God’s grace, plus the believer’s part: enduring faith, works, obedience!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Here is a question for you? What part of James 2 don't you understand...the part about satan and the demons, or "faith without works is dead" they are tied together..if you say your have faith, and believe, but do not walk the walk you are like satan and the demons.....easy enough to understand right?
And yet Jesus said to the pharriesses who presumed they had all te hanswers..

Joh 9:40 And some of the Pharisees which were with him heard these words, and said unto him, Are we blind also?
Joh 9:41 Jesus said unto them, If ye were blind, ye should have no sin: but now ye say, We see; therefore your sin remaineth.

HTE you are flogging a dead horse, you will never breath life into that which is dead.

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
heretoeternity said:
Here is a question for you? What part of James 2 don't you understand...the part about satan and the demons, or "faith without works is dead" they are tied together..if you say your have faith, and believe, but do not walk the walk you are like satan and the demons.....easy enough to understand right?
How do we stop believing on the finished work of the cross
when we have already been sealed until redemption Eph 1:13-14 NIV, Eph 4:30 NIV.
Why aren't demons saved and have eternal life if they believed Rom 10:9 NIV, John 6:47 NIV.

- ATP

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Zachary said:
We could start here ...

Matthew 7:
21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven,
but he who does the will of My Father in heaven.
22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name,
cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’
23 And then I will declare to them,
‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’

But, we all need to figure out what God's will is for us.
Might it be to obey Jesus' teachings and commands?
Might it be to put on Jesus' character of obedience, righteousness, holiness?

One Spirit-filled evangelist of years gone by said:
Jesus "knowing" means "approving of".

It might just be obvious that Jesus approves of ...
those who put on His character of obedience, righteousness, holiness.
John 6:27
Do not work for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give to you, for on Him the Father, God, has set His seal.” 28 Therefore they said to Him, “What shall we do, so that we may work the works of God?” 29 Jesus answered and said to them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent.”

And what is it to do the will of God?

40 For this is the will of My Father, that everyone who beholds the Son and believes in Him will have eternal life, and I Myself will raise him up on the last day.”

And lets not forget the Law.

Matthew 22
34 But when the Pharisees heard that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, they gathered themselves together. 35 One of them, [n]a lawyer, asked Him a question, testing Him, 36 “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” 37 And He said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the great and [o]foremost commandment.39 The second is like it, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets.”

The mark of a true believer is summed here. All those with saving faith abide in Christ through belief and love in the Spirit. God has given of His Spirit that we do abide.

John 3
23 This is His commandment, that we believe in the name of His Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, just as He commanded us. 24 The one who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. We know by this that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us.

Hebrews 13
20 Now the God of peace, who brought up from the dead the great Shepherd of the sheep through the blood of the eternal covenant, even Jesus our Lord,21 equip you in every good thing to do His will, working in us that which is pleasing in His sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be the glory forever and ever. Amen.

Let me assure you salvation is a work of God, not of man. It is not by our strength we are saved, it is by God's grace. Our part is through faith. Love is the natural outworking of the Spirit. Without love the claim to have the Spirit is void. By this we know the children of God. No one who is being saved disagrees with righteous action, because Jesus is righteous. Where the contention starts is when righteous action is claimed to be the requirement for salvation. We are saved by faith through God's grace. We love because we are children of God, not in order to receive salvation or become children of God. The latter produces selfish love, which is no love at all and is in fact iniquity for we have not believed in the completed work of Christ on the cross. (Refer back to the Matthew 7:21-23) We do not add to the gospel, we submit.

To be clear we are told the gospel very plainly...

15 Now I make known to you, brethren, the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received, in which also you stand, 2 by which also you are saved, if you hold fast [a]the word which I preached to you, unless you believed in vain.
3 For I delivered to you [b]as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures,

Adding works to receive salvation states you do not believe Jesus died for our sins rather we must work for salvation. Meditate on this above section of Scripture.

