Faith-based tattoo: as a result of one, did you ever talk with someone? (Poll included)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Faith-based tattoo: as a result of one, did you ever talk with someone?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
It did. Her mother was even more shocked. "Only sailors get tattoos!"
@Lambano

Actually, it wasn't unusual in the 19th century, FYI:

Surprisingly, one of the major resurgences of interest in tattoos in Europe occurred among 19th century high society Victorian women (as well as men), after British explorers .. brought back the practice to Britain. .. grew during the 19th century, and even Winston Churchill’s mother had a tattoo .. on her wrist. Queen Victoria was also believed to have had a tattoo of a Bengal tiger.. . From Victorian Europe...to America. In 1897, (art critic, Margot) Miffin says that an estimated 75% of American society women were tattooed..
(Black Fire: Women, Tattoos, and the Transformative Power of Body Art )

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@dhh712 FYI......not sure if I already copied this to you; there have been quite a few interesting posts in recent days. (Sorry the poll expired already.) I guess it's a fairly topical subject today....

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I think they harmless as long as....

@Dropship Seems like these days many Christian young people at around 18 regard the tattoo as a benign experience and opportunity to receive something faith based and which will highly likely work as a conversation-starter; all the young ppl with Bible verses tattooed with whom I have spoken seem to have had them done as witness tools, anyway.

Reactions: Dropship

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Dropship Seems like these days many Christian young people at around 18 regard the tattoo as a benign experience and opportunity to receive something faith based and which will highly likely work as a conversation-starter; all the young ppl with Bible verses tattooed with whom I have spoken seem to have had them done as witness tools, anyway.

Yes, and i suppose an easier way would be for them to wear a small crucifix round their neck, it needn't be a glitzy silvery thing, it could be a proper wooden one like this-

cross.jpg

PS- I don't wear a crucifix myself, the thought has crossed my mind but I prefer to be a "stealth christian" and not advertise the fact..:)

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
-
There is this idea and verse that says, that to reach the world, we are to : 1 Corinthians 9:22
= And ive seen and known some hard core believers (Males) who deal with street orphans and inmates, and some of these are all Tattoo'd up, and body pierced.
They have a "sleeve"....which is a totally tattoo'd arm, from shoulder to wrist.

And then ive seen Preacher's daughters and Contemporary Christian singers, girls, about '22, who were raised in the Church, and they have a pierced nose, and tongue, and dont witness, but they have a lot of Tatts., and Daddy in the pulpit thinks they are "so precious".

So, in that Case.
I refer you to the NT that says that women are to dress and behave with modesty.

So, the question is.. the issue is.....

If i took the Preacher's tattoo'd daughter and i placed her in a room next to a street walking whore who is all tattoo'd.....and you looked at them both for the first time.
= A.) you would not be able to tell who isn't the whore.

See that Problem?

A.) Be IN the World, but not OF IT.

And if you have Tatt's and body piercings.......thats your life.
You have free will.
Use it wisely as befitting a person who is representing God, in Public.

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
-
There is this idea and verse that says, that to reach the world, we are to : 1 Corinthians 9:22
= And ive seen and known some hard core believers (Males) who deal with street orphans and inmates, and some of these are all Tattoo'd up, and body pierced.
They have a "sleeve"....which is a totally tattoo'd arm, from shoulder to wrist.

And then ive seen Preacher's daughters and Contemporary Christian singers, girls, about '22, who were raised in the Church, and they have a pierced nose, and tongue, and dont witness, but they have a lot of Tatts., and Daddy in the pulpit thinks they are "so precious".

So, in that Case.
I refer you to the NT that says that women are to dress and behave with modesty.

So, the question is.. the issue is.....

If i took the Preacher's tattoo'd daughter and i placed her in a room next to a street walking whore who is all tattoo'd.....and you looked at them both for the first time.
= A.) you would not be able to tell who isn't the whore.

See that Problem?

A.) Be IN the World, but not OF IT.

And if you have Tatt's and body piercings.......thats your life.
You have free will.
Use it wisely as befitting a person who is representing God, in Public.
Sir,

My wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse and mine also; and I'm sure that the fact that she was willing to have it done has contributed to other conversations also. She actually seemed a quiet, modest young lady: I would never have thought of her in terms of "you whore!".

I think we have to be very careful in not calling ppl "whores" whose subjective preferences might happen to differ from one's own, (especially when in the case of faith based ink the person may making an earnest attempt to communicate something of Scripture).

All the young ppl with Bible verses tattooed with whom I have spoken seem to have had them done as witness tools.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dropship

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
I think we have to be very careful in not calling ppl "whores"

You would do us both a favor and me genuine courtesy if you actually read my Post, vs, not really reading it closely, and then inserting your backwards opinion and judgment of me.

So, unless you have no ability to actually comprehend english, which is possible, then you should have recognized that i called noone a "whore", who isnt.

I stated clearly, that if you didnt know the 2 Girls, and one was a whore, then you would not be able to tell, based on their body piercings and tattoo's who WASN't The whore.

Farouk, read more carefully my post or Threads, before you cast your next uninformed judgement.
Thx.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Lady Crosstalk said:
I have Christian friends who have them. They usually have their favorite Bible verse tattooed on a wrist--sometimes on the lower leg.

Yes, it's indeed what a lot of young Christians especially do.

All the young ppl with Bible verses tattooed with whom I have spoken seem to have had them done as tools for witness.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I actually have a ton of tattoos from before Jesus. . . I had a rough life
@SERVANTedu Well...tattoos might have been perceived as having a rough image once.....but now it's become almost a genteel thing also, FYI:

FHII said:
Probably 75% of the congregation have tattoos, including myself and the Pastor

Heart2Soul said:
it is becoming a norm with health professionals...It is becoming a tool people are using to let others identify their faith. ..I do like the idea of Christian based tattoos

Is there a good parlor near you?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I'll never understand why someone would get a tattoo of a boyfriend/girlfriend. I mean, it's pretty much a given they'll move on to another eventually. lol
@TLHKAJ Well, it's probably part of a longing hope that the significant other won't go away....

In contrast, a tattoo that reflects true, saving faith can connote the idea of permanence....

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I could see that ...idk what the process is to remove a tattoo, but that may also be an option. I'll never understand why someone would get a tattoo of a boyfriend/girlfriend. I mean, it's pretty much a given they'll move on to another eventually. lol
@TLHKAJ Well, it's probably part of a longing hope that the significant other won't go away....
il_570xN.828467159_g37j.jpg

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
All four of my kids have at-least 1 on them somewhere. My 2 boys have the most and girls have 1 but you really can't see them.

@Christophany

It seems that now so many young Christians find the expression involved in faith based tattoos to be strongly compelling for them; FYI:

M.B. said:
3 of4 of my children have tatoos, the oldest daughter was the first, she now has four... My oldest son, her twin brother has a tattoo also that he designed as did the youngest design his own - both are crosses with three circles intertwined depicting the Trinity.
source: mamapedia dot com