesh, and of His bones. Just like when He stood with the disciples, touch me! A spirit does not have flesh and bone as you see I have! This is My real body!

We are His body, and He cares for us accordingly.

For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones. For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother and marry his wife, and they shall be one flesh.

For this cause.

Because we are become flesh and bone of Jesus Christ, that's why God instituted marriage. Marriage between man and woman was given to show God's intended relationship with us. Marriage is one of those types and shadows. What it pictures, however, is no shadow. It's the real deal.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You didn't really want your questions answered?
I don't require further exposition on that post. Not needed.

Just like you don't need to manufacture these kinds of blanket statements to attribute to me. I've seen all this before you know.

Of course . . .

If you look back at that post, I ended up explaining it now, anyway, lol.

Apparently you already recognized it wasn't needed . . . but chose to post your pot shot anyway, it seems.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Children grow up to leave their parent's house and take care of themselves.
Still think the analogy of being a child of God is not so loose?
I don't find "loose language" in the Bible. Regardless of statistics on human children's sociological habits.

Much love!

Reactions: GRACE ambassador

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
If we are saved by ius doing. Then we save ourselves. Its not God clinging to us and keeping us as he promised

I cling to God to be blessed. I depend on him to cling to me and my hope is the fact that I have the seal of the spirit as a pledge of his unfailing love.
God clings to you.
It's YOU that must also cling to Him.
Jesus said if we abide in Him we will not be thrown out as dead branches.
Paul said to hold on tight...
Colossians 1:21-23
21And although you were formerly alienated and hostile in mind, engaged in evil deeds,
22yet He has now reconciled you in His fleshly body through death, in order to present you before Him holy and blameless and beyond reproach—
23if indeed you continue in the faith firmly established and steadfast, and not moved away from the hope of the gospel that you have heard, which was proclaimed in all creation under heaven, and of which I, Paul, was made a minister.

1 Corinthians 9:27
27but I discipline my body and make it my slave, so that, after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified.

What do the above mean to you?

If I can lose salvation for any reason. No matter what. Then I have no hope. Because I am flawed. I can’t keep myself saved, I can;t keep myself from falling, I can’t keep myself from lacking faith. Thats why John wrote a whole book and told us he wrote those things to us so we may KNOW we have eternal life, and by it, continue to believe in his name.
Why would you have no hope?
Are you planning to abandon God?

The basis of my hope, the basis of my walk, the basis of my enduring suffering and tribulation and considering it a momentary light affliction is based on the fact I am eternally secure. That no matter where I try to go, God is there. He will let me do what I want, he does not remove my free will. But he will always prove he is trustworthy. I may walk away for a bit (I did for 5 years) but I will always come back to God. Because he has proven himself. Anyone who has truly experienced Gods love then goes into the world. Will soon realise whey they found God in the first place. Because God is trustworthy, Thats why the prodigal son returned home. And thats also why John said plainly. A person who left and outright denies Christ has never been of us, because no one who experienced christ and returns to the world would deny that christ was and is trustworthy,

I left as a prodigal child because of circumstances of life. I turned to sin, and the worlds ways. it took my all of 5 years for God to call me at the right time and I returned. God did nto leave me, even though I walked away. My best friend called me at just the right moment, And that was God leaving the flock to come find his lost sheep. And I returned.

I praise god for this

Eternal life and eternal security is the second most important doctrine in christian theology. The first being the cross.
Amen and praise be to God for what you say above.
Personally, I don't know how anyone could leave God's love.

But I do have a question for you:
Were you still saved those 5 years that you left and decided who you would serve?
Romans 6:16

You yourself seem to be proof that one could abandon God, hopefully just for a while.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Are you supposing that the branches which were broken off, that these were born again believers losing their salvation? Or unbelievers, unsaved, not regenerated, but having rejected the message of the Gospel?

Much love!
The Jews didn't refer to themselves as born again believers.
The branches are the Jews.
The Jews that had no faith, that rejected the message of the gospel.

Please make your point.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
If you remain in my home, you are one of my residents. If you are not remaining in my home, you are not.

