God changed Seventh Day Sabbath Worship to First Day of the Week

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are free, indeed, to choose any day of the week to be your sabbath. THE Sabbath of the LORD is another matter. It has already been decided to be the 7th day of the week, which is Saturday on many calendars. And some form of the word "Sabbath" on others. Deny it all you want, but you can't change God's Sabbath. Sorry.
Yes, but only God can tell me which day of the week is the last day of the week.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
KJV Genesis 2:2-3
2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

KJV Exodus 20:10-11
10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

KJV Hebrews 4:4
4 For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.

Now unless you can provide a "thus sayeth the Lord" indicating any change in the above, then God's original word stands. Any future arguments are now between you and God.
Unless you've got a "thus sayeth the Lord" that states, "Saturday is the last day of the week," I am not bound to that. In my personal relationship with the Lord, he will tell me which day to go to church.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Unless you've got a "thus sayeth the Lord" that states, "Saturday is the last day of the week," I am not bound to that. In my personal relationship with the Lord, he will tell me which day to go to church.
He's not telling you to go to church. He's asking you to rest. To remember to keep His day holy. If you think going to church is a part of keeping the day holy, then great. But church isn't the focus of the commandment, God is.
As for demanding that He tell you which day is the last day of the week, He has been throughout this thread, and you haven't been listening.

Reactions: GEN2REV

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He's not telling you to go to church. He's asking you to rest. To remember to keep His day holy. If you think going to church is a part of keeping the day holy, then great. But church isn't the focus of the commandment, God is.
As for demanding that He tell you which day is the last day of the week, He has been throughout this thread, and you haven't been listening.
I agree that the sabbath is about getting rest. I see no proof that Saturday is the last day of the week. But I think you are missing the point, which is: we need a day of rest each week.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are all free. The choice to obey in have love for God and love for others is a choice.

No one can force choice.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Those who doesn't seem to understand Scripture, will mock and God warned me there will be mockers in the last days.

To God Be The Glory
Yeah, but those who does understand Scripture as being a whole, and not a buffet, will be mocked, too.
Obviously! There's no validity to what you're sayin' concerning the the things of God.

To God Be The Glory
Kind of a sweeping generalization, isn't it? There's probably tons of stuff we agree on. You believe Jacob had 12 sons, don't you? I think you're just pontificating, frankly.

It's just plain amazing to me the way warning or disagreement is perceived as persecution or trouble-making. It's all throughout the Bible, though. I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Reactions: GEN2REV

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your average second grader can read a calendar, but God did not make that calendar.
Didn't He? :D

A wicked and adulterous generation seeks after a sign, and no sign shall be given to it except the sign of the prophet Jonah.” And He left them and departed. (Matthew 16:4)

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Didn't He? :D

A wicked and adulterous generation seeks after a sign, and no sign shall be given to it except the sign of the prophet Jonah.” And He left them and departed. (Matthew 16:4)
My calendar was copyrighted by Thomas Kinkade Studios.

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, but those who does understand Scripture as being a whole, and not a buffet, will be mocked, too.

No one has the grasp of the whole Bible for we know in part and prophesy in part.

Kind of a sweeping generalization, isn't it? There's probably tons of stuff we agree on. You believe Jacob had 12 sons, don't you? I think you're just pontificating, frankly.

Sorry, there's NOT tons of "stuff" that we agree upon, and if you think I'm pontificating, it's only your opinion.

Who would know better? Some things are obvious unless one is looking for a loophole.[/QUOTE]

Like you and GE who do not understand Matthew 28:1? There's more to Matthew 28:1 than meets the eye.

There is a spiritual essence here why the punishment of stoning to death the man who picked up sticks in Numbers 15 which has never been abrogated nor addressed AND what does it really mean spiritually to "rest in Jesus?"

HINT: Think it this way, the Seventh Day Sabbath is not to do any kinds of physical work, while the First Day Sabbath is to do intense spiritual work. Now go from there.

To God Be The Glory

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your average second grader can read a calendar, but God did not make that calendar.

Sure God did! He said, "the evening and the morning was the first day... again, the evening and the morning was the second day... and so on, and so on.

And, didn't Jesus say there are 12 hours in a day and 12 hours in the night that makes up 24 hours as one day as we have it today?

To God Be The Glory

Last edited:

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sure God did! He said, "the evening and the morning was the first day... again, the evening and the morning was the second day... and so on, and so on.

And, didn't Jesus say there are 12 hours in a day and 12 hours in the night that makes up 24 hours in a day as we have it today?

To God Be The Glory
You are mis-quoting me. I never said, "Your average second grader can read a calendar, but God did not make that calendar."

