Extra Virgin Olive Oil (a parable)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you let your mind wander a little, there is a sense of personal responsibility involved. Of all the thousands Jesus spoke to, there were only a dozen who "followed" him as disciples.... who truly fed off his teachings. If you can imagine breaking bread with him, listening to him intently and connecting those dots. On the table, the oil and the wine.... dipping each piece of bread into the mix as he shared.

If you recognize him as the bread that came down from heaven.... he gave of himself. What a person received of him is in effect a matter of how receptive they were at the time--- their soul/soil condition.
I’m not disagreeing. I’m not even disagreeing with your perspective of the virgins in those being told to go buy and see where that gets them.(maybe that is wisdom) I can see that as having truth to it. For example “that, when you fail” in
Luke 16:9 And I say unto you, Make to yourselves friends of the mammon of unrighteousness; that, when you fail, they may receive you into everlasting habitations.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’m not disagreeing. I’m not even disagreeing with your perspective of the virgins in those being told to go buy and see where that gets them.(maybe that is wisdom) I can see that as having truth to it. For example “that, when you fail” in
Luke 16:9 And I say unto you, Make to yourselves friends of the mammon of unrighteousness; that, when you fail, they may receive you into everlasting habitations.

That makes you a bread winner.

“The one who is faithful in a very little is also faithful in much, and the one who is dishonest in a very little is also dishonest in much.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That makes you a bread winner.

“The one who is faithful in a very little is also faithful in much, and the one who is dishonest in a very little is also dishonest in much.
That is what I was thinking too which is how I could say … I am blessed. It is a matter of perspective (Imo). My mom is 92 now and she brings up often how my two older sisters are responsible. My eldest sister handles her finances which is a tremendous blessing because she is really good at it. Very responsible with money that comes in and how it is spent. My mom will look at me and say she wishes my brother Randy and I were like my two older sisters concerning responsibility, work ethics and the handling of finances. I do lack there, no denying that I could improve. Not that I waste it is only that I’m not assertive. I’m starting to make it sound like I’m a squatter. I help with where I’m good at. Taking mom to her appointments, sitting with her, grocery taking her out …things like that.(household)

But I come home one day after my mother said this and thought of another responsibility; responsibility to God. Another work ethic. Another being accountable. To me I could see where I lack in one area, I had been blessed in another. So it no longer hurts when my mother views me as lacking accountability. Or lacking a work ethic. Not to shame her but she still won’t face or admit to lying to me about who my father was, it being kept a secret until in my mid-fourties’ that the man I thought was my father, was not my father. Only bringing that up because is there more than one way to view what is to be accountable. Ironic she wishes I had accountability. Or to be responsible. Or to have a work-ethic.

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is what I was thinking too which is how I could say … I am blessed. It is a matter of perspective (Imo). My mom is 92 now and she brings up often how my two older sisters are responsible. My eldest sister handles her finances which is a tremendous blessing because she is really good at it. Very responsible with money that comes in and how it is spent. My mom will look at me and say she wishes my brother Randy and I were like my two older sisters concerning responsibility, work ethics and the handling of finances. I do lack there, no denying that I could improve. Not that I waste it is only that I’m not assertive. I’m starting to make it sound like I’m a squatter. I help with where I’m good at. Taking mom to her appointments, sitting with her, grocery taking her out …things like that.(household)

