God is Just to Forgive Past sins

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When the Bible speaks of the justice of God to forgive sins by faith in His Son, He is saying that our confession of faith saves and forgives us from the death penalty of our sins that are past.

According to His law, past sins can be forgiven by the death of a sacrifice on our behalf. The justice of His judgment, is that He cannot then go back and judge us for our past sins, once we have been found not guilty.

He is not an unjust judge to rule us not guilty with past transgressions, but then 'retry' our case as in double jeopardy.

It does not mean any case of transgression before Him now, is also already forgiven, and unjust for Him to find us guilty.

But since Jesus is still the Advocate for the whole world, by whom we recieved forgiveness in the past, then we can come to Him again by confession, that this case too should be ruled not guilty.

God is not an unjust judge to try us again in double jeopardy, but He certainly is a just judge to rule us guilty for present and/or future transgression against Him.

The LORD is slow to anger, and great in power, and will not at all acquit the wicked:

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would've used the word "righteous" in place of "just"; they are the same word in Greek.

Luther was terrified at the phrase, "the righteousness of God" because it was the righteousness of God that condemned him as a sinner. Yet it is the righteousness of God that forgives the sinner. (Romans 3:21.) This is the "Deeper Magic" C.S. Lewis's Aslan (Lewis's portrayal of Christ in the Narnia series) spoke of as he was being sacrificed.

That particular phrase, "Deeper Magic" has stuck with me over the years. Forgiveness, not eye-for-an-eye justice, is the right thing to do.

Last edited:

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When the Bible speaks of the justice of God to forgive sins by faith in His Son, He is saying that our confession of faith saves and forgives us from the death penalty of our sins that are past.

According to His law, past sins can be forgiven by the death of a sacrifice on our behalf. The justice of His judgment, is that He cannot then go back and judge us for our past sins, once we have been found not guilty.

He is not an unjust judge to rule us not guilty with past transgressions, but then 'retry' our case as in double jeopardy.

It does not mean any case of transgression before Him now, is also already forgiven, and unjust for Him to find us guilty.

But since Jesus is still the Advocate for the whole world, by whom we recieved forgiveness in the past, then we can come to Him again by confession, that this case too should be ruled not guilty.

God is not an unjust judge to try us again in double jeopardy, but He certainly is a just judge to rule us guilty for present and/or future transgression against Him.

The LORD is slow to anger, and great in power, and will not at all acquit the wicked:
One thing that is noteworthy is that our forgiveness is one of the basis Jehovah examines in His forgiveness Robert. Mat 6:14

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He is just in Jesus shedding his blood, an accepting it as the payment of all sins. Not just the past, and some may suggest.
Great. Now you've got yourself doctrinally covered for all your sinning to come. Enjoy.

Choosing rather to suffer affliction with the people of God, than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Great. Now you've got yourself doctrinally covered for all your sinning to come. Enjoy.

Choosing rather to suffer affliction with the people of God, than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season.
Don’t you love that God will deal with me personally without your interference?

Reactions: mailmandan

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don’t you love that God will deal with me personally without your interference?
Of course. I wouldn't want to be anywhere near you at the time.

And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

Doctrinally made covers for sinning didn't work with Adam and Even, nor the Jews of Jesus' day on earth.

If I had not come and spoken unto them, they had not had sin: but now they have no cloke for their sin.

Having doctrine alone, like faith alone, doesn't save anyone, even if we put all our faith into our doctrine alone.

Gospel Believer

Aug 2, 2019
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

When “ I” sin, which is way more often than I care to admit , ( how about you?), I do the same thing with my Sin that God does—- I put it on the Cross.

If you think that makes me think that I can, “ Sin and get away with it “, you would be wrong.....There is “ NO Condemnation” for the Children Of God , but God will not hesitate to Chastize you if you are fool enough to try to take advsntsge of the Grace that His Son Shed His Sacred Blood for....I’ve been to God’s “ Wood Shed” many times...it’s not pleasant—- God does not play games there....He ain’t gonna be Mocked.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of course. I wouldn't want to be anywhere near you at the time.

And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

Doctrinally made covers for sinning didn't work with Adam and Even, nor the Jews of Jesus' day on earth.

If I had not come and spoken unto them, they had not had sin: but now they have no cloke for their sin.

Having doctrine alone, like faith alone, doesn't save anyone, even if we put all our faith into our doctrine alone.