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sometimes you may per accident say something too clever for you actually to say, but usually, like here, you're making a total mess.
The Colossians 2:16 word for "the weekly (Seventh Day) Sabbath-Of-Feast-Of-Christ its Substance", IS JUST THAT - which means it does NOT <<mean the traditional Hebrew Sabbath>>, but the CHRISTIAN CHURCH-word 'Sabba'tohn' for singular, particular, exclusive DAY of OWN CHRISTIAN Congregational, holy, separate, Worship in "Sabbath's-Feast" and "Assembling Together" of the exclusive "BODY" of "True Believers" and "People of God" of post Hebraic and post Judaic CHRISTIAN age, milieu and growth-bed, which is NOT <<taken from the Hebrew>>. The word germinated, originated and developed in the black-earth of Hellenistic Christian Greek. It owes pre-Christian (paleo) Hebrew NOTHING.

Not for chicken's understanding but for followers of Jesus Christ's knowing and understanding in their OWN roots and beginnings and traditions etcetera – Biblical stuff!

You are wrong. The Colossians 2:16 word for 'sabbaths' is 'sabbaton', which means God's sabbath, the 7th day of the week (or per the Hebrew reckoning, Friday sunset to Saturday sunset).

Col 2:16
16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:
KJV

The word "days" is actually not in the Greek text. It's in italics in my 1611 KJV Bible.

NT:4521
sabbaton (sab'-bat-on); of Hebrew origin [OT:7676]; the Sabbath (i.e. Shabbath), or day of weekly repose from secular avocations (also the observance or institution itself); by extension, a se'nnight, i.e. the interval between two Sabbaths; likewise the plural in all the above applications:

KJV - sabbath (day), week.
(Biblesoft's New Exhaustive Strong's Numbers and Concordance with Expanded Greek-Hebrew Dictionary. Copyright © 1994, 2003, 2006, 2010 Biblesoft, Inc. and International Bible Translators, Inc.)

Number 4521 sabbaton is the same Greek word for the traditional Sabbath written throughout The New Testament.

So your attempt to make Colossians 2:16 a special case does not work.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not challenging your post in any way, but I wonder why so many feel it has to be an IRON-clad Law.

Why can't more people see that many, I'd even say most, 7th Day Sabbath Keepers honor and keep that particular day out of sincere reverence for their God, Genesis 2:2 and the epic event on Mount Sinai where God gave the Tablets of Stone?

That's truly what it's all about. It's what a majority of The Bible itself is all about.

Honoring and revering God and keeping His Commandments.

Sure, if folks choose not to, so be it. Revelation 22:11

Nothing wrong with wanting to keep it per Old Testament tradition, but that means from Friday sunset to Saturday sunset per the old Hebrew calendar, AND... it means NO SERVILE WORK is allowed during that time period.

Those in Christ Jesus are not held to a certain day to worship. Any day of the week is good.

Why possibly did Lord Jesus do this per The New Covenant (as shown by Paul in Colossians 2:16)? I believe it's because especially at the end of this world, it is going to be difficult to keep any particular day to hold Church. We have had actual examples of this in Communist controlled nations, congregations would meet in secret when they could, and would go out at midnight under the cover of darkness to hold baptisms. At one time in the U.S., at least a hundred years ago or more, there were Blue Laws that required everyone to show up at Church on Sunday. If you didn't show up, the local sheriff would send out his deputies to find you and bring you to Church. Those Blue Laws also prevented businesses from being open on Sunday, no selling of alcohol, etc. There's still 'dry' counties in my State that it's against the law to sell any alcohol.

As the devil's servants reign over all peoples at the end of this world, only the Antichrist's method of worship will be required for all. I don't plan on abiding by his way of worship, which will mean bowing to the image of the beast.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't plan on abiding by his way of worship, which will mean bowing to the image of the beast.
Act 5:29 Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men.

Who instituted the sabbath?
Who instituted sunday observance?

Psa 119:115 Depart from me, ye evildoers: for I will keep the commandments of my God.
Psa 119:151 Thou art near, O LORD; and all thy commandments are truth.

Mar 10:19 Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother.
Mar 10:20 And he answered and said unto him, Master, all these have I observed from my youth.
Mar 10:21 Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me.
Mar 10:22 And he was sad at that saying, and went away grieved: for he had great possessions.

Isa 58:13 If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words:
Isa 58:14 Then shalt thou delight thyself in the LORD; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it.

give to the poor... generosity, hospitality, charity...

Exo 16:2 And the whole congregation of the children of Israel murmured against Moses and Aaron in the wilderness:
Exo 16:3 And the children of Israel said unto them, Would to God we had died by the hand of the LORD in the land of Egypt, when we sat by the flesh pots, and when we did eat bread to the full; for ye have brought us forth into this wilderness, to kill this whole assembly with hunger.

Exo 16:4 Then said the LORD unto Moses, Behold, I will rain bread from heaven for you; and the people shall go out and gather a certain rate every day, that I may prove them, whether they will walk in my law, or no.

Exo 16:29 See, for that the LORD hath given you the sabbath, therefore he giveth you on the sixth day the bread of two days; abide ye every man in his place, let no man go out of his place on the seventh day.

Act 20:35 I have shewed you all things, how that so labouring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive.

Psa 113:2 Blessed be the name of the LORD from this time forth and for evermore.

Amen