But I come home one day after my mother said this and thought of another responsibility; responsibility to God. Another work ethic. Another being accountable. To me I could see where I lack in one area, I had been blessed in another. So it no longer hurts when my mother views me as lacking accountability. Or lacking a work ethic. Not to shame her but she still won’t face or admit to lying to me about who my father was, it being kept a secret until in my mid-fourties’ that the man I thought was my father, was not my father. Only bringing that up because is there more than one way to view what is to be accountable. Ironic she wishes I had accountability. Or to be responsible. Or to have a work-ethic.
Sharing these perspectives because maybe it will help someone. I love when a new perspective is given. And appreciate it. Another perspective may seem like small shifts but to me I think “whoa”. Sharing another shift concerning my mother. She gets stuck in this loop of going back to her childhood and sobbing over being rejected by her father told she always caused trouble. And a mom that wasn’t present needing to work at the barbecue/bar place late hours. All the same memories mom circulates around saying she never had a home or a family life. My brother has passed. But my sisters and I go over to care for her everyday. All her needs are met. The eldest sister I mentioned is also good at finding anything to make moms life easier. For example a clock with big letter that says if it is morning or night, the day, the hour because mom confuses her days and nights. Her whole home is set up from a fenced in back yard for her little Yorkie to go out with her, under the covered area to swing. Even when it is drizzling outside. It is a straight shot back into her simple home set up to keep her able to plant flowers when she wants to; a walker with wheels in the back yard, the house, and the front yard for her to putter around. Three girls, her daughters coming daily regardless of if she is moody and pushing them away. As I was riding down her street the other day …it hit me how blessed my mom is too. Even being a pain-in-the-rear sometimes she is blessed. How she cries of never having a family-life…she has one now. She might not see it. But it is there. What she longs for from the past, surrounds her daily. I texted my eldest sister and said this to her. “You know what mom longs for? A family? She has one, us.” Maybe these post are off topic and gibberish. But we could all benefit I think from a better perspective from what we don’t have, to what we do have.

Last edited:

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sharing these perspectives because maybe it will help someone. I love when a new perspective is given. And appreciate it. Another perspective may seem like small shifts but to me I think “whoa”. Sharing another shift concerning my mother. She gets stuck in this loop of going back to her childhood and sobbing over being rejected by her father told she always caused trouble. And a mom that wasn’t present needing to work at the barbecue/bar place late hours. All the same memories mom circulates around saying she never had a home or a family life. My brother has passed. But my sisters and I go over to care for her everyday. All her needs are met. The eldest sister I mentioned is also good at finding anything to make moms life easier. For example a clock with big letter that says if it is morning or night, the day, the hour because mom confuses her days and nights. Her whole home is set up from a fenced in back yard for her little Yorkie to go out with her, under the covered area to swing. Even when it is drizzling outside. It is a straight shot back into her simple home set up to keep her able to plant flowers when she wants to; a walker with wheels in the back yard, the house, and the front yard for her to putter around. Three girls, her daughters coming daily regardless of if she is moody and pushing them away. As I was riding down her street the other day …it hit me how blessed my mom is too. Even being a pain-in-the-rear sometimes she is blessed. How she cries of never having a family-life…she has one now. She might not see it. But it is there. What she longs for from the past, surrounds her daily. I texted my eldest sister and said this to her. “You know what mom longs for? A family? She has one, us.” Maybe these post are off topic and gibberish. But we could all benefit I think from a better perspective from what we don’t have, to what we do have.

Not off topic at all.... He supplies the oil-- you are the receptacle.

It's good to recognize that your strength isn't dependent on you. You are not the source of your strength. Interesting to note that the angel shared this very thing with Zechariah concerning this oil that was filling the receptacle that supplied the seven lamps- who we know are themselves the angels of the seven assemblies among whom one like the son of man walks. He's like the lighthouse keeper, in a sense.

There are seven lamps at the top, with seven pipes going to the lamps. There are also two olive trees beside it, one on the right of the receptacle and the other on the left.”Then I asked the messenger who spoke with me, “What are these, sir?

‘Not by strength and not by power, but by my Spirit,’

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you really think that you could go and buy some oil, if you didn't have enough to light your lamp?

The parables are spiritual. The reality they reference is spiritual. Looking at physical associations is to look at the lower/lessor understanding.

It's not about people. Read Zechariah regarding these lamps and this oil. Read even the first chapter of Revelation. It's not about people.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you really think that you could go and buy some oil, if you didn't have enough to light your lamp?

The parables are spiritual. The reality they reference is spiritual. Looking at physical associations is to look at the lower/lessor understanding.

It's not about people. Read Zechariah regarding these lamps and this oil. Read even the first chapter of Revelation. It's not about people.
Really struggling here. You asks a good question “Do you really think that you could go and buy some oil, if you didn't have enough to light your lamp?” The only thing I can think about is Luke 19:41-42 And when he was come near, he beheld the city, and wept over it, [42] Saying, If thou had known, even thou, at least in this thy day, the things which belong unto thy peace! but now they are hid from thine eyes.