You seem to be highly judgemental toward someone who suggest that God is powerful enough to convict people by the spirit, and there ain’t nothing wrong with sharing the word with people as long as you’re actually doing it contextually in my opinion, but not many people do that so. It is not about doctrines man is about Christ Jesus. And how he changes the life of someone who used to hate and want to kill people, or they were stuck in depression and darkness he comes to bring light.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When “ I” sin, which is way more often than I care to admit , ( how about you?), I do the same thing with my Sin that God does—- I put it on the Cross.

If you think that makes me think that I can, “ Sin and get away with it “, you would be wrong.....There is “ NO Condemnation” for the Children Of God , but God will not hesitate to Chastize you if you are fool enough to try to take advsntsge of the Grace that His Son Shed His Sacred Blood for....I’ve been to God’s “ Wood Shed” many times...it’s not pleasant—- God does not play games there....He ain’t gonna be Mocked.
Better to be chastened of the LORD than left to our own demise .
If we would judge ourselves we would not be chastened , but when we are chastened it is so we are not condemned
with the world . The chastisments of the LORD have led many to repentance indeed .
I thought you had passed away . The gospel is under attack big time . But there have been some helping me
to defend the one true faith once delivered long ago .
But it is UNDER serious attack , even here in this place .
We got folks trying to teach carrying your cross but have left off the idea that ONE HAS TO ACTUALLY have FAITH IN HE who was
crucified on it . Its another attempt of the social all inclusive lie .
These people .
How on earth can you teach all religoins and peoples to carry their cross , to attain to righteousness
WHEN the ONLY WAY TO DO SO cometh BY FAITH IN CHRIST .
ITs another works gospel getting preached , yet again .
its like a man trying to travel on a long journey .
So he says i need a carriage , a horse and two wheels .
SO then by his own craftiness he says alas i know how to make it better .
Let me put the horse in the carriage and let me take the wheels off the carriage
and then put the wheels on my back and i shall pull both the horse and the carriage .
NO MAN can do that by HIS OWN POWER . NO man can either carry the cross , or attain to righteousness
APART FROM CHRIST . IT just aint gonna happen . My advice , BELIEVE YE IN HE WHOM GOD DID SEND
have your FAITH IN HIM . Without faith it is impossible to please God . And if one has not FAITH
in CHRIST , believe me their faith is NOT IN GOD . and its all vain .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

ButterflyJones

Feb 19, 2023
USA
youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Roman Catholic doctrine is a law to itself.

It is not what Jesus taught nor sealed with his blood.

Reactions: amigo de christo

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good. We stay saved, by staying forgiven, by confessing any sin to be forgiven of.

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

It could be 70 x 7 or 170 x 7, so long as we are not tempting and mocking God with lips-only confession.

Afterall, if we sin, and He does not draw us to Him to confess from the heart, then there is no more forgiveness of sins.

If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.

If someone is obviously bound on sinning unto death, we're not to even pray for them. It was the same with Samuel and Saul. Any doctrine teaching someone's sinning is not death to soul and separation from God, is doctrinally sending themselves to hell.

If they practise it. Some false teachers teach it, but they don't actually practice it, but they will still be held accountable to God for leading others to death, that do practise it.

( how about you?),
Same for me. And I have known the Rom 7 wretchedness of being double hearted in the faith, but like Paul I acknowledge I needed deliverance to be blessed with no more condemnation for sinning, and move on to Rom 8.

I never made a lifelong justifying my double mindedness by doctrinal fiat. I desire to be forgiven and justified by Christ, not by my own hypocritical doctrine.
.There is “ NO Condemnation” for the Children Of God ,
That are not sinning with the world, and are walking after the spirit, and not doing unrighteous works of the flesh.

As I said, I don't cloke my sinning with self-absolving 'doctrine'. If I sin against God, I need to confess and be forgiven and saved from my past sin.

Saints are saved from sinning, not while sinning.

but God will not hesitate to Chastize you if you are fool enough to try to take advsntsge of the Grace that His Son Shed His Sacred Blood for...
The chastisement of the world is the morning after. The chastisement of God for His people, is to be separated from Him by sinning.

Only the sons of God can know what it is to be separated from God's Spirit, since we are the only ones who know Him and what it is to be born of His Spirit and reconciled to Him.

The biggest hypocritical lie of Christian history, that Paul constantly had to rebuke, is that we are no more condemned for doing the same as we used to, which is the same as the world.

God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.

