Explain & Apply John 16:13

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Sheffield, Yorkshire, home of Robin Hood.
robinhood-loxley.weebly.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
These two verses below reproves why there can be no more filling of the Spirit after salvation.

John 6:35 And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.

Matthew 9:17 Neither do men put new wine into old bottles: else the bottles break, and the wine runneth out, and the bottles perish: but they put new wine into new bottles, and both are preserved.
Those two verses are not about the Holy Spirit.

Enow

Feb 5, 2020
Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Those two verses are not about the Holy Spirit.

It is about salvation also known as born again of the Spirit. They testify to the promise from Jesus that we would never seek to be filled again as in never hungering nor thirsting. We are new creature in Christ and thus always Spirit-filled so we can be held accountable for what we sow towards, the fruits of the Spirit or the works of the flesh. We are not leaky vessels that need a continual filling. Here is another reference to why there can be no more filling because that would look like the Father was evil because He did not give you the Holy Spirit the first time as promised at your salvation for knocking at the door of Jesus Christ.

Luke 11:9 And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. 10 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened. 11 If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent? 12 Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? 13 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?

John 6:35 And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.

Matthew 9:17 Neither do men put new wine into old bottles: else the bottles break, and the wine runneth out, and the bottles perish: but they put new wine into new bottles, and both are preserved.

So apply those verses to the promise at our salvation and may He help you to see that our always being Spirit-filled is God's testimony in us that He has saved us. And that is why there are no other times for a saved believer to receive the Holy Spirit to avoid giving another calling, preaching another Jesus, another spirit , and another gospel.

2 Corinthians 11:3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ. 4 For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.

Beware, brother.

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It is about salvation also known as born again of the Spirit. They testify to the promise from Jesus that we would never seek to be filled again as in never hungering nor thirsting. We are new creature in Christ and thus always Spirit-filled so we can be held accountable for what we sow towards, the fruits of the Spirit or the works of the flesh. We are not leaky vessels that need a continual filling. Here is another reference to why there can be no more filling because that would look like the Father was evil because He did not give you the Holy Spirit the first time as promised at your salvation for knocking at the door of Jesus Christ.

Luke 11:9 And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. 10 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened. 11 If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent? 12 Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? 13 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?

So apply those verses to the promise at our salvation and may He help you to see that our always being Spirit-filled is God's testimony in us that He has saved us. And that is why there are no other times for a saved believer to receive the Holy Spirit to avoid giving another calling, preaching another Jesus, another spirit , and another gospel.

2 Corinthians 11:3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ. 4 For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.

Beware, brother.
The gifts of the Holy Spirit come after conversion, provided we seek after them.

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
The gifts of the Holy Spirit come after conversion, provided we seek after them.
Yes, we should stir up any gift we may have, fanning it into flame if it has been quenched
2Ti 1:6
(6) Therefore I remind you to stir up the gift of God which is in you through the laying on of my hands.
1Th 5:19-20
(19) Do not quench the Spirit.
(20) Do not despise prophecies.

Reactions: Cooper

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, we should stir up any gift we may have, fanning it into flame if it has been quenched
(6) Therefore I remind you to stir up the gift of God which is in you through the laying on of my hands.
Wonderful, I shall add those scriptures to my notes. Thank you.

Reactions: Stumpmaster

Enow

Feb 5, 2020
Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The gifts are not received by receiving the Holy Spirit again apart from salvation as some modern day tongues speakers claim for why that tongue is not coming with interpretation, but is just babbling gibberish nonsense for which they assume is for private use.

Note how Paul set the precedent for these spiritual gifts in chapter 12 for why many are reading inbetween the lines unnecessarily about tongues in chapter 14 as if Paul was exalting tongues for private use was better than all spiritual gifts combined when he was trying to show why the gift of prophesy was better than tongues instead, because tongues is not a stand alone gift for why the tongue speaker needs someone else to interpret it for that tongue to be fruitful to the tongue speaker as explained in 1 Corinthians 14:12-17.

In getting back to point of truth, as Paul was citing the gifts of the Spirit, after he was done, he reminded everyone of the one baptism we were all baptized into the body of Christ by having only ONE drink of the One Spirit. That is the line of discernment about how gifts are not received by receiving the Holy Spirit "again" apart from the calling of the gospel when we had come to & believed in Jesus Christ to be saved.

1 Corinthians 12:7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. 8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; 9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; 10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues: 11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will. 12 For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ. 13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

When tongue speakers claim another drink of the One Spirit in how they got tongues, they are the ones preaching an extra that departs from the testimony we are all supposed to share; it is they that deviate from keeping the faith in speaking the same thing and minding the same thing.

How can they not be seen as preaching another gospel, another Jesus, or another Holy Spirit to receive? And for what? Tongues for private use? No other gift? Let's face it; there is no hype to seek to receive a baptism of the Holy Ghost with evidence of any other gift but tongues for private use.

So what is up with that? When we read the scripture, we find most modern day tongue speakers have not tested the spirits but believed them to be of God just because a supernatural tongue came by that spirit and yet the apostle John warned believers to test the spirits in 1 John 4:1-4 and the tongue they bring in 1 John 4:5-6. It is better to pray & give thanks normally which is the will of God for us to do than not know what was said and assume it is of Him regardless of it lacking interpretation when the devil is just trying to prevent us from praying & giving thanks normally to God. What better way for us to give genuine heartfelt thanks to the Father in Jesus's name when we know our normal prayers have been answered? So something to discern with the Lord Jesus Christ at that throne of grace, but as it is, John 16:13 testify that the Holy Spirit cannot use God's gift of tongues for His own use in uttering His own intercessions by. That is why Romans 8:26-27 in the KJV lines up with John 16:13 is by Jesus as the "he" that searches our hearts ( Hebrews 4:12-16 ) is the One that knows the mind of the Spirit to give the Spirit's silent intercessions to the Father for the Spirit as only the Son can because He is the only Mediator between God and man in according to the will of God.

