God and slavery

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Super Kal

Nov 27, 2007
as a Christian, I have had a very tough time with this subject...in the Old Testament and New Testament both talk about how people should treat their servants... even in the Old Testament, it says they're allowed to beat their slaves as long as they don't die from it 1-2 days later.Personally, I can't believe God would allow slavery of ANY kind, no matter if it were because of social status or not. Now this doesn't make me struggle in my faith, but I know a few other people do, and it's one of the things that leads them away from Christ... so my question is why would God allow such a thing as slavery?and I apologize if this has been discussed already
ohmy.gif

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Well we discussed this a while ago and came to the conclusion that slavery wasnt necessarily a bad thing in those days sure you had you occasional mean slave ownerbut in those days slaves came in all colors and nationalities. So we were thinking that it was more like guaranteed work and living quarters another words they didn't have big companies that you worked at so a slave if treated well had guaranteed employment and housing and the owner had guarantees of having permanent workers so it may have been beneficial arrangement for both.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And then Christ came and performed the acts of a slave and died a death that was worse. Slavery was a way of life, and yes, we view it as morally reprehensible these days, but the times were different. In many cases, a slave had a better life than he/she would have otherwise had.Israel even served as slaves - so I remind you that the focus is not on this life. Even Philemon speaks about slavery in the NT. Paul is returning him to his master. Here you have Paul emphasizing his own slavery for a reason. That's where the focus is.Philemon 1:1
Paul, a prisoner of Jesus Christ, and Timothy our brother, unto Philemon our dearly beloved, and fellowlabourer,
Philemon 1:9
Yet for love's sake I rather beseech thee, being such an one as Paul the aged, and now also a prisoner of Jesus Christ.