Explain & Apply John 16:13

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Enow

Feb 5, 2020
Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, the Holy Spirit only speaks to men today through HIs written word.

Paul was an inspired Apostle, no one today is inspired by the Holy Spirit like Paul. And as an Apostle, he was given the Comforter as it was promised to all the Apostles to bring all things to remembrance to Paul.

1 John 2 says nothing about the Holy Spirit speaking to men today apart from His written word.

I read otherwise.

1 John 2:18 Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time. 19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.20 But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things. 21 I have not written unto you because ye know not the truth, but because ye know it, and that no lie is of the truth.... 26 These things have I written unto you concerning them that seduce you. 27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

Getitright

Nov 7, 2019
North Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for sharing, but the topic is about what the Holy Spirit will do as in this topic in how He will speak and how He will not speak, regardless of Him saying that to His disciples. Jesus said a lot of things to His disciples and to the multitude. Are we to infer that all Jesus said was just for the Jews and that the gospel was never meant for the Gentiles? No. And yet the apostle John shared this in writing because what Jesus said about how the Holy Spirit will speak and not speak applies to how the Holy Spirit will speak all the time so that His disciples will know.

Indeed, anyone can become His disciple, Here is how.

John 8:30 As he spake these words, many believed on him. 31 Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; 32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

So His words apply to all believers that continue in His words.

It depends. He said the spirit would guide them into all truth. He didn't say the spirit would guide all believers into all truth. It's pretty obvious looking at all of the denominations and erroneous teachings among believers that they don't all have all truth

Enow

Feb 5, 2020
Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But so many posters have already been dogmatically reproving one another by throwing scriptures into the mix.

Kind of hard to apply your post when you didn't quote any one to point out the "bigotry". No one can be reproved of bigotry then.

And we can only be corrected by the scriptures with His help since God can only peradventure to recover any from the snare of the devil.

2 Timothy 3:12 Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution. 13 But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived. 14 But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them; 15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. 16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

2 Timothy 2:24 And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, 25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 26 And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

Ernest T. Bass

Jan 14, 2014
out in the woods
I read otherwise.

1 John 2:18 Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time. 19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.20 But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things. 21 I have not written unto you because ye know not the truth, but because ye know it, and that no lie is of the truth.... 26 These things have I written unto you concerning them that seduce you. 27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.
The text says people are "taught" and it does not say the teaching is done miraculously by the Holy Spirit apart from the word. Why would John need to write to those Christians all these letters to instruct them if the Holy Spirit can miraculously 'illuminate' their understanding and teach them "all" things?

1 John 2:20 "And ye know all things ..." - The marginal reading here, "you all know," is a better rendition because John did not mean they knew everything, else he would hardly have been writing to them. The thing he referred to here is apparent in other places in the letters of John, namely, that, as regards the basic doctrine of Christianity, called "the word" or "the truth" or "the light," the Christians had been adequately enlightened on all these things before they could become Christians. (Jeremiah 31:31-35). Thus he refuted the boasts of the false teachers that they had any vital new truth that could have benefited anyone. When people hear and obey the gospel of Christ, they have already reached the zenith of all knowledge as it regards the eternal redemption of the soul.

There is another view of this passage which accepts it as a reference to one of the charismatic gifts mentioned by Paul in 1 Corinthians 1:8, that is, "the discerning of spirits. (
James Macknight, op. cit., p. 54). The thought behind this is that congregations generally, at the time John wrote, had among their members certain persons endowed with that gift; hence there was no need for them to be led away by false teachers if they heeded the information already available to them from that source. Although the other interpretation is preferred here, this one may not be ruled out altogether as possibly the true one." Coffman Commentaries (my emp)

As the commentary points out, if those Christians had any miraculous gift it would be the gift of discernment whereby they could tell what was inspired from what was false. But miraculous gifts ceased around the end of the first century therefore this is not applicable to us today.

Enow

Feb 5, 2020
Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The text says people are "taught" and it does not say the teaching is done miraculously by the Holy Spirit apart from the word.

I shall emboldened the words that says otherwise.