Galatians 5

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul gave a condition there with "if" in verse 18. That means we can fall away still, and do those works of the flesh, IF... we allow it.

[Gal 5:18 NASB] 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the Law.

The IF is not about what you do, but what God does ... “if you are led by the Spirit

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
but never get to actually know the Bridegroom

Indeed, until they 'know' the bridegroom, can they say they are one with HIM?

"For this reason a man shall leave (his) father and (his) mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh."

This is a great mystery, but I speak in reference to Christ and the church.

Peace!

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
[Gal 5:18 NASB] 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the Law.

The IF is not about what you do, but what God does ... “if you are led by the Spirit

Don't know who you've been listening to, but it ain't been Apostle Paul.

IF... you LIE, then you are NOT walking by The Spirit. Simple as that.
IF... you turn to drunkeness, then you are NOT walking by The Spirit. Simple as that.

Therefore, it most definitely is... about what you do!

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Like Apostle John revealed in 1 John 1, as believers on Jesus, when we commit sins in the future, we are to repent to Jesus, and He is Just to forgive us. THAT... is how we maintain a loving relationship with Him.

Those teaching believers you don't have to repent of future sins, because you can't do any sin after having believed on Jesus, are teaching doctrines from DEVILS. Those do NOT serve Christ Jesus! They are 'spots in your feasts of charity', brute beasts made to be taken and destroyed, they have gone the way of CAIN, clouds they are without water, twice dead (Jude 1; 2 Pet.2).

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Think about how the following verses apply to each other:

[Rom 6:14 KJV] 14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.

[Rom 7:4, 6 KJV] 4 Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, [even] to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God. ... 6 But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not [in] the oldness of the letter.

[Gal 2:19 KJV] 19 For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God.

[Eph 2:15-16 KJV] 15 Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, [even] the law of commandments [contained] in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, [so] making peace; 16 And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby:

[Col 2:14 KJV] 14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

[Heb 7:18 KJV] 18 For there is verily a disannulling of the commandment going before for the weakness and unprofitableness thereof.
[Rom 4:15 KJV] 15 Because the law worketh wrath: for where no law is, [there is] no transgression.

[Rom 5:13 KJV] 13 (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would say that the above verses (which speak of the taking away of our condemnation because of the law) only apply to those who have been given the love of the Lord, in whose hearts and minds the law of the Lord has been written:

[Rom 5:5 KJV] 5 And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

[Rom 13:8-10 KJV] 8 Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law. 9 For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if [there be] any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love [is] the fulfilling of the law.

[Rom 8:4, 7 KJV] 4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. ... 7 Because the carnal mind [is] enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

[1Jo 5:3 KJV] 3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

[2Jo 1:6 KJV] 6 And this is love, that we walk after his commandments. This is the commandment, That, as ye have heard from the beginning, ye should walk in it.

[Heb 8:8-10 KJV] 8 For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah: 9 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord. 10 For this [is] the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

[Heb 10:16 KJV] 16 This [is] the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From the verses in the two posts above, I conclude that the law no longer has the power to condemn us from the outside, but it governs us from the inside; if we believe in Jesus Christ and have received Him as our Lord and Saviour.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would say that the above verses (which speak of the taking away of our condemnation because of the law) only apply to those who have been given the love of the Lord, in whose hearts and minds the law of the Lord has been written:

[Rom 5:5 KJV] 5 And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

[Rom 13:8-10 KJV] 8 Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law. 9 For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if [there be] any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love [is] the fulfilling of the law.

[Rom 8:4, 7 KJV] 4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. ... 7 Because the carnal mind [is] enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

[1Jo 5:3 KJV] 3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

[2Jo 1:6 KJV] 6 And this is love, that we walk after his commandments. This is the commandment, That, as ye have heard from the beginning, ye should walk in it.

[Heb 8:8-10 KJV] 8 For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah: 9 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord. 10 For this [is] the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

[Heb 10:16 KJV] 16 This [is] the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;

You simply don't understand what Apostle Paul taught and should not be trusted with teaching Scripture.

You quoted only a small part of Gal.2, and omitted the weightier part of Paul's teaching in Galatians 5...

Gal 5:16-21
16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulful the lust of the flesh.

17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.

18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.

19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,

20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,

21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

KJV

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You simply don't understand what Apostle Paul taught and should not be trusted with teaching Scripture.

You quoted only a small part of Gal.2, and omitted the weightier part of Paul's teaching in Galatians 5...

16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulful the lust of the flesh.

17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.

19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,

20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,

21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

KJV
You are acting like Galatians 5:16-21 is the only thing that was ever written in the holy scriptures.

So what if I omitted that passage? You omitted Matthew 7:21-23 (for example), as well as everything else in the Bible apart from Galatians 5:16-21!

You do not understand what Paul taught and should not be trusted with teaching scripture (x3).

Last edited:

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are acting like Galatians 5:16-21 is the only thing that was ever written in the holy scriptures.

You cannot just keep some passages in God's Word while omitting others. We have to receive all of it.

There are enough examples in Paul's Epistles to show that the believer can still fall away from Christ if they so choose. That is why Paul was ever admonishing them to follow Jesus and His Apostles.

Today's so-called Grace Movement, which was started by some old scholars, like E.W. Bullinger, and proposed by those like C.R.Stam, J.C.O'Hair, Charles Baker, etc., have isolated Paul's Epistles even from the Four Gospels. If Paul didn't say it, then it ain't written for Gentiles, is their view.

That is where mainly the OSAS doctrines originate. So you might want to go through all... of Paul's Epistles for yourself, and find out what all he did preach.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you might want to go through all... of Paul's Epistles for yourself, and find out what all he did preach.
I make it my normal practice to read through all of the epistles (Romans - Jude) within the course of a week, every week.

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If I do not mention Galatians 5:16-21 in a post, all of a sudden I am a false teacher?

This is ludicrous. I could apply the same principle to Matthew 7:21-23, and call you a false teacher for that you didn't quote it in your post.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If I do not mention Galatians 5:16-21 in a post, all of a sudden I am a false teacher?

I didn't say you were a false teacher.

But your omitting Galatians 5 does point to something, especially since that Gal.5 Scripture has been pointed to on this thread more than once on this matter.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

KJV

Reading scriptures is the Elementary School level of Christian knowledge.
Memorizing scriptures is the Grade School level of Christian knowledge.
Understanding the scriptures is the High School level of Christian knowledge
Understanding what is meant when groups of scriptures seem to contradict is College Level Christian Knowledge and
it opens up the great truths of the Word of God!
Knowing the love of Christianity, the love of God, and how to apply the Spirit of Christianity, is the Quantum science of Christianity. It has the power to heal and give guidance to your life.

How long!!! How long!!! Is going to take you to notice this back and forth shuffle of scriptures! Scriptures do not contradict each other....find the mystery between the scriptures and you will be golden!

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You both did good, you both had valid scriptures! Don't stop now! Figure it out....
Think outside the box. How can this be? You figure this out and you will find ways to figure other topics out.
Do not stop!

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

IF... you LIE, then you are NOT walking by The Spirit. Simple as that.
IF... you turn to drunkeness, then you are NOT walking by The Spirit. Simple as that.

Therefore, it most definitely is... about what you do!
Yes, it is about what we do, but it is not about what we choose, it is about God choosing to lead us.
(I have been listening to Jesus.)
  • [John 10:26-30 NASB] 26 "But you do not believe because you are not of My sheep. 27 "My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me; 28 and I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand. 29 "My Father, who has given [them] to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch [them] out of the Father's hand. 30 "I and the Father are one."

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A strong accusation from someone who quotes scripture and reverses its meaning from God leading people by the Spirit to man choosing to do right under his own power.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A strong accusation from someone who quotes scripture and reverses its meaning from God leading people by the Spirit to man choosing to do right under his own power.

God leading people by the Spirit to man choosing to do right under his own power....lol Should you not tell Davy that the whole discussion is irrelevant because you believe that man does not have free-will to choose. You cannot sneak around with this abominable theology and not have someone call you on it. Explain to Davy that you believe that heaven and hell are decided for a person by your puppet master god long before they are born.

Surprised-Pets-Whose-Reactions-Will-Make-You-Laugh-‘Til-You-Cry_compressed22.jpg

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Reading scriptures is the Elementary School level of Christian knowledge.
Memorizing scriptures is the Grade School level of Christian knowledge.
Understanding the scriptures is the High School level of Christian knowledge
Understanding what is meant when groups of scriptures seem to contradict is College Level Christian Knowledge and
it opens up the great truths of the Word of God!
Knowing the love of Christianity, the love of God, and how to apply the Spirit of Christianity, is the Quantum science of Christianity. It has the power to heal and give guidance to your life.

How long!!! How long!!! Is going to take you to notice this back and forth shuffle of scriptures! Scriptures do not contradict each other....find the mystery between the scriptures and you will be golden!

The Books of Galatians and Romans are foundational Books of Christian doctrine. Apostle Paul did not contradict himself in 1 Timothy 1 nor Galatians 5 when explaining how we are to walk in The Spirit which is how he meant for us to be in Christ. Nor did Apostle Paul teach anywhere... in his Epistles that all of God's laws are now done away with in Christ. What he did teach was that we... are dead to the law IF... we walk by The Spirit, and he further explained that walking by The Spirit means doing good works, for which there is no law against (Gal.5).

It's obvious here that some of my Christian brethren have little clue as to what all Apostle Paul taught in his Epistles, because of their listening to some man that picks and chooses only certain passages in order to try and create a foreign doctrine that Paul did not teach. Because of those kind of teachers in some of today's pulpits, many brethren are constantly getting in trouble with their flesh because they think there is no more law against their sin they still commit.

Jesus did not nail all of God's law to the cross. He nailed only the laws dealing with the blood ordinances and religious ritual. God's laws against murder, rape, thefts, perjury, etc., the very things Apostle Paul taught in 1 Timothy 1 and Galatians 5, are still in effect for sinners today! It's those who love... sin and chaos that are trying to remove those laws from today's Christian society.