God Bless!

heretoeternity said:
There is no part of James I am unsure of. It is a smaller epistle. I read it within minutes. Again demons and Satan will never be "saved". For context we are talking about a certain action James is speaking of consisting of this "work".

8 If, however, you are fulfilling the royal law according to the Scripture, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself,” you are doing well.

Lets be truthful here. The mocking tone you were using against ATP, is that loving? How about your condescending tone you used with me, is that loving? What work would you have us do? What walk are you speaking of that we must walk? Jesus and James and Paul and Peter and John and Jude all suggest Love coupled in Faith is the teaching.

The devil and demons are busy at "work" accusing the beloved. Let us look to the Christ and reflect Him in His command He has given, love.

JPPT1974

Flowers of May
Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 23, 2012
East TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are saved only by the Grace of God!

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
JPPT1974 said:
We are saved only by the Grace of God!
Actually Paul says in Rom 10:9-11 that we are saved by confessing our faith in Jesus being our savior. It is of course God's grace that we are able to do this, as Paul shows in Eph 2:8-9, but salvation occurs when we confess him as our savior, not before. The tense is important in both these scriptures because the first conveys a previous tense and the second conveys a past tense.

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Zachary said:
Saving faith results in obedience!

Matthew 19:
16 Now behold, one came and said to Him,
“Good Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life?”
17 So He said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God.
But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments.”
18 He said to Him, “Which ones?” Jesus said, “‘You shall not murder,’ ‘You shall not commit adultery,’
‘You shall not steal,’ ‘You shall not bear false witness,’
19 ‘Honor your father and your mother,’ and, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ ”
Mark 10:
17 Now as He was going out on the road, one came running, knelt before Him, and asked Him,
“Good Teacher, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life?”
18 So Jesus said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God.
19 You know the commandments: ‘Do not commit adultery,’ ‘Do not murder,’ ‘Do not steal,’
‘Do not bear false witness,’ ‘Do not defraud,’ ‘Honor your father and your mother.’ ”
Luke 18:
18 Now a certain ruler asked Him, saying,
“Good Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?”
19 So Jesus said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God.
20 You know the commandments: ‘Do not commit adultery,’ ‘Do not murder,’ ‘Do not steal,’
‘Do not bear false witness,’ ‘Honor your father and your mother.’ ”
There are many more NT verses which say obedience is required to obtain eternal life.

Saving faith results in works!

The Parable of the Talents -- Matthew 25:14-30
5 talents produced 5 more -- “good and faithful servant”
2 talents produced 2 more -- “good and faithful servant”
1 talent produced 0 more -- “wicked and lazy servant”, “unprofitable servant” …
“cast the unprofitable servant into the outer darkness. There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.”
Somehow, this just doesn’t sound like heaven to me!
“Christ gives different gifts to different people according to their ability … But whatever gifts He gives,
He wants us to use them … Christ does not expect everyone to return the same amount to Him (Mk 4:20).
But He does expect that we return to Him all that we can. Especially, He expects from us our love,
our faith, our obedience … The wicked and lazy servant in the end did not preserve his talent; he lost it.
If we do not use our spiritual and material blessings in God’s service, they will be taken away from us.
If we grieve the Holy Spirit, He will depart from us … The punishment for a servant who misuses a gift
of God is very severe. When we do not use God’s gift in His service, we cheat God, we oppose God.
Therefore, He will oppose us.”
(Dr. Thomas Holt (a Spirit-filled missionary), The Applied New Testament Commentary, 1996)

The Parable of the Minas -- Luke 19:12-27
10 minas produced 10 more -- “good servant”
10 minas produced 5 more -- “good servant”
1 mina produced 0 more -- “wicked servant” …
“bring here those enemies of mine, who did not want me to reign over them,
and slay them before me.”
Somehow, this just doesn’t sound like heaven to me!
“The parable of the ten minas (Lk 19:12-27) is very similar to this parable of the talents … the meaning of
(the 2 parables) is the same … we all must use the gifts of God as diligently as we can, and that God will
reward each of us according to our work and faithfulness … Then at the end of the parable, the king had
those enemies put to death (Lk 19:27) … Let us not be among those who oppose the true King, Christ,
the King of Kings. If we reject His gifts, if we refuse to serve Him, we shall bring upon ourselves
eternal condemnation.”
(Dr. Thomas Holt (a Spirit-filled missionary), The Applied New Testament Commentary, 1996)