Would you suppose that the one who does not remain in my home previously did?

Much love!
Of course the one who does not REMAIN in the home previously was in it.

Jesus said we are to REMAIN in His home (to use your analogy)...
This means it is possible to leave that home.

It's very clear.

John 5:10
If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in his love.

Hebrews 3:6
But Christ is faithful over God's house as a son. And we are his house if indeed we hold fast our confidence and our boasting in our hope.

Revelation 3:5
He who overcomes shall thus be clothed in white garments, and I will not erase his name from the Book of Life...

(which means you can be).

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of course the one who does not REMAIN in the home previously was in it.
I thought that's what you might have been thinking.

Think of it this way. We're walking down a row of houses. I point to one, and say, You have to remain in this one if you are to be saved. Otherwise you will be swept away. So you enter that house to remain there. And the door shuts and locks behind you.

Hebrews 3:6
But Christ is faithful over God's house as a son. And we are his house if indeed we hold fast our confidence and our boasting in our hope.

There are other houses you can camp out in, and think you are in the right one, but when you find you "no longer believe", your belief was something other than saving faith in Christ. Christ is faithful over God's house as a Son. Not a hireling, as a Son. Christ is faithful. Not you or me, Christ.

We are His house if we hold fast our confidence, and if we don't hold fast our confidence, we are not His house. Best not to be confused over which you are, His house, or some other house.

Much love!

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
So you keep yourself saved by keeping believing. You keep yourself in God's good graces, so long as you do.

By who's faith are you justified, according to the Bible?

Much love!
I answer to biblical verses marks.
I posted verses that show we are saved by OUR FAITH.

If you can show the opposite, please do.

If one believes...he is saved.
To be saved ONE MUST BELIEVE.
John 3:16

If one does not believe...he is not saved.
Whenever that may happen....
They have fallen away from the faith.

Revelation 2:4-5
But I have this against you, that you have abandoned the love you had at first. Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent, and do the works you did at first. If not, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place, unless you repent.

Hebrews 3:12-19
Take care, brothers, lest there be in any of you an evil, unbelieving heart, leading you to fall away from the living God. But exhort one another every day, as long as it is called “today,” that none of you may be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin. For we have come to share in Christ, if indeed we hold our original confidence firm to the end. As it is said, “Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts as in the rebellion.” For who were those who heard and yet rebelled? Was it not all those who left Egypt led by Moses? ...

1 Timothy 4:16
Keep a close watch on yourself and on the teaching. Persist in this, for by so doing you will save both yourself and your hearers.

and more...

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Jews didn't refer to themselves as born again believers.
The branches are the Jews.
The Jews that had no faith, that rejected the message of the gospel.

Please make your point.
I'm asking you whether in your estimation that where Paul says "branches were broken off", were these people of whom it was written in Romans 6 had been baptized into Christ, into His death, buried with Him in baptism? That as Christ died, they also died, and having died, were made free from sin?

I don't think so myself. I'm wondering if that's what you think? And if so, why?

Much love!

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Having believed IN Jesus, we are justified by the faith OF Jesus. If you don't first believe IN Jesus, you won't be justified by the faith OF Jesus. But even so, having believed IN Jesus, we are justified by the faith OF Jesus.

You seem to deride that I repeat certain verses, and stick by their simple words, but what else should I do? I read what it says, and believe what it says. Nothing is going to change these simple truths, and none of the other Scriptures actually do conflict.

I've posted several to show that, but you haven't responded, so, what can I say?

Much love!
I respond to all verses.
If you think I haven't, please post them again...

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
It sounds like you think some of these verses mean that we are NOT justified by the faith that comes from Jesus, is that so?

Much love!
That is so.
We are not justified by the faith that comes from Jesus...however this language you use is not very clear.
We are justified by OUR OWN FAITH....

Ephesians 2:8
8For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God;
9not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.

We are saved by God's GRACE
through FAITH (our faith in God)

I posted more verses regarding this.

IF you mean that our faith is a gift from God,,,then we can agree.
In Ephesians 2:8 the gift is GRACE, FAITH and SALVATION.
The gift refers to all 3.