Reactions: Waiting on him

Enow

Feb 5, 2020
Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I point out that the gift is in us; so to seek to receive the Holy Spirit apart from salvation in order to get a spiritual gift is not really what those scriptures are saying.

And we go before that throne of grace in asking Jesus Christ for those gifts, because once the Father gives permission to any of His intercessions He gives to the Father, whether it be His own, or ours, or the Spirit's silent intercessions, the Son is the One that answers the prayers.

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.... 13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

1 Timothy 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

Those who have asked for those gifts from the Holy Spirit ( and mainly they just seek tongues in these latter days ) is why the tongues are not coming with interpretation because they have dishonored the Son when He is the only Mediator between God and man thus when asking for those gifts from the Holy Ghost is why they follow a stranger's voice by assuming tongues are for private use when it is not God's gift of tongues at all.

John 10:1Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber. 2 But he that entereth in by the door is the shepherd of the sheep. 3 To him the porter openeth; and the sheep hear his voice: and he calleth his own sheep by name, and leadeth them out. 4 And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice. 5 And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers.... 7 Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep.

Reactions: Waiting on him

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
That is incorrect. The spiritual gifts are given freely to all Christians, and every person who is indwelt by the Holy Spirit has at least one spiritual gift (see 1 Corinthians 12). At the same time Paul does say that Christians may seek other gifts (1 Corinthians 14). Those gifts are not given for self-edification but for the edification of the Church -- other Christians.

Enow

Feb 5, 2020
Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Addressing the OP Only, John 12:49 (KJV).

PICJAG.

John 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. 14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you. 15 All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

All words of the Father are now the Son's and although the Father's will shall be done, the Son is in charge of building up the kingdom of Heaven before the end when He gives it back to God the Father. So right now, Jesus is our Bridegroom for how we are living that reconciled relationship with God and why we can trust Him to be our Good Shepherd in helping us to lay aside every weight & sin to be received as that vessel unto honor.

Matthew 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth....20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. 14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you. 15 All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

All words of the Father are now the Son's and although the Father's will shall be done, the Son is in charge of building up the kingdom of Heaven before the end when He gives it back to God the Father. So right now, Jesus is our Bridegroom for how we are living that reconciled relationship with God and why we can trust Him to be our Good Shepherd in helping us to lay aside every weight & sin to be received as that vessel unto honor.

Matthew 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth....20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
Jesus is the Holy Spirit, Diversified as "Son".

PICJAG.

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
That is incorrect. The spiritual gifts are given freely to all Christians, and every person who is indwelt by the Holy Spirit has at least one spiritual gift (see 1 Corinthians 12). At the same time Paul does say that Christians may seek other gifts (1 Corinthians 14). Those gifts are not given for self-edification but for the edification of the Church -- other Christians.
I might accept what you say if I saw the gifts of healing and prophesy etc. being manifest.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I might accept what you say if I saw the gifts of healing and prophesy etc. being manifest.
I have said nothing about which gifts are still operational and which are not. That is another subject. All we are discussing is how and when spiritual gifts are given. Some gifts ceased with the passing of the apostles.

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I have said nothing about which gifts are still operational and which are not. That is another subject. All we are discussing is how and when spiritual gifts are given. Some gifts ceased with the passing of the apostles.
If you want to know how and when spiritual gifts are given, I will tell you. It happens with the infilling of the third person of the Trinity. Jesus the redeemer and saviour is the second person of the trinity. The Comforter is the third person of the Trinity who empowered the disciples in the upper room, the same as when the Holy Spirit came upon Jesus at his baptism. Jesus and the Holy Spirit are two separate persons so don't go claiming you are filled with the Holy Spirit when you accept Christ into your heart unless, and it is very rare, there are signs following.

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Jesus is the Holy Spirit, Diversified as "Son".
Not the same. Below we see the omnipresent God active in the three domains over which He rules.

Mat 3:16 And when Jesus had been baptized, just as he came up from the water, suddenly the heavens were opened to him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him. And a voice from heaven said, "This is my Son, the Beloved, with whom I am well pleased."

Mat 12:31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.

Act 2:2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting. And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance. Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Mat 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Last edited:

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
...so don't go claiming you are filled with the Holy Spirit when you accept Christ into your heart unless, and it is very rare, there are signs following.
You must be mistaking me for someone else. So which sign gifts are you claiming to have? Have you raised someone from the dead recently?

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
...but there is a need, and indeed an imperative need, that we rightly understand the Word of God.
Correct. But you seem to have several incorrect ideas about this subject of spiritual gifts and sign gifts.

Mike Waters

Jan 8, 2020
Holt
slideshowart2.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Ernest T. Bass (post #3)
If your contextual contention is valid then it must apply equally to most of what Jesus said to his disciples and apostles (at least prior to his transfiguration) maybe excluding things which might have been clearly stated or strongly implied to apply more widely.
In which case those who lean on 'Red Letter Bibles' will need them to be subdivided between 'Red' and 'Pink'.

"doing greater things than Jesus did"...."moving mountains into the sea"...."going into the world to preach the Gospel" etc....would they be 'Red' or 'Pink'?
Maybe a third colour would be needed for "Jesus' words which could be considered to be irrelevant".:rolleyes:

Last edited: