• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
You were not talking about Taken, but about me.

I was asking you if you agreed with @Taken or not. You replied with a tap dance. That’s fine, but I was just looking for a simple yes or no.

Keep it straight, or we will have to assume you are not all together.

o_O

Is that the royal “we” (plural of majesty) or do you have a club?

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
An acronym for “historical orthodox trinitarianism” - @Behold calls it “Classic Trinity”.

While we’re on the subject of acronyms, I coined this one a couple of decades ago:

TAHOT - “Trinitarians Against Historical Orthodox Trinitarianism”.

Good points.
I think the problem comes in trying to define everything. We all agree there is a God. That's a lot better than the other forum I'm on. We all agree Jesus is the Son of God, he died for our sins and rose again on the third day, was seen by many witnesses, ascended to Heaven and is at the right hand of the Father. Do we agree on those things? Acts 7:55

Last edited:

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I think the problem comes in trying to define everything.

Words have meaning. Without agreed upon definition, words could mean anything, everything and virtually nothing at all.

We all agree there is a God. That's a lot better than the other forum I'm on. We all agree Jesus is the Son of God, he died for our sins and rose again on the third day, was seen by many witnesses, ascended to Heaven and sits at the right hand of the Father. Do we agree on those things?

If we agree on the definition / meaning of the words used, yes.

What if we left it at that? Could we do it? Should we do it?

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Words have meaning. Without agreed upon definition, words could mean anything, everything and virtually nothing at all.

If we agree on the definition / meaning of the words used, yes.

What if we left it at that? Could we do it? Should we do it?
Words have meaning. You can't define God. You can't explain God. He is not limited by our understanding of him. He is so much more, more than we can understand, more than we can explain and more than we can define.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you own a bible?
Read Genesis....Its says 'MAN" was made in OUR Image
Man is not an Angel.
It does not SAY that "Angels" were made in our Image.
So, if you want to make things up that are not found in a BIBLE, to support your opinion or cult, then help yourself, Matthias.
It also says that man had become as them.
Genesis 3 (KJV)
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
²² And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:
²³ Therefore the LORD God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Words have meaning.

Until we strip them of customary, mutually agreed upon, definition. Once that’s destroyed, we enter into the “what in the wide, wide world of sports is a goin’ on here?” arena of our modern day culture - “What is a woman?” - a large and growing segment of our society doesn’t think it means what it customarily means. Chaos and confusion reigns in this madness.

You can't define God.

Do you define “God” as “the Trinity”? Does anyone? Does everyone?

What does “Trinity” mean? There was a time when it was well defined. Those days are gone whenever and where ever the definition provided by historical orthodox trinitarianism is rejected.

You can't explain God.

If that’s true then why do we even talk about God?

What if God has explained himself in scripture to the extent that we presently need to know?

He is not limited by our understanding of him. He is so much more, more than we can understand, more than we can explain and more than we can define.

I’m willing to agree to never so much as mention the word “Trinity” again in our conversations - to remove it completely from our respective vocabularies - are you?

Could we still effectively communicate with one another if we did?

Last edited:

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Until we strip them of customary, mutually agreed upon, definition. Once that’s destroyed, we enter into the “what in the wide, wide world of sports is a goin’ on here?” arena of our modern day culture - “What is a woman?” - a large and growing segment of our society doesn’t think it means what it customarily means. Chaos and confusion reigns in this madness.

What does “Trinity” mean? There was a time when it was well defined. Those days are gone whenever and where ever historical orthodox trinitarianism is rejected.

What if God has explained himself in scripture to the extent that we presently need to know?

I’m willing to agree to never so much as mention the word “Trinity” again in our conversations - to remove it completely from our respective vocabularies - are you?

God reveals himself. He revealed himself to Moses and revealed things to the prophets. Talking about him is not enough to win people over. You have to show people. They have to want what you have. Being able to talk about God is not enough

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
God reveals himself. He revealed himself to Moses and revealed things to the prophets.

Yes. What is your definition of “a prophet”?

Talking about him is not enough to win people over. You have to show people. They have to want what you have. Being able to talk about God is not enough

One question. What do you have to show people?

One question unrelated to this post of yours. Does this mean that we will be keeping “Trinity” in our vocabulary?

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What does “Trinity” mean? There was a time when it was well defined. Those days are gone whenever and where ever the definition provided by historical orthodox trinitarianism is rejected.

I don't think anyone has everything right and knows everything about God. I don't agree with everything taught at my Church. One day I think we are all going to find out we were wrong about some things.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I don't think anyone has everything right and knows everything about God. I don't agree with everything taught at my Church. One day I think we are all going to find out we were wrong about some things.

The most consequential thing people are wrong about is the identity of God.

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes. What is your definition of “a prophet”?

One question. What do you have to show people?

One question unrelated to this post of yours. Does this mean that we will be keeping “Trinity” in our vocabulary?
You have to show people God is real in your life. How do you treat people? Do you help people? Is there any evidence that you practice what you preach? Are you any different than anyone else? Is there something about you that they would like to have? As far the Trinity look at our conversations. How many times have I used that word compared to how many times you have used it? There's nothing wrong with our conversations I just think knowing how to get saved and living your life as an example is more important than knowing every detail about something we are incapable of understanding.

Reactions: Matthias

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
You have to show people God is real in your life. How do you treat people? Do you help people? Is there any evidence that you practice what you preach? Are you any different than anyone else? Is there something about you that they would like to have?

Thanks.

Some of the finest people I’ve ever encountered in that regard weren’t Christian, and didn’t claim to be.

Test the spirits. A lot has to go into that.

As far the Trinity look at our conversations. How many times have I used that word compared to how many times you have used it?

You’re unique in my experience. It’s not an exaggeration to say that I’ve never met a trinitarian who used the word as seldom as you do.

There's nothing wrong with our conversations I just think knowing how to get saved and living your life as an example is more important than knowing every detail about something we are incapable of understanding.

Got it. Steady as she goes.

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not taking a shot at you. You know as much about the Bible as the people I looked to as mentors. And I admit all the people I led to Christ happened to be when I was preaching or teaching but I still feel the best sermons are what you do not what you say.

Last edited:
Reactions: marks

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I'm not taking a shot at you.

I’m certain of that.

You know as much about the Bible as the people I looked to as mentors.

I don’t know about that but I’ll take your word for it. I learned most of what I know about the Bible from trinitarian mentors.

There’s a very nice member of this forum who informed me this evening that I lack reading comprehension. I’m confident that reading comprehension wasn’t an issue for your mentors.

And I admit all the people I led to Christ happened to be when I was preaching or teaching but I still feel the best sermons are what you do not what you say.

I don’t think it’s an either or situation but, rather, both; and even then it’s not enough.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
An acronym for “historical orthodox trinitarianism” - @Behold calls it “Classic Trinity”.

While we’re on the subject of acronyms, I coined this one a couple of decades ago:

TAHOT - “Trinitarians Against Historical Orthodox Trinitarianism”.

From the 2022 State of Theology study, sponsored by Ligonier Ministries -

“Despite a majority of Americans affirming a Trinitarian God with three divine persons, most still aren’t sure how that applies to Jesus or the Holy Spirit. Slightly more than half (55%) believe Jesus is the first and greatest created being. Another 53% say He was a great teacher but not God. Close to 3 in 5 (59%) believe the Holy Spirit is a force but not a personal being.”

'Jesus Was Created, God Not Perfect' - Sobering New Study: Americans Hold Many More Biblically-Inaccurate Views

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Me? I’m pretty sure @Taken knows I’m not in agreement with him. If he didn’t know before, he knows now.

Correct.
I know Matthias you and I are not in agreement regarding every point.

Also Correct.
Most people are not in agreement on every fine Point.

Also Correct.
It is The Big Picture God Requires men to be in Agreement with God.
* Belief...in the Lord God Almighty IS God....= WITH God.
* Heartful Confessed Belief...= God WITH that man eternally.

Glory to God,
Taken

Status
Not open for further replies.