Believers today who have been following false teachers …
are like the Hebrews of Jesus’ time who were following the Pharisees!
IMO, it is a case of not only the blind following the blind, but also
often the deliberate and selfish choice to place themselves over their sheep.
Since you only use references from the 4 gospels I take it that you like to be under the Law of Moses. How is that coming along, are you sinless yet?

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
iakov said:
Saving faith does not AUTOMATICALLY result in obedience and works.
It results in the desire to be obedient and to do good works.
We must choose to act on that desire.

iakov the fool

[SIZE=9pt]You have chosen to subject yourself to the rantings of iakov the fool. No warrantee is declared or implied. Individual mileage may vary. Enjoy the rest of your day. [/SIZE]
I wish those that throw out the requirement of obedience would tell us what they mean by obedience.

The reader has to determine what is meant by obedience.

Is it obedience to keep the Law of Moses (which no man can do) or is it the obedience of faith in God's promises as told by Paul's gospel of grace?.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've posed this question myself, H. Richard. By not taking the text in proper and full context I can find one instance where Jesus told someone to obey the law of Moses (the account of the rich young man....). Other than that, it comes down to believing with all your heart in Jesus and loving the brethren. And I agree.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
FHII said:
I've posed this question myself, H. Richard. By not taking the text in proper and full context I can find one instance where Jesus told someone to obey the law of Moses (the account of the rich young man....). Other than that, it comes down to believing with all your heart in Jesus and loving the brethren. And I agree.
If you closely examine what Jesus said in Matt 19:16-22, you will see Jesus did not answer the rich young man's question exactly as he posed it.
The Rich Young Man asked what he must do to have eternal life and Jesus responded in V 17 thusly; “Why do you ask me about what is good? There is only one who is good. But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments.”
The sad thing was not just that the rich young man went away not wanting to give up his riches but that he didn't really understand that Jesus told them something different. If he would have identified that who knows what he might have thought or done.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
ATP said:
non-osas is the accuser.

Rev 12:10 NIV Then I heard a loud voice in heaven say: "Now have come the salvation and the power and the kingdom of our God, and the authority of his Messiah. For the accuser of our brothers and sisters, who accuses them before our God day and night, has been hurled down.
No they ain't. You have a right to express your opinion here but that does not mean you are correct. I am a non-osas believer. I base this on my own opinion and study of the word. That does not make me an accuser of the brethren or a follower of Satan. The Holy Spirit is my witness and I am content with that... :)

Why aren't demons saved and have eternal life if they believed Rom 10:9 NIV, John 6:47 NIV.
...because Jesus did not die for angels, he died for flesh and blood.

14 Inasmuch then as the children have partaken of flesh and blood, He Himself likewise shared in the same, that through death He might destroy him who had the power of death, that is, the devil, 15 and release those who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.16 For indeed He does not give aid to angels, but He does give aid to the seed of Abraham. 17 Therefore, in all things He had to be made like His brethren, that He might be a merciful and faithful High Priest in things pertaining to God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people. 18 For in that He Himself has suffered, being tempted, He is able to aid those who are tempted.
Bless you!

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
Angelina said:
No they ain't. You have a right to express your opinion here but that does not mean you are correct. I am a non-osas believer. I base this on my own opinion and study of the word. That does not make me an accuser of the brethren or a follower of Satan. The Holy Spirit is my witness and I am content with that... :)
Ok, so if the promised Holy Spirit is your witness and is in you until redemption, why do you believe you can lose your salvation. :)

Eph 1:13-14 NIV And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, 14who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession—to the praise of his glory.

Eph 4:30 NIV And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.