Know ye not that your bodies are the members of Christ? shall I then take the members of Christ, and make them the members of an harlot? God forbid.

But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is therefore Christ the minister of sin? God forbid.

.I’ve been to God’s “ Wood Shed” many times...it’s not pleasant—- God does not play games there...
If you're speaking of being separated from the Spirit of Christ, then you are correct. Which I also have known.

If you're just talking about the common affects on life and flesh by works of the flesh, then you're just talking about being another sinner of the world.

.He ain’t gonna be Mocked.
Very hollow. Anyone thinking they are not condemned for doing the same the condemned world is doing, is mocking God in the extreme.

Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.

If someone doesn't know the difference between not having the Spirit of Christ while sinning, and having His Spirit while doing righteousness, then they don't know Him.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You seem to be highly judgemental
I know. I'm not a liberal.

I believe the OSAS heresy has reached it's extreme end today, because the free-sex hippies of the 60's wanted to become Christian in their own way.

They probably got sick of all the free sex, but just didn't want to condemn it as whore and whoremongering community trash.

toward someone who suggest that God is powerful enough to convict people by the spirit,

Of course He does. He just doesn't justify sinning for anyone, especially not His own people. He's not an unjust judge to condemn the guilty and then excuse His own as 'not guilty'.
And how he changes the life of someone who used to hate and want to kill people, or they were stuck in depression and darkness he comes to bring light.
Don't forget the drunkards, fornication, thieves, homosexuality, lying cursings, etc...

I was never a wanna-be murderer nor depressed as a sinners. I still need salvation from my own personal sinning.

People can be delivered from murderous hatred and dark depression. It doesn't mean they're saved and walking in the true light of Christ with fellowship of God.

No one doing any unrighteous work of the flesh is walking in the light.

If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:

I'm happy for anyone not depressed. It doesn't mean we're saved and justified by Christ. If that's your testimony, then good. Now go for the real thing, and seek deliverance from all sinning with the flesh.

Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall: For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know. I'm not a liberal.

I believe the OSAS heresy has reached it's extreme end today, because the free-sex hippies of the 60's wanted to become Christian in their own way.

They probably got sick of all the free sex, but just didn't want to condemn it as whore and whoremongering community trash.

Of course He does. He just doesn't justify sinning for anyone, especially not His own people. He's not an unjust judge to condemn the guilty and then excuse His own as 'not guilty'.

Don't forget the drunkards, fornication, thieves, homosexuality, lying cursings, etc...

I was never a wanna-be murderer nor depressed as a sinners. I still need salvation from my own personal sinning.

People can be delivered from murderous hatred and dark depression. It doesn't mean they're saved and walking in the true light of Christ with fellowship of God.

No one doing any unrighteous work of the flesh is walking in the light.

If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:

I'm happy for anyone not depressed. It doesn't mean we're saved and justified by Christ. If that's your testimony, then good. Now go for the real thing, and seek deliverance from all sinning with the flesh.

Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall: For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.
I didn’t read any of this. See ya.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It isn't true future sins are not under the blood of Jesus unless or until we repent therein making those sins able to condemn us unless or until we repent.
I'll take a stab at it. Present and futures sins are 'under the blood', until they are repented of?

In any case, there is no such gospel of 'under the blood'. That is a christian-type term made up for Christians excusing their sins. It's the same as saying the blood of Jesus only covers sins, like that of bulls and goats.

The blood of the Lamb of God cleanses and washes away sins that are past.

If we are sinning again, then there remains no more sacrifice for the sinning, because the blood of the Lamb cannot wash away sinning as it is being committed.

Paul is saying that if we are currently wilfully sinning again, then we must come to the cross like all sinners, to confess our sin, and be forgiven and saved and washed from it.

We must once again go to the Advocate for the whole world, just as any sinner of the world must with godly sorrow.

We are saved and washed from sinning, not while sinning, nor in our sins.

The righteous judgment of the Judge, is that He does not go back to commit double jeopardy upon someone, that He has found not guilty for past trespasses.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did you read the verse Robert? If we do not forgive others, Jehovah may not forgive us. Which makes sense if you think about it, why should He forgive if we are unwilling to?
Jesus said He won't forgive. The reason is He can't forgive the unrepentant.

Holding to hatred, vengeance, wrath etc... is hard heartedness. Not the Spirit of God.

For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God.

However, we can only forgive others that desire it. But we still don't allow bitterness to remain.