God SO LOVES The Entire Human Race

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ByGraceThroughFaith

Mar 14, 2021
Dudley
trinitystudies.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
John 3:16-18

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.”

Some would have us believe, that the Greek word, “kosmos”, which is rendered “world” in all English versions of the Bible, should take on a limited, special sense of the world. It is assumed, that, because there are instances in Scripture, where “kosmos” is used in the sense, where the entire world is not intended (and I will not deny that this is indeed true), that this warrants this limited use in our present text. Is this a valid argument? The present context will prove beyond any doubt, that this is not only not the case, but, if anyone would press this limited meaning here, to apply only to the “elect”, then it causes them problems.

Firstly, it might be shown, that there is not a single Greek lexicon that I know of, that says that “kosmos” here has a meaning that does not mean the “whole world” (that is, “everyone without exception).

J H Thayer

the inhabitants of the earth, the human race” (Lexicon, p.357)

W Ardnt & F Gingrich

the world as mankind…of all mankind, but especially of believers, as the objects of God’s love” (Lexicon, p.447)

Edward Robinson

the world for the inhabitants of the earth, men mankind” (Lexicon, p.440)

John Parkhurst

The world, i.e. the whole race of mankind, both believers and unbelievers, both good and bad” (Lexicon, p.336)

S T Bloomfield

“the world for its inhabitants, mankind” (Greek Lexicon, p. 227)

G Kittle and G Friedrich

“The cosmos is the universe (Jn.3:16-17, Theological Dictionary of the New Testament, One Vol. Ed., p. 464)

W E Vine

“the human race, mankind” (Expository Dictionary, p. 685)

Are we to assume that all of the above lexicons are wrong in the meanings that they give for “kosmos”? There is no doubt to the honest mind, that the use of “kosmos” here can only mean “the whole human race”. To make it mean something less, is a distortion of the facts!

In our immediate context, “kosmos” is used four times, once in verse 16, and three times in verse 17. If we were to limit its use in verse 16, to refer only to the “elect”, then we must carry on this use in the following verse also. Where we read:

“For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved”

Let is substitute the word “world” in each of these cases with “elect”, and see how it reads.

“For God did not send His Son into the elect to condemn the elect, but that the elect through Him might be saved”

If, as it is argued by some, that Christ only came to save the “elect”, then why would any mention ever be made about Him coming to “condemn”, or “judge” the “elect”? These words have no meaning at all, if they are meant to be for the “elect” only. There would not be any reference made to any judgement or condemnation of the “elect”, as this is something that is not at all even a possibility. John 5: 24 says:

"Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life”

The believer is said not to come into any “judgment”, or “condemnation”, as they have “passed from death into life”, which has already said to have taken place, when the sinner trusted in Jesus for their salvation.

Further, in verse 17 we read, that “the elect might be saved through Him” Here we have the Greek “sothe” (might be saved), which is in the subjunctive mood, which is used to denote “possibility”, in that it is not something “certain”. It is true, that as in verses 15 and 16, where the word apoletai (KJV “should not perish) is used, it is with the “hina” clause, which, though in the subjunctive mood, is yet in both cases “certain”, because in each case the negative “me” (me_apoletai) is used. This will then render the clause as “shall not perish”. However, in verse 17, even though “sothe” is used with “hina” (hina sothe), there is no negative particle used as in verse 15 and 16, which would require the clause to have the meaning of “possibility”, which is correctly rendered in English as “might be saved” Does this then mean, that the salvation of the “elect” is only a “possibility”? If we are to take the words to mean “shall be saved”, then we would expect Jesus to have said: “sothese”, as in Romans 10:9, “ That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.”

We should note, that in verses 15 and 16, “believes”, is in the Greek, “pisteuno”, which is the present, continuance, tense, literally, “continues to believe”.

We can only conclude from these facts, that there is no Biblical justification for us to take “kosmos” the this passage, to mean anything other than “the sum total of the human race”, and NOT as the Calvinist would have us believe, because of their theological bias found in the heresy of “Limited Atonement”, that it only refers to the “elect”. Can any honest mind doubt that this great passage is the hope of mankind, for salvation through our Great Redeemer, the Lord Jesus Christ?

John Calvin, had this to say on this verse:

That whosoever believeth on him may not perish. It is a remarkable commendation of faith, that it frees us from everlasting destruction. For he intended expressly to state that, though we appear to have been born to death, undoubted deliverance is offered to us by the faith of Christ; and, therefore, that we ought not to fear death, which otherwise hangs over us. And he has employed the universal term whosoever, both to invite all indiscriminately to partake of life, and to cut off every excuse from unbelievers. Such is also the import of the term World, which he formerly used; for though nothing will be found in the world that is worthy of the favor of God, yet he shows himself to be reconciled to the whole world, when he invites all men without exception to the faith of Christ, which is nothing else than an entrance into life.”

Calvin’s own language is what is not used by any “Calvinist” who believes in “Limited Atonement”. “all men without distinction” is the language that a “Calvinist” would use, so as to distort what the Bible actually teaches, yet the “Calvinists” own “leader”, John Calvin, himself believed that Jesus Christ dies for THE WHOLE WORLD, that is, EVERY HUMAN BEING!

Robert Dabney, who was a Calvinist, has this to say on the use of “kosmos” here:

“In Jno.iii.16, make ‘the world’ which Christ loved, to mean ‘the elect world’, and we reach the absurdity, that some of the elect may not believe, and perish…since Christ made expiation for every man” (Systematic Theology, p.525)

Reactions: Lambano

GISMYS_7

Jun 22, 2017
southern USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God is not willing that any perish but many still choose to reject.
The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance. 2 Peter 3:9

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello bygracethroughfaith,

What have you learned over all in your study of this if you would share a paragraph with me.

In Christ,
Matthew Gallagher

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Byfaiththroughgrace,

I read it. Just desired to see if you condense it down for me, you do not have to.

Thank you for your time,
In Christ,
Matthew Gallagher

ByGraceThroughFaith

Mar 14, 2021
Dudley
trinitystudies.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Byfaiththroughgrace,

I read it. Just desired to see if you condense it down for me, you do not have to.

Thank you for your time,
In Christ,
Matthew Gallagher

I believe that the Bible Teaches, that Jesus Christ Died for the sins of the entire human race, including Judas, Hitler, etc. However, this does not meant that the entire human race will automatically be saved, because of the universal Death of Jesus Christ, as this would mean universal salvation, which is against the Bible's Teaching. All sinners must "repent and believe in the Gospel" (Mark 1:15; Luke 24:47; Acts 2:37-38, etc), before they can be saved and go to heaven.

The so called "Reformed theology", that teaches that Jesus only Died for "the elect", which are few in number, is FALSE, and must be rejected as UNBIBLICAL.

Reactions: Lambano

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is cool how we have similar views.

You did a good job on your article.

Thank you for sharing it with me in a short form,

In Christ,
Matthew Gallagher

Reactions: ByGraceThroughFaith

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe that the Bible Teaches, that Jesus Christ Died for the sins of the entire human race, including Judas, Hitler, etc. However, this does not meant that the entire human race will automatically be saved, because of the universal Death of Jesus Christ, as this would mean universal salvation, which is against the Bible's Teaching. All sinners must "repent and believe in the Gospel" (Mark 1:15; Luke 24:47; Acts 2:37-38, etc), before they can be saved and go to heaven.

The so called "Reformed theology", that teaches that Jesus only Died for "the elect", which are few in number, is FALSE, and must be rejected as UNBIBLICAL.