Zachary

Sep 24, 2015
B.C., Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
StanJ said:
The Bible also states that Jesus died for sin once for all.
That means that our sin has already been provided for in the sense of atonement.
Jesus Paid the price once and he did it for all sin for all time.
Once we acknowledge that and receive him as our savior it becomes effective in our lives.
Sorry, the NT Scriptures stand opposed to this false OSAS idea ...
where one can think they're saved whilst carrying on happily in their sins.
God HATES sin ... and habitual unrepentant sinners (including believers)
will NOT inherit eternal life.

1 John 1 instructs believers to repent to have Jesus' blood cover their sins.

Zachary

Sep 24, 2015
B.C., Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
justaname said:
Let me assure you salvation is a work of God, not of man.
It is not by our strength we are saved, it is by God's grace.
Our part is through faith.
Adding works to receive salvation states
you do not believe Jesus died for our sins rather we must work for salvation.
The NT Scriptures teach that salvation comes from more than faith.
Salvation comes through those things which proceed from faith.
Faith without works is dead.

Everyone insists on ignoring Paul's warning in Romans 6 ...
faith >> obedience >> righteousness >> holiness >> eternal life

Many think obedience to Jesus' commands fall into the category of works!
Jesus said several times ... If you love Me, you will obey My commands!
And Jesus said ... Why call Me "Lord" and refuse to do what I say!

Do you think anyone is going to heaven who does not love Jesus?
Do you think anyone is going to heaven who is not involved in
repenting of his/her sins?

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Zachary said:
Sorry, the NT Scriptures stand opposed to this false OSAS idea ...
where one can think they're saved whilst carrying on happily in their sins.
God HATES sin ... and habitual unrepentant sinners (including believers)
will NOT inherit eternal life.
1 John 1 instructs believers to repent to have Jesus' blood cover their sins.
I agree, so I have no idea why you're stating this? I said nothing about OSAS.

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
Zach: Sorry, the NT Scriptures stand opposed to this false OSAS idea ...where one can think they're saved whilst carrying on happily in their sins.

ATP: Rev 12:10 NIV Then I heard a loud voice in heaven say: “Now have come the salvation and the power and the kingdom of our God, and the authority of his Messiah. For the accuser of our brothers and sisters, who accuses them before our God day and night, has been hurled down.

- Amen

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Zachary said:
The NT Scriptures teach that salvation comes from more than faith.
Salvation comes through those things which proceed from faith.
Faith without works is dead.

Everyone insists on ignoring Paul's warning in Romans 6 ...
faith >> obedience >> righteousness >> holiness >> eternal life

Many think obedience to Jesus' commands fall into the category of works!
Jesus said several times ... If you love Me, you will obey My commands!
And Jesus said ... Why call Me "Lord" and refuse to do what I say!

Do you think anyone is going to heaven who does not love Jesus?
Do you think anyone is going to heaven who is not involved in
repenting of his/her sins?

Salvation comes from, in, and through God alone! Selah

Obedience to commands "works" do not result in salvation, else there would be no need for the New Covenant. The Bible is clear; salvation is of God for His purpose according to His will. The gospel is the power of God for salvation. Romans 1:16 It is through faith in the gospel that we justify God's salvation for us. Romans 10:9-10

Obedience and love are the outworking sanctification of the Holy Spirit. Faith in the gospel is the inward transformation that allows for the indwelling of the Holy Spirit and our eventual salvation. As it is salvation is presented in the Bible as something that happened in the past, something current, and something future. Perhaps this is the reason for all the confusion and discussion held between people on this subject. None the less the requirement for salvation is always faith in the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ, nothing more. To say it requires obedience and or love is putting the horse behind the cart. Those in rebellion to God can not obey Him until they are His children. Those in rebellion to God can not love Him until they are no longer in rebellion. Without the initial faith that results in salvation, people are dead in their sins. What can a dead person do?...nothing because he/she is dead! You are confusing sanctification (which is the evidence for salvation and the natural progression for all being saved) with salvation.

