God's Personal Name & New World Translation

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is God's Personal Name?

• Yahweh/Adonai/Jehovah

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • LORD (capital)

• Lord (lowercase)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The inspired New Testament Greek text uses “Lord” when quoting the Old Testament where the abbreviated name appears.

That’s good enough for me to have peace with using “Lord”.

Why do you think the "inspired" new testament Greek would change YHWH to Adonai, especially when calling on God's name is a requirement for salvation Micah? Rom 10:13. Are you thankful for God sending those of verse 14 and 15 to make that name known to you sir Jn 17:26

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God left his name a mystery.

And why does God need to be identified by a name anyway?

There are no other gods that he needs to be distinguished from because there is no other God besides Him.

There’s only ONE name that we need to be aware of and that’s JESUS!

“This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner. Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.” (Acts 4:11-12)

God didn't leave his name a mystery, that is what imperfect men have done. God is identified by a name because he is the one who gave himself the name YHWH. You may think when God gave himself the name YHWH, to be insignificant, but it was Gid who had his name put in the scriptures ovdr 7000 times. You talk as though God's name YHWH is not that important. That's the problem with those who think like that, they're arrogant, they're basically judging God wrong for giving himself the name YHWH and having it put in the scriptures. You say you know that it was Imperfect humans, who had Gods name taken from the Bible and replaced with words such as Lord and God. Does this mean you think those men were right in undoing what God did, when they took God's name YHWH out of scripture. I think or rather I know when God puts his personal name YHWH in scripture, it is to stsy in the scriptures. No imperfect human being or group of imperfect human beings has the authority to undo what God did when he put his name YHWH in the scriptures. But since you ask the question, "why does God need to be identified by a name anyway," You obviously don't think what God did to be of any importance, what I mean is when God gave himself the name YHWH, and had it put in the Bible, you obviously don't think what he did to be of any importance or significance. Which seems to me to mean that when imperfect men who had no authority to take God's name YHWH out of scripture, you think what imperfect men have done when they took God's name YHWH out of scripture to be more important than what God did, when God had his name YHWH put in scripture. When God inspires men to write down his thoughts no imperfect human or group of imperfect humans has the authority to take out what God has put in scripture. If the True God YHWH wanted himself known only by such words as Lord or God he would have inspired the scriptures to be written that way. He didn't have them written that way however, he had his name YHWH written in the scriptures over 7000 times, not that you seem to think what God has done to be of any importance. As long as you and others think that God's name YHWH is so unimportant by using words like lord or God instead of pronouncing God name as "Jehovah" "Yahweh" I'm going to always disagree with you. You are imperfect human beings, what you do and what you think doesn't come first, what God has done and what God thinks and says comes first. God put his name YHWH in the scriptures, imperfect men taking it out and replacing it with words like lord and God was and is wrong. you want to believe that what men has done to be more important than what God did, I'm going to remember that fact about you.

tigger 2

Oct 19, 2017
port angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Bar Kochba and the Christian use of the Hebrew personal name of God

"The Jewish belief that the parting of the ways came not at Stephen’s martyrdom but after Bar Kochba’s war against Hadrian [132-135 A. D.] is now gaining ground. Previously there had been no event sufficiently striking to sever the ties. Christians frequented the synagogues: they were still a Jewish sect. [See the ISRAEL study] But Bar Kochba was hailed by Aqiba as the Messiah. This the Christians could not condone and they stood aside. .... The Jews regarded the Christians as renegades: the Christians would not fight for Aqiba’s Messiah. The die had fallen and there was no recalling the past." - Encyclopedia Britannica, p. 167, Vol. 13, 14th ed.

Cochba [bar Kochba] ... tortured and killed the Christians who refused to aid him against the Roman army." - p. 42, Greek Apologists of the Second Century, Robert M. Grant, The Westminster Press, 1988.