I agree that God sent his Son to die for all mankind. Since the scriptures show us that God doesn't want anyone to be destroyed, its obvious that God sent his son to die for all mankind. The scriptures consistently show us that God wants each of us to love him so much that we will have faith in him. Faith that he exists, faith that he keeps his promises, faith that he fulfills his purposes, faith that he would never command us to do something that's impossible for us. We all have the ability to love God that much, the question is, will each one of us love him so much that we will have a personal relationship with him that shows we love him that much. So although Gods Only Begotten Son died for all mankind that doesn't mean all individuals of mankind will be saved.
Talking about those who are the elect, they are simply those who God chooses from the ones who are righteous who will be kings, priests, and judges wth Jesus in that heavenly Messianic Kingdom and they will rule over the earth with Jesus. These number only 144000. The majority of righteous mankind, that these kings and priests rule over, will live for eternity on paradise Earth and will number in the billions. Those who live on paradise Earth will have eternal life as long as they're obedient to Gods commands. Those who are the elect are given immortality and inherit incorruption and are beyond death.

Ernest T. Bass

Jan 14, 2014
out in the woods
The natural reading of the verse is the world is the total aggregate and the subsets "believers" and "unbelievers" would make up the total aggregate but the subset of the total aggregate that believes are the ones that should not perish.

The prior verses speak of Moses and the brass serpent and from Numbers 21 it says "And the LORD said unto Moses, Make thee a fiery serpent, and set it upon a pole: and it shall come to pass, that every one that is bitten, when he looketh upon it, shall live And Moses made a serpent of brass, and put it upon a pole, and it came to pass, that if a serpent had bitten any man, when he beheld the serpent of brass, he lived."

It was not just 'some' who were bitten that had been 'predetermined' could look upon the serpent and be healed. But any and everyone bitten could go, look and be healed just as any and everyone 'bitten' by the poison of sin can go to the cross of Christ to find a remedy for their sins.

Matt 11:28-29 "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls." Does "all" refer only to the "elect"? Are we to assume only the elect and no one else has been burdened, troubled by sin since sin enter the world? Any and all who have been burdened by sin can come to Christ to find rest.

Romans 5:18
"(a) Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so (b) by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life."
This is an if-then type statement...if (a) is true, then "even so" (b) is equally true. If (a) teaches "all men" are UNconditionally condemned by the offence of Adam, then it is equally true that same "all men" will UNconditionally be justified by the righteousness of Christ and that would teach Universalism. Yet Paul/the Bible does not teach UNconditional condemnation or UNconditional justification. The idea of the verses teaches "all men" who have been affected by sin since sin entered the world through Adam, that same "all men" can find a remedy for that sin (justification) by the righteousness of Christ.
"Calvinism is wrong when it claims that Jesus only died for the elect, that is, He only died for those God had predestined for salvation, apart of their own personal choices. Paul asserts that the benefits of the death of Christ are available to as many who are also affected by the fact that sin was introduced into the world. One becomes a sinner or walks in the footsteps of Adam in the same basic way that one becomes a Christian and walks in the footsteps of Christ, that is, both are the result of human freewill. We choose to go into sin and we can choose to come out of it."
Dunagan Comm.

Last edited:

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

If Calvin could post his ideas on your critique of his Hermeneutics like John 3:16.
He would agree with you,

He would denounce his own doctrine,

He would admit he is a false teacher,

He would beg us to not believe his lies,

He would admit that he served satan in this life not God,

He would beg God for mercy in his torment, just as the rich man and Lazarus.

btw, prior to Calvin's work the Catholic doctrines were no better,
Both are heresy.

ByGraceThroughFaith

Mar 14, 2021
Dudley
trinitystudies.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
If Calvin could post his ideas on your critique of his Hermeneutics like John 3:16.
He would agree with you,

He would denounce his own doctrine,

He would admit he is a false teacher,

He would beg us to not believe his lies,

He would admit that he served satan in this life not God,

He would beg God for mercy in his torment, just as the rich man and Lazarus.

btw, prior to Calvin's work the Catholic doctrines were no better,
Both are heresy.

The Bible Teaches universal Death of Jesus Christ, but not a universal salvation

Reactions: GRACE ambassador