Your questions are unwarranted because I never claimed anything of the like. Go back and re-read my original post to you.

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
Persecution of the Saints

Matt 5:10-12 NIV Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 11“Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. 12Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

John 15:18-25 NIV “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. 19If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you. 20Remember what I told you: ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also. If they obeyed my teaching, they will obey yours also. 21They will treat you this way because of my name, for they do not know the one who sent me. 22If I had not come and spoken to them, they would not be guilty of sin; but now they have no excuse for their sin. 23Whoever hates me hates my Father as well. 24If I had not done among them the works no one else did, they would not be guilty of sin. As it is, they have seen, and yet they have hated both me and my Father. 25But this is to fulfill what is written in their Law: ‘They hated me without reason.’

Gal 4:29 NIV At that time the son born according to the flesh persecuted the son born by the power of the Spirit. It is the same now.

Gal 5:7-12 NIV You were running a good race. Who cut in on you to keep you from obeying the truth? 8That kind of persuasion does not come from the one who calls you. 9“A little yeast works through the whole batch of dough.” 10I am confident in the Lord that you will take no other view. The one who is throwing you into confusion, whoever that may be, will have to pay the penalty. 11Brothers and sisters, if I am still preaching circumcision, why am I still being persecuted? In that case the offense of the cross has been abolished. 12As for those agitators, I wish they would go the whole way and emasculate themselves!

Gal 6:12-14 NIV Those who want to impress people by means of the flesh are trying to compel you to be circumcised. The only reason they do this is to avoid being persecuted for the cross of Christ. 13Not even those who are circumcised keep the law, yet they want you to be circumcised that they may boast about your circumcision in the flesh. 14May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

Rev 12:10 NIV Then I heard a loud voice in heaven say: “Now have come the salvation and the power and the kingdom of our God, and the authority of his Messiah. For the accuser of our brothers and sisters, who accuses them before our God day and night, has been hurled down.

Keep your heads up saints. - ATP

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
ATP said:
Ok, so if the promised Holy Spirit is your witness and is in you until redemption, why do you believe you can lose your salvation. :)

Eph 1:13-14 NIV And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, 14who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession—to the praise of his glory.

Eph 4:30 NIV And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.
Hebrews 6
4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted the heavenly gift, and have become partakers of the Holy Spirit, 5 and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, 6 if they fall away, to renew them again to repentance, since they crucify again for themselves the Son of God, and put Him to an open shame.

...because it is possible to fall away even with the Holy Spirit in the house. :huh:

Acts 5
3 But Peter said, “Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and keep back part of the price of the land for yourself? 4 While it remained, was it not your own? And after it was sold, was it not in your own control? Why have you conceived this thing in your heart? You have not lied to men but to God.”

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
Angelina said:
Hebrews 6
4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted the heavenly gift, and have become partakers of the Holy Spirit, 5 and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, 6 if they fall away, to renew them again to repentance, since they crucify again for themselves the Son of God, and put Him to an open shame.

...because it is possible to fall away even with the Holy Spirit in the house. :huh:
They fell away because they had no root of salvation, they were never born again. Jesus Christ is the root Angelina. Once you are indwelled with the seed of God, that seed is imperishable.

Heb 6:7-8 NIV Land that drinks in the rain often falling on it and that produces a crop useful to those for whom it is farmed receives the blessing of God. 8But land that produces thorns and thistles is worthless and is in danger of being cursed. In the end it will be burned.

Matt 13:20-23 NIV The seed falling on rocky ground refers to someone who hears the word and at once receives it with joy. 21But since they have no root, they last only a short time. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, they quickly fall away. 22The seed falling among the thorns refers to someone who hears the word, but the worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth choke the word, making it unfruitful. 23But the seed falling on good soil refers to someone who hears the word and understands it. This is the one who produces a crop, yielding a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown.”

1 Pet 1:23 NIV For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God.

Also, it's impossible to crucify the Son of God all over again when He is already a one time sacrifice for sins. Jesus has already paid the sin debt.