I’m not sure either how you say it isn’t about people? I went to read your references and ended up in Haggai 1. (Not knowing who
Zerubbabel, Is). The topic seems to be God’s House lays waste. While they are building up everything else, His lays waste? In
Isaiah 58:12 And they that shall be of thee shall build the old waste places: thou shalt raise up the foundations of many generations; and thou shalt be called, The repairer of the breach, The restorer of paths to dwell in.
To me I’ve had the perspective the old waste places to be built, raised up are …people. Not dirt or land, but through the edification of the Spirit restoring people…the Spirit of love, of power, and a sound mind?

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr E

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Really struggling here. You asks a good question “Do you really think that you could go and buy some oil, if you didn't have enough to light your lamp?” The only thing I can think about is Luke 19:41-42 And when he was come near, he beheld the city, and wept over it, [42] Saying, If thou had known, even thou, at least in this thy day, the things which belong unto thy peace! but now they are hid from thine eyes.

I’m not sure either how you say it isn’t about people? I went to read your references and ended up in Haggai 1. (Not knowing who
Zerubbabel, Is). The topic seems to be God’s House lays waste. While they are building up everything else, His lays waste? In
Isaiah 58:12 And they that shall be of thee shall build the old waste places: thou shalt raise up the foundations of many generations; and thou shalt be called, The repairer of the breach, The restorer of paths to dwell in.
To me I’ve had the perspective the old waste places to be built, raised up are …people. Not dirt or land, but through the edification of the Spirit restoring people…the Spirit of love, of power, and a sound mind?

Go buy some oil.

I'm going to point you in a different direction. Where were they supposed to go buy oil? You certainly can look at this parable on the surface level and at face value of course it's about people. But as with all parables there is the face-value, and then there is a spiritual meaning. In one sense, that parable about the seeds and the soil were about planting, yes-- but to understand that only would be to miss the intent of his teaching, which was about another realm altogether-- a spiritual understanding. This parable is no different.

On the surface, it's about a bunch of virgins who fall asleep while waiting for the bridegroom to arrive to take a bride. You can read it just like that if you choose. There's actually a story in scripture quite like that- in the book of Esther.

“Let a search be conducted on the king’s behalf for attractive young women." "Let the young woman whom the king finds most attractive become queen in place of Vashti.” There was Esther-- This young woman was very attractive and had a beautiful figure.

As the story goes, the selected women undergo a full twelve months of beauty treatments at the Susa Spa--- they had to fulfill their time of cosmetic treatment: six months with oil of myrrh, and six months with perfume and various ointments used by women.

Then one would be chosen from among them all, and that one (Esther) was made Queen. She was given a bit of an inside track in that the guy in charge of the contest took a liking to her and told her just what the King liked best.... you see, each girl when it was her turn to spend the night with the King was allowed to take something from the Spa that she would use to please the King.... but as for Esther- she was told exactly what to take.... like- his favorite perfume (as an example) she came prepared with just the right lotions and potions and oil.

Can you see it? What about all the others? --too bad for you? -you weren't properly prepared. Go buy some oil.

----
But there's a better story yet.

Then Jesus, when he looked up and saw that a large crowd was coming to him, said to Philip, “Where can we buy bread so that these people may eat?”

You are right when you say you can't imagine a Jesus that would tell that crowd-- 'Go buy some bread at the market from those who sell bread.' Would he send some away? Well, he didn't. He didn't even send his Buds to go buy some after they calculated the cost because that was never his intent. He just wanted to make sure that they understood the concept.... You don't have enough. You didn't come prepared, you can't go buy some..... that's not where you get bread, or oil... at such a time as this.

All that.......... If you think the story was about people.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm going to point you in a different direction. Where were they supposed to go buy oil? You certainly can look at this parable on the surface level and at face value of course it's about people. But as with all parables there is the face-value, and then there is a spiritual meaning. In one sense, that parable about the seeds and the soil were about planting, yes-- but to understand that only would be to miss the intent of his teaching, which was about another realm altogether-- a spiritual understanding. This parable is no different.

On the surface, it's about a bunch of virgins who fall asleep while waiting for the bridegroom to arrive to take a bride. You can read it just like that if you choose. There's actually a story in scripture quite like that- in the book of Esther.