“It was the generation following the destruction of the Temple which brought about a final rupture between Jews and Christians .... In the third rebellion against Rome [132-135 A.D.], when the Christians were unable to accept bar Kochba as their Messiah, they declared that their kingdom was of the other world, and withdrew themselves completely from Judaism and everything Jewish. The alienation process was completed. Judaism and Christianity became strangers to each other .... A wall of misunderstanding and hate was erected by the narrow zealotries of the two faiths.” [pp. 152, 153, Jews, God and History, Max I. Dimont, A Signet Book, 1962.]

The Septuagint (LXX)

“Starting approximately in the second century C.E., several factors led most Jews to abandon the [OT] LXX. Christians naturally used the LXX since it was the only Greek version available to the earliest Christians. In addition, Christians, as a group, had rapidly become overwhelmingly gentile and, therefore, unfamiliar with Hebrew.” - New World Encyclopedia (“Septuagint”)

So, at the time the Christians withdrew themselves from “everything Jewish,” they also began copying the Greek Septuagint as their “Old Testament.” It is no coincidence, then, that God’s Jewish name was removed from all their copies of both OT and NT around 135 A.D!

See my study: Examining the Trinity: Bar Kochba and the Christians

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm going to always disagree with you. You are imperfect human beings, what you do and what you think doesn't come first, what God has done and what God thinks and says comes first. God put his name YHWH in the scriptures, imperfect men taking it out and replacing it with words like lord and God was and is wrong. you want to believe that what men has done to be more important than what God did, I'm going to remember that fact about you.
So are you. Don't forget that.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Am" is a form of the verb "to be," to exist. "I" is a pronoun, not a personal name.

I think you know that is not God's name but embrace making false connections to what Jesus said.
Your English is better than your spiritual discernment.

God gave "I AM" as a Name of what to call Him to Moses...but it is confirming to hear you repeat your distain for the truth from God. :( Very telling.

tigger 2

Oct 19, 2017
port angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

God gave "I AM" as a Name of what to call Him to Moses...but it is confirming to hear you repeat your distain for the truth from God. :( Very telling.
“I Am”

In its commentary to Exodus 3:14, the JPS Tanakh, Jewish Study Bible, Oxford Edition states:

"God's proper name disclosed in the next verse is YHVH (spelled yod-heh-vav-heh. In Heb., in ancient times, the "vav" was pronounced "w"). But here God first tells Moses its meaning; ehyeh-asher-ehyeh, probably best translated as "I will be what I will be" meaning: "My nature will become evident from my actions."

Notice how ehyeh was translated at Ex. 3:14 in the following mostly trinitarian-translated Bibles: Moffatt’s translation - “I WILL BE”; Byington’s - “I WILL BE”; Rotherham’s - “I WILL BECOME”; Concordant Literal Version - “I-SHALL-COME-TO-BE”; Julia Smith’s - “I SHALL BE”; Leeser’s - “I WILL BE”; New World Translation - “I SHALL PROVE TO BE.”

In addition are the following alternate readings in footnotes: American Standard Version - “I WILL BE”; NIV Study Bible - “I WILL BE”; Revised Standard Version - “I WILL BE”; New Revised Standard Version - “I WILL BE”; New English Bible - “I WILL BE”; Revised English Bible - “I WILL BE”; Living Bible - “I WILL BE”; Good News Bible - “I WILL BE”; English Standard Version - "I WILL BE" .

And even one of the earliest English translations renders it:

14 God saide vnto Moses: I wyl be what I wyll be. And he sayde: Thus shalt thou saye vnto ye children of Israel: I wyl be hath sent me vnto you. - Miles Coverdale Bible (1535).

Notice too what the Encyclopedia Britannica had to say on this subject:

“The writer of Exodus 3:14-15 ... explains it [the meaning of God’s name] by the phrase EHYEH asher EHYEH (Ex. iii., 14); this can be translated ‘I am that I am’ or more exactly ‘I am wont to be that which I am wont to be’ or ‘I will be that which I will be.’” - p. 995, 14th ed., v. 12.

