HCSB, the New Bible Reference Version

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christianity Board will now use the HCSB, the Holman Christian Standard Bible, as its default version for all popup references. I literally took months to analyze what version we would use. Many of you may remember back when we started with the KJV and then moved to the ESV (and the NIV for a very short period of time) a while back.

The reason for the change is simple. The KJV became a barrier to talking to people because of the archaic language. Additionally, recent scholarship provided us with more information and more material on what was in the original version. Our switch to the English Standard Version was based on this. Unfortunately, as much as I love the ESV, I still found its language confusing at times for others.

I started out looking at just about every major Bible version, and then zeroed in on the ESV, HCSB, NIV, and NLT. I think all four are excellent translations, for the record. However, I was not completely satisfied with some of the choices in the NIV 2011 version. The NLT is a great translation, but often the subtle meaning of the passage is taken away (metaphors, similies, and other figures of speech are replaced with a literal meaning). It came down to the HCSB and sticking with the ESV, but the HCSB simply does a wonderful job of using modern syntax.,enabling it to win out

This search paralleled a discussion and search within my own church. I consulted with my Pastor on the subject multiple times and we came to the consensus that the HCSB, which you will also see me call the CSB, is a great readable choice that conveys the Word of God. I now teach in person from this Bible and use it for my own study.

I would appreciate any responses not to devolve into a discussion or criticism that this version is better than that. However, I hope you will like our choice and find it to be the Word of God. In the coming days, I hope to introduce a panel where you can set your own version, just in case you prefer another version in your study. As always, you can change the reference link by simply including the acronym of your translation of choice (IE: John 1:1 ESV or John 1:1 NLT).

Psalm 119:105
Your word is a lamp for my feet
and a light on my path.

Yours in Jesus,
Denver

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
I think that is a good choice. I only use the KJV for quoting because since it is what I studied for years, its syntax is what pops into my mind when doing searches in bible software.

mark s

Nov 12, 2010
This is cool!

I had forgotten about the Holman. I had looked at it some years ago, and was interested, then lost track of it. This will provide a great opportunity to compare its translations with others.

Love in Christ,
Mark

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think that is a good choice. I only use the KJV for quoting because since it is what I studied for years, its syntax is what pops into my mind when doing searches in bible software.

Thanks for the support.

And that's fine. I think people should use a Bible that they are still comfortable with. I still quote from the KJV - did it the past couple nights I taught at church even. It's still the most poetic for me, and I refer to it. I have a nice Companion Bible sitting on my Bible shelf that goes back and forth between studying. I consult it often and I will occasionally even use http://www.blueletterbible.org to find a passage when I know the old KJV vernacular.

I had forgotten about the Holman. I had looked at it some years ago, and was interested, then lost track of it. This will provide a great opportunity to compare its translations with others.

Thank you as well.

The syntax (readability) was key for me. It's really not a bad translation. It misses in some areas, of course, like Ephesians 2:2 (which, it did change the awful-sounding "atmospheric domain" to lower heavens at least) - in this verse it tries to be too explanatory, but I've found that people across a wide range are comfortable with it. It includes women in many verses, but doesn't change other verses where it messes with the meaning or makes the text awkward.