“Let a search be conducted on the king’s behalf for attractive young women." "Let the young woman whom the king finds most attractive become queen in place of Vashti.” There was Esther-- This young woman was very attractive and had a beautiful figure.

As the story goes, the selected women undergo a full twelve months of beauty treatments at the Susa Spa--- they had to fulfill their time of cosmetic treatment: six months with oil of myrrh, and six months with perfume and various ointments used by women.

Then one would be chosen from among them all, and that one (Esther) was made Queen. She was given a bit of an inside track in that the guy in charge of the contest took a liking to her and told her just what the King liked best.... you see, each girl when it was her turn to spend the night with the King was allowed to take something from the Spa that she would use to please the King.... but as for Esther- she was told exactly what to take.... like- his favorite perfume (as an example) she came prepared with just the right lotions and potions and oil.

Can you see it? What about all the others? --too bad for you? -you weren't properly prepared. Go buy some oil.
Never noticed this before. thank you. When I think about perfume... i think of a fragrance. For example, 2 Corinthians 2:15-16. For we are a fragrance of Christ to God among those who are saved and among those who are perishing. to one an aroma from death to death, to the other an aroma from life to life. And who is adequate for these things? ..."and told her (Ester) what the king liked best." "but as for Ester-she was told exactly what to take ...like -his favorite perfume (as an example) she came prepared with just the right lotions and potions and oil." I do see you point in where the fragrance comes from?
Then Jesus, when he looked up and saw that a large crowd was coming to him, said to Philip, “Where can we buy bread so that these people may eat?”

You are right when you say you can't imagine a Jesus that would tell that crowd-- 'Go buy some bread at the market from those who sell bread.' Would he send some away? Well, he didn't. He didn't even send his Buds to go buy some after they calculated the cost because that was never his intent. He just wanted to make sure that they understood the concept.... You don't have enough. You didn't come prepared, you can't go buy some..... that's not where you get bread, or oil... at such a time as this.
LOVE this! I never noticed the lesson is "He just wanted to make sure that they understood the concept.... You don't have enough. You didn't come prepared, you can't go buy some... that's not where you get bread, or oil... at such a time as this.'

Correct me if I'm way off ...but are you saying the lesson is seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things will be supplied? in "you don't have enough. You didn't come prepared, you can't go buy some...that is not where you get bread, or oil...at such a time as this." ‘Not by strength and not by power, but by my Spirit,’

I have noticed in John 4:8 For His disciples had gone away into the city to buy food.
then sandwiched in here is Jesus Christ weary and sitting by the well, speaking with the Samaritan woman.
At this the disciples came, and they were amazed that He had been speaking with a woman, and yet no one said, "What do you seek?" or "why do you speak with her?"
...meanwhile the disciples were urging Him saying, "Rabbi eat."
But He said to them, I have food to eat that you do not know about.

The disciples said to one another, "No one brought Him anything to eat, did he?"
Jesus said my food is to do the will of Him who sent me and to accomplish His works.

that is what throws me about the parable... perfume... Aroma to God and others. And His disciples off in the city to buy meat, yet He is sitting with a Samaritan woman buy the well Jacob dug saying, "If you had asked of me...I would have given you Living Water to drink." Would the Samaritan woman be viewed as a foolish virgin? why did Jesus make a point of telling her she had no husband...in you have had five and the one you are with now is not your husband...you have well said in “I have no husband.” What is He seeking? Because the disciples come back from the city to buy meat, scratching their heads about if someone has given him food to eat, and no one asks him, " what He seeks, or why He is speaking to the woman?" That is how I struggle with the parable I don’t see worshipping Him in Spirit and truth in what the wise claim? And Jesus Christ sitting with a woman by a well, speaking to her. Offering to her. Talking about there is come a time…a fragrance of Christ? I would say His favorite fragrance, His favorite perfume is Mercy. That what the King likes the most is Mercy.

Last edited:

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Talking about there is come a time…a fragrance of Christ? I would say His favorite fragrance, His favorite perfume is Mercy. That what the King likes the most is Mercy.

What was it he said to her?