And among the most important of the early translations of the Hebrew Bible are the Greek versions of the Jewish Aquila and Theodotion in the second century A.D. [100’s]

“The versions of Aquila and Theodotion have ehyeh asher ehyeh and the ehyeh of 3:14b rendered into Greek as ‘esomai hos esomai’ and ’esomai’ respectively, which in turn translate as ‘I will be who I will be’ and ‘I will be’.” - Exodus 3:14 in Early Jewish and Christian Translations | Exodus 3:14 (exodus-314.com)

Further examination cements the truth that “I Am” at John 8:58 (or anywhere else) has nothing to do with Exodus 3:14, and does not constitute a name for God.

Examining the Trinity: "I AM" - Part 1
….……………………………………

Last edited:

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Do you spiritually discern the next verse, where he gave the name of YHWH, which is the name for him to be remembered all through time? Or do you just ignore it, pretending "I AM" is what he even said, which it isn't. There is no ‘great I am’ in Scripture and neither God nor Jesus ever actually said it. In answering Moses’ question, God 1st articulated his eternal nature. (This is why the VOICE translation uses the term ‘eternal’ for god.) There is something lost in the Hebrew to English translation of the indefinite verb of existing, to be. Who Moses is speaking to in Ex 3:14 is eternal, which differentiated him from other known gods of various regions. However, being eternal is a property of existence, not a personal name.

The Complete Jewish Bible renders the Hebrew as precisely as possible to English to ‘I am/will be what I am/will be.’ But thank God there is the definitive verse 15.
13 Moshe said to God, “Look, when I appear before the people of Isra’el and say to them, ‘The God of your ancestors has sent me to you’; and they ask me, ‘What is his name?’ what am I to tell them?” 14 God said to Moshe, “Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh [I am/will be what I am/will be],” and added, “Here is what to say to the people of Isra’el: ‘Ehyeh [I Am or I Will Be] has sent me to you.’” 15 God said further to Moshe, “Say this to the people of Isra’el: ‘Yud-Heh-Vav-Heh [Adonai], the God of your fathers, the God of Avraham, the God of Yitz’chak and the God of Ya‘akov, has sent me to you.’ This is my name forever; this is how I am to be remembered generation after generation.
Exodus 3:14-15, CJB

God explicitly tells Moses his name is Yahweh, this is his name forever, and how he is to he remembered. Trinitarian translators made us forget or prevented us from ever knowing God’s hallowed name that Jesus explicitly told us to keep holy.

The Suffering Servant who will redeem many, prophesied by Isaiah has a personal name, Jesus. God has a personal name that is hallowed and is not Jesus but Yahweh. NOTE: Ex 3:15 does not say in 1700 years, I’ll change my name or go by 2 names. And Ex 3:15 certainly does not say God will go by 3 names.

Reactions: Aunty Jane

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God has many names: If you google 'names of God' you will find them all. Or you could buy a book of which there are many. This is the one I read: Hallowed be Thy Names: Knowing God as You've Never Known Him Before (One Pound Classics): Amazon.co.uk: Wilkerson, David: 9781905044092: Books

Yes! God assigns many other names to Himself. Isaiah 43:11 reads:
"I, even I, am the LORD (JEHOVAH); and beside me there is no saviour."

Yet we know, Jesus came as the Savior, also. We read in Matthew 1:21: "And she shall bring forth a Son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins."

In other words, whatever name God assigns to Himself, He is still God

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME, IS STILL A ROSE."

To God Be The Glory

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“I Am”

In its commentary to Exodus 3:14, the JPS Tanakh, Jewish Study Bible, Oxford Edition states:

"God's proper name disclosed in the next verse is YHVH (spelled yod-heh-vav-heh. In Heb., in ancient times, the "vav" was pronounced "w"). But here God first tells Moses its meaning; ehyeh-asher-ehyeh, probably best translated as "I will be what I will be" meaning: "My nature will become evident from my actions."

Notice how ehyeh was translated at Ex. 3:14 in the following mostly trinitarian-translated Bibles: Moffatt’s translation - “I WILL BE”; Byington’s - “I WILL BE”; Rotherham’s - “I WILL BECOME”; Concordant Literal Version - “I-SHALL-COME-TO-BE”; Julia Smith’s - “I SHALL BE”; Leeser’s - “I WILL BE”; New World Translation - “I SHALL PROVE TO BE.”