Psalm 130:3-4 NIV If you, Lord, kept a record of sins, Lord, who could stand? 4But with you there is forgiveness, so that we can, with reverence, serve you.

Rom 4:7-8 NIV / Psalm 32:1-2 NIV “Blessed are those whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered. 8Blessed is the one whose sin the Lord will never count against them.”

Rom 6:10 NIV The death he died, he died to sin once for all; but the life he lives, he lives to God.

1 Cor 15:12-19 NIV But if it is preached that Christ has been raised from the dead, how can some of you say that there is no resurrection of the dead? 13If there is no resurrection of the dead, then not even Christ has been raised. 14And if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith. 15More than that, we are then found to be false witnesses about God, for we have testified about God that he raised Christ from the dead. But he did not raise him if in fact the dead are not raised. 16For if the dead are not raised, then Christ has not been raised either. 17And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins. 18Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ are lost. 19If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are of all people most to be pitied.

2 Cor 5:18-20 NIV All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation: 19 that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting men's sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation. 20 We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ's behalf: Be reconciled to God.

Col 2:13-15 NIV When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins, 14having canceled the charge of our legal indebtedness, which stood against us and condemned us; he has taken it away, nailing it to the cross. 15And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross.

Heb 7:23-25 NIV Now there have been many of those priests, since death prevented them from continuing in office; 24 but because Jesus lives forever, he has a permanent priesthood. 25 Therefore he is able to save completely those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them.

Heb 7:27 NIV Unlike the other high priests, he does not need to offer sacrifices day after day, first for his own sins, and then for the sins of the people. He sacrificed for their sins once for all when he offered himself.

Heb 9:12 NIV He did not enter by means of the blood of goats and calves; but he entered the Most Holy Place once for all by his own blood, having obtained eternal redemption.

Heb 9:24-28 NIV For Christ did not enter a man-made sanctuary that was only a copy of the true one; he entered heaven itself, now to appear for us in God's presence. 25 Nor did he enter heaven to offer himself again and again, the way the high priest enters the Most Holy Place every year with blood that is not his own. 26 Then Christ would have had to suffer many times since the creation of the world. But now he has appeared once for all at the end of the ages to do away with sin by the sacrifice of himself. 27 Just as man is destined to die once, and after that to face judgment, 28 so Christ was sacrificed once to take away the sins of many people; and he will appear a second time, not to bear sin, but to bring salvation to those who are waiting for him.

Heb 10:10-14 NIV And by that will, we have been made holy through the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ once for all. 11Day after day every priest stands and performs his religious duties; again and again he offers the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins. 12But when this priest had offered for all time one sacrifice for sins, he sat down at the right hand of God, 13and since that time he waits for his enemies to be made his footstool. 14For by one sacrifice he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy.

1 Pet 3:18 NIV For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive in the Spirit.

- ATP :huh:

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
They fell away because they had no root of salvation, they were never born again. Jesus Christ is the root Angelina. Once you are indwelled with the seed of God, that seed is imperishable.
Hebrews 6 in context
Therefore, leaving the discussion of the elementaryprinciples of Christ, let us go on to perfection, not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God, 2 of the doctrine of baptisms, of laying on of hands, of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment. 3 And this we will do if God permits.
4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted the heavenly gift, and have become partakers of the Holy Spirit, 5 and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, 6 if they fall away, to renew them again to repentance, since they crucify again for themselves the Son of God, and putHim to an open shame.
7 For the earth which drinks in the rain that often comes upon it, and bears herbs useful for those by whom it is cultivated, receives blessing from God; 8 but if it bears thorns and briers, it is rejected and near to being cursed, whose end is to be burned.

It is clear by this verse alone that it is possible to fall away even with the presence of the Holy Spirit.

Also, it's impossible to crucify the Son of God all over again when He is already a one time sacrifice for sins. Jesus has already paid the sin debt.
The key element in this passage is "renew them again to repentance" not that they have not repented but that they have.... We already understand that Christ was offered once to bear the sins of many.