God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

Prior to his declaration (I am he) to that woman at the well, there were many, many people wanting, wishing and waiting for the anointed one to come. Let's call them all virgins. Yet, when he came- so few recognized him. Why? -This is just one way of looking at this, by the way- but maybe it will make some sense to you. Was it a matter of wisdom? Did some lack wisdom, and that's why they didn't recognize his coming? You see, he was the arrival of the bridegroom for all those waiting virgins who were supposedly waiting for exactly that, yet (in the parable) half of them weren't ready for him, though they 'thought' they were. They thought they knew what they were looking for, but they lacked something within themselves to recognize him. They lacked oil, yes-- but what they really lacked was light.

Dr Smell-good.

Then took Mary a pound of ointment of spikenard, very costly, and anointed the feet of Jesus, and wiped his feet with her hair: and the house was filled with the odour of the ointment.

I love that story. From that moment on he carried that fragrance you speak of. It filled the house. It went with him.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's pretty clear, no?

Stars = Angels (seven of them) of the seven churches, and the seven lampstands are those seven churches.

The lamps are on top of the lampstands, fed by this oil supplied from the two olive trees on either side, and the flame of each is shown to be a spirit/angel/messenger of God - to each of these seven churches.
Yes and John was commanded by Jesus to write epistles to these Angels, and they were all told to read there’s and the others epistles also.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Finally-- just as in the spiritual understanding these elements have meanings and associations that are apart from what they appear to be (a lampstand is a church/body of believers for example-- the flame is associated with the spirits of God, and so on) each element mentioned has special and significant meaning. Horses are not horses, a lamb is not a lamb, a man is a spiritual, not a physical man, --and a physical man is depicted not as a man at all-- but as a tree. A tree or plant that has grown from seed as first explained by Jesus himself in that all important first parable that he detailed. And that matters. The fruit of humanity is for the delight of God, our Father and that's about all one needs to know. Things on earth are made in the image, or likeness of the heavenly-- but they are not exact copies (sorry Moses). It's on earth as (like) it is in heaven. But not exactly so.

When seen 'in spirit' and I don't care how anyone wants to parse that- dream, vision- it's all of the same genre.... -These "animals" are not earthly, physical animals. They are spiritual 'beings' in the same way that "men" in spirit are spiritual beings. The same way that you-- when you dream are 'in spirit' and it isn't the physical "you" that is there, but the spiritual you. In other words, from the heavenly perspective-- these 'animals' are depicted by attributes of that spiritual essence.

A horse (from the heavenly perspective) is expressive of 'one who carries' or 'a worker' --- or any number of things that we would associate with horses-- horse power, plowing, planting, strength, even an instrument of war, or simply as a means to deliver messages.

One stark example of this principle that few might dispute is described in Rev 5 where we are shown this heavenly perspective of something unmistakable.... We see 'the lion' of the tribe of Judah had overcome so as to be able to open the book with the seven seals. Immediately we see that same one who was just depicted as a lion, now shown to be a lamb. Same one--- it's just that the scene unfolding in spirit is using these associations to express different spiritual attributes through association.... The lion-- powerful and triumphant after the fact, but because of prior presentation as a sacrifice as this lamb---- who had been slain. It's unquestionably depicting Jesus in both instances and it's not that he is one and not the other.... he was both lion and lamb because these are not physical creatures, but spiritual attributes offered for the associations they provide us. Spiritual attributes-- that is 'that spirit' we recognize in the passage as Jesus is in one sense like a lion, and at another time was like a lamb-- in both cases it refers to the spirit in Jesus sent from the Father. The son of God-- spirit, sent to the son of man-- Jesus.

Jesus-- the human was human and neither a lion, nor a lamb. The scene above is overwhelming to the senses, but the image below we can now comprehend only because we have the benefit of history and we know the story and how it unfolded. Apart from our knowledge of Jesus and all we know of him as a man, the scene above would remain shrouded in mystery, and to some seemingly nonsense.

How does one get oil from an olive? It has to be pressed. Like the blood of a grape-- it doesn't give it up willingly. Grapes must be crushed. Wheat must be threshed.

All images of the tribulation required of man to yield his purpose.
You would think, we possessing the narrative would make this easy to understand?