In addition are the following alternate readings in footnotes: American Standard Version - “I WILL BE”; NIV Study Bible - “I WILL BE”; Revised Standard Version - “I WILL BE”; New Revised Standard Version - “I WILL BE”; New English Bible - “I WILL BE”; Revised English Bible - “I WILL BE”; Living Bible - “I WILL BE”; Good News Bible - “I WILL BE”; English Standard Version - "I WILL BE" .

And even one of the earliest English translations renders it:

14 God saide vnto Moses: I wyl be what I wyll be. And he sayde: Thus shalt thou saye vnto ye children of Israel: I wyl be hath sent me vnto you. - Miles Coverdale Bible (1535).

Notice too what the Encyclopedia Britannica had to say on this subject:

“The writer of Exodus 3:14-15 ... explains it [the meaning of God’s name] by the phrase EHYEH asher EHYEH (Ex. iii., 14); this can be translated ‘I am that I am’ or more exactly ‘I am wont to be that which I am wont to be’ or ‘I will be that which I will be.’” - p. 995, 14th ed., v. 12.

And among the most important of the early translations of the Hebrew Bible are the Greek versions of the Jewish Aquila and Theodotion in the second century A.D. [100’s]

“The versions of Aquila and Theodotion have ehyeh asher ehyeh and the ehyeh of 3:14b rendered into Greek as ‘esomai hos esomai’ and ’esomai’ respectively, which in turn translate as ‘I will be who I will be’ and ‘I will be’.” - Exodus 3:14 in Early Jewish and Christian Translations | Exodus 3:14 (exodus-314.com)

Further examination cements the truth that “I Am” at John 8:58 (or anywhere else) has nothing to do with Exodus 3:14, and does not constitute a name for God.

Examining the Trinity: "I AM" - Part 1
….……………………………………
Thanks--that all agrees with scripture which essentially says" I will be [known]. This is just one of a great many passages:

I will take you as My people, and I will be your God. Then you shall know that I am the Lord your God who brings you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians. Exodus 6:7

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So are you. Don't forget that.

Yes I am an imperfect human being but I'm not going to be like those imperfect humans who thinks God name should be replaced with words like Lord and God as though God did something wrong by putting his personal name YHWH in the scriptures. It's been said that some imperfect human beings used lame excuses like, ”saying that the name was viewed as being too sacred for imperfect lips to speak." But the Hebrew Scriptures themselves give no evidence that any of God’s true servants ever felt any hesitancy about pronouncing his name. Non-Biblical Hebrew documents, such as the so-called Lachish Letters, show the name was used in regular correspondence in Palestine during the latter part of the seventh century B.C.E.

It's been said that other imperfect human beings said, "it was the intent to keep non-Jewish peoples from knowing the name and possibly misusing it." However, the scriptures show that YHWH (Jehovah, Yahweh) himself said that he would ‘have his name declared in all the earth’ (Exodus 9:16; compare 1Chronicles 16:23, 24; Psalm 113:3; Malachi 1:11, 14), to be known even by his enemies. (Isaiah 64:2) The name was in fact known and used by pagan nations both in pre-Common Era times and in the early centuries of the Common Era. (The Jewish Encyclopedia, 1976, Vol. XII, p. 119).

Some have said imperfect human beings said, YHWH was replaced with words like lord and God to protect the name from use in magical rites.
Whatever the reason, this was poor reasoning, because if these imperfect human beings did replace the divine name YHWH with words like lord and God for any of these reasons or because of all of them, they were judging God as being wrong for putting his name in the scriptures in the first place. If any of these reasons were truly the reasons they replaced God's personal name YHWH with words like lord or God then these imperfect human beings were putting their reasoning ahead of scripture that shows that the True God YHWH did put his personal name YHWH in scripture. God did nothing wrong when he put his personal name YHWH in scripture.

Imperfect human beings who keep the True God's name YHWH out of scripture or agree with it being kept out of scripture are showing that their reasons for keeping the name of the True God YHWH out of scripture are more important to them and wiser to them, than when God put his personal name in scripture. I say this because if any of these reasons or all these reasons imperfect human beings said is the reason why they took the name YHWH out of scripture and replaced it with words like lord and God, go only by their imperfect human reasoning as though that's more important than what God did when God put his personal name YHWH in scripture, as though the True God YHWH didn't think things through before he put his personal name YHWH in scripture
I'm not going to agree with any of imperfect human beings reasons for taking Gods personal name out of scripture as though God did something wrong by putting his personal name YHWH in scripture, other people can think I'm wrong for feeling and believing this way, but all they will ever prove to me is that they think imperfect human beings reasoning or wisdom is more important that God's wisdom. God's wisdom is first and foremost, the True God YHWH put his personal name YHWH in scripture. He did nothing wrong by doing so. Any imperfect human beings who even imply by their reasoning that God did something wrong by putting his personal name YHWH in scripture are the one's who are wrong. Arrogant imperfect human beings will always reason in some way that it's appropriate or just to take or leave God's personal name YHWH out of scripture. Yet the True God YHWH not only did nothing wrong when he put his name YHWH in scripture but he never gave any imperfect human being the authority to take his personal name out of scripture.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you spiritually discern the next verse, where he gave the name of YHWH, which is the name for him to be remembered all through time? Or do you just ignore it, pretending "I AM" is what he even said, which it isn't. There is no ‘great I am’ in Scripture and neither God nor Jesus ever actually said it. In answering Moses’ question, God 1st articulated his eternal nature. (This is why the VOICE translation uses the term ‘eternal’ for god.) There is something lost in the Hebrew to English translation of the indefinite verb of existing, to be. Who Moses is speaking to in Ex 3:14 is eternal, which differentiated him from other known gods of various regions. However, being eternal is a property of existence, not a personal name.

The Complete Jewish Bible renders the Hebrew as precisely as possible to English to ‘I am/will be what I am/will be.’ But thank God there is the definitive verse 15.
13 Moshe said to God, “Look, when I appear before the people of Isra’el and say to them, ‘The God of your ancestors has sent me to you’; and they ask me, ‘What is his name?’ what am I to tell them?” 14 God said to Moshe, “Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh [I am/will be what I am/will be],” and added, “Here is what to say to the people of Isra’el: ‘Ehyeh [I Am or I Will Be] has sent me to you.’” 15 God said further to Moshe, “Say this to the people of Isra’el: ‘Yud-Heh-Vav-Heh [Adonai], the God of your fathers, the God of Avraham, the God of Yitz’chak and the God of Ya‘akov, has sent me to you.’ This is my name forever; this is how I am to be remembered generation after generation.
Exodus 3:14-15, CJB

God explicitly tells Moses his name is Yahweh, this is his name forever, and how he is to he remembered. Trinitarian translators made us forget or prevented us from ever knowing God’s hallowed name that Jesus explicitly told us to keep holy.

The Suffering Servant who will redeem many, prophesied by Isaiah has a personal name, Jesus. God has a personal name that is hallowed and is not Jesus but Yahweh. NOTE: Ex 3:15 does not say in 1700 years, I’ll change my name or go by 2 names. And Ex 3:15 certainly does not say God will go by 3 names.
Yes, God "explicitly" told Moses to elaborate in a way that Israel [specifically] would understand--but He only did so after He had already answered, saying "Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I Am hath sent me unto you."

I submit that what God did was much like saying "Tell them John sent you." and added (because of Moses' uncertainty, in vs. 13), "--Tell them Mr. Smith has sent me to you."

Both, of course, are correct.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
After what I posted, this is Willfully Ignorant.

Make a blessed day.
So...Moses was willfully apprehensive, God was willfully redundant and accommodating, you willfully prefer the redundancy, and I willfully am satisfied with God's first simple and concise answer...which you call "Ignorant", and then you perjure yourself by adding "Make a blessed day."

Terrific.